home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296163 times)

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog
« Reply #425 on: January 08, 2016, 03:13:58 PM »
excellent idea for the shields  :::cheers:::, I used to do that for flags, but I never carried the thought on to do shields.  Now I have something else to try to add to the endless list. steveb

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #426 on: January 08, 2016, 04:59:54 PM »
The shields look good.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #427 on: January 08, 2016, 05:22:00 PM »
Ditto on the shields - and thanks to Steve for the idea of doing flags that way.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #428 on: January 09, 2016, 05:50:39 AM »
excellent idea for the shields  :::cheers:::, I used to do that for flags, but I never carried the thought on to do shields.  Now I have something else to try to add to the endless list. steveb

That's where the idea came from. I've done it for flags and various bits & pieces of larger toys & sculptures (feathers, rabbit ears, etc.) All of those are a little more freeform, but I was curious if I could mold the plastic to a specific shape, and thought it was worth a shot.

Shocking, but yes -- another update.

Two reasons for this. One is that I got Stuff! In the Mail!

I'm relatively (just since last year) new to the Lead Adventure Forum, and as time allows, I've been catching up on some of the great projects documented there. One of my favorites, and most inspirational, is that of DeafNala. If you like colorful, high fantasy, with some hints of oldschool (circa 1980s) Warhammer & White Dwarf miniatures, and comics like Gobbledigook, the art of Froud, Bode, Bakshi, etc. then check it out. All of it. Somewhere around page 201 there is a link to a Photobucket account full of photos, too.

Somewhere in response to my praise and worship, I received an offer of some mushrooms, and a significant batch of both painted and unpainted ones recently showed up on my doorstep.

They're even better in person! So now I'm churning around several plots on how to make use of them on my own gaming table. I'm a little intimidated about painting the unpainted ones, so I am trying to decide on a good way to paint them so they are different, but work well with DeafNala's own painted 'shrooms.

I have also just sacrificed some more of my much needed sleep in return for some much needed painting time. I really wanted to finish up one other thing of my own that's been sitting half-complete since... I don't know, spring or summer? I wanted a hodgepodge unit of beastman-esque skeletons. I painted half of them ages ago, and the rest included a few more that needed built, plus a few metal figures from the Cursed Company.

There's a mix of figures & minor conversions here. Stock figures include a skeletal saurus, orc, and two skaven from the Cursed Company, and two skeletal dogs from Mantic. The rest are 4th/5th ed Citadel plastic skeletons with various additional animal skulls & bits.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #429 on: January 09, 2016, 12:24:01 PM »
I always think that the skeleton-animal skull head swap should look a bit naff, but it works well mixed in with other non-human skellies like this. It's a shame GW never made more of this - the Old World was littered with the corpses of greenskins, beastmen, elves and dwarves, but necromancers never seemed to bother raising them along with the humans!

I occasionally pop to the Lead Adventure forum to look at 1930s Interwar stuff, it's a treasure trove of ideas, or a deadly trap to get you interested in new, time consuming projects you never knew you wanted to do... didn't realise there was much Fantasy stuff there to be honest.

Those mushrooms are fun! I suggest painting the others in a different colour scheme to hide / explain a different painting style? They scream "Night Goblin Project" of course. Or perhaps the basing elements for a huge Squig or giant fungi project of your own - something more on the scale and style of your vinyl toys... a crossover opportunity between hobbies?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #430 on: January 09, 2016, 01:44:31 PM »
I always think that the skeleton-animal skull head swap should look a bit naff, but it works well mixed in with other non-human skellies like this. It's a shame GW never made more of this - the Old World was littered with the corpses of greenskins, beastmen, elves and dwarves, but necromancers never seemed to bother raising them along with the humans!

I agree, it would be great to see more non-human skeletons. These are on my long term "wanted list":

http://www.nobleknight.com/imagepage.asp?image=RAL02-952.jpg&name=Skeletal%20Beastmen
http://www.scotiagrendel.com/Products/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=221_222_46_228
http://www.battlezone-miniatures.co.uk/shop/category/197

...plus a few odd figures I see pop up on ebay, some I think are from collectible mini games or pre-painted ranges. There's t least one other orc, a gnoll, a minotaur. All of it seems of mixed quality, but I think they'd look OK in a big mob.

