home

Author Topic: Getting back to my Necrons (now with pictures)!  (Read 11984 times)

Offline Aldaris

• Members
Getting back to my Necrons (now with pictures)!
« on: November 27, 2013, 11:39:02 AM »
Recently I've found I need a little break from Chaos, so my fledgling Necron force came to mind. I'm considering expanding it into something playable and fun.

At the moment I have:
2 boxes of Warriors (24) painted, Scarabs not done yet
1 Command Barge, can be switched between Command and Annihilation, painted. Overlord is on a base and modelled with War Scythe and Res Orb.
I've done a few test games last year when I got them, using borrowed models and proxies to check the army out. It was fun to play, but the Bash and its hobby needs got in the way and so the army was shelved for a time. I think the way to go is to start with 1000 points, and then expand to 1500 and eventually 2000. Below are the "step armies" as I am envisioning them at the moment. Each one features a big Phalanx of 20 Warriors (well, 15 in the 1000 points version) as its core, because I like the idea of a huge mass of slow, zapping robots marching to victory.

Thinking about this as the 1000 points version:

***************  1 HQ  *************** 

Overlord (Boss, Regenerator and melee Beatstick.)
- War Scythe
- Mind Shackle Scarabs
- Sempiternal Weave
- Res Orb
 - - - > 160

Royal Court
+ - Harbinger of Transmogrification (joins the Phalanx to slow down potential assaults)
   - Seismic Crucible
 - - - > 40

***************  3 Troops  *************** 

15 Necron Warriors (advance!)
 - - - > 195

5 Necron Warriors (support!))
+ - Ghost Ark
 - - - > 180

8 Necron Warriors (stay home!)
 - - - > 104

***************  1 Fast Attack  *************** 

6 Canoptek Wraiths (chaaarge!)
- 2 x Whip Coils
 - - - > 230

***************  1 Heavy Support  *************** 

Annihilation Barge (the barge is also pretty decent AA should it be needed in that capacity)
- Tesla Cannon
 - - - > 90

Necrons total : 999

one more box of Warriors, a Ghost Ark, a Cryptek and 2 boxes of Wraiths would make this possible. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:58:54 PM by Aldaris »

Offline Aldaris

• Members
Re: Getting back to my Necrons!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 02:16:28 PM »
Bringing it to 1500 points will expand the Royal Court significantly (adding 3 Stormteks and a Veiltek who will remain a unit. Stormteks shoot 12 S5 Haywire shots every turn, Veiltek can add an AP1 template and, most importantly, allow the unit to teleport around the battlefield at will!)
The Annihilation Barge gets a mate, the Warrior phalanx is expanded to 20, home objective holders to 10, and a Night Scythe with 5 Immortals is brought in. Makes it 1500 on the nose.

- War Scythe
- Mind Shackle Scarabs
- Sempiternal Weave
- Res Orb
 - - - > 160

Royal Court
+ - Harbinger of the Storm (the 3 Stormers and the Veiltek remain as a unit - teleporting around and blowing shit up)
+ - Harbinger of the Storm
+ - Harbinger of Despair
   - Veil of Darkness
+ - Harbinger of Transmogrification (joins the phalanx unit to slow down potential assaults)
   - Seismic Crucible
- - - > 175

***************  4 Troops  *************** 

20 Necron Warriors (advance!)
 - - - > 260

5 Necron Warriors (support the phalanx!)
+ - Ghost Ark
 - - - > 180

10 Necron Warriors (stay home!)
 - - - > 130

5 Immortals
- Tesla Carbines
+ - Night Scythe
 - - - > 185

***************  1 Fast Attack  *************** 

6 Canoptek Wraiths
- 2 x Whip Coils
 - - - > 230

***************  2 Heavy Support  *************** 

Annihilation Barge
- Tesla Cannon
 - - - > 90

Annihilation Barge
- Tesla Cannon
 - - - > 90

Necrons total : 1500

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 02:18:37 PM »
I've always wanted to do a Necron force with the backstory being that this particular group suffered from some mechanical 'disease' which could only be somewhat contained by their regenerating abilities, not completely removed. This would leave them with obviously damaged and especially rusted spots. They would have been pristine white with black and metallic to show of the damage to its upmost.

