home

Author Topic: Rumours and what's new to be expected of Horus Heresy (WH30K)  (Read 7450 times)

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Rumours and what's new to be expected of Horus Heresy (WH30K)
« on: January 24, 2020, 09:25:08 AM »
Not sure if this should be here, but the other topic is marked 40k and not 30k. Showing the first reveal from the LVO

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/01/24/from-aelves-to-zoats-previews-from-lvogw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-1/

Qin Xa from the White Scars.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 08:44:34 PM by StealthKnightSteg »
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Rumours and what's new to be expected of Horus Heresy (WH30K)
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 10:49:01 AM »
I like it! :icon_cool:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 02:19:09 PM »
Rumors are abound that Horus Heresy 2.0 may be coming out along with some new plastic box sets. It'll still be based on 7th edition but with some rule clean up and some added new things. I know a lot of the older armies probably could use a revamp as the power creep from the newer legions have taken their toll on them.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 03:28:20 PM »
Interesting.  So the path for Horus Heresy seems to be broadening then.

Is there a list somewhere as to how the Horus Heresy legions are typically ranked, say like lower tier, middle tier, upper tier?

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 06:16:55 PM »
There really isn't a tier list but some legions definitely got more love in their design (all of the legion rules are in the same book), especially as the campaign books released which added onto existing rules and introduced some new legion specific units and war gear. Thousand Sons and Iron Warriors are probably the more competitive armies, but all armies are viable.

The Imperial Fist for example hit on a 2+ when shooting bolter weapons (bolt pistols, bolt guns, heavy bolters, etc) which is great because everything comes standard with a bolt weapon. Sons of Horus on the other hand can hit with shooting on a 2+ with pistols, assault guns, and rapid fire weapons if the models they're shooting at are within 12". That sounds good, however if you're within 12" of an enemy unit with your bolters, you may as well use Fury of the Legion (available to all armies, but unable to be used with this Sons of Horus rule) instead and get to shoot all your bolters twice (throwing 4 dice per bolter). A 10 man squad shooting 40 dice at 3+ as opposed to 20 dice at 2+ is going to statistically generate more hits. So its moot save for special weapons like plasma, melta or volkite weapons. So a Sons of Horus player will probably forgo that special rule and use the Fury of the Legion rule instead. Now the Imperial Fist on the other hand can hit with a 2+ with Fury of the Legion since they're special rule works all the time but the Sons of Horus doesn't work with Fury of the Legion.

That however doesn't make the Fists better than the Sons of Horus, they both just play to their strengths. Imperial Fists will more than likely have more bolt weapons, where as Sons of Horus will aim towards having more special weapons. Another Sons of Horus rule is if they outnumber their opponent in a close combat, they get an extra hit for each model that has already fought prior to the Initiative 1 step. So Sons of Horus want to get in really close, blast their guns at their opponent to thin their ranks and then charge into close combat to outnumber them and overwhelm them with attacks. Naturally that means Sons of Horus may want transports, large units, or drop pod deep strikes to do this to mitigate possible incoming fire.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 08:58:38 PM »
Thanks for the explanation! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 04:01:50 PM »
Maloghurst the Twisted official model has been announced! Everyone in HH used to use the SoH herald as him, but now he's getting an official model. I wonder if this is proof of that rumor about 30K 2.0 and possibly some updates to the legions.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/04/15/meet-the-true-power-behind-the-warmasters-throne/

Maloghurst was Horus' equivalent to Malcador the Sigilite. He became crippled (twisted physically to match his personality) following a shuttle crash on 63-19 that nearly killed him.

In 30K for Sons of Horus, he's almost required for a list since he offers great bonuses for the army at a cheap price and makes a couple of Elite units as compulsory troop choices.

The model looks great, and I love that he grips the standard like its a crutch since his spine is really messed up.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 04:08:52 PM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2021, 07:29:48 PM »
Is he only taken available to the Sons of Horus?

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2021, 11:25:33 PM »
Is he only taken available to the Sons of Horus?

Yes, only for Traitor Sons of Horus, along with Horus and Abaddon. Loyalists Sons of Horus gets Loken.

