home

Author Topic: Detachments idea  (Read 3149 times)

Offline jaggedjimmyj

• Members
Detachments idea
« on: January 13, 2012, 12:41:01 PM »
I'd very much like to see detachment (if consisting of the same models as the parent unit), being able to join the parent unit. Once they do so, they can not 'disjoin', and are for the rest of the game considered part of the parent unit.

This would make detatchments a really handy tool I think.
Only trouble might be that most detachments would be of the same models as their parent unit, but I'd like it.

EDIT: I'm thinking your opponent would be awarded the pts for the detachment when it joins the parent unit.

So, what do you say? Good or bad idea? OP or useless?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 12:47:24 PM by jaggedjimmyj »
Archaon, The Everchosen, is one of two openly homosexual special characters in the world of warhammer. The other, of course, is Queek Headtaker.

Offline ctuchik

• Members
Re: Detachments idea
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 04:00:47 PM »
It's a cool idea, I'm not really sure what implications it would have.

In what situations would it be used in a real game?

Can you join a unit that is already in combat? Can the unit that gets's joined still move that turn?

Offline jaggedjimmyj

• Members
Re: Detachments idea
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 06:28:11 PM »
It's a cool idea, I'm not really sure what implications it would have.

In what situations would it be used in a real game?
Well it could either be used when you have a detachment about to die from ranged fire or summit. Join them to your parent and loose the pts, but you still have the models left.
Or you can use it if your parent is in combat to gain steadfast. Maybe the terrain on the table makes the detachment obsolete (you can't fit it in. Join the parent.
It's not widely or universally useful, but I think it'd be a neat trick to use at times.

Can you join a unit that is already in combat? Can the unit that gets's joined still move that turn?
yes, but models must be added to the rear.
As for movement, let's say no (not after a join, but the parent may move and then get joined). So you are better off moving the parent before joining the detachment to it.
Archaon, The Everchosen, is one of two openly homosexual special characters in the world of warhammer. The other, of course, is Queek Headtaker.