home

Author Topic: Hammerhall Freeguild  (Read 6539 times)

Offline Iyen

• Members
Hammerhall Freeguild
« on: August 17, 2017, 05:31:28 PM »
Rejoice!

The Age Of Sigmar page just posted the newest season in the campaign, as well as some "new" boxed sets which surprisingly included our first official freeguild (well mostly freeguild) army from the Age of Sigmar's firestorm campaign, good to know we haven't been abandonned  :biggriin: .

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/08/17/the-season-of-war-continues-in-firestorm-aug17gw-homepage-post-2/

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:37:17 PM by Iyen »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Hammerhall Freeguild
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 05:33:41 PM »
Who's that guy with the hammer?
I want him NOW!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Iyen

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 05:39:21 PM »
Who's that guy with the hammer?
I want him NOW!

I believed he's a freeguild general, can't wait to see these in the store as well.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 09:11:16 PM »
I believe Mr Great Hammer and the general on horse are from the plastic generals of the empire kit. It was a good kit that could make a guy on foot and guy on horse, with lots of good options.

I like the set, and nice to see Freeguild making an appearance.

Offline TheMerchantPrince

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
That symbol on the banner is certainly interesting as well. Maybe it's a decal?  :happy: The other boxes have new iconography on the banners too.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 12:10:36 AM »
I believe Mr Great Hammer and the general on horse are from the plastic generals of the empire kit. It was a good kit that could make a guy on foot and guy on horse, with lots of good options.
Yep.

I like the set, and nice to see Freeguild making an appearance.
Unfortunately it has the stormcrud troopers.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 08:14:25 PM »
Turn them into statues GP! Or maybe evil, corrupted statues!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 11:48:33 PM »
So no new models then.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 12:16:05 AM »
Turn them into statues GP! Or maybe evil, corrupted statues!
:icon_lol:

I could sell them to some other bloke.  I took a second look at the contents, and have enough of all, except the general kit.  Bah, not worth the purchase price at this point.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:00:04 AM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Iyen

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 04:37:12 PM »

Give them free guild, or historical heads for me it made them slightly more bearable.

If I recall correctly, they also posted an upcoming Collegiate arcane box, nothing new just a repack of 4 wizards.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 05:02:35 PM »
This one.  yes, it's a re-pack, with a bit of a discount.  And it's out already.

Offline Iyen

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 06:58:44 PM »
This one.  yes, it's a re-pack, with a bit of a discount.  And it's out already.

ah! many thanks, it's nothing new but getting repacks is at least better than being forgotten I hope we get more in the future.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2017, 03:01:03 AM »
Give them free guild, or historical heads for me it made them slightly more bearable.
Ha! :icon_lol:

Offline TheMerchantPrince

• Members
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 08:02:55 AM »

If I recall correctly, they also posted an upcoming Collegiate arcane box, nothing new just a repack of 4 wizards.

Dunno why everyone wants to replace the heads. I think they work fine with the overall aesthetic of them. In a way, they remind me of one of the statues from the now discontinued chapel kit. If anything they just need more traditional iconography; less straight lines and clean angles and zigzagged lightning icons and more flaming comets, suns and moons.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2017, 02:44:47 PM »
Great point about the chapel statue!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Iyen

• Members
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2017, 05:00:26 AM »

Dunno why everyone wants to replace the heads. I think they work fine with the overall aesthetic of them. In a way, they remind me of one of the statues from the now discontinued chapel kit. If anything they just need more traditional iconography; less straight lines and clean angles and zigzagged lightning icons and more flaming comets, suns and moons.

Imo I would be fine with it... if it was used by only 1 hero, not by an entire army. Imagine if they replaced all the hats, and helmets of the freeguild troopers with Karl Franz Beaked helm?

Next similar to my reason above there is little to no variety in their helmet design save for the skull, Hair, and horned variants, like I said earlier okay for a hero but it looks boring if I put it on my entire army.

Another reason why I dislike it is that (unfortunately I think this is the new theme for AOS) they don't use open face helmets, and use Human like metal faces instead. To which for me it looks creepy, and reminds me of one of those Gallic, or Renaissance helmets that have "face plates" which I dislike too.

