home

Author Topic: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Love is in the Air  (Read 55205 times)

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch - Corporal Cecil Wormsborough St. John Nobbs
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2016, 04:40:13 PM »
As before I had two versions of this character. They were both based on the same original figure so like Visit above I didn’t have to destroy the unused one in the rebuild and modification process.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:01:09 PM by JAK »

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Sergeant Frederick Colon
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2016, 02:07:18 PM »
I wasn’t happy with either of the two original figures so it was out with the razor saw to combine the best bits of both.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:01:57 PM by JAK »

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Frederick Colon
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2016, 03:39:52 AM »
"Freddy Colon produced two signal padels and began a routine which implied he was a man playing table tenis with himself" [i think thats the quote from 'Fifth elephant'

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Frederick Colon
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2016, 11:13:56 AM »
"Freddy Colon produced two signal padels and began a routine which implied he was a man playing table tenis with himself" [i think thats the quote from 'Fifth elephant'

From the semaphore period which I don’t think has been superseded by anything else. I hadn’t been intending to include any paddles in my models – perhaps I should as I intend there to be a pigeon or two (depending on how the GS work goes – they’re not as easy to make as cabbages)

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Sergeant Cheery Littlebottom
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2016, 10:46:04 AM »
Again I had two original versions of Cheery, and while the top left one is still how I view her when reading the books the figure doesn’t quite fit with the rest of the unit so I made a fresh started with a new model.

Hopefully there will eventually be a pigeon (or two) but my skills aren’t good enough yet.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:02:41 PM by JAK »

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Cheery Littlebottom
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2016, 03:29:57 PM »
pigeons would be nice, but until skills develop, how about a box of tissues and some white pigeon splats/droppings?  love the look of all the new creative interpretations. it is obvious that you truly enjoyed creating the new Cheery.  thanks again for sharing.  steveb

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Cheery Littlebottom
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2016, 04:40:00 AM »
There's a Tamiya 1:35th German tank crew 'at rest' kit which contains two birds. They could easily be turned into pigeons

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Special Constable Sir Josiah H boggis
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2017, 07:36:26 PM »
It’s no wonder I never get anything finished, I keep getting distracted. A local GW store has started a small army painting competition (leader, couple of units, etc.) to run over the next few months – the first item to be the leader.

Having already entered Vimes in a previous competition I needed someone new who could at least look like a leader. This fell to Mr Boggis, president of the Thieves’ Guild who has served as a Special in the City Watch.

Having already obtained the free Slaughterpriest from the relaunched White Dwarf to be his second Minder the search for a suitable base to sculpt him on started with these as my initial thoughts.

Eventually three figures (2 elves and a Juve) donated bits to make the base figure.

On to this a bit of GS.

And then some paint.

The first minder Vinny 'No Ears' Ludd converted from the slaughterpriest.

The second minder Harry 'Can't Remember His Nickname' Jones based on an iconic GW figure (so iconic that the shop manager had never heard of him – don’t they train their staff any more or is it that with AoS all past versions of fantasy must be erased from memory)

The three together.

They didn’t get placed in the competition but then again they don’t really fit into the look of GW games.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:05:39 PM by JAK »

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Sir Josiah H Boggis
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2017, 08:01:08 PM »
Beautiful minis, though it hurts to see a classic Thrud getting converted... the mental leap you made from those components to the finished Sir Josiah is amazing!

As for GW employees, I doubt that is a post AoS phenomenon... :(

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2017, 08:12:19 PM »
Excellent! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2017, 09:08:56 PM »
'Meatabix' ! 😸
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2017, 07:57:36 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

Sorry about Thrud – they’ve been trying to get rid of him for years but as the only real offer was a couple of quid from someone who said he was mega-rare, he’s been in the bits box for too long. At least he’ll see the light of day now – and he’s not had much of a conversion.

Meatabix – from the 'iconic' cartoon series?

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2017, 05:07:23 PM »
Sometimes it has to be done, I've been guilty of similar conversion crimes I expect ;)

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Constable Hacknee
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2017, 09:09:22 PM »
The next entry for the GW store comp. is a unit so as its ‘February is the shortest month:’ you’re going to have to suffer a few dwarfs over the next few days.