I'm also still looking for more skeletal ogres to compliment the two I have from Ral Partha Europe. (Beautiful figures!) I had wanted to try sculpting one or two of my own, but I haven't even finished the few skulls I started. I may give up and just deal with having duplicates of the RPE figures -- maybe with some minor conversion work.

Fluff-wise, I think the campaign idea I've had in mind from the start actually deals with the human-skeleton-centric issue pretty well, as the initial army will be from the burial site of an old human kingdom. So mostly human to start with is OK with me. But as reinforcements are added to the army, I would like more non-humans added. (I may be putting way more thought into this that I need to. My mind wanders when I'm in the car on a long commute a couple times a week.)

Those mushrooms are fun! I suggest painting the others in a different colour scheme to hide / explain a different painting style? They scream "Night Goblin Project" of course. Or perhaps the basing elements for a huge Squig or giant fungi project of your own - something more on the scale and style of your vinyl toys... a crossover opportunity between hobbies?

I've been considering a dungeon crawl in the future. And I have a small variety of goblins and trolls. So that's one idea. I started a small (and less imaginative) batch of mushrooms for "fungal forest" terrain long ago, so I can always use more for that idea. (And more angry trees.) http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,37395.0.html

Funny you mention the larger/vinyl toys, too. This brought back to mind some old sketches I had done and would love to see reality at some point....

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #431 on: January 09, 2016, 06:01:33 PM »
I always liked the cursed company models and thought they were wonderful. The dead dwarf from that set is probably the first non-human undead I saw in model form and I was just taken with it.

The animal heads really add to the regiment here, especially mixed in with the few other non human undead. The two unpainted mushrooms with the thicker body/faces are probably my favorites, but that painting style is pretty neat as well. I want to say purple would be classic, but that seems to be a common color for shrooms and stuff like that. Maybe a real psycadelic mix of yellows, pinks and blues.

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #432 on: January 09, 2016, 06:43:05 PM »
Great to see Deaf's work appreciated and his audience expanded.  :::cheers:::

Love all the non-human skeletons as well.

[If anyone has extra skaven or saurus skeletons, I am always looking for some more...]
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #433 on: January 09, 2016, 08:55:28 PM »
I do have one of the Cursed Company dwarf, but he looked out of place with all of his armour in a completely unarmoured unit. I am thinking about trying to put together a small unit of undead dwarfs using him and some chaos dwarf type figures at some point in the future. I found two old GW chaos dwarfs when digging trough my bins and thought I could paint them all rusty. Three figures is enough to warrant starting a new unit, right?  :engel:

These are on my long term "wanted list":

http://www.nobleknight.com/imagepage.asp?image=RAL02-952.jpg&name=Skeletal%20Beastmen

Scratch that. I finally just won a pack of these on eBay for a reasonable price. I've been after them for a year now! Patience finally pays off.  :mrgreen:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #434 on: January 09, 2016, 09:17:40 PM »
Reaper is slowly growing a steady line of various non human undead for it's bones line. I know the current kickstarter that just finished had a couple like undead minotaur, dwarf, hobbit, etc. And I seem to remember some in their previous ones to.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #435 on: January 09, 2016, 09:27:59 PM »
I'm relatively (just since last year) new to the Lead Adventure Forum, ...
I've been there form time ot time and it seems like a very good place.

... and as time allows, I've been catching up on some of the great projects documented there. One of my favorites, and most inspirational, is that of DeafNala. If you like colorful, high fantasy, with some hints of oldschool (circa 1980s) Warhammer & White Dwarf miniatures, and comics like Gobbledigook, the art of Froud, Bode, Bakshi, etc. then check it out. All of it. Somewhere around page 201 there is a link to a Photobucket account full of photos, too.

