home

Author Topic: 'March of Doom' - A blog of the progressing horde (copied from Da Paff)  (Read 3415 times)

Offline Arfa

• Members
Righto, considering the first two months have already passed Ill post up an update on what Ive already done this year, as well as a couple of photo's Ive been meaning to post up for a while now anyway.

First up Ill do my Empire. This year I have converted one squad of highwaymen (about to start on the second tonight) and Im just adding the finishing touches to my Knights of Sigmars Blood. I also have the main models for my detachment, just to show what they will look like. Photos are mostly good quality although the white metal figures dont like being snapped, but you'll see them better when painted.

My first unit of highwaymen. They are built from marauder horsemen (with all the Chaos carefully filed off) with militia bodies and a mixture of militia and new handgunner, state troop and flagellant heads. The pistols come from the militia and handgunner sprues, the flaming torch is made from a club and a goblin tassle. The champion has a blunderbuss as his repeater pistol as I wanted something more primitive but still capable of spewing out the equivalent of four shots a turn. Plus it feels more like a "Ahm gunna git mah guun!" hillbilly type of weapon, which suits the March of Doom styled force I have. The greenstuff needs a little cleaning up as does some of the flash etc, but apart from that its pretty much ready for painting.

The two units of Knights, including Warrior Priests. I wanted them to look less like prissy noble's sons setting off to make a name for themselves and more like veteran warriors who have devoted their entire lives to ridding the world of Sigmar's foes. I've always loved the imagery of feudal Knights Templar charging in, some with lances some with heavy maces & hammers, ready to smite all those who stand before them and God. Not that Im religious myself, but if those guys still rocked around Id probably would be just because of the pure bad-assery (shutup its a word!). Because of this I chose to base my knights of Bretonnians with all the frilly French nonsense trimmed away. I chose only two different helmet styles for the troops, instead focusing on different torso's and shields to make them unique. The torsos are a mix of Bretonnian (without frilly bits!), current Empire Knight and Greatsword torsos. The standards and lances come from the Empire knights with the banner top coming from the greatswords. Im currently waiting on the 2nd to arrive in the mail. The champions both have hand weapons, one wielding a morning star (after an impressive piece of artwork from Medieval- Total War II) and the other wielding a good 'ol hammer of Sigmar. The morning star head came from a skeleton box whilst the hammer an old Chaos warrior box, and both were attached to cut down Bretonnian standard arms. The musicians both have Bretonnian torsos and horns as well as chainmail hoods rather than a full helm. The metal hood came from the Avatars of War priest whilst the other was from a Bretonnian archer with hood, the chainmail modelled on afterwards. Again, definately needs a bit of work on the current greenstuff and flash, trimming the 'grass' between the horses feet and ground, and giving all the horses chainmail barding around their heads to make them look less 'Bretonnian heavy armour' and more 'Empire full plate'.

The two warrior priests are also included in these units as they dont ever leave them. The first is the model on foot with double-handed hammer and in my opinion one of the most badass models ever made. I've put him on one of the new Chaos Knight steeds, as well as a cut down set of legs (more just the excess cloth that has been cut down) although I still need to do a fair bit of blending work on this model. His steed has a hammer of Sigmar icon on his face barding as well as two parchments to replace what were giant leering skulls, these will have scriptures written on them once finished. The 2nd warrior priest isnt much of a conversion at all. He is the Warrior Monk from Gamezone, although I gave him a tome and also a shield which was left over from the Avatars of War priest.

Lastly we have the detachment, or the start of it anyway. As you can see it will be a witch hunter's dog pack, the three hounds leading the witch hunter and his small mob to the scent trail of heresy! Just need a couple more milita models to finish the unit, hopefully with flaming torches and pitchforks amongst their other weapons for good measure :)

Thats all I've done on my army this year worthy of note, the crossbowmen and flagellants are pretty much straight out of the box so I didnt bother to snap them, got another box to assemble first then Ill get them up. Here are some photos of some of the work Im doing for my flatmate:

WIP shot of his Dragon Mage. As you can see there is still a fair bit of greenstuff work left to do, I need to blend the rocks and feet as well as the tail and arm sections of the dragon itself. Building up the shoulders will be the next step, then putting the scales on before finally the mage himself. I based the idea off the Carnasaur dragon in the back of the Bretonnian book, but I wanted to make it a tad more impressive. I added a giant GW Rock(tm) for him to be perched on and gave him a more impressive wingspan, opting for the Balrog wings rather than dragon. Suffice to say my Balrog is now walking everywhere till I get him a new pair! I do have to admit I am doing this partly because its awesome and I want to (who can resist a mate saying "Heres my Carnasaur, I want a kickarse dragon"!?!) but also as practice for sculpting scales and upper torso on a big beast, as I still need to make my Wyvern for the Chaos Orcs. Two birds with one stone I guess :)

Anyway I hope you all enjoy, Im off to hack apart some Marauder Horsemen! :D

Arfa da Grate

Offline Arfa

• Members
Thanks guys, Ive just finished work on the last unit of highwaymen tonight here they are!

