home

Author Topic: another 100o point army list up for critisim  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Aaron

• Members
another 100o point army list up for critisim
« on: November 14, 2005, 02:13:30 AM »
captain                                                     124
sword or sigismund
full plate armour
barded war horse

battle wizard
level silver horn                                         105

18 swordsmen
full command light armour shield                 151
8 militia detachment                                   40

15 spearmen
standard musician                                      115
two detachments of 7 handgunners             112

8 knights inner circle                                  224
full command

helblaster volley gun                                     125

total 997

when i played with army i did really well against the green skins
the helblaster destroyed all but of 4 night goblins which didn't even get a chance tho release there fanatics. the silver horn is probally what won me the battle. overall this army did better than my previous one thanxs to all those the put in comments.

Offline Fafnir

• Members
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 10:08:43 AM »
Any particular reason your captain doesn't have a shield?
EDIT: see Africa for more examples ...

Offline Aaron

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 11:02:20 AM »
yeah he has a sheild i just forgot to write

Offline Racticas

• Members
  • The Anti-moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 11:24:21 AM »
As you play larger battles, you may find it hard to get the Silver Horn's bound spell off without a stronger magic phase.  If you really like it, another battle wizard or wizard lord (at the 2000 point mark) will go a long way to keep it working.  And the bonus: plastic wizards cost less real money per pop than those cruddy Empire spermen figures!

BTW, I have family in Darwin!  Say "hi" to everyone you meet for me and maybe it'll be them!
Quote from: Atchman
He isn't afraid at all to try new things, sometimes with terrible results.  :roll:

Offline matthewst1

• Members
  • Traceur
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 12:22:31 PM »
Quote from: Racticas
As you play larger battles, you may find it hard to get the Silver Horn's bound spell off without a stronger magic phase.  If you really like it, another battle wizard or wizard lord (at the 2000 point mark) will go a long way to keep it working.  And the bonus: plastic wizards cost less real money per pop than those cruddy Empire spermen figures!

What are these plastic wizards you speak of?
R.I.P. slippers :'(
www.parkour.com.au

Offline Fafnir

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 02:02:29 PM »
GW used to have a box (like the old, small boxes) of eight plastic spellcasters for Warhammer; save for a Dark Elf sorceress and a Chaos Sorcerer, they all belonged to the Empire. There was a Heavens wizard, a Metal wizard, a Beasts wizard, a Fire wizard and two others that I can't remember. (Unless the box only included six miniatures, it might, I can't recall). I still use one of them for my Gold wizard, though I don't much care for the rest of them.

Does GW still sell those?

Offline Racticas

• Members
  • The Anti-moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 02:14:02 PM »
Quote from: matthewst1

What are these plastic wizards you speak of?

GW put out a line of small plastics boxes using old fantasy and Warhammer Quest molds, presumably to sell to RPG gamers, newbies, and/or maybe kids who don't have a lot of money.  Each box had 8 figures; there was an orcs/gobbos one, and even a pretty interesting adventurers one.  The most beloved, though, of Empire generals, was the wizards box, which (in addition to a Dark Elf sorceress and a chaos wizard) had a bright wizard, a jade wizard, an amber wizard, a celestial wizard, an amethyst wizard, and a light wizard (or whatever practicioners of the lore of light are called).

They might not be sold at gw stores, but I'm pretty sure GW still produces them.  I got mine at Hobbytown in Knoxville, TN, and last I knew it was a product they regularly restocked.

Edit: Fafnir beat me to it and posted while I was writing!  Arrggh!

Either way, it's another boon from Sigmar to Empire players (the existence of that box and Mordheim is as precious as the Ghal Maraz).
He isn't afraid at all to try new things, sometimes with terrible results.  :roll:

Offline Fafnir

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 06:40:28 PM »
Hm. Amethyst wizard? Care to explain how he looks like? I can't remember an Amethyst wizard there. Are you sure it wasn't a necromancer?

Offline Racticas

• Members
  • The Anti-moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2005, 02:09:14 PM »
I may have failed to distinguish between the two.  There probably wasn't one if you say so; my wizards are 4,000 miles away from me right now and I wasn't interested in Death magic anyway, so I didn't really pay attention.