With GW's prices what they are I don't think I'll ever start them though.

Ok, enough ramblings, your list......................................can't comment on it sorry, haven't looked at the Necron rules since their first plastics box. :unsure:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 05:52:24 PM »
Ok, enough ramblings, your list......................................can't comment on it sorry, haven't looked at the Necron rules since their first plastics box. :unsure:

OK, that is not exactly current...
:-P

As for the fluff of the army, I haven't really decided yet (the paint job is bone white, with ice blue contrast parts and gold decorations, on snow bases by the way). I'm open to good ideas in that respect too, I don't really fancy doing another variation of "someone nicked the crown jewels while we were taking our 60 million year nap and now the boss is pissed".

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 11:51:28 AM »
the paint job is bone white, with ice blue contrast parts and gold decorations, on snow bases by the way

I would like to see pictures!

Aren't necrons meant to be quite powergametastic now? How evil is your list?
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 12:43:30 PM »
Like most of my lists, moderately evil I'd say. I like to use good stuff, but I don't push it to the ludicrous extremes of internet-powergaming. After all I like to have fun, and that's a bit hard if all your list is a multiple copy-paste of 2-3 entries only and your opponent is pouting all the time.

And I'll see what I can do about some pictures!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 05:38:37 PM »
That one seems a fun 2000 points list as well. I have a lot of fun right now reading about the army, theorycrafting and clicking armies together.

Awesome shooting, some air support, good AA, good AT, and some assault elements. What's not to like?
Just as a note, the Scarabs and Tomb Spyders could easily be swapped for a Doomscythe. Lose two fun and fighty units, gain a toasty flyer. Emotion says keep the gribblies. But I'm not sure.

Overlord
- War Scythe
- MSS
- Sempiternal Weave
- Res Orb
 - - - > 160

Royal Court
+ - Harbinger of Despair (joins Deathmarks. 2+ to wound AP 1 flamer against their prey!)
+ - Harbinger of Transmogrification (joins footslogging warriors to stop charges)
   - Seismic Crucible
+ - Harbinger of the Storm (joins Warriors in Ark for AT and, well, 4 S5 shots beside that)
+ - Harbinger of the Storm (joins Warriors in Ark for AT and, well, 4 S5 shots beside that)
 - - - > 120

***************  1 Elite  *************** 

8 Deathmarks (they mark something that NEEDS to die immediately and take it on with the Despairtek buddy)
+ - Night Scythe
 - - - > 252

***************  4 Troops *************** 

15 Necron Warriors (foot-slogging dakka. With 2 Arks nearby and a Res Orb in the unit they will be very, very annoying to kill. I hope.)
 - - - > 195

9 Necron Warriors (amusing amounts of dakka! With a target for each broadside in RF range one would dish out 42 shots total)
+ - Ghost Ark
 - - - > 232

9 Necron Warriors
+ - Ghost Ark
 - - - > 232

10 Immortals (insert where needed.)
- Gauss Blasters
+ - Night Scythe
 - - - > 270

***************  2 Fast Attack *************** 

5 Wraiths
- 1 x Whip Coil
 - - - > 185

5 Canoptek Scarabs
 - - - > 75

***************  3 Heavy Support *************** 

Annihilation Barge
- Tesla Cannon
 - - - > 90

Annihilation Barge
- Tesla Cannon
 - - - > 90

2 CanopteK Spyders (crap Scarabs. Punch stuff.)
 - - - > 100

Necrons total : 2001

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 11:25:31 AM »
Concerning the fluff, I am considering something Battlestar Galactica style. Tomb world awoke right in a central Imperial sector, started purging the impertinent humans that had settled there and got soundly thrashed by the Imperial response that ended in Exterminatus.

The Necron fleetmaster realized the fight was lost before his Phaeron did, and managed to evacuate significant assets (against his orders) onto a transport fleet protected by a good number of warships. He then made good his escape, calling himself Phaeron of the Dynasty now that the crown world has been destroyed by the humans.

Since then, the fleet has been on the move, looking for a new, suitable planet to call their own. Phaeron Adamekh aboard his Battlecroissant will not let his robot-people down!
 :-P

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 11:40:58 AM »
Still no pictures!