Somewhere in response to my praise and worship, I received an offer of some mushrooms, and a significant batch of both painted and unpainted ones recently showed up on my doorstep.

They're even better in person! So now I'm churning around several plots on how to make use of them on my own gaming table. I'm a little intimidated about painting the unpainted ones, so I am trying to decide on a good way to paint them so they are different, but work well with DeafNala's own painted 'shrooms.
Wow, those look cool. :eusa_clap: :icon_biggrin:

I have also just sacrificed some more of my much needed sleep in return for some much needed painting time. I really wanted to finish up one other thing of my own that's been sitting half-complete since... I don't know, spring or summer? I wanted a hodgepodge unit of beastman-esque skeletons. I painted half of them ages ago, and the rest included a few more that needed built, plus a few metal figures from the Cursed Company.

There's a mix of figures & minor conversions here. Stock figures include a skeletal saurus, orc, and two skaven from the Cursed Company, and two skeletal dogs from Mantic. The rest are 4th/5th ed Citadel plastic skeletons with various additional animal skulls & bits.
I like these, congrats! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 09:30:02 PM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #436 on: January 09, 2016, 09:32:10 PM »

I occasionally pop to the Lead Adventure forum to look at 1930s Interwar stuff, it's a treasure trove of ideas, or a deadly trap to get you interested in new, time consuming projects you never knew you wanted to do... didn't realise there was much Fantasy stuff there to be honest.
True and true.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #437 on: January 11, 2016, 06:07:46 AM »
Reaper is slowly growing a steady line of various non human undead for it's bones line. I know the current kickstarter that just finished had a couple like undead minotaur, dwarf, hobbit, etc. And I seem to remember some in their previous ones to.

I will have to look through their figures again. It seems easier to find non-human zombies than it does non-human skeletons.

I don't think I posted this pic, but a few weeks ago, during the dry spell, I stole away a few quick minutes to some hobby related stuff. Two measuring sticks. They can serve the dual purpose of being compact measuring devices for Hail Caesar related games (Shadow Storm, Pike & Shotte, etc.) and also serve as highly visible photographic scales if I do follow through with the idea of doing remote gaming online. This is a very rough idea of what an overhead shot (or part of one) of a battle might look like if I do that. The sticks should help give a remote opponent a more fair concept of distances.

Quick base colors on the dwarf light gun and crew. Along with the mushrooms, DeafNala also sent me a second light gun on a Burgundian carriage that was a pretty close match for the one I had. Both of which are similar caliber to the swivel guns. So I dug through the lead stash and came up with two more spare crew. I paint the crew separately, then add them to the base when they're done. These crew are more medieval than renaissance, but I'm OK with that. It's a fantasy game, and dwarfs are all about tradition, and I really like the figures.

This will bring my dwarf totals to 2 units of spear/pike, a partial unit of handgunners, and 4 light artillery (which I may just "brigade" together into a unit.) That seems close enough to a division/contingent of its own. At some point I would like to pick up just a few more figures to round it out. Maybe some more handgunners -- though I am thinking about just rounding out the unit with command & accessory figures. I would also likea heavier unit of infantry. I've been drooling over White Knight's figures for years. At the very least, I should get a unit of dopplesoldners and/or halberdiers.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:12:26 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #438 on: January 11, 2016, 01:04:56 PM »
Where'd the dwarf artillery dudes come from?  And the artillery?

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #439 on: January 11, 2016, 07:41:43 PM »
I do have one of the Cursed Company dwarf, but he looked out of place with all of his armour in a completely unarmoured unit. I am thinking about trying to put together a small unit of undead dwarfs using him and some chaos dwarf type figures at some point in the future. I found two old GW chaos dwarfs when digging trough my bins and thought I could paint them all rusty. Three figures is enough to warrant starting a new unit, right?  :engel:

I have some skeletal dwarf sculpts on John Pickford's to do list for later this year.  :engel:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #440 on: January 12, 2016, 04:38:54 AM »

The crew on the left are from the Marauder "siege gun" (cannon.) The gun on the left is from Old Glory. The gun on the right was a gift, and I don't recognize where it came from.

