home

Author Topic: Dragon Ogres  (Read 4751 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Dragon Ogres
« on: July 06, 2010, 03:03:56 AM »

I don't know about the recent fluff on Dragon Ogres. The old RoC books I've got don't mention their origins. But I'm just about done painting a unit of them for a commission job and my mind has started wandering.

I was thinking about the Ogre Big Names, and how the origins of the Dragon Ogres should be tied to the rarest of all Big Names: "Dragonf*cker." Because really, that's one Ogre no one wants to mess with.  :icon_eek:

Offline shavixmir

• Members
  • Tum podem extulit horridulum
Re: Dragon Ogres
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 06:02:17 AM »

I don't know about the recent fluff on Dragon Ogres. The old RoC books I've got don't mention their origins. But I'm just about done painting a unit of them for a commission job and my mind has started wandering.

I was thinking about the Ogre Big Names, and how the origins of the Dragon Ogres should be tied to the rarest of all Big Names: "Dragonf*cker." Because really, that's one Ogre no one wants to mess with.  :icon_eek:
As far as I know, the fluff centres around a sordid love affair of gigantic proportions.
Everything of value is vulnerable

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 06:16:44 AM »
Supposedly Dragon Ogres are older then the Slann and Old Ones. Some of the 1st creatures on the Warhammer World that decided to side with Chaos when the gates collapsed.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 06:48:45 AM »
Supposedly Dragon Ogres are older then the Slann and Old Ones. Some of the 1st creatures on the Warhammer World that decided to side with Chaos when the gates collapsed.

Yep.

Believe thats in the Hordes (or Warriors) book. I think it was also in the older Beasts book regarding the Shaggoth.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Von Breden

• Members
  • Remembering the Eccentric
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 12:02:54 PM »
They are older than dragons and ogres. The fact that they are half-ogre half-dragon is purely coincidental.
Quote from: Siberius
I never noticed your height on account of your fabulous manly imperial beard.

He who has such amazing facial hair will never be short in the eyes of his comrades!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 01:31:10 PM »

I like my theory about a badass hillbilly ogre better.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 01:37:58 PM »
I like my theory about a badass hillbilly ogre better.

Me too...but my High Elf mind says that there was more romance into it...an ogre conquering the heart of some dragon maid with sweets, flowers and poetry.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 03:32:41 PM »
Are we just talking about Shrek now?
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 07:24:49 PM »

I already pondered putting Shrek ears on all the DrOgres. The request was to make them meaner than GW's goofy ones. I figured it was near impossible to make them worse... But it's a commission, so no screwing around.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 01:05:54 AM »
Are we just talking about Shrek now?
Probably not, since Shrek is about two Ogres and not a dragon ogre. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 08:56:21 AM »
There's a Dragonass.

Also, a female Dragon. That hooks up with a Donkey. And they make Dragonasses. I would like to be able to field Captains riding Dragonasses.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 01:36:26 AM »
There's a Dragonass.

Also, a female Dragon. That hooks up with a Donkey. And they make Dragonasses. I would like to be able to field Captains riding Dragonasses.

If you buy the helf dragon I'll buy the riders and top half of the dragon from you
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 02:18:54 AM »
I think I've only seen the 1st Shrek film.  It was good and funny, but obviously not enough for me to go see the sequels.

Maybe I saw the first sequel on video, but can't recall.  If I did, obviously not that memorable.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 02:25:52 AM »
I saw Shrek 4 ED last week. Better then 2-3 but 1 is still the best.

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 06:17:58 AM »
There has to be some plastic merchandise little dragon donkeys.....hmmm it would be awesome to put one of the hobbits from lord of the rings on to one of them and have a fearsome new captasus.

http://www.16bit.com/toypics/shrek2/dragon/dronkey-left-full.jpg

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat150147a&prodId=prod1060297
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:22:32 AM by Fandir Nightshade »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 12:03:39 PM »
From dragon ogres to hobbits on dragon donkeys representing a captusus ... what a website. :icon_lol:

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 02:00:39 PM »
I was planning to proxy Chronopia "The Damned" as Dragon Ogres as I think the GW ones are so silly. The Dragon Ogres are some troops I wish had gotten redone in plastic with the new Warriors of Choas army book.

http://www.princeaugust.ie/target_games/tg20505.html
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 02:35:22 PM »
I was planning to proxy Chronopia "The Damned" as Dragon Ogres as I think the GW ones are so silly. The Dragon Ogres are some troops I wish had gotten redone in plastic with the new Warriors of Choas army book.

http://www.princeaugust.ie/target_games/tg20505.html

I kind of like these Umber Hulks here.

http://www.battlefield-berlin.de/shop/index.php?cat=WG1099&product=HELL_04

Offline Delthos

• Members
  • Evil Polish Guy
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2010, 06:05:55 PM »
I don't speak much German, but doesn't it say those are out of print? Also I can't tell, is $40 Euros for all the minis in that picture, or just the Centipede dude? Either way its too expensive for a unit of Dragon Ogres. Definitely some great looking miniatures though.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)