home

Author Topic: Rheim, The Broken City: Army blog->Updated 20 Nov 09  (Read 20017 times)

Offline Orion

• Members
  • The Hunter (aka Von Decker)
Rheim, The Broken City: Army blog->Updated 20 Nov 09
« on: December 01, 2008, 12:36:21 PM »
Hi!

after a lot of time doing one thing or another, and not advancing on the way of having a playable army painted, I have decided to stop, think and decide what to work on and in what order. I will try to make things to build up a 1500pt force, and keep addings thing to it...

Now...I have a plan!  :icon_cool:

First thing: Army fluff

Rheim, the Broken City

Far beyond the Black Fire Pass stands Rheim, or what remains from it. Founded near the Year 2100 by Maximilian II, a descendant of the Last Solland Elector Count, in his mad attemp to found his own empire. It was soon devastated by Orcs, and never founded again. But now, there are another inhabitants on the Rheim Ruins...Several years ago, a general and his men failed in something too dark to be told...Him, Albert Von Schilling, and couple of his regiments decided to find death, but killing so many empire enemies as they can, with the hope that Sigmar can forgive his faults. They cross the Black Fire Pass, and desappear from the empire lands...

Now, the rumours that are spread all over the empire armies tell that they still resist at the Broken City of Rheim. Sometimes, someone is beyond the forgiveness that his friends, relatives or priests can give. Then, if his will is strong, he says goodbye to the Empire, and goes down the Black Fire Pass, hoping to find his Destiny at Rheim...

Life is short and thought at Rheim. It is far beyond the first defensive line of the Empire, and there is no one to call for help when the enemies approach. If the ones that fall there obtain the forgiveness or the rest that they look for, is still to be known...

Second thing: Army appaerance and color schema:

I want the army to be on a city scenario, with ruins on the bases, movement bases and unit fillers. I was using a white and purple schema, but it was to brilliant to the grim look that I want for the army (And someone on this forum said that they were pink ), so I change it to black/purple (thanks for the tips on black, guys). Here is the test model, how it was before and how it is now:

Before (he is the one on the right)

And now

Third thing: The plan and the ideas for units

This are the things I want to do, in orden (more or less, maybe I chage some of them)

25 Lancers: From the 6º edition ones, making them pikemen with longer lances, and giving them a look as they are ready to comfront a charge. I really want the idea of a 'Pike Wall' so I´m going to do the first line to be kneeling, and the second one with the pikes over them. Just trying to find a way of make a good group command being kneeling...

5 Knights of the order of the Fallen Ones. They are an order that his menbers have done things so few honorables, that they are beyond Sigmar compassion. They devote Morr, if not looking for forgive, at least for the rest that the Death God can give. But as Death is a gift that is given but cannot be reclaim, they always fight when there is an oportunity, waiting for the promised rest from they sins. As they are death to this world, they never so his face in public.

I want to make them from 5ed brettonian knights, and a Grand Master from the Green Knight, giving them a bit of Morr Feeling

25 Swordman: From 6ed Swordman, with a charging look. Will use the front rank from the last conversion contest

20 Greatswrods : I dont like the metal ones, so I´m going to use militia and state troops bodies, with the two hands swords that comes with militia and state troops sprue. I´m also going to try to greenstuff the Heavy Armor...

Flagellants: The order of the Eternal Flame. When Sigmar dessapear thorught the Black Fire Pass, He promise to come back. Some years ago, the Saint Johanna received a revelation, and with out talking to no one, she comes to Rheim and light a enourmous flame on the middle of the Ruins. Without this flame to sow him the way, is believed that Sigmar will not be able to return when the empire need him, so the Sisters of the Eternal Flame defend and keep the flame on Rheim no matter what dark criatures are atract by the brilliant light.

I will use Sigmar Sisters form Mordhiem to represent them...with a Unit filler representing the flame...just need to get a few Sigmar sisters...

General on griffon and Captasus: Will make them just jumping or standing on ruined towers, or something similar. I going to make the griifon from DeathClaw, but making him more heavy armored with Green Stuff.

War Altar: Something similar to the one I made to the exchange mini, but with the Superior Sister Frieda of the Eternal Flame instead of the Archlector. Will use thing figure:

http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/03222

Changing the axe for a hammer, of course...  :roll: 

Well, lot of work in the future, but I really animated. I will be posting the advances here.

Please, comments and criticism on the test model, ideas for units, examples, advices, etc, will be very apreciated!!  :-)

And sorry for the long post  :icon_redface:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 12:05:53 AM by Orion »

Offline WallyTWest

• Members
  • 'Lux Mundi'
Re: Rheim, The Broken City: Army blog ->1 Dic 08: The Test & The Plan
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 02:00:37 PM »
Good beginings, and it looks like a promising start.

