home

Author Topic: Fantasy Tribes Brown Orcs Project (FINISHED ARMY SHOTS!)  (Read 20497 times)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Fantasy Tribes Orcs Project (now definitely Brown!)
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2018, 02:38:51 PM »
Army list, anyone?

Using the Orcs and Goblins list from Warhammer Armies (I guess this is 3rd Ed?). Will be dumping the cartoon terminology for something "classier", and I plan to copy 023s lovely army list entries eventually.

Painted:

Orc Hero (Level 5) – Great Weapon, Heavy Armour                                                 38 points
18 Orc “Boyz”    – Hand Weapon, Light Armour, Shield   Standard Bearer, Musician   170 points
10 Orc “Arrer Boyz” – Bow, Hand Weapon, Light Armour                                           95 points
10 Orc “Arrer Boyz” – Crossbow, Hand Weapon, Light Armour                                  115 points
3 Trolls       - Hand Weapon                                                                                   195 points
                                                                                                                         (613 points)   
Assembled: 

10 Orc “Arrer Boyz” – Bow, Hand Weapon, Light Armour                                           95 points
16 Orc “Big Uns” - Great Weapon, Light Armour, Shield   Standard Bearer, Musician   207 points
5 Trolls      - Hand Weapon                                                                                     325 points
                                                                                                                           (627 points)

Errrm, what's the "normal" size for a 3rd Ed army? Because that's 1250 points already and you *know* I've hardly started...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 02:42:10 PM by Shadespyre »

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2018, 08:56:02 PM »
Warhammer Armies 3rd edition recommended 3000 pt armies.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2018, 09:09:06 PM »
I like the trolls' black eyes ... but as for the other 'bits' ...  :icon_redface:
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2018, 11:26:13 PM »
Yup, now you know why they cause Fear! And maybe what they're up to when they fail Stupidity...  :icon_eek:

3000 points eh? I should do some forward planning. Got some big ticket items and some weird stuff to fit in, too.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2018, 11:45:13 PM »
... and some weird stuff to fit in, too.

You're fitting what in where now? Considering what you've already shown us, you have me worried!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2019, 02:55:59 PM »
Hmmm, well, that would be telling...  :icon_eek:

More Orcs for now... counts as "Big Uns"

Adding command to these units (remember, that wasn't a thing at one point) has made them funny sizes, so I may need to get a few more off ebay to tidy them up, later.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2019, 10:48:27 PM »
Well done on the trolls! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2019, 01:06:08 PM »
Thanks, the rest of the troll tribe coming soon. Including mummy troll, baby troll, troll actually wearing shorts and umm kinky whip troll I'M SORRY OKAY!? :icon_eek:

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2019, 09:53:11 PM »
The rest of the Troll Tribe. Don't say I didn't warn you...

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2019, 10:26:10 PM »
Those trolls are awesome! I am a little disturbed by the whip fella's belt buckle though, Tom Meier's early work can sure be... cheeky.

Thanks, the rest of the troll tribe coming soon. Including mummy troll, baby troll, troll actually wearing shorts and umm kinky whip troll I'M SORRY OKAY!? :icon_eek:

For some reason I now have that baby shark song stuck in my head now.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2019, 09:47:47 AM »
I spared you the close up.  :icon_eek:

To be honest it gets worse the more you think about it. Why is the troll dressed like that? Many of the trolls aren't bothered with clothes. Is it his choice? Did someone dress him that way? and who conceived of this outfit, let alone manufactured it? Surely that's not troll workmanship?

The inescapable conclusion from this mini is that someone, some non-Troll, woke up one morning and thought, "What the world needs is more sexy trolls in bondage gear!" and set the wheels in motion...

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2019, 12:13:29 PM »
Ha! I would be a little more concerned about the troll 2 to the left. I think you can get arrested for that sort of stuff 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2019, 06:33:21 PM »
You mean the one with the sack full of legs, or the one carrying the naked human lady around by her hair (another scenario which I don't think the sculptor thought through? Maybe I should email Tom and ask him!)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #63 on: January 12, 2019, 08:00:03 PM »
You mean the one with the sack full of legs, or the one carrying the naked human lady around by her hair (another scenario which I don't think the sculptor thought through? Maybe I should email Tom and ask him!)

Even crazier! This lot is not up to today’s code lol 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2019, 11:25:46 PM »
10 more Orc Archers completed, so that's about 1240 points painted so far (everything on the previous list!)

Not sure what to do next - I've got one more unit of ordinary orcs ready to go, then it's down to lots and lots of broken models and how to repair them.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2019, 01:08:57 PM »
I didn't feel like painting at the weekend, so I set to work on some repairs. I used most of the spare empire parts I could find to replace missing weapons, so now I have about 20 "Orcs Swinging Axe" armed with a mixture of axes, swords, White Wolf hammers and those spiky militia clubs. Not sure if these will form their own unit or just get mixed in with others for variety. Also: repaired some spears, knees, hands and teeth; made a couple more standard bearers; did a couple of more complicated weapon swaps. All in all added maybe 35 Orcs to the pile to paint?

