home

Author Topic: 9th age Empire meta  (Read 15257 times)

Offline grimgorgoroth

• Members
Re: 9th age Empire meta
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2016, 07:11:09 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback on my list patsy02, yes the 2 canons plus the Stanks canon are for redundancy and to kill at least one enemy monsters per turn.

Most opponents have a hard time dealing with my list. Because I have redundancy in most things, for example; I have lots of infantry I can buff very well, good magic and shooting. This Wednesday I have a battle vs. Warriors of the Dark Gods

At first I also missed guessing ranges, but now the game is much quicker with just pointing and rolling the dice. All the same an average battle for me can last at least three hours  :-P

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2016, 09:59:40 PM »
The guys I used to meet with don't want to try 9th BECAUSE it's more balanced.
:icon_lol:

That's pretty sad.

It used to be useless trash, but I've had some very positive experiences using long rifles now. S5 armour piercing multiple wounds 2 with BS5 is awesome. Considering taking multiple engineers/champions with long rifles.

Keep in mind the champion has to shoot at the same target as the rest of his unit, and multiple wounds 2 only applies to infantry, cavalry, and war beasts, most of which have only one wound.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2016, 04:07:58 AM »
Here's what I generally run:

Total Points: 2500
Lords (204pts)

Marshal (204pts)
Army General, Blessed Armour of Frederick the Great, Divine Icon, Great Weapon, Seasoned General, The Winter Cloak

Heroes (676pts)

Captain (147pts)
Battle Standard Bearer, Dragon Maltle, Plate Armour, Shield, Talisman of Greater Shielding

Captain (168pts)
Axe of Battle, Dragonfire Gem, Pegasus, Pistol, Plate Armour, Shield, The Black Helm

Inquisitor (115pts)
Crossbow, Locket of Sunna​, Lucky Shield, Plate Armour

Preacher (121pts)
Great Weapon, Mithril Mail, Ring of Fire

Wizard (125pts)
Dispel Scroll
Level 2 Wizard Apprentice
Path of Shadows

Core (655pts)

Heavy Infantry [parent](235pts)
Champion, 30x Heavy Infantry, Musician, Seasoned Soldiers, Swap Shield for Halberd
Standard Bearer
War Standard

Heavy Infantry [support](110pts)
Champion, Hand Weapon, 20x Heavy Infantry, Musician, Standard Bearer

Heavy Infantry [support](110pts)
Champion, Hand Weapon, 20x Heavy Infantry, Musician, Standard Bearer

Light Infantry [support](200pts)
Musician, Seasoned Soldiers
20x Light Infantry
20x Handgun

Special (825pts)

Artillery (125pts)
Volley Gun

Artillery (110pts)
Mortar

Artillery (100pts)
Cannon

Imperial Guard [parent](300pts)
Champion, Musician
30x Imperial Guard
30x Hand Weapon & Shield
Standard Bearer
Banner of Discipline

Reiters (95pts)
Musician
5x Reiter
5x Brace of Pistols, 5x Light Armour

Reiters (95pts)
Musician
5x Reiter
5x Brace of Pistols, 5x Light Armour

Rare (140pts)
Arcane Engine (140pts)
Arcane Shield

The general idea is to set up in a refused flank, and allow the enemy to come to you. Keep your support units near your two parent units. The handgunners should be even with and within 6 inches of the general's unit (the Imperial Guard, ideally). The army must be compact to deal with grinders and elite infantry. The army works together as a whole. Parry combined with the Arcane Altar means even the most elite units will need 5's to hit your swordmen and Imperial Guard, and if your wizard can get off some timely Shadow Miasma to reduce weapon skill by d3, your halberdiers and even your handgunners will be completely safe, while a lucky Mind Razor will turn your support units into grinders in their own right. Your handgunners can attract charges, which should make you happy, since as long as they are within 6" of a parent unit they can use that parent unit's ranks for steadfast, which still seems to catch people off guard. This is why you keep them forward, so you have those lovely counter charges. Shoot stuff til it's close. Use your reiters to delay and block individual units. Defeat the enemy piecemeal. If they allow it, combined charges with halberdiers and support units of swordsmen, or imperial guard with support units of swordsmen will be devastating. Static combat resolution will win you victory because your own soldiers will be well protected in melee. This is an all comers list. If you know your opponent, tweaks are easy.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2016, 05:32:20 AM »
Comes close to what I run.  :::cheers:::

Serious punch in infantry CC. I'm a bit surprised that the 'big' units are only 30 strong. With many support units, I guess that's feasible. You're an experience player to keep this orchestra together for mutual support and buffs. I'm often struggling myself, even with more concentrated points.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2016, 11:32:06 AM »
I started at 40 for my big units, but found the extra ten guys rarely helped and often hindered. My halberdiers are in a 5x6 bus, while my Imperial Guard seem to do better 6 across.

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2018, 05:54:26 PM »
Thread necromancy! What is dead may never die! REEEEEE!!!

I didn't see this thread when I first returned to the forum after having been away a decade. That was before T9A got its own subforum.

Seeing all the people in this thread playing T9A and talking about it, I have to wonder, where are you now? Did you just lose interest, or are you playing still?
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2018, 06:26:11 PM »
I have completely lost interest in T9A. I play Kings of War now.

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2018, 08:48:45 AM »
Wouldn't you mind to elaborate a bit about the reasons why you lost interest?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2018, 10:12:11 AM »
Seeing all the people in this thread playing T9A and talking about it, I have to wonder, where are you now? Did you just lose interest, or are you playing still?

I played my last two games well over a year ago. You may say I lost interest. Then again the frequence of my one-off fantasy gaming has gone down. So it isn't just T9A.

Wouldn't you mind to elaborate a bit about the reasons why you lost interest?

Not directed to me, but I've been pondering this a lot. I really liked T9A during 0.9-1.1. It fixed 8th ed and took it further by incorporating into the armies some units and concepts from the earlier editions.

I guess it's a combination of my personal preferences and the local scene. I'm not a competitive player and never go to tournaments, but the local T9A scene is all about that. I prefer campaigns and storytelling, and slow games with a good deal of meta talk. The like-minded people over here do not play T9A, but either older Warhammer editions or other r&f fantasy (KoW), or historicals. I go with the flow. And I've really started to like more abstract rules systems with 30-60 pages of rules.

Never mind if the 'competing' rules systems lack some balance. They do not promote overkill combos and  games done at deployment or end of 2nd  turn. They're not high-tempo micro-management. It's the story, the setting, the scenarios and campaigns that make it interesting. But mostly it's about the right people.  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.