A sudjestion, make a to do list and feel free to post it. It will keep you honest to yourself.

Im looking forward to what you develop! Nice test miniatures
It’s all about Renaissance Punk.

Offline Jodocus

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 02:15:35 PM »
That fluff is very good! I like the idea of bad men living in a bad place. All very sad. About the greatswords, you can wait a little with them because GW might/is going to make some new ones next summer. That will save you loads of greenstuffing!
Put Sigmar in your SIGnature

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 02:26:34 PM »
Really like the new colour scheme, though the other one was a daring concept!

It does look really gritty though, which is cool. I look forward to seeing more...
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Orion

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 12:22:54 AM »
Well, firts of all, sorry for the threadomancy...this was the topic for my army, and I have put this in movement againg, so I prefer not to open a new topic.

After doing the test model that I have already show, I painted the General on griffon for the conversion contest:

The problem was that trying to highlight the purple, I ended in a pink colour...and the blask was too greyish, so at the end it was more a grey/pink schema...  :eusa_wall: and after a lot of people pointing that, I decided to try another schemas:

- white/dark purple
- black/orange

with no good results...

So i decided that the problem was not the schema but the colours, so I try to do a darker black, and avoid using anything more lighther that Warlock Purple. I finish in this:

I have the spearmen from the basic box of 6º edition...and before painting anything else, I decided that I have to paint that minis, that were the first that I had...

So I have decided to make a unit of 25 spearmen, and put them in a payable base that represents a fortress entrance (being consistent with the general tower), with a drawbridge and the spearmen defending it with a shields wall...and water below...

Will take some time, but as you already have noticed, this is a bit slow updated flog!  :-D

Of course C&C are welcome...I want to stablish a definately colour schema for the army...after a year and a half, having two minis painted and a lot in brake fluid...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 12:25:28 AM by Orion »

Offline Taggra Foecarver

• Members
That barded war griffon is incredible!  Do you have any more pics of that and any more info to share on how you did that conversion?

Offline pepe

• Members
wow that rocks big time! your griffon is a masterpiece and the concept of his tower base is just perfect.  :eusa_clap:

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
That griffon general is pretty awesome.  I love the tower, it's very grandiose!  I'm a little worries about it tipping over with that heavy griffon at the top (hope you put some weights in the base!).  I'd hate to see it topple over and snap off a griffon wing.  :icon_eek:

I've gotta say, I'm not really liking the new color scheme.  It's too dark and hard to see.  The spearman looks like he's wearing all black, and the sheild heraldry is almost too dark to make out. 

I think you need a little more contrast between your two colors.  A brighter purple might work, or perhaps a lighter black color, like a charcoal grey.

You could also do white. black, and purple.  White compliments black and purple very nicely.

For example, on the spearmna, you could give him white socks, and then do the sleeves and pants with a quartered black/purple scheme (with a slightly brighter purple for contrast).

For troops with tights (as opposed to slash and puff trousers) you could do black and white stripes (very dashing!) quartered with purple. Checkerboard or diamond patterns are much harder than stripes but look terrific with purples.  Splash  a little mud and grime on the white to make it look lived in.

If that doesn't appeal to you, you might consider a purple and brown color scheme.  Go with a lighter brown to offset that dark purple.  It'll look dirty and gritty, but you'll be able to see it much better.
Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

Offline Herostratos

• Members
I partially agree with Pete here.

I think white would make the scheme look bleak, but that's my preference for warmer colours talking. The spearman looks fine as is but he could do with a couple of small, colourful highlights to make him look less monochrome. Yellow tassels on the spear could do the trick, or light stockings as Pete suggested. I'd go for a yellow beige there too. Maybe even a light trim on the shield, right inside the metal banding.

The griffon is fantastic, as is his base. Great work. :icon_smile:

Offline Orion

• Members
@Pistol Pete and Herostratos: yes, it ended a bit more darker that I want. Seems like trying to avoid the pinkish tone of the last one, I remain in a too dark purple. I think that I should give one more layer of warlock purple, to get it lighter without mixing with white (It ends in that pink that I don´t like).

I like the dark tone of the spearman (it's on war, not in a pijama party  :icon_biggrin:), but you are right...it lacks of contrast. That idea of putting the stocks in other colour (I´m thinking also in greenstuffing a little armband or something like that) is fantastic...don´t know if the white will be too contrast...maybe I would go for a brownish white...

Thank you indeed for the comments!

@pepe: thanks, specially after watching you green stuff skills  :eusa_clap:

@Taggra: here I post a few photos of the process:

The griffon greenstuffed:

The General:

The build:

Above you can see the fisherman lead that gives stability

And a little detail with a piece from the High Elves chariot:

This was the first version:

I dont like it because was smaller on the base that in the top, so I dont looks realistic...then, after painting, someone told me that general on griffons goes in 50x50, not in 40x40 that comes with DeathClaw  :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall: :eusa_wall:

So I 'transplantate' the tower to another base, and fix the walls:

It looks better with the bigger base.

