home

Author Topic: 1000pts vs WoC - please help!  (Read 508 times)

Offline Rakhaut

• Members
1000pts vs WoC - please help!
« on: February 05, 2024, 07:46:55 AM »
I am up against WOC tomorrow for a campaign, 1000 points.

30 EST, Halberds, FC 
  +Warrior Priest Ulric (General), Shield, Heavy Armour, White Cloak, Biting Blade

10 Xbow men
Archers
Archers
5 Pistoliers
DGK x 3

Engineer, long rifle
Cannon
HBVG

This is the first game of the campaign and I think he's bringing knights and chariots, and some monsters (Chimera, trolls/dragon ogres). He also has a character with wizarding hat.

This is what I'm considering bringing. Snipe champions/characters, cannon on the chimera/fast stuff. HBVG for area denial. Archers and Xbows as inspired by the Griffon formation.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: 1000pts vs WoC - please help!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 10:16:37 AM »
I feel like magic armour and a GW for the priest would be a better combo, or a ward save.
Just want to keep that guy alive.

Personally I don’t think small arms fire is all that useful… I would drop them all and get some knights. Have you considered a L2 wizard for better dispel?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Daymz

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 10:28:44 AM »
I would strongly recommend a wizard. Doesn't need to be expensive, but otherwise you are pretty much defenseless against spells...
Also, your army Leadership is 7, except for the DGKs 8. Add panic from the small units, and it's difficult to keep them in place... thus, I would recommend dropping some halberds (30 is huge, and your opponent will likely ignore them until they can be multicharged to death), and add a general with Ld9.

As of now, I can see where your list is going, but I fear Panic will be its downfall.

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2024, 10:32:27 AM »
How much magic does he have?

I would like wise drop the archers and the Xbow men. If you want small arms fire against chaos then handguns are the way to go.

DGKs are more than a match for chaos knights.  This list seems solid. Tell us how it goes.

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2024, 10:44:45 AM »
I would probably add a bare-bones level 2 wizard, but you'd probably have to drop the engineer.

I would consider giving your High(?) Priest the Armour of Silvered Steel and a Great Weapon alongside his White Cloak.

I would consider dropping your halberds to about 26 and switching your 10 man shooting detachment to handgunners for the AP. (This is 251 points)

Hellblaster should be good against T4 highly armoured chaos.
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2024, 10:48:23 AM »
I would keep the engineer though with the Helblaster.
I am not a fan of the HLR though. Keep him cheap.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Wolfgang aus Wien

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 11:47:07 AM »
Against Chaos Warriors/Knights, you neeed anything and everything that reduces or negates armor saves.
Strength 3 arrows won't hurt them.

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 11:09:31 PM »
I would strongly recommend a wizard. Doesn't need to be expensive, but otherwise you are pretty much defenseless against spells...

Wizards aren't bad but I don't think as critical - this edition I think you can leave them at home more than any other edition since 3rd.  Magic is impactful but honestly underwhelming.

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2024, 10:18:49 PM »
I am up against WOC tomorrow for a campaign, 1000 points.

How did it go? Did you make any changes to the list?
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!