home

Author Topic: The Silver Horde - special unit?  (Read 5940 times)

Offline JAK

• Members
The Silver Horde - special unit?
« on: November 23, 2009, 08:04:51 PM »
Now that I have created the Silver Horde I need some help with rules for them. As a ‘Discworld’ army I don’t restrict myself to normal armies limitations but I do try to fit my units to the ‘official’ rules used by GW in either past or present units of whatever race to try to keep the unit balanced and avoid arguments.

The problem I have here is that I have a band of barbarian heroes that are all over 80 years old. What stats do you give them? As barbarians and heroes do they suffer frenzy, never panic, always pursue (are they able too?)

Do you accept that at thier age they must have great skills to still be alive and class them all as human Heroes. Is a General's stat more appropriate or do you forget their history and call them normal men with Cohen as a champion? Has there ever been a unit with all Heroes or even General’s stats that I could use.

They wear little in the way of clothes and have never had shields mentioned so do they have any armour capable of offering a save, are they so thin and wiry they get a save because there's so little of them to hit.

I have found that in GW’s dim and distant past they did an oriental army (1984?) when a basic Samurai warrior cost 18 points with stats
4M  5WS  5BS  3S  3T  2W  6I  1A  7Ld with 2hd weapon and heavy armour giving a +5 save
and also the Vimto Monks where a basic monk cost 80 points with stats
5M  8WS  8BS  4S  4T  2W 10I  3A 10Ld with no weapons or armour but their agility gave a +5 save
I assume this army was dropped because as men they were too powerful but would they be reasonable stats for such a special one-off unit.

Grateful for any comments or alternative suggestions.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 08:04:09 PM by JAK »

Offline Folken

• Members
Re: The Silver Horde - special unit?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 11:20:52 PM »
I think you have the wrong segment of the forum for this.  From how they look it would just seem free company would make sense or are you looking for something beyond the standard empire units?

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 09:04:50 AM »
Sorry if I’ve got the wrong part of the forum – perhaps a Mod, can move where it belongs.

What I’m after is a set of rules that would properly represent this unit. I would prefer it to be one already established by GW but it doen’t have to be human or even constrained by human limitations.

This unit are not a mere free company it comprises men who have over the past 80 years fought and defeated armies, demons and even the Gods single-handed. I don’t have access to all current/past GW rules so I’d like some suggestions on what you think would be suitable for them be it vimto monks, dwarf troll slayers, kaos knights etc.

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
Dude. Those are effing awesome!

I love Hamish. Tbh, these guys should be like HElf Swordmaster stats.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Folken

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 05:30:52 PM »
Well no mortal has defeated Gods so not sure where you are going with there... Deamons yeah I would probably go with Inarticulate's suggestion of Swordmasters of Hoeth.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 07:33:23 AM »
Remember that all of these barbarians are absolute experts at not dying.

Consequently they should all recieve something like the DE Pendant, or at least a hefty Ward save. Simply to simulate them 'not being where the hurt is'.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 02:08:12 PM »
Thanks for your comment BAWTRM you’ve made me realise that I have been looking at this unit from the wrong point of view, I’ve been trying to make them invincible battle winners but in a way their not, they’re just survivors.

Rather than wiping out regiment after regiment perhaps their role should be more of an annoyance, with a secondary ward save and not breaking they keep an opponents unit occupied and out of the game.

Offline Joelatron

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 12:56:37 AM »
GIve them human stats and the White Dwarf gnoblar army special unit "lucky gits" rule.

Ie EVERYTHING gets re-rolled to the benefit of the unit. So opponent has to re-roll successful rolls to hit, wound etc.
You get to re-roll to hit, wound, armour save, ward save, leadership tests etc.

Basically make the unit hard as nails without crazy stats + its hilarious to watch super units fluff their attacks and the unit "survive"

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 01:00:04 AM »
GIve them human stats and the White Dwarf gnoblar army special unit "lucky gits" rule.

Ie EVERYTHING gets re-rolled to the benefit of the unit. So opponent has to re-roll successful rolls to hit, wound etc.
You get to re-roll to hit, wound, armour save, ward save, leadership tests etc.

Basically make the unit hard as nails without crazy stats + its hilarious to watch super units fluff their attacks and the unit "survive"

Excellent suggestion! I would go with this over SM.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Freman Bloodglaive

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 07:31:16 AM »
I like it too.

Special rule: Lucky old cusses. All dice may be re-rolled for the benefit of the unit.

Edit:
Special rule: Lucky old cusses. All dice (friend and foe) must be re-rolled for the benefit of the unit.

Imagine that D6 fireball shot being re-rolled from a 6 to a 1, which wounds, only to be re-rolled to fail.

I can see people avoiding them as just too annoying.

As for stats, probably close to standard swordsmen are representative enough of elite human infantry. They would have to have higher points cost though, with that rule. I gave them two attacks and leadership 8 to represent their experience.

M4 WS4 BS3 S3 T3 W1 I4 A2 Ld8 Sv5+

Equipment: sword, shield, light armour

Led by Cohen, (Champion with +1 attack for total of 3) with standard bearer and musician.

Special Rules: Lucky old cusses (with re-rolls on their leadership tests they probably don't need to be immune to psychology or stubborn, the re-rolls in combat will mean that they're not generally going to lose by much against average troops)

Unit of 10 costs 150 points. It may be increased at a cost of 12 points per model.

The point cost may be too low, but play-test them to see how they work.

From http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Silver_Horde it does say "Contrary to expectations, the Silver Horde knows the meaning of fear. It is something that happens to other people." Perhaps they should cause fear.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:21:26 AM by Freman Bloodglaive »
"Reason is a thing of God, inasmuch as there is nothing which God the Maker of all has not provided, disposed, ordained by reason - nothing which He has not willed should be handled and understood by reason" Quintus Tertullian

Offline Joelatron

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 08:56:36 AM »
replace the word "may" with "must". This then forces the opponent to re-roll all stuff as well