home

Author Topic: My Hochland Project (3-19-2009)  (Read 41623 times)

Offline LochNESS

• Members
  • Averland - That's where I am
My Hochland Project (3-19-2009)
« on: May 14, 2007, 04:36:52 PM »
I finally got my old name back and can log into Warhammer Empire again. And I thought that to celebrate this I would it would be best to show my favourite army. This would of course be the Empire. The Empire is my first army, which I started somewhere 1996 with the purchase of some Swordsmen. These guys were painted quite alot of times (first Ostermark, then Hochland, finally Nuln) and are not in the best condition. Somewhere 2000 (with the release of the 6th edition armybook) my army took shape into the form of Hochland although the regiments for different provinces remained dominant. Now it's time to complete the whole stuff and build myself a decent army.

Aldebrandt Ludendorf, Elector Count of Hochland

Battlestandard Bearer (With a banner based on the Bundesland weapon of Nord-Rhein West-Phalia)

Captain with Dragonbow

Jade Wizard

Halbardiers (these are not totally finished in this picture but as I have to borrow my digicam had to take pictures in this stage. The skin and leather parts still need work in this picture)

Spearmen

Handgunner unit 1 (unit 2 is the same unit in reverse coloursceme, marksmens with longrifle are WIP)

Great Cannon (same problem as the Halbardiers here. So faces and leather is not finished (same batch))

There are quite some things I'm working on at the moment also, for example a unit of Knights, a unit of Greatswords and another cannon and Mortar. Some of my old spearmen for this army need a repaint also because they do not match the total quality of the last minis so some extra highlights will be splashed on them. Finally for those that want to, you can check some more images here: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v418/LochNESS/empire/

Regards,

LochNESS
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 07:45:19 AM by LochNESS »
Design stays, however, according to my opinion, at least partially something miraculous. -J. Bakema (Architect)

Count of Averland - Check out my boardgame, wargame and hobby blog here!

Offline vadis

• Members
  • Macho Salvaje
Re: My Hochland Project
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 05:01:13 PM »
Looking good! I like a lot how the scheme looks in the regiments. May I ask, which bits did you used for the dragon bow? It looks great. Oh, the wood effect painted in the cannon looks really cool also.

Offline cheaky

• Members
  • Melbs, Australia
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 06:25:11 PM »
Hey! Welcome back to WE.

The freehand you've done on the shields and banners is awesome. I really like the way you've pained the cannon.

How did you make/where did you get the dragon bow from?

Looks great

cheaky

Offline Burek

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 07:00:36 PM »
That dragon bow looks amazing,tell us how you made it,so we can steal your idea admire your work. :happy:

Offline LochNESS

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 07:41:58 PM »
Thanks for your kind replies :)

To answer your questions on how I made the Dragonbow I will clarify this all (hopefully)
-First take the arm of the militia archers pointing forward and cut the bow from the hand.
-Get yourself a High Elf Spearmen box and steal the Dragon bannertops from it.
-Clean the mouldlines and glue it to the arm.
-You are done and ready to paint (after assembling the rest of the model ofcourse)

The arrow used is from the Skelleton Boxed set, but you could always use the arrows that the militiaset has. String was made from normal sowingwire (for fixing clothes etc).
Design stays, however, according to my opinion, at least partially something miraculous. -J. Bakema (Architect)

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 08:00:23 PM »
Very nice indeed Nessie. Keep them coming. :happy:
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Ratarsed

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 08:04:59 PM »
Consider that one stolen idea! Amazing work, just how I hope mp army will turn out when it finaly gets finished.

Ratarsed

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 09:08:06 PM »
That's a very kool looking army! I love your battle standard bearer. I love how he has just that little bit of green puff and slash showing. It's a good way to break up the model.

*thumbs up*

sj

Offline Lunarion

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 10:08:42 PM »
Very nice, I especially like the captain with bow and the cannon!

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 06:22:30 AM »
The Dragonbow Captain is very nice indeed, I doubt anybody has such a good WYSIWYG Captain with the DB.

I also have to chime in with the comments on the BSB, the painting on the banner is excellent (so is the rest of the mini for that matter). The way you've used black to create a more three dimensional look to the heraldric symbols works out great.

Kudos also for the Spearmen, they're a good looking regiment and I just love the halved colour scheme on the shields. Seems the guy in the back corner is missing his spearpoint though.

Great way to come back to the site, make sure you post more as your army progresses. :icon_biggrin:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Hochland Hero

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 09:44:46 AM »
wow fantastic stuff I have just started a Hochland army and this is just great inspiration!! :happy:
Quote from: Tostig
while drinking, once you're proficient enough, makes you invulnerable.

Offline MrAnderssen

• Members
  • Stirland River Patroler
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 10:17:56 AM »
I absolutely love this army. especially the cappy. keep up the good work.

Mr.Anderssen

Offline Auberswald

• Members
  • How much blackpowder?!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 10:20:29 AM »
This is brilliant! I love your work on this army. How big is it? As just about evryone else has said, the Captain with the Dragon Bow looks awesome. What bow did you use on him? Plus I admire the fact that you've gone to the effort of modelling an arrow on to it... us normal people don't bother  :closed-eyes:
Feuer Frei!

