home

Author Topic: What literature are you reading?  (Read 86853 times)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: What literature are you reading?
« Reply #500 on: August 14, 2018, 10:00:16 PM »
I read it in high school as a project, but honestly I have trouble remember most of it and I usually have a very sharp memory when it comes to books.

I just read The Black Count by Tom Reiss. A fantastic book I couldn't put down. It's about General Alexandre Dumas, the father of the famous writer. You can clearly see where his son got inspiration from when it came to writing the Three Musketeers or Count of Monte Christo. What his characters do, his father and friends lived.

It follows General Dumas, who was a mixed race man in a world that was not very kind to people like that, from the island that will become Haiti, to living in Paris as a nobleman. He joins the army just before the revolution, then switches to the revolutionaries. He becomes a war hero and famous through Europe for his feats of strength and bravery. Even when Napoleon takes over he remains a die hard republican, and if there's one thing to take from the book, it's that you should NEVER piss off Napoleon. It wont turn out well for you.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #501 on: August 15, 2018, 02:16:08 AM »
I'm nearly halfway through War and Peace. Its good, but long.

You should be lauded for getting that far. Tried, couldn’t do it. I recommend the 21 minute soundscape ‘The Gates of Delerium’   from Yes - Relayer album. It is my altime favorite piece of music based loosely on the book war and peace. I hated it the first time I listened as it has a lot to digest but when you figure out the paths, it can bring tears to the eyes. (And not tears of pain hopefully). Actually my second favorite song camefrom the b side - Sound Chaser - which does exactly what the name says. 😸

I read it in high school as a project, but honestly I have trouble remember most of it and I usually have a very sharp memory when it comes to books.

If a typical novel was to an hour and a half movie, War and Peace would be to a 10 season series from HBO, with each episode being an hour a piece, with 10 episodes a season.  Its gripping and interesting with a bunch of colorful characters.  Arguably there are 4 main characters: Pierre (the intellectual), Andrei (the noble), Nikolay (the hussar), and Natasha (the wild one) with many fun supporting characters and ancillary ones.  All go through interesting turmoils both societal and emotional during Napoleonic era Russia.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #502 on: August 15, 2018, 10:17:21 AM »
Brief Cases.  Jim Butcher's second short story collection in the Dresden Files.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #503 on: August 17, 2018, 01:34:33 AM »
Oh man I finished Brief Cases last week shortly before The Black Count I mentioned. Really loved Dresden, and I thought it was very interesting reading some stories from other POV's.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #504 on: August 17, 2018, 10:04:52 AM »
Oh man I finished Brief Cases last week shortly before The Black Count I mentioned. Really loved Dresden, and I thought it was very interesting reading some stories from other POV's.

It's nice having old Dresden back, prior to Changes.  It just hasn't been the same series since then.  Hopefully Butcher gets the magic back.

not together.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #505 on: August 17, 2018, 02:07:24 PM »
It certainly has been a very different series. I for one really enjoyed Skin Game, but at the same time we're seeing a very different Dresden in it.

I actually really enjoyed the Marcone short story in Brief Cases. It showed a very interesting side of him and his crew, as well as just how dangerous he is.

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #506 on: August 19, 2018, 05:18:49 PM »
Finished:

The Guns at Last Light by Rick Atkinson.  The last book of the Liberation Trilogy (WWII in Europe).  This series has taken me roughly a year to assemble and read all the books, but was well worth it.

Washington's Spies by Alexander Rose.  Last fall I watched the series Turn on Netflicks.  I had thought I had read this book before, but I had it confused with a novel which covered similar ground.  Naturally the tv series had little to do with the actual history covered in the book, but both were fun.
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #507 on: August 22, 2018, 10:05:19 AM »
I actually really enjoyed the Marcone short story in Brief Cases. It showed a very interesting side of him and his crew, as well as just how dangerous he is.