The crew on the right are old Citadel figures, but I don't remember what artillery they go with. (Begin drifting off, back in the mists of time...) I think I got them long ago when GWUS had a "bargain bag" sale, where you got to pick from a very general list, like "imperial dwarfs" or "norse dwarfs" or "skaven," and they would send you a random bag of figures at an actual (and unheard of, since) bargain price. That sale, along with the old Warhammer Regiments set was how I filled out my first two full armies (dwarfs and skaven) when I was young.

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
« Reply #441 on: January 12, 2016, 06:28:09 AM »
I have some skeletal dwarf sculpts on John Pickford's to do list for later this year.  :engel:

You always seem to have the right minis for everyone's project!  :::cheers:::
Can't wait to paint the ones I bought at the Bash last year!

023, I'm looking forward to seeing these dwarfs finished.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #442 on: January 12, 2016, 06:51:07 AM »

My phone has trouble photographing white, so this is hard to see. But I accidentally started making this tonight.

I saw one of these Bones orcs when I went to a local store to pick up a few paints I needed. Still some work to do, like the weapon and tail. It's a bit of an experiment. A prototype, perhaps...

This idea -- and specifically, using certain Reaper orcs -- has been in my head for a while. I've had some ideas about my Althammer setting and campaign, too. And I've been thinking about a few different ideas for some more minor players and also the "historical" context. Eventually I'll write a bit of my own, but for now, an excerpt from WFRP "Marienburg: Sold Down the River" for some of the inspiration.

But sometime after the departure of the Elves and the Dwarfs and before the arrival of Man, Chaos and evil came, spreading like a cancer from the north and the south. The Skaven, digging their tunnels like cracks meant to undermine the continent, burst forth from the abandoned mines and ravaged the surface. Within a few decades, the land was a ruin: the herds were slaughtered, the waters poisoned and the groves cut down. Marching like vermin into the north of this realm, they found the Fimir, a race of reptilian giants who themselves were remaking the land in their own blasphemous image.

War was inevitable. For how long it raged, only the Fimir and the Skaven know, and certainly no one is asking them. The Skaven built great castles to hold their conquests, and slowly they pushed the Fimir back. In the end, there came a cataclysm that decimated both sides. Whether it was a last desperate effort by the Fimir, an attempt at final victory by the Skaven, or even a rebellion by the earth itself doesn't matter. Great waves of magic washed over the land and the earth convulsed and cracked. In a night, the castles of the Skaven and the holds of the Fimir were thrown down as the very bedrock heaved, broke and sank. Their armies were destroyed and their minions crushed or swallowed whole. By dawn the next day, only the land itself remained, nearly empty of life and hiding its wounds under a thick blanket of fog.

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #443 on: January 12, 2016, 01:01:28 PM »
The multiracial skeletons are one of the more interesting units Ive seen so far this year. Those Beastmen look outstanding, they make me want to go out and get some Beastmen to paint and display. Im really interested in the wagons how long did it take you to make them and what was the cost for the materials, I already have a spare horse?
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #444 on: January 12, 2016, 03:33:52 PM »
The crew on the left are from the Marauder "siege gun" (cannon.) The gun on the left is from Old Glory. The gun on the right was a gift, and I don't recognize where it came from.

The crew on the right are old Citadel figures, but I don't remember what artillery they go with. (Begin drifting off, back in the mists of time...) I think I got them long ago when GWUS had a "bargain bag" sale, where you got to pick from a very general list, like "imperial dwarfs" or "norse dwarfs" or "skaven," and they would send you a random bag of figures at an actual (and unheard of, since) bargain price. That sale, along with the old Warhammer Regiments set was how I filled out my first two full armies (dwarfs and skaven) when I was young.
Ah, Old Glory, that might be the one I've seen undre their renaissance section.  Almost ordered last year prior to Fall-In, and eventually will.  I like the other one as well, and the Citadel dwarfs.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #445 on: January 12, 2016, 03:41:32 PM »
My phone has trouble photographing white, so this is hard to see. But I accidentally started making this tonight.