What's the cheaty flier everyone hates? Is it the night scythe?

I like your fluff, but I have trouble imagining Necrons as anything other than the trade federation droids in the Phantom Menace! Roger roger.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 11:58:36 AM »
Still no pictures!

What's the cheaty flier everyone hates? Is it the night scythe?

Yes. The problem of that one is less it's fire- or staying power (although the firepower is not to be despised), but the fact that it is a dedicated transport for the majority of infantry in the codex, which makes it very spammable to those so inclined. In fact, except for Necron warriors, it is the ONLY transport available, so you actually need some if you want to play more than warriors and not foot-slog.

Pictures should be doable till the weekend.

I like your fluff, but I have trouble imagining Necrons as anything other than the trade federation droids in the Phantom Menace! Roger roger.

:icon_lol: So do I!

But hey, it kinda fits, since only the nobility and other elites retained personality and independent thought after biotransference. Regular Necrons actually have less personality than a federation droid, if anything.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 07:21:20 PM »
Because they haven't had maintenance, they look old and rusty :blush:

Please go rusty necrons, they look the best  :ph34r:
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 07:40:39 PM »
I already have 20 of them, plus an Overlord and swappable Command/Annihilation Barge painted.

The time to decide a color scheme has passed.

And they're not metallic at all (except for gold elements) but rather bone colored. Pics soon, promise!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 09:14:46 PM »
Sounds intersting, and looking forward to it.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 09:17:22 PM »
What isn't done yet is the bases. I'm still undecided on what to use as snow. I wanted to do the snow like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsOTFMDVh0g

Basically he's using baking soda mixed with white glue. Now I read somewhere that this mix might turn yellow over time. Does anyone have experience with this?

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 10:02:04 PM »
this might be worth a look too Aldaris
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAvE8WfzjMs
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 10:04:58 PM »
You're so incredibly predictable man, I actually laughed when that vid started to play.
 :eusa_clap:

Thanks all the same! Currently reading up on the topic a bit, and it seems you need to use the right glue, actual baking soda (NOT baking powder) and seal it with varnish when done.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 10:20:54 PM »
predictable?  Think I shared her videos from time to time.  I like the way she does bases.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 10:43:39 PM »
Nevermind, I always knew I was psychic. Something along those lines anyway.
 :wink:

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 10:07:32 PM »
Does anyone have experience with the Dark Harvest Necron army from IA:12? Because it looks pretty rad to me. Some serious upsides, one considerable downside, very fun overall.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 09:55:07 PM »

- War Scythe
- Mind Shackle Scarabs
- Sempiternal Weave
- Res Orb
 - - - > 160

Royal Court
+ - Harbinger of the Storm (the 3 Stormers and the Veiltek remain as a unit - teleporting around and blowing shit up)
+ - Harbinger of Despair
   - Veil of Darkness

If you are doing this, I would consider having a chronometron in there.  Veil can lead to bad positioning, especiially with such a weak unit.  Also brings up the question of how you keep this alive.

+ - Harbinger of Transmogrification (joins the phalanx unit to slow down potential assaults)
   - Seismic Crucible
- - - > 175

***************  4 Troops  *************** 

20 Necron Warriors (advance!)
 - - - > 260

5 Necron Warriors (support the phalanx!)
+ - Ghost Ark
 - - - > 180

10 Necron Warriors (stay home!)
 - - - > 130

5 Immortals
- Tesla Carbines
+ - Night Scythe
 - - - > 185

Why have 5 man necron unit in the ark and ten man squad holding the objective?

Why have only 5 immortals in the scythe?  Especiially with the teslas.

Just curious.  Very different from my builds and I am wondering what you plan is.  Could lead to some new things for me!

Annihilation Barge
- Tesla Cannon
 - - - > 90

Annihilation Barge
- Tesla Cannon
 - - - > 90

I see these all the time, but I don't like them very much.  Are they used primarily to kill fliers?
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 10:39:32 PM »
Thanks for your comments!

