home

Author Topic: Excellent article on Age of Sigmar  (Read 13799 times)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Excellent article on Age of Sigmar
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2015, 08:01:34 AM »
I can't believe people are arguing that AoS is good, or worth creative adults wasting any time on. Everything about it shouts out that virtually no real creative effort went into it. Certainly in terms of rules and background it looks as if it was put together in less a weekend, and that by writers who were wanting to be somewhere else.

Before anyone shouts that I am 'limited' by my need for rules, I would like to point out I ran a rule-less RP campaign for many years that was nevertheless detailed in the extreme and very involving. The depth came out of immersing oneself in the story and the act of playing, the detail was game-world detail - all sorts including forensic files and maps and written reports of meetings and encounters and witness statements and speculative essays etc. It was fantastical yet deeply logical, and very immersive. It filled shelves with files and was inspired from a small library of books.

I'm trying not to use metaphors like traffic lights. Yodhrin's posts were spot on, being very insightful. Working rules can allow a world to feel real, and become one of the tools allowing the players to get creative - they can suspend their disbelief and yet still feel like they're entering an actual world. If not rules, then a satisfying and sound background and story. Aos seems to fail across the board in these aspects.

(BTW It's one thing to write: 'he's speaking out of his bum' but Shavixmir's second sentence in the post of 01:04:40 is just unnecessarily foul language.)
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #76 on: July 22, 2015, 08:52:29 AM »
I would agree to those points but that's only if what we've been given was the entire product. There's still alot more to come in fluff, models, updates and rules. So it's far too early to judge as we are but blind men examining a elephant, a much larger beast than we can guess at that has many different feels to it. To some a revolting snake and to others a sturdy tree trunk.

Of course, since it's at a infant state, there's no reason one can't look to other pursuits while seeing how it matures.

(Also, Shavixmir, that was rather crass. Could you edit that part out? We're all gamers that just want a enjoyable hobby, no need to be hostile to one another.)
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #77 on: July 22, 2015, 09:30:55 AM »
I agree, that Shav should not call out to him, but Yohdrin (especially as a new poster here) doesn't make friends with remarks like that with that people are speaking from their bum. Also his next sentence is his opinion stated as a fact.

Maybe people should stop claiming facts that aren't facts. And no you can't argue to me that AoS is broken, as I don't find it so because I look at it differently. But you can claim that you feel it's broken because it doesn't fit in your perspective.

PS: I'm finding it really hard now after a few weeks already that there is still so much flaming going towards the game AND it's players that do like it or are anctious to see where it is going to and seeing potentials. There is bound to be some lashing back (like Shav did) even though I don't justify that.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2015, 10:38:25 AM »
I agree, that Shav should not call out to him, but Yohdrin (especially as a new poster here) doesn't make friends with remarks like that with that people are speaking from their bum. Also his next sentence is his opinion stated as a fact.

Maybe people should stop claiming facts that aren't facts. And no you can't argue to me that AoS is broken, as I don't find it so because I look at it differently. But you can claim that you feel it's broken because it doesn't fit in your perspective.

PS: I'm finding it really hard now after a few weeks already that there is still so much flaming going towards the game AND it's players that do like it or are anctious to see where it is going to and seeing potentials. There is bound to be some lashing back (like Shav did) even though I don't justify that.

Even tough I hate AoS with a passion, I'd never insult its players by calling them names, unless they'd told me that I'm a loser for liking the older editions. To each their own. I may not like what you're playing, but I'm not going criticize you for it, or even try to convince you that you're wrong. That'd be some fine bullshit right there.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline shavixmir

• Members
  • Tum podem extulit horridulum
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2015, 11:15:20 AM »
I would agree to those points but that's only if what we've been given was the entire product. There's still alot more to come in fluff, models, updates and rules. So it's far too early to judge as we are but blind men examining a elephant, a much larger beast than we can guess at that has many different feels to it. To some a revolting snake and to others a sturdy tree trunk.

Of course, since it's at a infant state, there's no reason one can't look to other pursuits while seeing how it matures.

(Also, Shavixmir, that was rather crass. Could you edit that part out? We're all gamers that just want a enjoyable hobby, no need to be hostile to one another.)
It was edited. The original text mentioned body parts which would make you blush, sexual acts which are illegal and family members only trailer-trash alcoholic junkies think of in such manners.

All in all, I self censored to the extent that I'm embarrassed that such mushy, peace-lovin' hippie nonsense should pour forth from my fingers.
Everything of value is vulnerable

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2015, 01:23:35 PM »
This thread is so far off kilter from keel, and stern to aft, I had to relook at what the title was to recall what I had just entered into for a thread. :icon_lol:

(GP ... it's either your advancing age or maybe attention deficit disorder.)

Oh, of course, that's what it must be! :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline psychichobo

• Members
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2015, 09:16:41 PM »
This 'Beer and pretzels' approach really isn't making AoS a casual fun game if this thread is anything to go by...  ::heretic::

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2015, 09:49:54 PM »
Any game can be a narrative game if the players choose so. Hence, the statement "AoS is a narrative game" is meaningless, and cannot serve as a justification for a lack of rules.

Offline iatroblast

• Members
  • Invincibility at no extra charge!
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2015, 04:20:03 AM »
Suck my anus you rules indoctrinated child.
wow... chill bro

I think none considered too much what Porkix said
- 2nd game ... I play against chaos who only put 42 models on the table: 30 chaos warriors, skull canon, lord on manticore, soul grinder, lord on foot, 3 skull crushers and 5 chaos knights. I have 40 archers, 5 realms knights, 5 errant knights, 15 men at arms, 3 pegasus, 1 lord and 1 damsel (70 models). He claim sudden death because I have more models than him and the battle was a waste of time. I manage to kill the knights but the lord of chaos can bring a new unit on 4+ each of his turn so the knights came back and kill my lord. End of the game, I have killed 2-3 warriors, 1 crushers and I am wiped out...
I think it's very frustrating asking an opponent not to play this or that. For you who like AoS, congrats you found your balance. That means your army lists can't be much different from others, which would use restrictions. So why so opposed to a balance system? Unless you are playing with 30 chaos warriors, skull canon, manticore, grinder, lord, 3 crushers, 5 knights and a sudden death condition for extra trolling
Don't get me wrong. I always hated ETC rules. I was so upset when i wanted to play with Luthor Huss, but i couldn't because everyone thought of himself as a pro who must play with nothing less than the championship rules. Which they'll always be House Rules for me: all they did was "no this" and "no that"

What i'm saying is that you can never be truly free when playing a game. Either rules or agreements will set the boundaries in which you are going to play in. I just prefer rules over agreements cause i don't want arguments or surprises(house rules) before my games

Offline Yodhrin

• Members
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2015, 01:12:19 PM »
-snip-
Excuse me?
Suck my anus you rules indoctrinated "I can't function without clear-cut boundaries" child.

Just because you are scared to drive in a country without traffic lights, doesn't mean that anybody is talking out of their arses.

Can I just ask, since I have a spectrum disorder and often find it hard to tell; is this sarcasm/satire? Are you trying to parody that particular style of GW gamer who was drowned in company Kool-Aid and reanimated as an undying sockpuppet by Kirby's fell magicks, or do you genuinely not see the multiple levels of hilarious irony and logic-fail in what you stated?