Ive gotta rush off to bed now but Ill comment more tomorrow!

Arfa da Grate

Offline Arfa

• Members
At last!

Ive been without a camera for months, driving me crazy! Finally I borrowed one off a friend for a day as Im selling a bunch of stuff on eBay but I have to give it back to her tomorrow, so I decided to snap some more of my work. Here goes!

First Flagellant unit, still adding the touches but the tones are there. Need to do the eyes and mouths on the minis but other than that the skin is done, still working on the rest of the models especially highlights, although the flames are done and I like how they've turned out.

The champion of the knights, just showing what the colours and final outcome of the unit will look like. Needs another touch up on the whites but apart from that its done. I gave them extra chain barding around the neck and between the legs to give them that harder look (difference between 1+ & 2+ save) and also to make them look that little bit less bretonnian.

The WiP of my War Altar. Being a witch hunter theme I wanted to go with something new, more fitting to the March of Doom than the prissy priests on the regular ones. I decided to go with the gallows for those witches and heretics that are too good to be burned, or when there just isnt enough kindling to go round! Based on two VC corpse carts and two chaos steeds ironically, pretty sigmar-ish hey? Still work in progress as I said, the back torch is going to be shortened and put on less of an angle, then a couple of scriptures put on the pole and of course replicated on the other side. The horses have scriptures over their eyes in the same way as Luther Huss' horse does, but based more on the illustrations rather than the model (which I hate). Still need to put the straps in the right place and get the 'fall' right, but Im liking how he's coming along. The priest is my favourite though, Avatars of War priest straight out of the blister - goddamn those sculptors have some talent.

The Mighty Cannon! Or at least it used to be when it was a bright red piece of plastic in the Battlemasters board game! Still a beauty, wonderful mini's with the right attention. Too bad the crew were far too - proper. Needed some true gritty crew to give it that feeling that they did just abandon their watchtower to rabble around with a crazed mob rather than being trustworthy professional soldiers. Another reason why I gave them the smaller, less expensive or up-to-date equipment that would be sold out or given to local border-watch rather than paraded around in royal artillery regiments. Theyre not mighty great cannons after all, more pre-used smaller calibre artillery pieces that have gone off to a small tower to die before the March of Doom stormed by and requisitioned it, or the crew just decided to abandon their posts themselves!

Finally this is my Steam Tank. Once I found the local yearly tourney was no comp this year as a last huzzah for 7th I just had to have one, but I had to make it fit the theme. I picked up an absolute bargain on eBay and got the Stank minus a whole bunch of stuff (the turret, wheels & shields) so that gave me an excuse to cut it to shreds and to splash some cash on the crew. The driver is an empire captain but as you can see he's missing his arms at the moment, they'll be replaced with a pointing finger and an old fashioned flame-thrower to represent the steam gun (and to burn the witches!), where the priest I wanted to be my 'true' Arch Lector - the highest ranking priest in the army even though technically he's not even a character. Ive been eyeing off the Black Templar's chapter master for a while now as an arch lector and just had to go for it this time round, so i dremelled off the marine backpack attachment as well as the combi-bolter and the giant kneepad and filled the gaps with putty. The kneepad was replaced with a sigmar symbol greenstuffed to fit the whole knee, the bible is from the flagellant sprue, the hammer arm was actually an axe and came from the old multipart dwarf sprue with the hammer head coming from a 5th-ed chaos warrior sprue. On the tank itself the two torches are leftover from one of the corpse cart and the comets from the wizard kit, with the small shrine a combination of the black templar and bretonnian shrines. Still need to touch up the front but apart from that this baby is ready for painting, should be good. For those who were wondering how the 'driver' is going to look I did a quick mockup in paint - here we go.

The flamer is from the 40k Witch Hunter, the pointing arm will be from a Cadian heavy weapons trooper. Anyway thats the lot, sorry for the slow update as I said no camera sucks balls, but let us know what you think!

Arfa da Grate

Offline White Knight

• Members
Great steamtank and war altar!  :smile2:
I like your arch lector conversion.  :::cheers:::

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
looking forward to see how these turn out good job :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline steveb

• Members
I like the stank, when the final battle comes you can be on the right flank of the panzer corp. steveb

Offline Auberoun

• Members
  • Moguling the crap out of life.
I like the stank, when the final battle comes you can be on the right flank of the panzer corp. steveb

hey steveb - what can I do to be a part of the panzer corp. ?  (I guess I should finish my old metal stank first, that's got to be worth at least a honourable mention in the panzer corp. right?)

Nice work on Helbrecht by the way, I have always wanted to turn him into a Empire fig, just couldn't figure out how.
The world you believe is reality is a puppet show!

Offline Arfa

• Members
Cheers for the comments guys they always keep me going :)

Nice work on Helbrecht by the way, I have always wanted to turn him into a Empire fig, just couldn't figure out how.

A hell of a lot of dremelling is the answer to that! Seriously, had no idea how much of a pain he was going to be to work with, but I like the end result so Im happy. Just added a few colours to him and the tank today, fair bit left to do so I wont bore you with pics. How should I paint him though?

Arfa da Grate