home

Author Topic: Where ya at with W:AoS and the rest of the hobby?  (Read 6976 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Where ya at with W:AoS and the rest of the hobby?
« on: June 26, 2019, 01:53:18 PM »
So ... it has been a 4 years since the release of Warhammer: Age of Sigmar.

Time seems to have flown past, more figures have been released aimed at it, and folks seem to be all over the place with their own Warhammer or other fantasy gaming.

Where are ya at with your's?  Have ya tried W:AoS?  Continued with it?  Turned to something else? Or continued to play a previous version?  Or maybe a little bit of various choices along the way?

For me ... haven't tried it, still might, drifted towards doing more and more historical gaming, even using Empire figures for this, almost no fantasy anymore, although would like to get back to playing 6th edition, maybe 7th, at some point.

"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Where ya at with W:AoS and the rest of the hobby?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 02:39:37 PM »
Age of Sigmar is pretty firmly in my repertoire, but I play games based on what campaign the local store is running, or what my friends feel like that day. We all like AoS, but the current hot thing is kill team or 40k.

There's still lots of areas for improvement in AoS but its much better then it was. It's an incredible black spot on their part that theres still no free peoples update, but I do quite like the models and factions they've been putting out otherwise. The growth in lore is real nice as well, although it takes some getting use to with this 'living lore' or whatever they call it.

I've had maybe three games of it so far, and I'm having a whole day of gaming tomorrow that's going to be primarily AoS (And maybe some 8th edition fantasy).

Part of the problem right now is that we're so spoiled for options. My local club runs a different campaign each month or two, and literally picks between ten or so different game systems. Unless someone has something planned when a campaign starts we decide the campaign after that by putting names of game systems in a hat and the boss man draws one. Whoever pushed for that system to be included then writes/sets up the campaign, and has about two months while the current campaign runs to do so. Last draw had Kings of war, Age of Sigmar, Kill Team, 40k, Necromunda, Warmachine, Hordes of War, Frostgrave, 9th edition fantasy and some other one I've never heard of. There's a huge number of different games available now, when not that long ago it was really just a toss up between GW Fantasy and 40k.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 02:45:31 PM »
I have been drifting away a bit towards 40k, but now and then I still play and just got the new GHB to delve into..
Local club though embrassed AoS recently so more opportunities might arrise to play some more games here and there then I have been.

My drifting away has been twofold.
1) My spiked interest in 40k 8th with my T'au
2) Increased releases for Stormcast which I just couldn't keep up with with my wallet and time to build/paint and thus lacking in a bit of a competitive setting with list building. And Free People still lacking a battletome still stings.. Though I hope the new GHB has something nice for them to help them a bit further along (will see this evening)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 02:48:26 PM by StealthKnightSteg »
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 04:23:10 PM »
There are so many stormcast releases. I like the faction and the models, but we could use a wee break from them.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 07:35:50 PM »
I made the transfer quite easily actually. Was out of the hobby for a few years and then the transition. I like the mix of everything, the 3 methods of play - open, narrative and matched. Big or small games , I like the models mostly. The game is much easier to access with all the warscrolls. It really works for my situation. I spent about 6 years with the old system playing 2x a week and every tournament we could find but the new game suits my new situation perfectly. I’ve always been easy with change so it wasn’t a big one for me but it sure upset a lot of players the way they went about it. It certainly could have been done better.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 05:17:05 AM »
I buy the models to use in 6th. I tried it, not a fan. Too much skirmish and reskin 40k for my liking. Blocks of troops and rank and flank are what i want to see on a table.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 07:33:30 AM »
There are so many stormcast releases. I like the faction and the models, but we could use a wee break from them.

Now if I just change a couple of words

There are so many space marine releases. I like the faction and the models, but we could use a wee break from them.

:engel:

Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2019, 06:42:37 PM »
GP, I'm exactly where you are (1st post).

However, I HAVE played 6th ed and KoW and tested Warlords of Erehwon.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 10:19:26 PM »

There are so many space marine releases. I like the faction and the models, but we could use a wee break from them.