Playing around with the army composition all the time at the moment, while I wait for my latest purchases (a Ghost Ark and 2 boxes of Wraiths) to be delivered. The small teleporting Stormtek unit is gone (it would basically have been a more survivable "meltacide" squad, by the way. Hop in, kill the scariest thing with an AV in the enemy army extremely reliably, and then die), along with several other things I thought about using. Specifically, I don't think Tesla is any good on immortals considering the current rapid fire rules, and I don't think Necrons need dedicated objective campers. This ain't the guard! We can easily just beam troops on objectives from a Scythe when it's time (invasion beams rule is freaking awesome!).

Annihilation barges remain a staple I think - they are just such an efficient way to get a ton of S7 shooting on a quite sturdy and mobile platform. Math says they should do okay against flyers even without skyfire, yes, and also be able to damage pretty much anything else short of AV14. 2 of them is 180 points, for 2 twinlinked S7 heavy 4 guns that generate 2 extra free hits on each 6. Oh, and one non-twinlinked S6 heavy 2 gun that also generates the extra hits on 6. That's a lot of hits on average, and potentially up to 18 if you roll all 6s. For 90 points each they're a complete steal in my opinion. They are what a Dakka-Predator wants to be when its grown up.

The main thing I'm considering changing is using the Dark Harvest list from IA 12 as my primary detachment, with a small regular Necron allied contingent. What the Dark Harvest list offers that intrigues me the most is a fearless character with very good combat stats (Kutlakh the World Killer). I'd like to use him to make the big Phalanx of 20 warriors more reliable - normally they're very susceptible to being swept in assault, with Kutlakh in the unit that won't happen. And 20 Warriors that don't run and keep getting back up sounds awesome! Also, with the IA 12 list I can buy an upgrade for Warrior units called Flensing Scarabs. It gives a unit Shred in the first round of close combat they fight. Kutlakh is also a Phaeron, which gives relentless. So his big Phalanx can charge after rapid firing, and with the Flensing Scarabs, their boss and their numbers they should even do a decent job!

I can post an updated list if you're interested. Concerning the fotos, well - the friend who wanted to bring her camera was the one who broke her clavicle on the weekend we wanted to do that (as mentioned in the unhappy thoughts thread). So yeah, pics later I'm afraid.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 11:20:14 PM »
Thanks for your comments!

Playing around with the army composition all the time at the moment, while I wait for my latest purchases (a Ghost Ark and 2 boxes of Wraiths) to be delivered. The small teleporting Stormtek unit is gone (it would basically have been a more survivable "meltacide" squad, by the way. Hop in, kill the scariest thing with an AV in the enemy army extremely reliably, and then die), along with several other things I thought about using. Specifically, I don't think Tesla is any good on immortals considering the current rapid fire rules, and I don't think Necrons need dedicated objective campers. This ain't the guard! We can easily just beam troops on objectives from a Scythe when it's time (invasion beams rule is freaking awesome!).

My thoughts too. I have seen some numbers that give tesla a slight increase in effectiveness from 12" - 24"  but not much.  I guess if you are running the Traveler and give them to his special immortal unit with a lord in the unit, it may be okay... sort of?

I keep messing with the veil.  I really like the idea.  I also keep trying to find the points for the council to be in a unit together.  It could be really nasty, but I just can't bring myself to spend the points.  I almost want to do it with 5 crypteks with gaze of flame and 4 regulars for some nice AP3 assault shots, combined with 5 lords with scythes and mind shackles.  So many points though...

Annihilation barges remain a staple I think - they are just such an efficient way to get a ton of S7 shooting on a quite sturdy and mobile platform. Math says they should do okay against flyers even without skyfire, yes, and also be able to damage pretty much anything else short of AV14. 2 of them is 180 points, for 2 twinlinked S7 heavy 4 guns that generate 2 extra free hits on each 6. Oh, and one non-twinlinked S6 heavy 2 gun that also generates the extra hits on 6. That's a lot of hits on average, and potentially up to 18 if you roll all 6s. For 90 points each they're a complete steal in my opinion. They are what a Dakka-Predator wants to be when its grown up.

I see them all the time.  They are a mainstay in the most necron lists I have seen.  I don't have any built or I would use them regularly I think.  They are pretty inexpensive, and there is NO competition for heavy slots.  My only concern with them is that I so rarely see the tesla go off that I wonder if they do much in the list.  I can get almost a whole wraith unit for the cost of two!

The main thing I'm considering changing is using the Dark Harvest list from IA 12 as my primary detachment, with a small regular Necron allied contingent. What the Dark Harvest list offers that intrigues me the most is a fearless character with very good combat stats (Kutlakh the World Killer). I'd like to use him to make the big Phalanx of 20 warriors more reliable - normally they're very susceptible to being swept in assault, with Kutlakh in the unit that won't happen. And 20 Warriors that don't run and keep getting back up sounds awesome! Also, with the IA 12 list I can buy an upgrade for Warrior units called Flensing Scarabs. It gives a unit Shred in the first round of close combat they fight. Kutlakh is also a Phaeron, which gives relentless. So his big Phalanx can charge after rapid firing, and with the Flensing Scarabs, their boss and their numbers they should even do a decent job!

I can post an updated list if you're interested. Concerning the fotos, well - the friend who wanted to bring her camera was the one who broke her clavicle on the weekend we wanted to do that (as mentioned in the unhappy thoughts thread). So yeah, pics later I'm afraid.

Yeah, I would like to see it.  I have not read IA12 yet.  I normally have to wait for my torrent happy friend to download them before I get to see them!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 11:36:10 PM »
Here we go:

*************** 1 HQ + 1 Ally  ***************

Kutlakh the World Killer (joins 20 Warriors) - Kutlakh has Phaeron, Weave, Phase Shifter, Phylactery, Fearless and Fear and a special rule that reduces opponents WS in a challenge (roll off LD + D6, if opponent is lower WS is lowered by the difference). CC Weapon is S5 AP2 instant death, and a Staff of Light for some Dakka.
- - - > 220

Royal Court of Maynarkh (one joins 10 warriors in Scythe, 2 remain as a mini-AT squad and ride the empty Ark of the 20 Warrior squad)
+ - Harbinger of the Storms
- - - > 75

[Codex: Necrons] Destroyer Lord (in Wraiths)
- War Scythe
- Sempiternal Weave
- Mind Shackle Scarabs
- - - > 160

*************** 2 Troops + 2 Allies  ***************

20 Necron Warriors
- Flensing scrarabs
+ - Ghost Ark
- - - > 385

10 Necron Warriors
+ - Night Scythe
- - - > 230

[Codex: Necrons] 5 Necron Warriors
+ - Ghost Ark
- - - > 180

[Codex: Necrons] 5 Necron Warriors
+ - Night Scythe
- - - > 165

*************** 1 Fast Attack + 1 Ally ***************

[Necrons] 6 Wraiths
- 2 x Whip Coils
- - - > 230

5 Scarab bases
- - - > 75

*************** 3 Heavy Support ***************

Annihilation Barge
- Tesla Cannon
- - - > 90

Annihilation Barge
- Tesla Cannon
- - - > 90

2 Spyders
- - - > 100

2000 on the nose.

2 Arks support the big Phalanx on foot, everything else supports the advance.

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2013, 05:59:33 PM »
Dark Harvest list at least opens up the use of flayed ones.  The inability to take and hold objectives is what makes them so poor currently.  Not having access to Royal Court models is the other.

Anyone played with the idea of a Royal Court unit?  5 lords with scyths and MSS plus crypteks to give the boosts is a nasty little setup.  Like 500+ points though for 10 models.  Assaulting out of a ghost ark wouldn't be bad.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2013, 06:06:35 PM »
I haven't tried it - I think it's too many points by far. 5 Lords + OL would be about 450 points for 6 models, and 5 of those have 3+ and 1W.

Maybe take only one or two sets of MSS, but that's still too expensive to my taste. Flayed ones as troops is nice, but the current models are pretty bad IMO (pretty much the worst looking AND most expensive models in the line). So I'll stick to Warriors and Immortals I think!
 :-D

If I wanted the court as a unit it would propably 4-5 Stormteks or DestrucTeks in a Ghost Ark. Affordable and very shooty. 5 StormTeks actually sounds really nice - 20 S5 haywire shots for 125 points! I'd rather spread those around though, because it would be ridiculous overkill against most armored targets.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 06:15:51 PM by Aldaris »