Next, just a very small complaint. but I have seen the Images and art, the helmet just looks too impractical having 2 looking slots slightly elevated from the eyes limiting the soldiers vision to onpy what's infront of him, the only way I could see this work is if the helmet could flip open, but that isn't the case. Like I said earlier it wouldn't be too noticeable if only 1 guy was using this instead of an entire army.

Lastly it's hard for me not to think of them as space-marine ripoffs if their helmets paired with the armor look exactly like sanguinary guards.

The above reasons are mostly just personal but I doubt I'm the only one who dislikes the helmet for what I stated above.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 05:39:56 AM by Iyen »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2017, 11:52:55 AM »
The space marine look works great for 40K, but it takes away from the Old World feeling of Warhammer.

I'm still playing in my imagination with the Old World feel, and the heck with the stormcrud troopers.

Offline Iyen

• Members
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2017, 05:22:26 PM »
The space marine look works great for 40K, but it takes away from the Old World feeling of Warhammer.

I'm still playing in my imagination with the Old World feel, and the heck with the stormcrud troopers.

I think the word we're looking for is "dehumanized"

I made a short Comparison on paint which is what i'd like to add to why I disliked their helmets. Sorry for the bad quality, I had to make them all equal to the smallest image.

"Golden Golemns" don't exactly scream hero or saviour to me, no matter how much angel wings you strap on them. I understand they are supposed to be more human in the lore than space marines but... save for their officers, and special heroes (like the upcoming tallon girl something) who all have the "Angry" expression you don't see that, there's no Emotion in these soldiers (unless you read up) is all I'm trying to say and most of this is because of their helmets.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:17:42 PM by Iyen »

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2017, 06:10:25 PM »
See that's part of the appeal for me. Their suppose to be the saviors of humanity, but are forced to give up that very humanity in their reforging in order to have the strength to do that. I'm not a huge fan of the helmets, but for my small collection I've replaced about half with normal human heads. Although I think there's fluff that the stormcasts are made from more then just human heroes.

Offline Iyen

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 06:24:25 PM »
See that's part of the appeal for me. Their suppose to be the saviors of humanity, but are forced to give up that very humanity in their reforging in order to have the strength to do that. I'm not a huge fan of the helmets, but for my small collection I've replaced about half with normal human heads. Although I think there's fluff that the stormcasts are made from more then just human heroes.

If I recall correctly unless they are reforged multiple times that's the only time when they become inhuman, partly because of nagash. They can cry, laugh, fear just like anyone else, that's what sets them apart from the Space marines (and what Games Workshop is currently trying to portray them as, "Human Space Marines"), and sadly none of their art, or aesthetics seems to portray it. It's a type of "Snowflake" characteristic IMO that could fit a few characters, but not everyone on the board.

"One group are so far removed from humanity as to be utterly alien. The other group are so human it causes them pain. One group feels little in the way of emotion, the other group feels emotion as strongly as they did before death. One group hates and fears the alien. The other group allies regularly with space-lizards, skeletors and green monster-men. One group is the personification of the grim future in which they live. The other is a thing born of hope." -Josh Reynolds from the Black Library on the difference between stormcasts and space marines

I can post a dwarf, an Elf, a Lizardman, and a Skink show more emotion in one picture than any of the stormcasts in the entirety of their artworks they don't have to be human.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 06:59:34 PM by Iyen »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 01:22:54 AM »
Uh boy, the idea they need differentiate between the storm crud troopers and the space marines adds to their lameness for me.

Bah, the storm crud troopers aren't free guild anyway.

It'll be interesting, although no guarantee of coolness I suppose, when new Free Guild miniatures are released.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 02:15:04 AM »
@GP - I saw on the back of an RV the other day 'not all who wander are lost' and I had to laugh quietly to myself.
On another note, I personally like the storm cast cruds (that is kinda funny). I like the models, especially the cavalry and the whole idea around them. I hear comparisons to space marines but Ive read pretty much most of the books/fluff and I just don't feel a link. For sure modelwise but not otherwise.  But that's just me 😸When I read about them, I make no comparison because they are not space marines at all so I don't link the two.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Iyen

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 03:27:10 AM »
Bah, the storm crud troopers aren't free guild anyway.

when new Free Guild miniatures are released.

Still waiting that day will hopefully come.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 02:54:34 PM by Iyen »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2017, 08:43:34 AM »
The only disappointing part about that is then the old ones will become OoP.