home

Author Topic: Timothias's Nuln Expeditionary Force (City State Repaint)  (Read 22558 times)

Offline Timothias

• Members
  • Iron Company of Nuln
Timothias's Nuln Expeditionary Force (City State Repaint)
« on: March 16, 2011, 08:52:39 PM »
The expeditionary force in Nuln has a chequered history. Founded by Bastian Hammerstein when he was Arch-Lector, the army was set against the rise of an ambitious Vampire bloodline; the von Draks. The war was won, but the damage was great. His reputation, as well as his sanity in tatters, Hammerstein's command was eventually replaced by the prodigious Timothias Lindmann, who quickly rose through the ranks of the Holy Order of Templars. Now Lord Protector, Lindmann enjoys a great deal of autonomy from the City-State's official standing army, and leads the Nuln Expeditionary Force in 'unofficial business', battles far beyond the city walls - be it for pre-emptive strikes, purging known heretical covens, the acquisition of items of power to use in the battle against the forces of destruction, or in aid of his network of allies.

Timothias Lindmann
The Legendary Witch Hunter General and Lord Protector of the Holy Order of the Templars of Sigmar. He rose to fame during the war against the von Draks and took over Hammerstein's command of the Nuln Expeditionary Force. Since then their assignments have primarily involved Templar business.

Bastian Hammerstein
Former Arch-Lector and famed Defender of Nuln during the war against the von Draks. Bastian's power has waned immensely since those days, his mind broken from the final comprehension of von Drak's insane scheme, generations in the planning, and his own father's role in it. Hammerstein was ousted from the role of Arch-Lector in the years following the invasion, as his mind and ideals became more and more unsound. He can still be seen at the head of his old companions and still-loyal followers, the Bastards of Nuln, or 'Bastian's Bastards' as they are known locally, tending to thier 'spiritual' needs. Suffice it to say, when the Bastards raise hell, it is in the name of Sigmar.

Leon von Liebowitz
Second cousin to Countess Emmanuelle, Leon is universally ignored by the ruling elite of Nuln. His drunken debauchery and exotic tastes in Halfling ale and wenches alike have made him long time comrade and leader to the Bastards of Nuln, and life-long companion to Bastian Hammerstein. Upon Lindmann's appointment to Lord protector, von Liebowitz has taken over duties associated with bearing the Griffon Standard.

Gotthard Gründel
Grandson of the Gründel who led the famous Gründel's Defender's against the von Draks. The canny Sergeant Gotthard saw how ineffectual and archaic spears were in modern warfare ('pointed sticks' as he called them), and led sweeping changes to the armament of the Defenders. Utilising the Emperor's decree of mandatory standing forces of trained halberdiers, Gründel had a huge base of manpower to draw from when he reformed the famous regiment and armed them with the more effective halberd, which had the reach of the spear but which was able to slash as well as thrust.

Brother Wigfeld
A fanatically loyal Warrior Priest of the Cult of Sigmar who followed Bastian after his expulsion from the Cult. Assigned to Gründel's Defenders, Wigfeld ensures the State Troops under Lindmann's command know exactly where their loyalties lie.

The Lindmann War Altar
The Imperial War Altar, adorned with the Golden Griffon, is used primarily by the Grand Theogonist himself, and is only assigned to the Arch-Lectors at times of great need. For Timothias Lindmann, such times are frequent, so he deemed it necessary to exert his influence on the Holy Order of Templars to commission this Righteous Vehicle of Cleansing Faith. The gold statue of the God-Emperor Sigmar acts as a receiver, conduit and amplifier to the power of the stubborn faith of those who follow Sigmar. A lectern has been installed which holds one of the many vile, heretical grimoires owned by Lindmann in order to combat Necromancy and Chaos. The brutal hook fastened to the rear of the machine has been of much use in extracting confessions and executing cultists and witches alike.

The Ogre Bro's (Brogres?)
Soon after Hammerstein's ascension to Arch Lector, three small babies were left on the door step of the Nuln Temple of Sigmar. Bastian raised the children as his own, and over the years no-one really noticed that they were in fact ogres. The trio now follow their foster father into battle.