I saw one of these Bones orcs when I went to a local store to pick up a few paints I needed. Still some work to do, like the weapon and tail. It's a bit of an experiment. A prototype, perhaps...
Looks like quite the beast of chaos ya got going there. Or else a conversion to a Fimir! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Where'd the head on the orc body come from?

This idea -- and specifically, using certain Reaper orcs -- has been in my head for a while. I've had some ideas about my Althammer setting and campaign, too. And I've been thinking about a few different ideas for some more minor players and also the "historical" context. Eventually I'll write a bit of my own, but for now, an excerpt from WFRP "Marienburg: Sold Down the River" for some of the inspiration.

But sometime after the departure of the Elves and the Dwarfs and before the arrival of Man, Chaos and evil came, spreading like a cancer from the north and the south. The Skaven, digging their tunnels like cracks meant to undermine the continent, burst forth from the abandoned mines and ravaged the surface. Within a few decades, the land was a ruin: the herds were slaughtered, the waters poisoned and the groves cut down. Marching like vermin into the north of this realm, they found the Fimir, a race of reptilian giants who themselves were remaking the land in their own blasphemous image.

War was inevitable. For how long it raged, only the Fimir and the Skaven know, and certainly no one is asking them. The Skaven built great castles to hold their conquests, and slowly they pushed the Fimir back. In the end, there came a cataclysm that decimated both sides. Whether it was a last desperate effort by the Fimir, an attempt at final victory by the Skaven, or even a rebellion by the earth itself doesn't matter. Great waves of magic washed over the land and the earth convulsed and cracked. In a night, the castles of the Skaven and the holds of the Fimir were thrown down as the very bedrock heaved, broke and sank. Their armies were destroyed and their minions crushed or swallowed whole. By dawn the next day, only the land itself remained, nearly empty of life and hiding its wounds under a thick blanket of fog.
A cool passage of fluff.  Much cooler than the W:AoS crud.

Not that I want to start a discussion about that. :icon_lol:

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #446 on: January 12, 2016, 06:36:24 PM »
Home made Fimir are an excellent plan, the old metal ones go for big money and the new Forgeworld ones, while reasonable, just aren't the same (or in enough variety).

The Reaper Bones minis are such good value and so easy to chop up with a sharp knife, so many possibilities open up.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #447 on: January 12, 2016, 08:18:33 PM »
I like the original figures, but I'm not sure they've all aged well, and certainly not for collectors prices. (Not that my own sculpting skills are much to brag about...) To be honest, I do love the new Forgeworld ones. I think they are a great, modern reinterpretation. But there's only three. And although the price is surprisingly reasonable, I think I may have already blown my 2016 gaming budget before the end of the first month. :engel:

GP: The orc body is a Bones plastic figure from Reaper. One of the Tre Manor orcs. There are about a half dozen of his, plus a couple others (Bobby Jackson, I think) that I think will work well for my purposes.

Here is a little more work and some better photos. The tail is pretty crude. My putty has been sitting around unused for a year, and I think is past it's "best by" date. So it's a pain to work with -- plus I haven't done any detailed sculpting/converting in a very long time! I initially thought I would prefer a plain tail, but I think I would like to see what it looks like with a clubbed end. I don't care for the scale & taper (not enough) of the tail, either. I've tried drawing & building a few quick weapon forms, but haven't got anything I'm really fond of, yet. (This is not glued in the hands yet.) I'm going to try a knobby or spiked cylinder mace head next, maybe later tonight.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #448 on: January 12, 2016, 08:33:06 PM »
Saw where it was mentioned that the orc body came from, and I was referring to the head.  Is the head your own sculpt?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #449 on: January 12, 2016, 09:07:34 PM »
Oh, sorry, I misread that. I'm half asleep today, because working on minis was more important than going to sleep last night.  :closed-eyes:

I sculpted the head.