home

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer  (Read 21934 times)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
Re: Total War: Warhammer
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2015, 01:11:36 PM »
Just wondering... A) will it be better than Rage of Dark Gods for Medieval 2

One would hope so, as the mod is free, and the new game will probably be around 50 Euro or so. That said, I do not pay more than 15 Euro for a game - even if it means I have to wait a couple of years.

Don't forget the DLC's. I'm also worried about the steady and continous decline of the TW series post Medieval 2. I hope that they'll treat this one with love and care it deservers. I'd hate to see another Mark of Chaos.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2015, 04:08:25 PM »
Still pissed about Mark of Chaos.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline Talben21

• Members
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2015, 04:04:56 PM »
Man Mark of Chaos... it was just almoooooooost a very good game, but it just fell apart.

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2015, 04:10:24 PM »
So do we know if this will just be for PC's or will it span other platforms?

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2015, 04:14:51 PM »
Man Mark of Chaos... it was just almoooooooost a very good game, but it just fell apart.

It wasn't bad. It was just... average and forgetable. As a fan of the setting I want my games to be awesome, not forgetable. Good music and nice atmosphere isn't enough.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline SoonerSox

• Members
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2015, 04:58:38 PM »
Just wondering... A) will it be better than Rage of Dark Gods for Medieval 2 and B) how many DLC's will we have to buy to enjoy the full game? Rome 2 started with 8 factions and ended up with 117. Some of them were free, but still...

Also inb4 High Elves will be the strongest faction of all.

I got medieval 2 just to try Rage of Dark Gods but the download site seemed to require a paid membership to download the entire package as it was divided into many files (they only allowed 1 free download as I recall) so I never got to try it.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2015, 05:31:12 PM »
Just wondering... A) will it be better than Rage of Dark Gods for Medieval 2 and B) how many DLC's will we have to buy to enjoy the full game? Rome 2 started with 8 factions and ended up with 117. Some of them were free, but still...

Also inb4 High Elves will be the strongest faction of all.

I got medieval 2 just to try Rage of Dark Gods but the download site seemed to require a paid membership to download the entire package as it was divided into many files (they only allowed 1 free download as I recall) so I never got to try it.

Try this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-warhammer-total-war

If you won't succeed PM me and I'll fit you with the mod. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2015, 05:45:32 PM »
The Battle march expansion made it pretty decent in my opinion.  I got the game for my pc and xbox, I've had some really great memories from the game.

Top three memories are using pistoliers to lure a enraged hydra into a dark elf spear regiment (they would have beat it if my handgunners didn't decide to get involved :icon_wink:), luring chaos and goblins into a narrow swamp then unloading all my artillery on them (it was a virtual cloud of bodies and red mist in the air) and making a Bretonnian-like army (a regiment of buffed up huntsmen and swordsmen and then tons on non-upgraded knights, knights panther as I like their crusader history and stamina boost) that clashed with a huge chaos force with my second wave of knights breaking their infantry and huntsmen took down their giant who my knights turned around so the archers could shoot him in the back.

The best part of that battle was that it was a reinforcements battle that ended up with my knights and the enemy's chaos knights filling the valley as they charged into eachother, it was epic.
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2015, 04:08:33 AM »
What do you guys think about the upcoming warhammer total war game?

Personally, i'm stoked.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2015, 04:45:35 PM »
Mark of chaos's campaign was linear (you don't get to choose anything pretty much, just battle after battle). Total war will at least give us the ability to build armies to defend altdorf from orc hordes, or perhaps find ourselves ambushed by beastmen in the hochland forest, and I'm sure they'll be some kind of naval thingy so we can have landing parties and some kind of warhammer naval battles.

I also forsee Tilean/estalian mercenary units for hire, some kind of tech tree where we unlock cannons, helblasters, better handguns, etc.

Also, completely new to TW will be characters. Hopefully they will give us the ability to have customized characters that either shoot fireballs or swing runefangs or pray to sigmar for us.

