home

Author Topic: My Ostland army  (Read 42324 times)

Offline Durloth

• Members
Re: My Ostland army
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2014, 08:26:59 AM »
BTW: Does anyone have a spare of the chimney top from the Implacable Steam Tank variant that they would be willing to part with?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:50:40 AM by Durloth »

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2014, 08:29:02 AM »
awesome work with a mostly dark color scheme!
Even though you didn't asked for a notation on the personal blogs thread I did add you

Thanks!
I didn't quite get the second part. What did you add me to?

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2014, 09:50:36 AM »
awesome work with a mostly dark color scheme!
Even though you didn't asked for a notation on the personal blogs thread I did add you

Thanks!
I didn't quite get the second part. What did you add me to?

this: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=32944
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2014, 10:34:32 AM »
Cool! Thank you:)

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2014, 09:19:37 PM »
I'm a freaking hobby tornado these days!

Which variant do you prefer?

This one is kind of deep (well... kind of). It really contrast the opulent, corrupt clergy of the Empire, with the stark raw ideal of their deity. They have even placed his image on a slightly lower plinth than the lector is standing on, showing how the god is actually the servant of the clergy, not the other way around. (Yes, I know the statue is actually Valten, but if I cut away the hammers and arm him with Gal Maraz he'll be the very image of Siggy)

This one? Well, this one is just huge:

The Arch Lector is Inquisitor Magnus from Game Zone http://gamezoneminiatures.de/imperium/infanterie/inquisitor-magnus.html
I think he really gives out a Shadows over Bögenhafen type wibe. He is magnetized so I can place a Warrior Priest on the pulpit, should I be pleased enough with the finished result to want to enter the wagon into next years national GW painting competition.

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Members
  • Imperial Liberal
« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2014, 09:21:20 PM »
Definitely the Golden Griffon. Way cooler looking, and more impressive from across the board.
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2014, 09:25:06 PM »
Noted!

Griffon-Siggy 1-0

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: My Ostland army (Now all interactive and stuff)
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2014, 09:44:49 PM »
griffon to much there..
valten to small

0--0 any third choice?
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Lateksimajava

• Members
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2014, 10:05:37 PM »
Nice work - as always! I'd say use the old metal griffon from the war altar. Thanks for the great models you've posted here for my inspiration :)

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #84 on: January 29, 2014, 10:05:48 PM »
I'm open for ideas. So far I have been considering the old Deathclaw (larger) and the old steam tank variant reliquiary (smaller). Nothing in between.

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2014, 10:12:47 PM »
Nice work - as always! I'd say use the old metal griffon from the war altar. Thanks for the great models you've posted here for my inspiration :)

Thanks! The problem there is that I don't have that griffin in my bitz box and this model is already the worst money sink ever (two steam tanks and an altar) without me having to Ebay an OOP War Altar on top of it all.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2014, 10:44:18 PM »
griffon...go big or go home ( DUDE THATS WARHAMME)   :icon_twisted:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2014, 01:23:16 AM »
I prefer the statue of Sigmar - I think that is very cool.

But why not magnetize them? :)
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Playonwords

• Members
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2014, 01:57:36 AM »
I would go for the griffon also. Not that ive had experience with this myself, but ive heard that in modeling terms, trying to create a statue of something using the normal-sized model doesnt actually work. They end up looking oddly small.

Thats one reason.

The second reason i prefer the griffon is because it will simply look more impressive. However, i feel that there also needs to be something added in the space between the arch lector and the griffon. Perhaps a throne of some kind similar to the one Hoodling made for his war altar. Just my 2 cents..

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2014, 06:24:54 AM »
2-0 for the griffon (I also asked my 10-year-old daughter who has started painting and terrain building with me).  :biggriin:

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2014, 08:31:05 PM »

Thanks for the input, guys! I guess I'll bow for the voice of the people (and ten-year-olds and my wife) and go for the griffon. 