It was pretty awesome seeing that side.  I'm liking all of them.  I'm on Cold Case right now in the book.  This does make me look forward to Peace Talks more.

not together.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #508 on: September 05, 2018, 02:44:54 PM »
I picked up about a dozen random assortment Black Library books at the used book store.  Reading Heldenhammer now, but don't have the other 2 in the trilogy.  I've got a Warhammer literature shelf now in my study.  I feel like I have more interest in the novels now since WFB is dead and it's all I have left...

not together.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #509 on: September 05, 2018, 03:14:47 PM »
Finished Emperor of Thorns. The writer said he wanted to finish, as he felt the story was told. But I think there are more stories to be told in that space from slightly earlier times with different characters. Was a cool setting.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #510 on: September 09, 2018, 07:00:42 PM »
Finished:

Three Hands in the Fountain by Lindsay Davis.  This book is one of the many Marcus Didius Falco mystery series which I have been reading for the last 20 yrs or so.  This one was published in 1996 and I'm old enough that I could have read it before and not remember.  I have endless books to re-discover.   :roll:

Dragon Teeth by Micheal Crichton.  This is an unpublished book, dredged up and published after the author's death like Pirate Latitudes. Its not a great story, but interested me in the Bone Wars between early paleontologists Othniel Charles Marsh and Edward Drinker Cope.

The Sinners by Ace Atkins.  The newest in Atkins' Ranger series.  The formula of country sheriff defeats new wave of bad guys while his love life gets more complicated is getting a bit old.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #511 on: September 10, 2018, 01:37:07 AM »
After having completed "Talarvera: Wellington's Early Pennisula Victories 1808-9, I have started Shenandoah 1862: Stonewall Jackson's Valley Campaign.  The former was excellent.  The latter is starting off with lot's of detail.

It is fascinating to see the early mistakes  Jackson made in the Valley.  It seems he learned and kept moving forward with vigor.  More to read, and I like how this book covers the history with what seems to be good Union perspective as well.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #512 on: September 11, 2018, 09:22:46 AM »
I'm reading some Necromunda novels from GW/Forge World. Rather enjoying!
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #513 on: September 11, 2018, 10:10:27 AM »
I guess it's literature...

Picked up some WFRPG supplements (Ashes of Middenheim and Spires of Altdorf).  I really enjoy reading through to get a deeper look into the Warhammer fluff.  I found where Xathrodox got his name from, too.  Paging the Inquisition... :unsure: ::heretic::

not together.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #514 on: September 19, 2018, 10:58:01 AM »
I guess it's literature...

Picked up some WFRPG supplements (Ashes of Middenheim and Spires of Altdorf).  I really enjoy reading through to get a deeper look into the Warhammer fluff.  I found where Xathrodox got his name from, too.  Paging the Inquisition... :unsure: ::heretic::

My axe is ready. Bring them on.

On a more serious note - both of these supplements are really solid. They're having a lot of "meat" inside of them.

I'm currently listening to "Crusade and other stories" from the 40K universe. Some really mixed feelings about this one. A couple of stories are good, but a couple others are complete and utter garbage.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #515 on: September 22, 2018, 10:15:55 AM »
Currently? Rogue Hereoes by Ben Macintyre, it covers the early history of the SAS.
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #516 on: September 23, 2018, 02:02:36 PM »
A few more:
Callis and Toll: The Silver Shard - AoS - witchhunters
The Horusian  Wars: Incarnation - Inquisiton.
Slaves to Darkness : Iron Hands
The Tainted Heart - AoS - witchunters and bad luck
the Watchers of the Throne - 40k
Of honour and Iron - 40k
The prisoners of the black sun, the sands of blood,the Lords of Helstone, the bridge of seven sorrows - AoS shorts
Reaper Man - terry pratchett - fun book - best idea : all life wether long or short lives is the same length when viewed from eternity.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #517 on: September 29, 2018, 01:43:03 PM »
For whatever reason, I often get Mort and Reaper man mixed up. Mort is ofcorse one of the earlier books and Reaper man is the one where Death is replaced and has to take a job as a farm hand under the moniker of Bill Skye. I remember laughing at the bit where the wizards were trying to bury whats-his-name at the crossroads but had blocked up all the traffic and Sam Vimes had a few things to say about it.

I've only just started Heart of chaos; the last book in the slaves to darkness trilogy. So far they've been the best fantasy battles novels I've ever read

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #518 on: September 29, 2018, 03:51:10 PM »
Reaperman is indeed the firing of death. Very fun. I’m now reading Feet of Clay. Just getting into it. Love how the dwarves use their bread as weapons.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #519 on: September 29, 2018, 06:10:08 PM »
I think I must have missed Reaperman.  Must rectify this.

