home

Author Topic: Makhar Confederacy  (Read 2415 times)

Offline Karak Norn Clansman

• Members
Makhar Confederacy
« on: January 19, 2020, 11:19:10 AM »
Makhar Confederacy

Art Contest III saw new artworks created for the Makhar Confederacy, the Ninth Age's fantasy Magyar steppe nomads. This army is a spin-off cavalry variant of Warriors of the Dark Gods (much like Åsklanders are a spin-off barbarian variant of WotDG), complete with two-handed kontos lance cataphracts and giants armed with bows.

Artwork by Chevalier Rouergue2:

Artwork by a20t43c:

And my own doodle:

Makhar Flayer

Among the Makhar, some follow a darker path. That of the Flayer. Where the herdsman is content with his horses and sheep, the Flayer seeks more exotic and sometimes dangerous pastoral beasts. Chimeras, turuls, karkadans, and in rare cases humans; the more dangerous the herd, the more prestigious in the eyes of a Flayer. To control these perilous and unpredictable herds, Flayers mount the most spirited creatures: Shadow Chasers.

Makhar Flayer riding atop a Shadow Chaser, which I have interpreted as a large, feathered raptor. Primordial creatures could do with more use outside of tropical climes for fantasy. The mount in this drawing is probably too small to support its rider's weight, or at least so for any extended period of time. Perhaps it is a young one being broken in and trained? The depicted rider is female, as a reference to ancient Scythian and Sarmatian warrior maidens. Said reference may be wasted for Hobgoblins, many tribes of whom are based on Scythians, so better make use of it elsewhere on the steppe. Note the skinned arm in the grass.

Ninth Age fantasy Magyar rider drawn for Art Contest III.

Reference pictures

Do you happen to have any thoughts and ideas of your own to share? If so, please do! :)

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: Makhar Confederacy
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2020, 12:33:15 PM »
I haven't seen roping like that since the 2005 rodeo

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2020, 01:31:15 PM »
Feathers on the dinosaur.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 11:29:20 AM »
Fantasy Mongols / huns?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 05:27:07 PM »
I like the look of it! And I like seeing some Magyar style steppe kind of warriors. Hungary doesn't get enough history representation.

Offline Karak Norn Clansman

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 04:24:46 PM »
Cheers, folks!

@Rowdower:  :::cheers:::

@GamesPoet: Guilty as charged! I prefer them without feathers, but feathers mean a good excuse for shoehorning dinosaurs in up north on colder climes. ;)

@Warlord: Pretty much! Magyar, to be exact, but they're part of the same steppe nomad belt as the Mongols and Huns.

@Gankom: Thanks! Indeed. Most parts of the world don't register on the popular history radar outside their own countries.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 01:14:34 PM »
I'm thinking feathers on dinosaur is a good idea. :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra