home

Author Topic: Skaven match  (Read 1085 times)

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
Skaven match
« on: August 10, 2015, 08:06:45 PM »
My friend that plays Skaven tailored his army (still using 5 warscroll w/ 2 heroes or 1 hero & 1 monster) to face my steam tank/war altar and it was much more even. He brought a warp fire cannon and 5 warplock Jezzails. Technically this match up still should have favored the steam tank since he couldn't match my range. After a couple of rounds staring at each other and missing with my steam tank, I decided to get the war altar in range. That was a mistake. Both of those Skaven units can deal mortal wounds and the Jezzails have a -2 rend on the wounds that aren't mortal.

My DGK never got to roll a hit. We only made I through 4 rounds before we had to end it early and at that point all I had left was some of my Greatswords, steam tank and the Warrior Priest. I had taken out his storm vermin and warp fire cannon but he still had all of his Jezzails, grey seer and a hell pit abomination (that I had been avoiding all fight). It would have been interesting to see the outcome but it shouldn't have been that bad for me in the first place.

Made me think that high elf Phoenix Guard would be handy but really my troubles were self induced by blinking first in the stand off even though I had the only unit able to make attacks.

Offline Dosiere

• Members
Re: Skaven match
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 08:10:57 PM »
Interesting but why the standoff?  Everything can move and shoot right?  Why didn't he just scoot into range and start blasting away?

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
Re: Skaven match
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 08:26:04 PM »
He surprised me with that since he usually charges from the beginning. I think the last couple of matches where I blasted him heavily with the war altar (double damage against Skaven/chaos) made him hold back. He had equal or better range than the war altar so he wanted me to open myself up first. The war altar actually did kill the warp fire cannon but the Jezzails took out the war altar on his follow up. He also put a Forrest in his deployment area just for the Jezzails to hide in. All in all I felt he cheesed it up quite a bit but the war altar is just that OP against chaos so I don't blame him too much.

Just be aware that there are several Skaven units that can deal auto mortal wounds without having to roll to wound. Being overly cautious against Skaven is definitely the best plan.