Mark of chaos just sucked because of the cruddy campaign, the lack of a significant multilayer community, and gameplay that was EXTREMELY brief and clunky. The AI would just charge headlong at you and clobber your units to bits before you could do any tactical manueveres. Also, there was literally no time to cast all of your spells and abilities so you ended up just watching helplessly as the two armies clashed.

TW has never been like that before, even with Rome 2.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2015, 10:11:58 PM »
Still pissed about Mark of Chaos.

Just make sure that NOBODY PRE-ORDERS the game.  Because if the company gets tons of pre-orders they cut production, release a shit game, take the money and run.

The video game community really needs to start buying games 1 week after release once reviews have been released. This will force developers to stop their stupid half-assed work ethic.

Remember Rome II? I never even touched it because of the reviews.  Saved myself sixty bucks.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2015, 12:05:08 AM »
Bought it and played for about 10 minutes.   :eusa_wall:

Offline Dosiere

• Members
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2015, 06:32:06 AM »
Could be an awesome game!  I certainly hope it will be.  No body seems to do real time battles like CA does, although throughout their games the empire building part is very hit or miss.  Ever since I first fired up the original Shogun game I've been a fan though.  A few turds here and there, but some real classic strategy games as well.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2015, 06:35:42 AM »
I'm in act 2 of "Mark of Chaos" and maaaan. Is it a struggle or what? I literally search for other things to do than play this game.

At least music's good.

Gneisenau

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2015, 10:18:14 AM »
Remember Rome II? I never even touched it because of the reviews.  Saved myself sixty bucks.
Pirated it a week after it came out, played it for 30 minutes. It was all smoke, mirrors, and bugs.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Phlash

• Members
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2015, 11:29:29 AM »
Pirated it a week after it came out, played it for 30 minutes. It was all smoke, mirrors, and bugs.

It is a good game by now. I have bought it recently and been playing it a lot. The trick is to use a hard campaign ai and have another player control the ai in battles
I believe that bringing a sub-par list to the table is the worse insult that I can make to my opponent. And let's face it, ANY Empire list that isn't a gunline of sorts is sub-par.
Quoted for unTruth

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2015, 11:43:40 AM »
There is no need to pirate stuff. Just wait until a game costs 10-15 Euro. By then, all bugs and imbalances tend to be gone. Mind you, for Oblivion I had to wait 4 years or so.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2015, 08:44:23 PM »
I think the main problem with Warhammer themed games is tthat they try to give us a fun game without directly copying the tabletop experience.

They could probably make an amazing game if it was essentially the tabletop game (turn based, using rule book to select an army, dice rolls even...) but then everyone would pay 60$ one time and never buy the miniatures.
Personally I don't think that would happen, it'd probably spark even more interest in the tabletop game, but GW fears it like the plague (or they would have attempted it already)

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2015, 08:31:32 AM »
Mark of chaos just sucked because of the cruddy campaign, the lack of a significant multilayer community, and gameplay that was EXTREMELY brief and clunky. The AI would just charge headlong at you and clobber your units to bits before you could do any tactical manueveres. Also, there was literally no time to cast all of your spells and abilities so you ended up just watching helplessly as the two armies clashed.

I think the combat suited the game well (especially the orcs and chaos warriors) in that you had to prepare your army for the full onslaught of the enemy. I remember setting up flanking maneuvers to block the a.i's flankers and catch his support units unguarded. I did that many times in the fog of war battles where my cavalry destroyed the foe's artillery before riding off, leaving the enemy vulnerable to my own artillery. My best flank attack was with my all dwarf army, the warriors held the dark elve's devastating charge while my hammerers and rangers out-flanked and routed them.

The best fights were the reinforcement battles, the game always kept you guessing on what it was throwing your way. I've had some very epic battle with that game, from my greatswords holding my faltering line against twice the number of skaven to battles ended by my massed cavalry charging the enemy's after we healed and reinforced ourselves after the initial battle.