But why not magnetize them? :)

As primarily a tournament player, I lug my armies all around and... well, I'll let a picture of what happens when I try to pack the wagon in one of my foam trays as it would be without magnets, explain for me:

contra with magnets:

I magnetize just about everything these days. The thing that I think gains the most from it is banner poles. At grown up tournaments (like the ETC) we tend to be more than a little drunk while playing and I love getting that look of sympathy when my lack of coordination makes me "break" the banner- only to put it back together again, no harm done:)

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2014, 08:36:37 PM »
griffon...go big or go home ( DUDE THATS WARHAMME)   :icon_twisted:

That's argument enough for me:)

Offline naturalselect

• Members
« Reply #92 on: January 31, 2014, 04:18:36 AM »
srsly durloth all your stuff is insane and it looks so damn good.

I know u probably made up your mind already but i think the griffon too ;)

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #93 on: January 31, 2014, 08:22:47 AM »
I've heard a rumour that GW has irreversibly destroyed a big chunk of their metal miniatures, which means that the Valten figure your are willing to sacrifice is one of the few remaining. Better keep it safe and in good condition, it's an artifact of a great historical and artistic value. For your conversion needs better use that plastic chicken from the bits box, those exist in hundreds.

Good job on converting the wagons, :eusa_clap:
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2014, 08:18:22 AM »
@Naturalselect: Thank you!

@Playonwords: I don't have any pictures yet, but your comment made me see that I definitively needed to put something in between there, so now there is a bookshelf and some stuff there. Looks better.

@DariusZero: Thanks for the heads up! Last time I checked, the rumor was still just somethingg like "a friend of a friend has a source who told him that the great smelt was going on". Have it been further verified? Anyway- I'm not much of a miniature collector and would rather use and convert a classic mini, that keep it on a box.

Saturday we had the sun back for the first time since it disappeared in November, so we've been spending the precious daytime outside:)  The altar is more or less finished (only needs a bit of green stuff) and I've put together a quick Hurricanum and Luminark. They aren't very inspired or interesting, but I've made a couple of changes, that I think benefits them.

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2014, 09:01:38 AM »
The fruits of my labour these last weeks:

I tried a whole evening to make the hurricanum planet engine thingy look more to my liking (looks too much like it would make the wagon fall over) and I wasn't able to make a good looking gyroscope (which I think would look kick ass), so I ended up stripping it completely. I imagine the acolytes being something like masters' students at the College of Heavens. They are given this wagon to do their own observations of the heavens and trying out their battle magic from as safe a perch as possible. That gives an explanation for the random spell effect as well.

All the wagons are dry mostly fitted, so I can strip them back into a handfull of sub assemblies when they are to be painted.

I had some qualms about the Luminarks' top heavy looks as well. While better than the engine on the Hurricanum, it was still a bit too much and I have been looking for an excause to use the old Steam Tank reliquiary for years. It's just so amazingly cool!

It kind of lost it's scientific look and ended up more religious. In a way banishing daemons and stuff seems more of a religious pursuit, but I do like the idea of science being a way to create order in cosmos and thus being the antithesis of Chaos.

The Waltar is pretty much finished. just some GSing left to do here and there. The shelf is from a Questing Knight (brilliant miniatures that I've wanted to paint ever since their release. Guess stripping them for parts is the next best thing).

I also put together a couple of spearmen. I want to use sallet style helmets in my upcoming regiments and felt I needed to put some in my spearmen as well, so it won't clash to badly.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2014, 10:54:17 PM »
love it  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Members
  • Imperial Liberal
« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2014, 07:12:18 AM »
Lookin' good!  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

Offline Playonwords

• Members
« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2014, 07:51:17 AM »
Looking really good, but need more close ups!! I want to see the reliquary better. Plus, where did you get that arch lector model? It's iconic!

Offline Durloth

• Members
« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2014, 07:42:38 PM »
Thanks guys! I'll do some close up when I'm done GSing. The Arch Lector is from Game Zone:  http://gamezoneminiatures.de/imperium/infanterie/inquisitor-magnus.html