Horus

Top: Loken, Bottom: Abbadon

This was what people were using to represent Maloghurst (and many thought it was his model before this new announcement):

The article I linked earlier said this announcement is the first of many showcasing new 30K models, so we may see some official character models (or perhaps new characters) added to the game.
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 11:44:36 PM »
Nice figures!  And I like the painting much better than some much of the stuff coming out of GW recently.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 12:56:50 PM »
Many people on reddit notice that the scale for the new model seems slightly different than previous 30K models, which is leading many to think that GW is trying to do some scale creep for the First Born marines. This may make older models seem squat compared to newer ones, but honestly, I don't mind. Not every marine was the same height, and it may be cool to depict some smaller marines as from Terra and the newer marines as being from the Primarch's recruiting planet post Primarch being found.
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2021, 01:09:13 PM »
GW is always finding a way to charge more. And after the City Curse debacle of the current week, it's time to make a profit elsewhere. :icon_wink:

(GP ... you are being so bad.)

Well, GW is what it is.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2021, 04:43:47 PM »
Many people on reddit notice that the scale for the new model seems slightly different than previous 30K models, which is leading many to think that GW is trying to do some scale creep for the First Born marines. This may make older models seem squat compared to newer ones, but honestly, I don't mind. Not every marine was the same height, and it may be cool to depict some smaller marines as from Terra and the newer marines as being from the Primarch's recruiting planet post Primarch being found.

Honestly this is the one instance in which the scale creep doesn't bother me, quite the opposite. Marines were always described as being about 7ft tall yet most of the time they were the same height (sometimes smaller!?) than a guardsman! Certainly true of some of the metal SM minis. One of the aspects I do quite like about the Primaris guys (I know this isn't 30K) but they are actually TALL compared to their human counterparts so they fit that bill a lot more effectively, for now at least... I'll be waiting for future releases of Cadian Replacements to be the height of a Terminator! :-P

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2021, 02:21:16 AM »
I saw a really nice kitbash\conversion for Terminators where they used bits from Primaris to make them truescale.

https://youtu.be/M5fG5BPFXqQ

Honestly if it wasn't so much work I think that it would be cool to do it for a 5 man squad of termies..
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 02:48:57 AM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2021, 03:35:25 AM »
It seemed the guy was a bit self-critical of himself, but I think it looked great!

It would take a good bit of time and effort to make five of those, although could see doing it if I was really into doing it.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2021, 02:18:53 PM »
Imperial Fist Praetors! Legion Praetors are 30K equivalent to 40K chapter captains. Looks like both mkIII and Tartaros terminator armors!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/05/14/the-new-imperial-fists-praetors-are-perfect-for-butchering-iron-warriors/

― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2021, 02:41:29 PM »
Yowza, those are great figures, and someone has done the painting very well too, thanks for posting!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2021, 04:42:35 PM »
Seems like more Horus Heresy is going to plastic.

Current rumor is that plastic Sons of Horus and Imperial Fists might be released in a starter set, with characters, and perhaps even a plastic vehicle and a contemptor dreadnaught.  Beaded shoulder plates and beak helmets will also be part of the figures.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2021, 04:47:33 PM »
Its a spartan vehicle. The big brother of the Land Raider:

― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2021, 05:43:53 PM »
Very much enjoying the looks of these! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2021, 12:31:15 AM »
Looks very interesting indeed!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2021, 03:39:11 AM »
Forge World is releasing a new Argel Tal figure.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2021, 06:00:56 AM »
Maloghurst will be available for pre-order next week.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/06/27/sunday-preview-ogres-smash-up-blood-bowl-and-a-classic-black-library-tale-comes-to-audiobook/

It makes me wonder if the other announced 30K models and the bundle will be coming out soon (at least for pre-order).
― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2021, 12:02:37 AM »
Well we saw the Imperial Fist 30K Praetor coming out, now its time fore the Sons of Horus one!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/20/surprise-the-sons-of-horus-are-getting-a-menacing-new-praetor-to-lead-them-into-battle/

― Jake the Dog