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2007, 10:37:38 AM »
@Auberswald: lochNESS has already explained how he made the bow a few posts up.
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline LochNESS

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2007, 10:40:47 AM »
Thanks you all :)

@Auberswald : The army as planned can be found in the armylist section. The painted part (besides the shown minis are: 2x20 spearmen (full command), 10 other handgunners and an amber wizard.)

@BAWTRM: I was thinking of redoing some parts on the banner, especially the black lining in the white areas with something more greyish to fit more into the banner although I must admit that I like the result of the extra detail on it.

Offline Veldemere

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 11:17:58 AM »
Don't want to sound like a broken record here but to add my applause here, your work is excellent.
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 02:20:40 PM »
I think the black works wonderfully, going over it with grey might ruin the effect.

Unless the result on the photo is different from how it looks in real life of course. :icon_smile:

PhillyT

Offline Tall Ed

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 02:46:03 PM »
Really Good,   :eusa_clap:

I like the red and green colour scheme, and the freehand on the banners is excellent.

I was wondering how you painted the wood on the cannon as I am at the moment working out how I'm going to paint mine.

Also just out of intrest how long do you spend painting each model?

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 03:36:28 PM »
Gorgeous choice of colors. Very nice!

Offline LochNESS

• Members
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2007, 03:41:42 PM »
How long I spend on each model differs from unit to unit and has decreased over time (it should have as I have already painted 131 of these lads for Hochland) for the unit of halbardiers it's about 1 1/2 to 2 hours per model. Of course characters take a lot longer. And I don't count assembling. Many small conversions have been done to the spearmen by swapping the heads to give some variation (but keep the powerful uniformy of empire regiments) The handgunners are harder to pull this trick off so I skipped those and instead give them different coloured leather parts, heads, shoes and the like.

The captain with dragonbow took me 7 or 8 hours of painting (of which 45 minutes were spend on the freehand Griffin on the shield). The Greatswords I'm working on at the moment are comming close to this per model (I think I'm around 4-5 hours per model and now just over halfway) to this as I've chosen a terrible coloursceme for these lads as can be seen in this WIP:

I wanted to incorporate the powerful Red-Green coloursceme into these models. But as they are mostly armour and on most models only the right arm has a uniform visible I needed to incorporate this into on sleef. I could use the GW coloursceme of each 'puff' a colour but then I remembered seeing a 6th edition Handgunner on Gamesday once that had this cool thing with one colour in the recesses and one on the higher parts and I tried it out on this musician. Then came the terrible job to apply the same paintjob to 19 other models (10 of them are now done, the other 10 have the recesses fully painted but green needs still 3 highlights)

All the other parts have gotten their base colours (hats, shoes, paper etc etc) and I have started the freehand on the banner (the Hochland standard depicted in UK WD 326: Colours of the Empire article) Still lots to do though, the metal needs highlighting just as all the smaller details that I have base coloured. I could use them in battle now but they are not 'up to army standards'.

To answer the inevitable question ;)
Q: "Do you base?"
A: "Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I prefer to base my models but when I don't have any spraypaint around I don't. I use mostly Vallejo Gamecolour paints btw with some GW paints (foundation, browns and some others)"

@Tall Ed: Hmm, good question, lets get it from the display and check it out... (I forgot)
-Cannon: Tin Bitz, Brazzen Brass, Dwarf Bronze
-Wood: Scorched brown base, then paint a grain on it with Dark Flesh, Highlight this with Bestial Brown and finally, very thin with (and this is where it gets tricky) Bronzed flesh or Vermin Brown.

Edit: I see the problem with the cannon, it's two different sides and colours. One side the last highlight is Bubonic brown, but I didn't like it too much so the other side has been done in a different extreme highlight Bronzed Flesh (because that's a bit darker and shades better into Bestial Brown and Dark Flesh)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 03:45:05 PM by LochNESS »

Offline Tall Ed

• Members
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2007, 04:11:44 PM »
Thanks for the colour scheme I will try this when painting my cannon sometime in the next few weeks.

I'm not so sure about the layered look, you have done a great job on it, but personally I'm not keen on it. However my opinion may change once I have seen the fully painted unit.

Offline Lachieo

• Members
  • Faith and Steel!
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2007, 05:13:39 AM »
Love your minis, that GS musician is looking pretty groovy. Keep it up :-)
I have CDO, it's OCD but in alphabetical order. The Way It Should Be!
W/L/D 8th ED Army of Awesomeness: 10/0/0 :)

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2007, 06:50:23 AM »
Ha ha ha... That dragonbow captain ->  :eusa_clap:

Reason that I laugh is that I told my uncle who always nags me about using the Dragonbow (he loves hunter styled Empire dudes for some reason) and I told him it wasn't appropriate for an officer of the Empire to use one, and it would look daft. He was right and I was wrong at least when it comes to look. This captain looks very cool.
My hood is my castle...

Offline LochNESS

• Members
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 11:37:56 AM »
Finally, all the layering on the Greatswords has been finished. Now it's time for the smaller stuff that's remaining on them. And I must say, they look stunning. These small red lines look great on such large scale. Gives some kind of 'status' to them and makes for a very regimental and organised look.  :biggriin:

Sorry, can't take any pictures at the moment as I don't have a digicam. I borrow it from either my gf or my faculty.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2007, 02:38:16 PM »
frikkin beautyful keep it coming also looks like a very cool list