home

Author Topic: Way off-topic: LEGO Ideas project (Adventurers) sharing and seeking support!  (Read 2477 times)

Offline arselus

• Members
Hi WE! It has been some time since I posted! Nice to be back here checking out what is new.

With some extra time on my hands in the last month I've gotten into "LEGO Ideas" - designing and building my own projects. I wanted to share one with you and ask for your vote! If it reaches 10k there's a chance that LEGO will actually produce it. The project is called "Johnny Thunder Returns!" (The Rover Expedition) it is on the LEGO Ideas site here:
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/60beb351-7f98-44f7-88a3-db4be4016a4a

This is based on the LEGO Adventurers line, which ran from 1998-2003. Some of you (or your kids) might have collected it. It was one of my favorites as a kid.

The model is completely digital. I used Bricklink Studio 2.0 to design this. As many of us on WE are creative and love design/building, I thought some of you might be interested in it. It is fun to play around with, and I'm seriously impressed at the quality (esp. considering that it is all free.) It is available here:
https://www.bricklink.com/v3/studio/download.page

I also used GIMP for some of the backgrounds, and have been teaching myself how to use it. It is also free, available here:
https://www.gimp.org

Happy building to those who decide to try these out! Please support my project! And all the best to you!
 :smile2:

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
looks great!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline arselus

• Members
looks great!

Dude! StealthKnightSteg - thank you so much for the support and even upvoting on LEGO Ideas. Super kind of you!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
I'm not a Lego guy, but I have siblings and nieces and nephews that are all over them.  So I supported your project.  By the way, it does look like a good one!  :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline arselus

• Members
I'm not a Lego guy, but I have siblings and nieces and nephews that are all over them.  So I supported your project.  By the way, it does look like a good one!  :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

GamesPoet, thank you so much! Really appreciate the support. Really kind of you to make an account and upvote it!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
I was a major lego guy. Before Warhammer - it was the main thing I collected. I still have a lot, and will start sharing with my son too.
I had the Adventures line - and was very into Indiana Jones. I had the Egyptian temple, and elephant, hot air balloon and various vehicles. I ended up making a Venice scene based on Indiana Jones - The Last Crusade. I also repurposed the pirate ‘islander’ sets to start making a Raiders of the Lost Ark scene with the natives chasing Indiana (Johnny Thunder?) to his plane.

I might have some photos I can dig up.
And I might try and create an account and upvote for you.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
I got excited about Legos again when buying my nephews legos. I hadnt paid attention to them in awhile but was blown away b their old Agents line and some Alien Defense ones, and especially the LOTR ones. I bought a few sets to keep at my house for when they came over, and it was fun assembling them with the kids, but one thing I realized when I was done that I had lost all my imagination as to do anything with them after.

It was a sad day.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
To be fair, the newer sets have a lot more specific pieces. You need a base set of random bricks first to be able to do more with them.

My son has started collecting pokemon cards, and i told him to pick any card and I would build it out of lego. He picked some Flaming Bird pokemon, and after about 2 hours I made a fairly good recreation. Again, I will need to take some pics and post.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline arselus

• Members
Thanks for the support all!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
So, I finally found some pictures of my old lego - in particular from that adventurers set.

Having more building skill now, and also having been to Venice twice, I would definitely update the Venice build.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
Lovely work Warlord. I didn't have much of the Adventure set, I had more knights and pirates ;-)
Recently, since a programma called Lego Masters 2020, my wife was bitten bye the Lego bug. So we recently bought Lego Hogwarts and Hedwig. Very nice kits, but a lot of work!
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
I never had much pirates (though that tropical set I think was actually pirates), only one ship and some smaller bits and pieces.

I have LOTS of knights, but have no photos. Really need to take some - most relevant to our forum.

I also have a bunch of space, city, underwater explorers, cowboys and indians, and star wars ships.

James has some lego now, and Lego Masters TV show also Got us interested.

What is lego Hedwig?

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members

What is lego Hedwig?

I assume he is an owl

My loft/attic has a collection of Lego - awaiting the grandchildren.
Train sets and town & City stuff.
Aeroplanes
Pirates and boats
Knights and Robin Hood
and loads more.

It is supposed to be a retirement project to get it all down from the loft and 'repackage' it in plastic bags, and I think I have at least some of the flattened empty boxes as well to put the kits back in.
Presents ready for the grandkids .... .... ....

... ... ... not that I am cheap at all.  :engel:
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166

What is lego Hedwig?

I assume he is an owl

I think it was a she.

And even the wings clap!

Now that we have bought some newer stuff, I must say, Lego has come a long way.
The basic principle has stayed the same, but the special blocks you have now...

I still have all my lego's at the attic. Not nicely packed or sorted, just two full boxes of different pieces...
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
Take a look at all these Lego castles ... http://www.carneycastle.com/index.htm

And here is a previous Lego thread ... http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php/topic,49376.0.html
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 01:41:46 PM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Ah, that old lego thread where pictures were deleted due to the photobucket purge.

Thats the thing - lego has come a LONG way. There are a lot more moving parts than there used to be. And kids are used to all minifigs having different faces instead of the plain old :)

I know my sets were good for their time, however compared to all the new moving parts, I'm not sure how engaged my son would be, considering he wants to make dragons and pokemon - and those all require moving arms, legs and wings...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
When I was a youngster, we had erector sets, and legos had just barely gotten started.  I remember the big legos too!