Offline matthewst1

• Members
  • Traceur
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2005, 02:37:21 PM »
Ooooh! I want! Sounds pretty cool. What are the models like? Are they good?
R.I.P. slippers :'(
www.parkour.com.au

Offline Racticas

• Members
  • The Anti-moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 09:13:42 AM »
Quote from: matthewst1
Ooooh! I want! Sounds pretty cool. What are the models like? Are they good?

They're fairly good.  The problem with plastic hero-type characters is that the detail tends to be a little shallow and there are spots that could use some carving/ hollowing out for a more 3-d look (usually around the edges of cloaks etc).  The sculpts are fine but would need to be one of your better paint jobs to look really, really good.  That said, quality varies among the figures themselves-- some are pretty lame, but some are quite better looking than their old pewter counterparts.  

If you buy the box expceting 8 awesome figures, don't.  If you buy it like a suprise question-marked box that's guaranteed to have a few good figures, definitely do.  If I recall, the bright wizard had a great pose (better than the pewter figure) but had some symmetry problems on the face sculpt.  The heavens wizard had a really good dynamic pose and no particular sculpting problems- I prefer it to any of the pewter wizards (he was holding a crystal ball up in the air, looking to the sky, and had a handily sculped dispel scroll on his belt; the pose made him rank up easily as well, which is a regular problem with wizards).  The light wizard had nothing wrong with it, but was naturally a little inferior to the pewter one.  The amber wizard was perfectly fine as well, but I don't recall the others as I only got the box for  those 4.  
Bear in mind that this is all my opinion and others (especially those that actually painted them) may think very poorly of figures I really liked.  I think the best thing is that it equips you to represent most of the lores for one low price.

Offline Fafnir

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 10:50:44 AM »
Racticsas: Are you sure he is a Heavens wizard? I have used him as a Gold wizard, because his outfit and headgear are almost completely similar to the new Gold wizard GW now produces.

Offline Racticas

• Members
  • The Anti-moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 02:15:00 PM »
I was under the impression that GW's 3 current pewter wizards were designed to be sort of vague-- the bearded one, for example, though painted as a Grey Wizard in the Empire book, could pass as an amethyst (skulls and staff), or amber wizard (wild hair and leather pouches) with no modification.

I have the same pewter wizard you called the Gold wizard, but I've seen him painted by GW as both a gold wizard and a bright wizard.  His ornamentation backs up my theory-- said wizard has paired brooches of the star and crescent (symbols of the Celestial Order) as well as a key ring (part of the ceremonial regailia of the Bright Order).  I'm pretty sure this is deliberately vague, to make it easier on everyone by not having to supply 8 wizards.

The basic outfit of the plastic Celestial mage is the same as the new pewter "gold" wizard (high collar, skull cap, etc), but I think he has the star and crescent or comet on his outfit somewhere.  I believe the Gold Order's symbol is a spread-winged eagle.

My comments about the plastic guys, though, are based on memory-- already demonstrated by the fact that I remembered some of it wrong.  For all I recall, this plastic wizard could have the "gold" molded onto his forehead-- all I know is that at the time I took a good long look and thought he'd make a perfect Celestial Wizard.

Offline Fafnir

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 05:13:17 PM »
Well I'll be damned...you're right, there are plenty of astrological references on my so-called "Gold wizards", even on the current one. Many of the other wizards are vague as well. This really has opened my eyes, Racticas, where before I saw the current range of Empire wizards as too restrictive I now see a plethora of possibilities! Neat.  :-D

Offline Racticas

• Members
  • The Anti-moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 01:03:13 AM »
For the life of me, though, I can't figure out what else the current Light wizard could possibly pose as.

Offline angryman

• Members
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2005, 12:23:48 PM »
The Celestial wizard also has a telescope, funny that, maybe cause its lore of the heavens :wink: And the models are pretty good considering the price and variety, pretty much gives you one of each order.

Offline Racticas

• Members
  • The Anti-moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2005, 01:38:28 PM »
Quote from: Racticas
For the life of me, though, I can't figure out what else the current Light wizard could possibly pose as.

Well, I took a look and changed my mind.  He has comets all over him, which is the other symbol of the Celestial Order (as opposed to the star and crescent).

Oh, and sorry, Aaron, for totally destroying your thread.  I'm in a bad habit of getting really off topic lately.  And the sad thing is, there might be somebody browsing the Elector's forum RIGHT NOW looking for a current discussion on the plastic wizards, and he's never gonna find it.

Offline Aaron

• Members
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2005, 05:11:53 AM »
that kool that army sucked anyway damm orcs beat me.