I have no comment on the multiplayer but I thought the campaign was enjoyable enough. The missions were nice and simple with some twists, though I wish it had dark omen's important objectives choice were going out of your way for an extra unit could cost you later.

I'm in act 2 of "Mark of Chaos" and maaaan. Is it a struggle or what? I literally search for other things to do than play this game.

At least music's good.

Just a question, is it the original Mark of Chaos or do you have the battlemarch expansion? Also, forgot what act 2 is, is that when the Empire encounters the Skaven for the first time?

Agreed on the great music, the game's intro is also epic.
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2015, 07:35:56 AM »

I think the combat suited the game well (especially the orcs and chaos warriors) in that you had to prepare your army for the full onslaught of the enemy. I remember setting up flanking maneuvers to block the a.i's flankers and catch his support units unguarded. I did that many times in the fog of war battles where my cavalry destroyed the foe's artillery before riding off, leaving the enemy vulnerable to my own artillery. My best flank attack was with my all dwarf army, the warriors held the dark elve's devastating charge while my hammerers and rangers out-flanked and routed them.

The best fights were the reinforcement battles, the game always kept you guessing on what it was throwing your way. I've had some very epic battle with that game, from my greatswords holding my faltering line against twice the number of skaven to battles ended by my massed cavalry charging the enemy's after we healed and reinforced ourselves after the initial battle.

I have no comment on the multiplayer but I thought the campaign was enjoyable enough. The missions were nice and simple with some twists, though I wish it had dark omen's important objectives choice were going out of your way for an extra unit could cost you later.

At least music's good.

Just a question, is it the original Mark of Chaos or do you have the battlemarch expansion? Also, forgot what act 2 is, is that when the Empire encounters the Skaven for the first time?

Agreed on the great music, the game's intro is also epic.

The problem with games such as Mark of Chaos is that they have one gimmick: surprise!" Oh ok, I'll march my guys up that slope. Oh crap there was a Hellcanon and it blew half of my cavalrymen to smithereens. Guess I'll have to reload the mission now".

That's the general thing about Mark of Chaos. You go somewhere, then suddendly you get ambushed, lose a lot of guys to stupid things like Warlock or a Cannon and either reload the mission or continue playing. Of course there is no quick save so if you'll get into another ambush then those 30 minutes of gameplay can be for nought. I don't like things like this. It stinks of laziness and unfair thinking on devs part.

Chapter 2 is a meeting between High Elves and Empire and yes, the High Elves are assholes to the max. Still love those cutscenes.

Music and intro were top notch, the best things in this game without a doubt. Oh and also I like the thing that guys responsible for "Rage of Dark Gods" used most of MoC models and music. Good idea on their part.

Gneisenau

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2015, 08:07:36 AM »
Contrary to the table top game, I found Hunters to be a must in the computer game for situational awareness. I always sent them scouting way ahead. Often, you could then fire your cannons at dangerous stuff like Hellcannons without much fear of counterattack.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2015, 10:21:42 AM »
Contrary to the table top game, I found Hunters to be a must in the computer game for situational awareness. I always sent them scouting way ahead. Often, you could then fire your cannons at dangerous stuff like Hellcannons without much fear of counterattack.

I agree. One time my Hunters cleared the enemy's flank all by themselves and went on to provide effecting cover fire for the rest of my army. Now that was good.

I wish they wouldn't suck in TT.

Gneisenau

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2015, 11:36:32 AM »
I must admit hardly ever used them to attack themselves, just to pierce the fog of war and locate the enemy. A cannon can shoot at anything the hunters can see, and the enemy does not know what hits them.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2015, 12:54:27 PM »
I must admit hardly ever used them to attack themselves, just to pierce the fog of war and locate the enemy. A cannon can shoot at anything the hunters can see, and the enemy does not know what hits them.

I'll remember that when trying to finish this damn mission that I'm stuck on currently. :-P

Gneisenau