Your so very not wrong. They clearly plan to run the stormcast on the space marine model of updates.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 04:24:38 AM »
im still waiting for basic humans  :dry:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 12:57:32 PM »
Age of Sigmar is pretty firmly in my repertoire, but I play games based on what campaign the local store is running, or what my friends feel like that day. We all like AoS, but the current hot thing is kill team or 40k.

There's still lots of areas for improvement in AoS but its much better then it was. It's an incredible black spot on their part that theres still no free peoples update, but I do quite like the models and factions they've been putting out otherwise. The growth in lore is real nice as well, although it takes some getting use to with this 'living lore' or whatever they call it.

I've had maybe three games of it so far, and I'm having a whole day of gaming tomorrow that's going to be primarily AoS (And maybe some 8th edition fantasy).
I'm beginning to think  might not ever play if I don't keep up with all the changes, and my time and energy is spread elsewhere.

Part of the problem right now is that we're so spoiled for options. My local club runs a different campaign each month or two, and literally picks between ten or so different game systems. Unless someone has something planned when a campaign starts we decide the campaign after that by putting names of game systems in a hat and the boss man draws one. Whoever pushed for that system to be included then writes/sets up the campaign, and has about two months while the current campaign runs to do so. Last draw had Kings of war, Age of Sigmar, Kill Team, 40k, Necromunda, Warmachine, Hordes of War, Frostgrave, 9th edition fantasy and some other one I've never heard of. There's a huge number of different games available now, when not that long ago it was really just a toss up between GW Fantasy and 40k.
This seems good for a local store to be able to stay in business with lots of game systems going on, and thus folks needing to have figures available across various areas of interest.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 12:59:13 PM »
Ha!  I just had my hands on one of these figures last week, and it did nothing for my interest in painting them, which is currently nil anyway.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 01:01:30 PM »
GP, I'm exactly where you are (1st post).

However, I HAVE played 6th ed and KoW and tested Warlords of Erehwon.
What is the latter? Haven't heard of it.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 01:05:55 PM »

Your so very not wrong. They clearly plan to run the stormcast on the space marine model of updates.
To think that stormcrud is so close in looks to space marines, oh my ... it causes me to think of one word ... marketing.

(GP ... are you being negative?)

:icon_lol:  Blame Midaski.  :icon_wink:

Seriously, there must be a lot of folks buying stormcrud figures for them to be coming out with so many different types.  It is one way to keep fantasy going for them I suppose.

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 06:22:25 PM »
When AOS replaced 8th Edition I think like a most people who were very much invested into Fantasy it felt like a kick in the teeth, AOS upon release definitely didn't hit the mark for a lot of those people including myself and I moved towards 40k instead.

I have to say now it feels like very much refined and enjoying what it has to offer, the games are very much faster and since I play 40k, the rules are similar and feels more like what Fantasy used to be. It's still not as tactical for my liking but I think the majority of the people who I've spoken to who I used to play Fantasy against prefer AOS.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 04:51:51 PM »
When AOS replaced 8th Edition I think like a most people who were very much invested into Fantasy it felt like a kick in the teeth, AOS upon release definitely didn't hit the mark for a lot of those people including myself and I moved towards 40k instead.

I have to say now it feels like very much refined and enjoying what it has to offer, the games are very much faster and since I play 40k, the rules are similar and feels more like what Fantasy used to be. It's still not as tactical for my liking but I think the majority of the people who I've spoken to who I used to play Fantasy against prefer AOS.

Very much was like this!! I hated the whole concept of AOS ( extend middle finger ) However, if they pull off humans right with a feel of the past or even just a foot hole im might be coming back
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 12:29:47 AM »
I've put much of my ongoing projects on hold as the local game store has a sub-par range, is poorly managed and most of the clientele are repugnant chin beards who insist on lecturing everyone who comes through the door on what they think of Yu-gi-oh. I only ever go there if I need paint.
I usually have to drive out of town if I want anything specific. I have however been getting the Conquest part works and have been having enormous fun with it. I chose to paint the Primaris marines in Howling Griffons. Its easy to paint yellow if you know the trick.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2019, 01:51:03 AM »
As of tonight, we have a new place. Signing a 3 year lease. This place is exactly what I was hoping for. 2 story with the laundry on the 1st floor. This is critical as the basement is huge, with only a wash tub and furnace etc and tons of room for tables, shelves for hordes, work bench (or benches) and a couple of decent size windows. I don’t feel like finishing the basement at the moment so I’ll take it as it is.
I have a converted 2500 pt ork  army, 2480 Deciples of Sigmar, 1800 point skaven/beastman army converted to AoS, with a fledgling Stormcast of 1220 points, 2480 gloomspite to finish and partially convert, enough for a free guild of 2500, 2480 elf conversion, and 2470  Tzeentch army for conversion. And a dwarf contingent.
I’ve named it in honour of GP - The Matorean Division.

