home

Author Topic: What literature are you reading?  (Read 85743 times)

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
Re: What literature are you reading?
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 08:52:50 PM »
As history, Carrier's work is just a notch above the works of Michael Baignent or Robert Bauval e.a. Regarding the use of mathematical method: garbage in, garbage out.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what Richard Dawkins has to say about Stephen Unwin's attempts at proving the existence of god through the Bayesian Method.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 09:15:07 PM »
I knew I'd heard the garbage in, garbage out phrase uttered by an atheist before!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2016, 09:16:31 PM »
As history, Carrier's work is just a notch above the works of Michael Baignent or Robert Bauval e.a. Regarding the use of mathematical method: garbage in, garbage out.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what Richard Dawkins has to say about Stephen Unwin's attempts at proving the existence of god through the Bayesian Method.

And I would agree with him on this point. That said, Carrier's historical and linguistic analysis is as flawed as his mathematics.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2016, 09:17:54 PM »
So you've read Carrier, Fidelis?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2016, 09:41:05 PM »
I have read Carrier - not the book, but his blogs and various of his documents available on the internet like:

- So…if Jesus Didn’t Exist, Where Did He Come From?
- The New Testament: We Don’t Have What They Originally Had
- Bayes’ Theorem and the Modern Historian
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2016, 09:46:22 PM »
Interesting answer  :icon_wink:

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2016, 10:04:19 PM »
Well, I will never spend 35 USD on any book without checking first if it might be worth it. It is not.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2016, 10:10:34 PM »
I refer you to my previous answer.  :icon_wink:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2016, 05:02:36 AM »
Not unsurprisingly, more 40k. This round - Adeptus Mechanicus by Rob Sanders.
I'm liking the perspective from the Skitarii mindset.....kinda worries me a bit ....
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2016, 05:19:58 PM »
I've been reading through the Witcher novels again. At least this year there was a full translation of Tower of the Swallow but still having to use the fan one for Lady of the Lake. Since the death of proper Old World Warhammer I always get tempted when reading these that my Imperials will transition to Redanians and Temarians, though the unit of Blazing Sun Knights obviously become loathsome Nilfgaardians.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2016, 10:44:05 AM »

I've been reading through the Witcher novels again. At least this year there was a full translation of Tower of the Swallow but still having to use the fan one for Lady of the Lake. Since the death of proper Old World Warhammer I always get tempted when reading these that my Imperials will transition to Redanians and Temarians, though the unit of Blazing Sun Knights obviously become loathsome Nilfgaardians.

I missed the Witcher Saga altogether. After reading your post, I wiki'd it. Looks pretty cool with a lot of spin offs (gaming, video and movie)
The heraldry of the Nilfgaardians is a sure match for the Blazing Suns :)
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2016, 02:12:21 PM »
Oh wait, ya said "literature", never mind. :icon_wink: :icon_lol:
Ha! - I concede my 'World Engine' doesn't quite rank as literature :)
I was looking forward to your input though. Every time you mention your New England area, I think of HP Lovecraft.  I read everything that was published in my teens and still re- read some now and again. Mainly for the setting and the impression it left with me.
The word "literature" has an origin based in having letters forming words forming a book one is capable of learning from.  And if I recall, it's first known usage as a word was in the 14th century, which I find interesting because that puts its initial use being towards the end of the middle ages and moving towards the renaissance.  Some say literature needs to be writing of some sort of artistic or intellectual importance, yet like so much in life, I say such seems relative while changing over time.  My interpretation seems more liberal than some, yet more full as well.  Those that seek to constrict and control without a measure of moderation, in the moment understanding, and case by case awareness have been known to be confrontational with my view.  They tend to be folks ... well, never mind, not worth the whining I could see if more is said on this tangent ... lol.  So back to my view ... speech and language tend to be something that changes in meaning and structure over time, and if written words are a bi-product of spoken words, then it seems that changes over time of people's values, and as their efforts to communicate changes, so does the language and what is considered literature.  The wider view a person has as to what literature is, probably the more adaptable a person can be to the society as it changes, too.  Thus having a broad view of literature seems wise.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2016, 02:27:18 PM »
@gp - I like that interpretation- very inclusive and accepting 👍
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2016, 11:20:53 AM »
I've been re-reading the game of thrones series, but I have apparently lost part one of book three! Grrrrrr.  ::heretic::

Why couldn't I have lost book four instead?
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2016, 03:18:52 PM »
I'm reading book three now! It's actually not as much as a slog as book 1 and 2 were. Maybe because I haven't read t so often!
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2016, 10:30:00 PM »
Not unsurprisingly, more 40k. This round - Adeptus Mechanicus by Rob Sanders.
I'm liking the perspective from the Skitarii mindset.....kinda worries me a bit ....

You have just reminded me I bought those ad mech books am really looking forward to reading them

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2016, 03:45:43 AM »
I've been re-reading the game of thrones series, but I have apparently lost part one of book three! Grrrrrr.  ::heretic::

Why couldn't I have lost book four instead?

Book four actually started to grow on me my second time through. It's still not perfect by any means and still the weakest one out, but I liked it more the second time around.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2016, 04:25:20 AM »
Ive started reading:

1776 by David McCullough - really quite good! Interesting and not a dry history, nor long.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2016, 11:56:56 AM »
Book four actually started to grow on me my second time through. It's still not perfect by any means and still the weakest one out, but I liked it more the second time around.

It's probably not as annoying if you know in advance that nothing much is going to happen.

I wish I could find book 3 part one though. I bet someone borrowed it and hasn't returned it.  ::heretic::

Re-reading book 2, I was surprised by how different the tv series version of events was. It was quite different! The Qarth and Winterfell parts especially.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2016, 02:30:20 PM »
has anyone read City of Bones series? found the box set at a yard sale for $1.00
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2016, 03:23:43 PM »
@ rufus - Yep, agree. I have a mangled version in my head nowdays.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline CarolineWellwater

• Members
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2016, 12:39:36 AM »
(( I know they are young-adult novels, but I've been reading the short series by Rin Chupeco.  They're quick reads, and I don't have to spend days / weeks completing them. ))

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2016, 03:35:05 PM »
Just finished the 'Faithful Executioner' about a 16 th century executioner in the city of Nuremberg.  True story of Franze Schmidt list of executions and his reclamation of his fathers and his family honour. 
Good book only a bit repetitive but it gives an excellent look at the 15th to 18th century hate and need for an execution man
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2016, 12:07:00 AM »
I finished 1776 and quite enjoyed it. Interesting and humanizing look at a very iconic year, and examination of leaders and their choices on both sides.

It, and the popularity of the hit Broadway musical, convinced me to pick up the 700+ page biography on Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow. It's a hefty tome, but the first chapters have me hooked so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Alexander-Hamilton-Ron-Chernow/dp/0143034758

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2016, 03:27:42 AM »
Conn igguldan's ghengis khan series. Midway through book two.

Finished book 3. Ordered 4 & 5 from book depository on the weekend. Will be reading the forum on public transport now until they arrive.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.