Wilhelm (Bill) - Assigned to the Nuln State Myrmidons

Berthold (Bert) - Assigned to Bastian's Bastards

Tomas (Tom) - Assigned to Gründel's Defenders

The Brutal Bastards of Nuln (aka Bastian's Bastards)
The name is tongue in cheek - the 'Bastards' are in fact a regiment of disgraced noblemen; criminals and womanisers every one. Old drinking buddies of Hammerstein before he entered the church, the Bastards became renowned during the War against the von Draks. Bastian leads them still, and they remain his loyal retinue.

Gründel's Defenders
Historically charged with defending Nuln's atillery battery with spears and shields after the embarrassing sacking of the city by Grom the Paunch. The Defender's have been commandeered by Hammerstein and Lindmann, and re-equipped with the more modern halberd.

Nuln State Pistolkorps
Like most provinces and cities of the Empire, Nuln is home to a small base of Pistolkorps. Driven to battle by the lust for glory and fame, the Nuln Pistolkorps fell right in with Lindmann's intensive warmongering activities, where they are bound to see the most action.

Nuln State Myrmidons
Just as skilled as the state swordsmen of Nuln, the Myrmidons are notably more mercenary. Led my a mysterious figure known only as 'The Man with the Golden Sword', the Myrmidons provide support to the mainstay of the Expeditionary force. For a fee.

Black Reik Fusiliers
Led by Jak Scharf, one of the famous Scharf twins of the Gunnery School, the Fusiliers are a regiment of highly decorated handgunners. Their accuracy, as well as their bravery, is unparalleled - save maybe for the elite Nuln 'Ironsides'.

Long Tom
The Gunnery School in Nuln casts nearly every artillery piece employed in the Emperor's Armies. It is a gigantic complex of mighty forges and the Elector Counts spend much of their wealth to acquire the Gunnery School's finest pieces and to have their artillerymen trained by its gunnery captains.

Proud to uphold the great tradition of Nuln gunners, the crew of Long Tom are especially proficient.

Ol' Cranky
The life expectancy of a crew member for Ol' Cranky is remarkably low, even for men of the Empire. Unable to secure one of the more reliable models from the Gunnery School, Lindmann has been forced to make do with the seemingly inexhaustible supply of notably gullible Gunnery students eager to prove their worth and earn their rank with a stint manning Ol' Cranky.

Fury of Franz
From the experimental workshop of the Gunnery School. Nuln engineers have worked long and hard to modify and improve Master Engineer Herman Faulkstein's original rocket machine. Though initially named in tribute of the Emperor's usual reaction to requests for research grants, the devastating effect of the machine on the field of battle has made the name high praise indeed.

Deliverance
The Steam Tank Deliverance entered service in the year 2035 and its many battlefield performances have made it legendary. Deliverance caused untold carnage to the foe during the Great War Against Chaos after which it was honoured with the Imperial Cross by newly elected Emperor Magnus the Pious.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 04:36:39 AM by Timothias »

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: Timothias's Nuln Expeditionary Force
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 08:56:55 PM »
That is some awesome display of an army!!!
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Silic

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 09:10:52 PM »
Spectacular work. I'm really loving those Pistolkorps!

Where is your witch hunter character from? That model is amazing.

Offline Timothias

• Members
  • Iron Company of Nuln
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 09:12:44 PM »
Thank you so much :) A lot of what I have done has been directly inspired from things seen here on these forums.

The Witch Hunter is the Avatar's of War 'Witch Hound', which I ordered from Cool Mini Or Not.

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 09:23:06 PM »
very nice , especially quality adding the descriptions , and names!!

Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 09:26:51 PM »
Very great army congratulations.