Matorean  Chamber Host - Stormcrud err...Stormcast
1st Matorean Company - old empire dudes
2nd Matorean Company - old elf army + new sylvaneth
3rd Matorean Company - old dwarf - reduced Company
Disciples of Sigmar - zeolot army of Matorea

Matorea being a coastal free city on a mountainous peninsula in the realm of Hysh.
All the badguys are the problems they face.
On their way to being this anyway. I’m not proceeding with the empire, elf or dwarf  conversions until the cities of Sigmar clarify there place in the scheme of things. Until then it’s the stormcast and beloved gloomspite to work on.
Cannot wait to get back at it. Probably at least a month to get semi organized.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2019, 03:48:27 AM »
You're inspiring in me interest for painting my own Matoreans.  Course that ain't happening immediately. :icon_lol:

Offline Gargolock

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2019, 07:40:38 PM »
Started out with W:AoS switched to Kings of War really recently. I have been slowly losing interest in AoS and getting bored with it but just recently I switched, I think the straw that broke the camels back was the empire range being killed, just made me reconsider games workshop and their worlds as a whole.

So I learned how to play wargames with AoS as its a great starter but have gotten bored of it. Currently still working on my Hochland army to use in KoW. Currently painting blocks of Pro Gloria statetroops.

Offline Cèsar de Quart

• Members
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2019, 10:01:40 AM »
Five or six years ago I began playing 40k, back when Fantasy rules were dismal. Kill Team was ok, but a bit boring to me (not whacky enough for a skirmish game). Apocalypse, the new "40k but big" game, is amazing, maybe the best game GW has ever designed. Fast, fun, complex, engaging...

I still play Mordheim from time to time. That well will never dry out. With a few house rules, Mordheim never fails to deliver a fun afternoon and many crippled and deranged heroes.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2019, 01:20:44 PM »
I picked up the new-ish Beastmen [or whatever the name it is they go by now] box set to add to my old Nurgly Beastmen army. Its been a very slow project. Empire and Bretonian [as well as 80-something percent of what else I used to collect] are no longer on shelves or the direct market but it has not stopped me. I'm just going to add to what forces I have with the modern equivalents that are available.

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2019, 08:30:06 AM »
Have not touched Age of Sigmar yet. I was about to try and get to play the Skirmish version, then they released new rules and wohaa, everything suddenly needed you to buy several books in order to play the game properly.
So much for free rules.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2019, 01:27:50 PM »
Happy with the new Cities of Sigmar but looking at the available units, I see a lot missing. I assume they will add some back in? There are flagellants but no warrior priest/war priest. Mostly dark elf stuff survived which I have no interest in and I don’t think I have it in me to do many ‘counts as’ units. Except for my unbuilt shadow warriors and I can convert a few archer units to shadow, I will leave my elf army as it was.
I’m pretty sure I can successfully transition my dwarf units but no more thunderers/quarrellers and I don’t see any cannon/great cannon
anymore.
I’m happy that GP turned me toward Dragon Rampant because that’s where a lot of retirees will head.
Still, there is an endless array of possible units that may come down the line later. I think my greatest feel of loss is the warrior priests. I had 10 converted/unconverted units that I really liked.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Mathi Alfblut

• Members
  • intres cum fixura sine misericordia
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2019, 02:07:51 PM »
Well, I think there are warrior priests but they are called Acolytes or something like that.
Oh, and remember GW made it personal, not you!