home

Author Topic: When are your WFB games set?  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: When are your WFB games set?
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2021, 09:31:25 PM »
Cool, and to clarify did that come from the 3rd edition rules book for WFB?

So far here is what we have ...

1st edition ...
2nd edition ...
3rd edition ... 2512
4th edition ...
5th edition ...
6th edition ... 2520
7th edition ... 2522
8th edition ... 2522

Any more on this, I would be keen to see it complete..   :)

The 4th ed army book has the last date entry for 2502 when Karl Franz became the emperor (p. 11). Thyrus Gormann is the Supreme Patriarch (p. 71). I would say that the 4th ed continues right from where the 3rd stopped, so 2512 or a little bit later.

Empire didn't get a new army book for the 5th ed, so the 4th ed lore stayed current until the 6th ed.

Some White Dwarfs might have had something more, although the scenarios tended to be quite vague about the time.

1st ed didn't have a setting really, and the 2nd ed setting started to form after the initial books. I'd say the Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying, published in 1986, created the Old World setting. In one interview Rick Priestley said he thought it out, so he/GW was providing info for the WFR production team before 1986. Probably 1985 the latest. From there, the setting was then presented as the Warhammer setting in the 3rd ed WFB.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2021, 10:34:46 AM »
Entirely at random, as browsing Facebook, I found this post by Garrett Sheehan, which seems of relevance to some of the discussion here ...

... both nations [Empire & Bretonnian] were mentioned in 2nd Ed scenarios like the Lichemaster ones and Blood on the Streets. But the first proper descriptions of old world states was in the 1st ed WFRP core book, in late 86, and the following Enemy Within campaign fleshed out the Empire in detail.
Actual WFB lists for the Empire and Brets (already very different from the description in the WFRP book just over a year earlier) appeared in the 3rd ed armies book in `88.
I guess the first specifically names Empire and Bret miniatures appeared around then, though the earlier fighters were often assigned names indicating that they were from the Empire; Nuln spearman, Altdorf captain etc.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline FVC

• Members
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2021, 10:46:24 AM »
Any more on this, I would be keen to see it complete..   :)

4th edition WHFB was probably building on the foundation of the already-published WFRP1e.

The WFRP1e core rulebook gives the present date as 2500 IC (p. 269), and says that the currently reigning emperor is 'Karl-Franz I' (p. 284). The Enemy Within (1986) has a more detailed introduction to the Empire and timeline, and it says that Karl-Franz was elected to the throne in 2502 (p. 12), and though it doesn't give the current date, it seems to take the view that Karl-Franz is a young, inexperienced emperor. It does say that Karl-Franz is currently 35 years old (p. 14).

Later sources give us an approximate date of birth for Karl Franz. For instance, Warhammer Armies: The Empire (2011; 8th edition) indicates that he was an infant in 2470 when he and his father were rescued by Wood Elves. If we assume that Karl Franz was born around 2469-2470, that would suggest that WFRP1e is set around 2504-2505. So perhaps we should take the '2500' in the core book as being a mere approximation.

In practice, for me, I tend to take something around 2515-2520 as 'the present', or as the best launching point for Warhammer Fantasy stories. From there you can easily launch into either the Storm of Chaos (canonically 2522) or the End Times (2522-2528), though most of the time I daresay you wouldn't want to.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2021, 10:53:37 AM »
Updating ...

1st edition ... no year given
2nd edition ... no year given
WFRP1 ... 2500
The Enemy Within ... 2502
3rd edition ... 2512
4th edition ...
5th edition ...
6th edition ... 2520
7th edition ... 2522
8th edition ... 2522
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2021, 05:19:45 PM »
If I recall correctly WFRP 2nd & 3rd editions are set post storm on chaos. So 2522?
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2021, 07:00:49 PM »
If I recall correctly WFRP 2nd & 3rd editions are set post storm on chaos. So 2522?

WHFRP 2 is indeed post Storm of Chaos, not certain on 3rd as that was the terrible board game sort of hybrid that was not well liked.

WHFRP 4th is roughly set in 2511 allowing wiggle room on details between the old setting time and the more current WHFB. In fact there are numerous notes in the current run for folks trying to wed the various timelines and source materials together, the newest Power Behind the Throne even has notes on, provided the adventuring party's success, the future career of Graf Boris and his feud with Khazrak over the course of the 2510's.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2021, 08:22:44 PM »
Was there a year for Storm of Chaos?

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2021, 08:46:44 PM »
From Sigmar's Heirs. p. 22: 
2521 – 2522: United by the Lord of the End Times, Archaon, marauders from the Chaos Wastes pour southwards in ever greater numbers. Luthor  Huss discovers the youth Valten and claims he is Sigmar Reborn. Emperor Karl Franz convenes the Conclave of Light to discuss the growing threat from the north. Dubbed the Storm of Chaos, the northmen invasion sweeps through Kislev and into the Empire. Huss and Valten meet Karl Franz. The Emperor gifts Valten with Ghal-maraz and dubs him the Champion of Sigmar, but retains rule of the Empire. Archaon is intent on defiling the Flame of Ulric in Middenheim. The combined forces of Middenland, Ostland, and Hochland slow the attack. A force led by Karl Franz containing Teclis and Valten drives the remnants of Archaon’s force from Middenheim. Valten is grievously wounded in the fighting. After the defeat of the Chaos horde, the Empire is riven by a religious schism. Valten is initially found murdered in the Temple of Shallya, but his body disappears. It is claimed that he will return again when he is needed.
2522: The present day.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2021, 09:40:01 PM »
Lot's of good info there, thank you! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Updating ...

1st edition ... no year given
2nd edition ... no year given
WFRP1 ... 2500
The Enemy Within ... 2502
WFRP4 ... 2511
3rd edition ... 2512
4th edition ...
5th edition ...
6th edition ... 2520
WFRP2 ... 2522
7th edition ... 2522
8th edition ... 2522
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 01:08:33 AM by GamesPoet »

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2021, 10:18:30 PM »
In the 4th edition Empire AB the last date given in the chronology was 2502, the ascension of KF to the throne. In the general fluff, Thyrus Gorman was still the Supreme Patriarch. Unfortunately, we cannot use this as a terminus ante quo, since there is no clear date when Balthasar Gelt took over the position.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)