There are quite a lot of dwarfs in the City Watch, some just get mentioned by name, but others have a minor incident in the story which allows a little bit extra to be added to the model.

There will be a mixture of old and new figures with some conversion work and all will have a new paint job.
Todays’ figure is one of those who just gets a mention.

An old figure given a new spear and a repaint.

Constable Hacknee

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:07:17 PM by JAK »

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Lance-Constable Hrolf Pyjama
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2017, 08:18:26 PM »
This City Watch unit was started in the days of true WFB (square bases and ranks) where it was intended with a few ‘house rules’ that alternate rows of dwarf and humans would allow the front two ranks to partake in attacks either with spears in combat or missile fire, humans firing crossbows over dwarf heads. With AoS the use of slightly larger round bases and the movement/display trays (described before) has allowed greater freedom in converting and stance (not having to rank up) so I’ve gone back to modelling each individual character rather than dovetailing together a group of battle ready troops. I can’t remember the last time I actually played a game so it will just be a display army when it’s finished anyway.

I didn’t have access to a camera when I started these builds so where there is a WiP photo their boots will have been painted prior to putting on the base.

Next up is Pyjama who again is only mentioned by name. A simple repaint after being given a new spear made of thicker plastic coated wire than that used in the unit shown in Konrad’s Spearman Conversions thread. I see Hacknee was on the front row of that unit, I don’t remember removing his lunch though.

Lance-Constable Hrolf Pyjama

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:08:50 PM by JAK »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Dwarfs
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2017, 04:53:59 AM »
As usual i love seeing your work Jak.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army)- Lance-Constable Lars Skulldrinker
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2017, 07:42:00 AM »
All Discworld dwarfs have beards which is perfectly alright while at work but can cause confusion or even embarrassment at other times. Lars Skulldrinker was one of the first dwarfs to come out of the closet and acknowledge that she was in fact female.

Lars is a new model and has already acquired a pair of high-heeled hobnailed boots. She is currently trying out a new lipstick given to her by Cheery Littlebottom.

Lance-Constable Lars Skulldrinker

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:10:09 PM by JAK »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Lance-Constable Lars Skulldrinker
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2017, 04:35:12 PM »
Love how these pics go from non life to full blown life. Really pops.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Lance-Constable Lars Skulldrinker
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2017, 05:03:47 PM »
Now there's a lady!  :eusa_clap:

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Sergeant Hammer-of-Gold
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2017, 07:43:50 PM »
A special figure for today who is said to have an understanding with Cheery Littlebottom. I hope that those of you in a similar situation also remembered the flowers and chocs. :icon_biggrin:

A new figure with some GS work.

Sergeant Hammer-of-Gold

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:11:17 PM by JAK »

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2017, 07:47:34 PM »
 :::cheers::: great job as always, thanks for sharing.  steveb

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2017, 08:15:32 PM »
Never been a fan of GW dwarfs, but you make them look great! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Constable Hrolf Thighbiter
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2017, 07:41:08 PM »
When Littlebottom came out, Thighbiter was the first to show any interest in her. As her current beau is Hammer-of-Gold his attentions have gone unrequited hence the stamped on box of chocolates and discarded flowers. He comes from Llamedos, its roundworld equivalent is famous for this type of flower.

A new figure and GS work.

Constable Hrolf Thighbiter

(Looking at photo seems I forgot to do the petals on the flowers – will redo when the unit returns from the GW store.)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:12:36 PM by JAK »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Constable Hrolf Thighbiter
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2017, 09:43:12 PM »
Omg! The reality of a former life in model form. I can relate to that dwarf 😺
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) Constable Fittly
« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2017, 07:24:13 PM »
Fittly’s first mistake was trying to trick a vampire into eating a garlic bulb. His second mistake was not realising she knew and unknown to him had exchanged the real items with ones carved from a turnip, which not only could she safely eat but had also spiked his with chilli seeds which made him rather ill.

New figure with GS garlic bulbs.

Constable Fittly

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:13:16 PM by JAK »