home

Author Topic: My Ostland army  (Read 42060 times)

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
Re: My Ostland army
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2013, 08:38:13 AM »
wow the eisen wald are amazing!
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Members
  • Imperial Liberal
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2013, 10:45:41 AM »
Excellent work!  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2013, 11:22:57 AM »
Looks very good. Banners are exceptional. the lettering is top notch.
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline valmir

• Members
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2013, 04:54:22 PM »
Dude....
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I'm pretty sure the dwarfs are carved from refined suck. I'd rather build an army out of lego.

Offline Ad A Dglgmut

• Members
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2013, 05:17:38 PM »
Gah, seeing your amazing spearmen make it harder on me wanting to paint my army in Stirland colors, since you make black, white and red look so good!  I'd love to see some shots of some of the individual spearmen up close, especially that drummer.
 :eusa_clap:
Usually I have a female mage holding my Rod of Power   :-D

Offline daftpunky

• Members
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 12:12:42 AM »
Brilliant!!!!! :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: Well done sir!

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 03:45:03 PM »
Awesome! I love that Gamezone light wizard.  :::cheers:::

Which colours did you use for the leather parts of your witch hunter? I also tried to paint them, but didn't quite manage to achieve the effect I had wanted.

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2013, 04:28:08 PM »
Wow! Thanks for the comments everybody!

@Warhammer-Weib: Thanks! I try to make my leather varied, so I just take any brown I have on hand and highlight it using bleached bone. Looking at him, I think it may be GW Dark Flesh on the darker parts and Khemri Sands on the lighter.

Tonights addition:

Spearman spam:

Not really the most heroic expression, but then all that stands between him and the horrors of the Warhammer world is a pointy stick and a wooden board.

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2013, 09:47:28 AM »
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2013, 10:04:48 AM »
As Commander Bernhardt said: How did you do that??!  :Ohmy:

Thank you for telling me your recipe for the leather parts!  :happy:

Offline Bishmeister

• Members
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2013, 03:03:25 PM »
Beautiful army, this is exactly the look I have been striving to achieve with my army.  That chipped, rusted, rugged, weathered, army on campaign look, marvellous work. An inspiration, thanks for sharing. Your steam tank looks like the one I have been trying to paint, and failing, for a very long time.
I cannot wait to see more.
Follow me on Twitter @Bishmeister1

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2013, 10:09:42 PM »
What Bishmeister wrote above. This is a truly amazing army! Thinking how big the pictures are, the detail on the faces especially must be really convincing when your opponent takes a closer look at your troops. You wrote you use photographs and paintings for ideas - but do you have some schooling/hobby background in (classical) painting too?

Is the standard made of printed paper? Or is it a decal? And where are the Bull Head shield emblems from?

:::cheers:::
-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2013, 09:02:37 PM »
I'm very flattered but the great feedback guys! Really makes me want to try to do a good job!

I am a total cheat when it comes to the banners. I make designs on a computer (or rather steal designs off the interwebs), print them on decal paper and apply them to my plastic banners. I then almost dissolve the decals using a fluid called MicroSol, apply a couple of coats of gloss varnish, before I give the areas a layer or two of the dullest varnish I've been able to find so I can paint over the whole thing like one of those "paint within the lines" books I hated as a kid. It is very time consuming, but makes up for my complete lack of free hand skills.

The shields were made for me by this guy: http://www.facebook.com/HayterMinifigures. Really nice chap and he did it very fast considering he had to make 100 of them for me.

@Zygmynd: I did take two years at art school ten-fifteen years ago, but now I am the public historian and head of the local museum in a teeny- tiny municipality in Northern Norway. A job I recently got and which sadly have taken me far away from my very active Warhammer clubs and tournaments i Oslo.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2013, 02:24:00 AM »
great looking army dude  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline b0007452

• Members
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2013, 08:54:42 AM »
Very impressive stuff. The wizard, general and spear unit have to be my favourites so far but it's hard to pick individual miniatures out of such a high quality collection.

It always makes me happy when new members join with incredible painting skills, I think I've looked through every other PLog about 10x already.
:) My Slowly Growing Army of Bogenhafen - http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=44020 :)

Offline somegeezer

• Members
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2013, 11:40:42 AM »
I think cheating is a strong word for what you're doing with the banners. I'll offer "magnificent" as an alternative  :eusa_clap:
My Middenheim plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=45674.0

Sporadic ramblings about wargaming (not just Warhammer):
http://wgrevival.wordpress.com/

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2013, 02:14:06 PM »
What somegeezer said! And it sounds like a lot of work! I am not good at freehand painting either. Hopefully, this will change after the painting workshop I am going to participate in.  :happy:

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2013, 08:01:57 PM »
 :blush:
@Weib: Painting workshop sounds brilliant! Over here we only have the ones offered by GW and those tend to be very basic (and full of 12 year old geeks, which isn't really a draw...).

I brought my minis to the local library in the town I've moved to and held a couple of demo-battles with my Empire vs. my Ogre armies. Really good fun and surprisingly popular.

BSB- I have always loved this mini and was took anvantage when we lost a player to WarmaHordes to get a couple of bargains.

Die spitzen Stöcke:

A regiment with a tradition to eschew shields makes for short lived soldiers. When a "lucky" conscript is entered into the ranks of the regiment, he is forced by the captain to shave. Living long enough to grow a proper beard in a sign of great prowess in battle, luck or maybe a blessing from Sigmar himself and according status amongst their peers. The sarge himself were never able to grow anything but a slight peachy fuss, but have proved himself for long enough to rise through the ranks beard or no.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:04:55 PM by Durloth »

Offline megasquig

• Members
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2013, 09:18:44 PM »
Absolutely incredible work! I love how they look when all ranked up, inspiring.

May I ask how you did the bases? They are also great!

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2013, 11:31:50 PM »
This army is growing fast, and your painting is crisp and accurate. I respect how you also find the energy to tell short stories along the line. And they are even interesting to read, :::cheers:::
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2013, 12:12:36 AM »
Great work!  The standard bearer is first rate. 
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: Thanks for sharing.    :eusa_clap:
Never make predictions, especially about the future.

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2013, 01:19:12 PM »
 :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline General Tomerix Rotenkopf

• Members
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2013, 01:31:12 PM »
Great looking army! I love the "dark and dirty" feeling I get from your painting style. Looking forward to even more troops!

Hobbits are stupid, Talabecs are thieves and Averlanders reek of horse shit.

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Members
  • Imperial Liberal
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2013, 02:28:45 PM »
MORE!  :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2013, 09:38:54 PM »
Thank you everybody! Moving to this little place is making trouble for my army. I'm not getting replacement for used up paints in a timely manner, most of my equipment is back in Oslo aaand I have started an Imperial fleet for Battlefleet Gothic... Anyway, I did finish a Warrior Priest for a small painting competition and have started work on a couple of wizards, a mounted Warrior Priest and the old Marco Colombo mini.

@Megasquig: First of all- sorry for the late reply and thanks for the complement:) The earth on the bases is Stirland Mud drybrushed bleached bone, the wet mud simply water effect on top of Stirland Mud, the flowers are made by Army Painter and I guess the rocks and grass is pretty much self explanatory.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:22:57 PM by Durloth »