It was fun, but hard to finish. I´m happy because apart from the colour schema issue, It ended more or less as I want.

Thanks for the interest!

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
very inspirational i want to build a tower ...and i will  :biggriin:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Mandarini

• Members
  • /!\ Roquefort /!\
delete
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 01:36:14 PM by Mandarini »
"three things make the empire great,puffy sleeves,funny sleepers and cheese"
  -Mandarini

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=30979.0
my empire work link

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
i would never bard an empire Griffon....or else it looks Bretonnian...

Um... Bretonnains do not have griffons.  Barded or otherwise.

Thier pegasus knights have a little bit of barding but that's a whole different kettle of cheese.
Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

Offline Mandarini

• Members
  • /!\ Roquefort /!\
delete
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 01:36:20 PM by Mandarini »
  -Mandarini

my empire work link

Offline flESh

• Members
That is a Hippogriff, not a Griffon. :icon_biggrin:

I think you did extremely well with your captain, Orion. Keep it up!  :icon_wink:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 12:47:02 AM by flESh »

Offline Mandarini

• Members
  • /!\ Roquefort /!\
delete

« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 01:36:31 PM by Mandarini »
  -Mandarini

my empire work link

Offline flESh

• Members
Griffons are part Lion part Eagle, whereas Hippogriffs are part Horse part Eagle. I agree that they look somewhat similar, but I believe that is more due to their almost identical stances than anything else, which isn't Orion's fault.

Offline Mandarini

• Members
  • /!\ Roquefort /!\
delete
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 01:36:38 PM by Mandarini »
  -Mandarini

my empire work link

Offline Orion

• Members
Don´t worry, no hard at all! and criticisims is always welcome!

I barded the griffon because I cannot imagine a big chicken like this going in to battle without protection...I mean, you are a Empire general, and you use a bard on your horse, but not in your extremely rare griffon? with all that arrows and things like that flying around?

Now I block at the colour scheme, have tried the white combination, but it does not convince me...

Offline Orion

• Members
Well, I tried the colour schema changes, trying the white socks and all that...but at the end, it was not fitting what I want...I want that dark aspect of the army, as it is supposed to be an army of soldiers with no hopes, just waiting for a death in combat.

So, I went back to the black uniform with purple details. But you were right that it looks a little plain before, so I tried to highlight more the black and the purple, and change the shield for a square pattern, that I think it looks better that the freehand before...(mostly due to my marveleous freehand ability  :icon_neutral:)

So, what do you think?

(a little far pictures...dont realize till I upload...)

Offline der Hurenwiebel

• Members
  • Adversus Malum Pugnamus
I'm going to have to go buy a box of Brettonian men at arms for the shields now.  That is just too cool of an idea to pass up.

I like it Orion.

"DEfighter wrote:
Hey, trolls stay the hell out, this is a serious thread. Empire are cheese. 2 steam tanks, a war altar and 4 cannons is so obviously overpowered. Anyone who thinks otherwise clearly hasn't had their dragon shot down on turn 1 yet."

oh really now.  LOL ROFLMAO oh the irony.

Offline Orion

• Members
you can buy the shields alone in ebay... :happy:

Offline Orion

• Members
A little work in progress: the front rank of the spearmen will be kneeling. This is the first one that I try. The green stuff work is yet to be done, but you can see the idea...

C&C are welcome! (and ideas of how to do the champion, banner and music kneeling...)

Offline ekman

• Members
  • Gentle on My Mind
Re: Rheim, The Broken City: Army blog->07 Nov 09: Fist Kneeling Spearman
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 03:23:20 PM »
Very cool!  You are brave to have a pink color scheme (and you pull it off), and the barding on the chicken looks great. 

I like what you're doing with the spearmen.  I'd suggest having the champion basically the same as the other two kneeling spearmen with a puffy hat or something (so that it is clear that the front rank is uniform).  It does seem counter-intuitive to have the standard bearer and the musician kneeling in front though, since they're meant to be inspiring to the unit.

Maybe have your standard more like those roman ... eagle sticks (whatever they're called) instead of a banner, so that it wouldn't get in the way of the people behind him.  It could be tall enough that it would still be visible from the back of the unit even if he is kneeling.

The musician could be just like a regular kneeling spear guy, except his left hand is holding a horn.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
Re: Rheim, The Broken City: Army blog->07 Nov 09: Fist Kneeling Spearman
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2009, 04:56:04 PM »
I would consider having the kneeling guy lower his spear to the side of the shield. It looks a bit impractical to use like that.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.