Finished:
When Cortes met Montezuma by Matthew Restall.  Interesting if kind of frustrating to follow.  A revisionist look at the famous meeting and the Cortes legend.

Bad Optics by Joseph Heywood.  The latest in the Woodscop series.  I have been reading these off and on for 16 years.  The series follows a Michigan game warden through some adventures that are routine and some that are a bit out there.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 08:24:50 PM by Von Kurst »

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #520 on: September 30, 2018, 02:52:23 PM »
What can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the reaper man?

I liked Reaper Man. It's a great little story about duty, and still somehow there's snowglobes and shopping malls involved. Feet of Clay is also great. It was the very first Terry Pratchett I ever read, and I can still remember finding it by accident in the old paper back section of the library. Pushed to some back corner to make room for all the new paper backs.

just finished two books by the same author. Elephant Whisperer and Babylon's Ark by Lawrence Anthony. Both true stories. He's a pretty famous conservationist in South Africa who runs a pretty big wildlife preserve. In the Elephant one he takes in a problem herd of Elephants on short notice, otherwise their going to be killed, and he needs to reintegrate them into the wild and above all, get them to stop escaping on rampages. Along the way he has to deal with a mini civil war in Zululand, actual assassination attempts, poachers using heavy weaponry, and some very angry elephants. It was a pretty amazing book. Uplifting to see someone working with elephants (Which have always been some of my favorite creatures) but also pretty heart breaking at parts. Spoilers, but the circle of life is harsh and some of the animals you really get to know don't make it.

Babylon's Ark continues his personal crusade to help animals. It takes place in the opening days of the invasion of Iraq. The author/conservationist see's footage of how the war has devastated the Baghdad Zoo, once the largest most impressive zoo in the middle east. He pretty much immediately drops everything he's doing and travels to Iraq. The dude must have some serious connections, because he's meeting with ambassadors like their old friends and gets a pass to be one of the first non-military westerners into occupied Baghdad. Once in he starts working with the devastated zoo to try and safe the animals, and it was a hugely unpleasant under taking. Not only are they dealing with unexploded ordinance littering the ground, but literally every night loots descend on the place to strip whatever they just built or salvaged. It only cools down when some looters break into a bear cage to kill and eat the bear, and the bear rips them apart instead.

It keeps getting tougher to, because their desperate to find food for the few surviving animals, but the military keeps find private zoo's and herds that Saddam, his sons, and other powerful people kept in their estates. All the animals keep getting transported to the zoo and dumped on them, so that the military doesn't have to worry about it.

Both were fantastic books, highly recommend.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #521 on: October 08, 2018, 05:38:27 AM »
I'm nearly done with War and Peace (If I didn't get sick so much the past few months I would have finished in August).  It is Spooktober and I have a free credit on audible.  Any suggestions in the spirit of the month regarding classics?  Last year I read Dracula, Frankenstein, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and The Vampyre. I don't want to waste the credit on anything short that I can just listen to while at work in a couple of hours.  Are there any classics I am missing?  I tried to do some googling but many lists have stuff I already read (Young Goodman Brown, Macbeth) or something I am just not interested in (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde) but I am pretty sure there's a spooky scary classical novel in my blind spot and I welcome any suggestions.
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #522 on: October 08, 2018, 06:27:45 AM »
Edgar Allen Poe? Though I’m not sure if there’s anything in the length your looking for.
The haunting of hill house - I remember this from my mom telling me about the book. I have not read this.
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - again I have not read it but it sure is a classic
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #523 on: October 09, 2018, 02:20:56 AM »
I've read some of Poe (The Raven, Cask of Amontillado, The Tell-Tale Heart, and The Fall of the House of Usher) and I may take it upon myself to read a few more this Spooktober but its not enough to justify a credit.

The Haunting of Hill House: I've never really been into ghost centered stories.  Is it worth a look?  It looks like Netflix is also doing an adaptation of it.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is a great story and super short. I've already hit that one.  :-D

I am wondering if I've already hit all of the classics. If so, my mission is complete and I can pick something a bit more modern.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #524 on: October 09, 2018, 11:47:40 AM »
I cant put down Heart of chaos