home

Author Topic: What to take against WoC  (Read 1311 times)

Offline 2apr1feb

• Members
What to take against WoC
« on: August 03, 2012, 03:01:19 AM »
I have been playing for about a year now.  Only a casual gamer more of a hobbyist.  When I do have time to get a game in this kid always has his WoC.  I have tried multiple set ups and my record is 0-6-1. 

Does anyone have any suggestions to beat him?  What do you take?

He usually brings 3 blocks of warriors with halberds, some puppies, occassionally some knights, and one decked out general.

I have been thinking, a large block of swords or halberdiers with detachments on both sides and Capt or Gen with CoC.
Specials would be Greatswords.  2 blocks on both sides of the detachments.
Possibly a WP, captains in all of the units, maybe a wizard (beasts or shadow)
This way no one runs...

Thoughts?

Offline Krudenwald

• Members
  • "Even Unto Death"
Re: What to take against WoC
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 03:30:21 AM »
He doesn't take any magic users? What does his magic defense look like - does he use MR and MoT?

I'd be bringing Lore of Metal. Even the signature spell rocks against WoC (unless he's doing the heavy Marauder list - which he doesn't seem to be doing). A couple of Searing Dooms later, and voila! I'm also a fan of a Level One/Two Shadow wizard throwing boosted Miasma around, but that's just me.
No, I'm sending it to people I reckon I can trust. Or, at least, people I think I can murder should it become neccesary.

Offline 2apr1feb

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 05:20:19 AM »
this last game was heavens and zeench(sp)  sometimes just zeench

heavens screwed up the helblaster and some knights that I took

Offline Roka

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 05:17:34 PM »
lore of metal is great like said above.

HBVGs + master engineer is wonderful agesnt WoC (and everything else) but id say hang back and let him come to you while you hang back with acouple HBVG master engineer combos and have some knights with WP chillin intill he gets close

We of the empire are above those soulless traitors to mankind, we do not have to out muscle them. simply out smart them.

if they have little or no magic i would harass the snot out of him with a level 4 metal wizard (depending on size of the game id use Balthazar Gelt, or have a wizard lord on a peg)

1. get him mad and have him start comming to you.

2. then when he enters the HBVGs range GET MAD! HES ON YOUR TURF!!! YOUR LAND!!! BLOW THEM BACK TO HELL!!!

3. the last step is when he gets into charge range have your knights + WP prove they dont need no stinking daemon powers to wipe the floor with them with a righteous vengeance for all the trouble those damn barbarians have put our empire though 

and for the wolfs hes bound to use as either war machine hunters or meat shields either have some state troops to block em, blast them first with the HBVG to show him what you are capable of, or just mess with them with some missile troops set way back and get them to break early on (out riders are good sense they are both fast calv/vanguard you can see where hes gonna move them and stay just in range (the further the better) and put the foul beasts down!

i hope i helped, idk what it is but i like facing any army of chaos. i think its great being the ordinary good guys and when you win its all the more sweeter. also maybe because i know how the people i face work or maybe they suck but WoC and DoC go down pretty easly for my empire peeps (not too much luck for my lizards :/ )
Now I want to kill these pointy-eared bastards, and preferably enslave their women, burn their cities, pour salt onto their fields et cetera. But how do I proceed?

Offline 2apr1feb

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 07:12:40 PM »
Few more questions...

He also had some damn spell that made the knight suck with a reverse armor save.  Is there anyway to stop that?  It sucks having to lose 85% of the knights that I took (9) with the general.

The only saving grace that some of them were able to pass the ward save due to the hurricanum close by.

As for the wizard, though the BG model is gorgeous, is he worth his weight?  Or is it the intimidation factor?  I am assuming that to protect him, he would go with some demigryphs?  Then would the demigryphs have to set back so that they can avoid combat?  Should I have 2 units of demigryphs?  That is the only unit that I brought last game for the first time that seemed to hold anything up.

Any suggestions?

Offline Krudenwald

• Members
  • "Even Unto Death"
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 07:55:48 PM »
He also had some damn spell that made the knight suck with a reverse armor save.  Is there anyway to stop that?  It sucks having to lose 85% of the knights that I took (9) with the general.

The only saving grace that some of them were able to pass the ward save due to the hurricanum close by.

I've never heard of that spell. The only spell that sounds remotely familiar is Nurgle's Cloying Quagmire, in which a unit takes an initiative test. If a model fails the test, an armor save is taken, and if the save is passed, the model is removed from play. But this doesn't sound like the same spell. Seriously, where did this come from?  :icon_confused:

As for the wizard, though the BG model is gorgeous, is he worth his weight?  Or is it the intimidation factor?  I am assuming that to protect him, he would go with some demigryphs?  Then would the demigryphs have to set back so that they can avoid combat?  Should I have 2 units of demigryphs?  That is the only unit that I brought last game for the first time that seemed to hold anything up.

Any suggestions?

I can't comment on Gelt (since I've never used him), but he seems pretty good. I don't think it's so much the intimidation factor as the +6 to cast, though. Also, he wouldn't need to be in a unit of DGK. He's got an 3++ against shooting attacks and will often have at least a 5++ against spells.

The number of DGK units is based on preference, I dare say. Some people like to run a unit of three. Some like two units of three. Then there are those who take a unit or two of four.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 07:58:39 PM by Krudenwald »
No, I'm sending it to people I reckon I can trust. Or, at least, people I think I can murder should it become neccesary.

Offline librisrouge

• Members
  • Also, Metal is Best
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 09:02:07 PM »
I can comment of Gelt and he isn't an intimidation factor. Hell, if he was the enemy would target him appropriately. You take him for Loremaster and +6 to cast. He's tough enough against WoC who don't have a lot of shooting any his job is to fly around hitting them with the signature spell, golden hounds on tough characters, and placing Blades of Albin on your HBVG (you did pack one didn't you.)
Much like Communism, a level three wizard is a waste of everyone's time and will, in due course, fail miserably.

Offline 2apr1feb

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 10:52:02 PM »
@ librisrouge- After multiple losses (most of them I would get creamed), I decided take something 'shooty'.  So I decided to take 2.  However, I did not take an engineer or two...

I remember there was a spell that he cast 2 or 3 times that negated 1 of the 2 HBVG shooting phases.
The second one I rolled 3 misfires in a row and unleashed the 30 shots.  Took out almost a full squad that he brought with the exception of one of his characters, banner and unit champion.

@ Krudenwald- "Nurgles Cloying Quagmire" sounds correct.  Maybe he explained it wrong??  I will pay better attention or read the spell next time.

@ Roka- I have always liked bringing a unit of Pistoliers for the same reason of harassing.  I am currently working on another unit of Pistoliers and a unit of Outriders.  The Pistoliers did a number on his puppies...

To All:
I will be picking up a BG model this weekend.

This game was the best that I have ever faired against him.

Are there any other suggestions?