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 10:14:39 PM »
Great job man !  :eusa_clap:
I've really enjoyed this...
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War

Offline Heinrich Kramer

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 10:32:17 PM »
Best Nuln army I've seen. Just out of curiosity, do you highlight the black on your state troops? :eusa_clap:

Offline Timothias

• Members
  • Iron Company of Nuln
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 10:53:42 PM »
Thank you! I am definitely very enthusiastic about Nuln, and needless to say am quite excited about the new Forge World campaign.

My army background was created over the course of a lengthy linked narrative campaign I played with my mate who plays VC, just after 8th ed came out.

You can't tell too much in these photos (I have had to make do the best I can with a cheap camera) but yes, the black colour on the state troops has been highlighted with grey and then inked over, a very sooty look which I like. It is also very quick, which was a must as I am getting ready for tournaments.

Offline Moriar

• Members
    • http://www.facebook.com/martindahl2
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 11:08:09 PM »
Hats of  to you fellow Nulner! Thats a really nice army you got there  :eusa_clap:

That witch hunter looks really bad ass! I like the mix of units you run. How many points is that? 2000?
My Nuln army painting log
And the generals gave thanks. As the other ranks, held back the enemy tanks! For a while. -Pink Floyd

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 11:11:08 PM »
Great Work I liked very much  :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline Timothias

• Members
  • Iron Company of Nuln
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 11:14:19 PM »
That is 2400 points. I have many, many more figs to add to it - this is just my tourney army. There are quite stringent comp regulations where I play so this list is created to align with that.

Offline crazywolf

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 11:19:32 PM »
amazing force  :eusa_clap: i also like the Hobbit referance with the ogres

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 11:35:53 PM »
Hah, you have had an idea very similar to mine for the War Altar statue.  :icon_biggrin: Only with plastic wings instead of metal ones.

Cool army. I'm a bit wary about all-black colour schemes, as they can look boring, but yours looks great en masse.

Offline Hendrid

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 12:09:15 AM »
Very nice army you've got there. Black is difficult to do well, but yours do look the part. Well done

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2011, 04:26:16 PM »
Great looking army and I love your fluff.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2011, 05:24:19 PM »
Great looking army and I love your fluff.

Me too. :eusa_clap:
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline anvalous

• Members
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 06:27:01 PM »
Bloody fantastic!  Great job!

My only comment is that I generally like to see a bit more contrast on some models.  I think your characters and halberdiers show it off well but the ogres are a little flat.  Could be the photographs, too.  All in all, merely a preference and a minor one.  Your color scheme is bold enough to get someone to come look at your army on the table and your detail work is good enough to keep them there.

High five!

Offline Timothias

• Members
  • Iron Company of Nuln
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 07:55:31 PM »
Thanks heaps guys! I am very encouraged.

Fair comment anvalous, things like the ogres could get some highlights - the dark gritty scheme has got comments before and I have tried to make ornamental shields and banners a lot brighter to "draw people in" for painting judging at tournaments.

'Dark' happens to me my taste though, along with gritty realism so I try not to change too much. But yeah I agree, I could help my cause by adding some more highlights.

crazywolf - good catch on the hobbit reference!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 09:50:57 PM by Timothias »

Offline APhilmon

• Members
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 11:06:43 PM »
Awesome!  Those army colors were my next choice for an Empire army.  Now you have pretty much made it a concrete choice!  Those Ogres are top notch!  I am extremely jealous that you have them!  They fit in very well!

Offline Haus Krannest

• Members
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 11:23:32 PM »
Thanks for posting such great pics, with such a great read. I really enjoyed your work.
Cheers,
Mike C.

Haus Krannest
Gorak Bryngor
The Red Dwarf
The Fetid Herd

Offline judoonplatoon1

• Members
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 11:48:34 PM »
I enjoyed the background and was amused with the hobbit reference as well.
I'm a soul man

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 02:20:24 AM »
Great army!
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline McSheehy

• Members
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 02:57:50 PM »
Fantastic painting all around  :eusa_clap:
But what I think I enjoy the most are the 3 ogres named after the 3 trolls from The Hobbit:icon_lol:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
- Benjamin Franklin

Offline syrme

• Members
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 04:00:09 PM »
Great army - full of character and nicely painted