home

Author Topic: 2,400 Comp Army - My First Tournament!  (Read 990 times)

CrazyJaws

2,400 Comp Army - My First Tournament!
« on: June 05, 2015, 12:17:35 PM »
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and new to tournaments! Please feel free to be as harsh as you like on this list as it's the only way I'll learn!

It's a fairly simple tournament in terms of rules, pretty much anything goes except no end time characters. Based on this and the models I already own, I've come up with the following list:

Lords

Battle Wizard Lord - 225points
Lore of life, Level 4 upgrade, Earthing Rod

Heroes

Battle Wizard - 125 points
Lore of Fire, Dispel Scroll, Level 2 upgrade

Captain of the Empire - 125points
BSB upgrade, Full Plate Armour, Enchanted Shield

Master Engineer - 65points

Warrior Priest - 92points
Heavy armour

Warrior Priest - 102points
Heavy armour, Crown of Command

Core

10x Archers - 70points

40x Halberdiers - 530points
Full Command, with 2x detachments of:
20x Free Company Militia
20x Swordsmen

Rare

Helblaster Volley Gun - 120points

Steam Tank - 250points

Special

Demigryph Knights - 204points
Lances, full command

Great Cannon - 120points

Great Cannon - 120points

20x Greatswords - 250points
Full Command

Total Points: 2369
Points Left: 31

Other models I have:
Capticus
Karl Franz on Bloodclaw/General on Griffon/Wizard on Griffon
Lots of Flagellants (like 40-50+!)
Handgunners (About 20)
Archers can change to crossbowmen (upto 20)
Knightly Orders/Knights of IC/Reiksguard Knights (about 20-25)
Swap a cannon for a mortar (can't see why I ever would for a tournie)
More warrior priests
Witch hunters
Wizzards
Evne more town militia

My main question is, what do you guys think of the list? Is it well rounded enough, is it competitive?

Also, what do you think of 20x greatswords vs 20x flagellants? I've found not many people have come up against Flaggies so aren't sure how to handle them, which can work to my advantage quite often. But they do die fairly easy and can either do a lot of damage or completely fail.

Any feedback welcome.

Offline CarolineWellwater

• Members
Re: 2,400 Comp Army - My First Tournament!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 01:20:19 AM »
(( CrazyJaws,

Hopefully these quick-thoughts won't be too late for you to use.

1) I know why everyone gets the Earthing Rod... I just don't find it terribly cost-effective or useful.  A number of the Miscast results really aren't that bad.  I'd suggest dropping it, and putting the points elsewhere... such as a Ward save for your Level 4 wizard.

2) For your BSB, if you're going to go the Full Plate + Enchanted Shield protective route, you might as well get the Dawnstone.  That way, you can re-roll your 2+ Armor Save.

2-A) I'd also suggest a Pistol.  It's cheap, gives you a 12" threat radius, and is pretty effective on a BS 5 character.

2-B)  Still, though, for its cost, I find Sigmar's Burial Shroud (aka Ulric's Cloak) to be highly effective.

3) For both of your Warrior Priests, I'd suggest shields as well.  That'll give them each a 4+ Armor Save / 6+ Parry Save, if nothing else.  Don't forget, you can attempt to cast your Prayer's on 1d6 with a decent chance of success.

3-A) I know why everyone gets the Crown of Command... but with the BSB LD-reroll you already have, and the four-free ways of keeping your LD high (Inspiring Presence, BSB Re-Roll, Steadfast, and Insane Courage) I find the Crown to be... costly, and not necessary.  I'd suggest dropping it, and putting the points elsewhere. 

3-A-1) And don't get me started on "Stubborn"... which is why I'm assuming you're getting the Crown of Command.

4) For your detachments, Free Company are about... useless.  Instead, I'd suggest getting two, 20-strong, Swordsmen units.  You can use the same figures... just have the "outer" figures be your Swordsmen, and your Free Company inner-figure-fillers.

4-A) Free Company, at T3, no armor, and WS3 Init 3 are easily chewed through.  Swordsmen, in contrast, can hold out decently, allowing them a better chance to cause "Disruption" in an enemy unit, and potentially even causing a wound or two.  Having two units of Swordsmen gives you an even better chance of causing Disruption.

5) With your Steam Tank, you should be able to drop one of the cannons, and free up some points.

6) At 2400+ point games, infantry blocks, especially Empire infantry blocks, need to be 30+ in size.  Any smaller, and it is easy to make them combat ineffective.  If you drop a cannon, you free up a number of points to upsize your Greatswords.

6-A)  Be advised, though, that Greatswords, while better than Empire core troops, are...  not that impressive for what they bring to the table.  If you want a Stubborn Unit, I'd suggest Reiksknights instead.  Better threat radius (7" + 3k2 over the Greatswords 4" + 2k2), Strength 4 at Initiative (6 on a Charge), and better Armor Save makes them a better hammer-and-anvil unit, all while still having Stubborn.

6-A-1) I believe you can even swap the 20 Greatswords for 8 - 10 Reiksknights.

6-B) Or.... anything Greatswords can do, Halberds can just about do, at considerably cheaper prices.  Sometimes just having a mass of bodies is better than having "skilled" Greatswords.

6-C) Don't forget that Greatswords / Reiksknights can get a magic banner.

7) Flagellants, while... entertaining, are about zero effectiveness.  I would suggest pretty much any unit over Flagellants.  I've never seen Flagellants do any effective damage, let alone significant damage.

Anyway, just some quick thoughts. ))