I don't know about timescales, but I think my next tranche of minis will be something like:

15 orcs with hand weapon and shield and command
20 orcs with hand weapon and command
10 "black orcs" (I think this is how I'll represent the biggest, baddest, heaviest armoured minis)

That should be close to another 500-600 points, but I haven't worked it out yet. That'd make roughly 60% of 3000 points, so probably enough "rank and file". That leaves 1/5 for characters and 1/5 for artillery etc (which is where I'll be getting imaginative...)

It also looks like I can achieve 3000 points without goblins, which is kinda cool but also feels like a wasted opportunity...

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2019, 06:38:48 AM »

Do a separate goblin army!  :engel:

Enjoying these old orcs, and the more we get to see the more I really like your orc flesh color. Going to be a cool looking army.  :::cheers:::

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2019, 08:05:07 PM »
If I can get the miniatures I want, then I now plan to do a small, separate Goblin army, which could also be dropped in as a section of the Orc army or used as an allied force if desired. I think it'll look even less like a modern Goblin army than this looks like a modern Orc army! It'll be based around the old models and a couple of conversion ideas I had which are too good to waste.

I'm glad you like the army, because I'm loving working on it. Some of the models are in poor shape - broken or not cast very well - but they are worth the work. The sheer variety found in each "identical" pose , mostly different heads and little gear tweaks, is umatched in any other mini range I've worked with.

Working away on the r&f at the moment, the rules busting / departing from the FTO models section of the project is on its way...

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2019, 12:26:36 AM »
I may be in the minority, but I don't care for most of Kev Adams goblins beyond the '80s. Like the trend with orcs (usually by other sculptors) his goblins steadily got larger, bulkier and the poses got stiffer. Just my preference, but I like the old gangly orcs & goblins. (Which is part of why I'm digging this orc project.)

I know there's been a number of retro/oldhammer sculpting and casting projects, I keep waiting for a "gangly O&G" one to appear.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2019, 01:30:20 AM »
I may be in the minority, but I don't care for most of Kev Adams goblins beyond the '80s. Like the trend with orcs (usually by other sculptors) his goblins steadily got larger, bulkier and the poses got stiffer. Just my preference, but I like the old gangly orcs & goblins. (Which is part of why I'm digging this orc project.)

I know there's been a number of retro/oldhammer sculpting and casting projects, I keep waiting for a "gangly O&G" one to appear.

I agree with you. I had always assumed the citadel goblins from the 80's were from a different designer then from the 90's stuff. It was only later I found they were all Kevin's work.  I suspect Kevin's earlier Orcs and Goblins were trying to copy these Perry brothers Fantasy Tribes orcs style.
But his goblins (both Citadel others) and from the 90's have grown on me a little bit but outside of his goblins for Knightmare Games I haven't been interested in most of his goblins through the aughts.
Im talking goblins though, his 90's Orcs haven't grown on me an never will I don't think (except his Black Orcs).

Regarding the BTD "Harlequin" goblins Kickstarter. I'm always a little suspicious of BTD or EOE or whatever it is they call themselves now. For example I'm pretty sure those aren't the original greens he's showing off in the kickstarter pic, you can see the paint strokes and bare metal coming through on the banner.  So why is he presenting these to us as if they are the greens?

@Shadespyre    I love the work you are doing here and the skin tone choice is perfect.  I have a unit of the the FT orcs with bows but haven't had the courage to paint them. Seeing your work is getting me inspired.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2019, 01:11:38 PM »
Some old Kev Adams goblins ……….

Cute, but nowhere near old enough in style for what I'm doing. Or rather hoping to do, in the case of goblins.

Re: greens - these models have plainly been painted green to look like greens. It's probably nothing "dodgy", just to try to look tidier - most sculptors re-use bits from other models and incorporate them and other bits of metal and plastic in their sculpts. If you look at, for example, Darksword, their greens all show brass rod and bits of plasticard and recycled metal swordblades etc in their green pictures. Tom Meier doesn't spend hours rolling out perfectly round straight wizard's staves, you know...  :wink:

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2019, 11:53:22 PM »
I hope these look okay - the Photobucket editing system has completely changed, but at least it does now work. However I have to discover a whole new set of "standard" settings to get my photos looking as I expect!

Here's two new orcs, one an addition to a previous unit, and the other my second repair / conversion of the same hero. When I've painted the "original" one I have you can compare all three together.

And here's this month's Orc regiment:

A little Orc fatigue starting to set in now, time to paint some more non-orc parts of the project perhaps? Time to check the Monster Manual descriptions of some more classic beasts...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 11:40:16 AM by Shadespyre »

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2019, 12:17:15 AM »

FTO-13 - Orc Riding Giant War-Wyvern

We have a different idea of what "Giant" constitutes nowadays! I'm not sure what to count this as, rules wise? It barely deserves that 50mm square base, and fans of Ye Olde Citadel Miniatures will guess that there's a rather bigger model to follow...

Oh, finished the second of these now:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 11:40:03 AM by Shadespyre »

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2019, 08:46:39 AM »

I love the halberd conversion/repair on the armored orc, it looks so perfect.