home

Author Topic: Comprehensive Empire Map  (Read 9006 times)

Offline Ernst Brauer

• Members
  • Yorktown, Virginia - USA
Comprehensive Empire Map
« on: January 17, 2013, 02:48:48 PM »
Long time, no post.  :smile2:

I've created a Layered Empire map PDF for my WFRP campaign and I thought to myself, "Who better to share this with than the folks at WH-Empire."

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?pl7b2cue3afvwud

Make sure you know how to navigate LAYERS in a PDF as it is critical for viewing this. You'll find it cluttered otherwise...

EDIT: Looking at it directly from Mediafire, you won't see much. You have to download it and open it in Acrobat Reader to be ble to turn on/off the layers. This is IMPORTANT.

If anyone has any questions about it or comments, let me know!

As far as the whole of the map goes, I took from as MANY official sources as I could. As we all know, the mapping has been inconsistent over the years, but this is a pretty darn close representation. I also added some of my own creation stuff in there.

Lastly, I was thinking of maybe seeing if anyone would be interested in perhaps expanding the map to house all of our regular members' own places on the map. Would anyone be interested in me doing this?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:51:39 PM by Ernst Brauer »

Offline Ernst Brauer

• Members
Re: Comprehensive Empire Map
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 03:22:37 PM »
Mods, would this be better served in a general forum? Can we move it over to the Elector's Forum?

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 06:25:41 PM »
Quite the effort sir, a few thoughts though:

Bergsburg: Now I know some fine folks made an unofficial WHFRP adventure but I don't think the town was recognized in any official capacity. I mean I may be wrong but Hergig is used as the provincial capital in The Enemy Within.

Battle of Soland's  Crown: You have it on there twice once in by Pfieldorf, the most sensible place, as well as the daft River Aver crossing one GW has tried to suggest in the previous Army Book.

Again great job.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline Ernst Brauer

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:00:14 PM »
Thanks S.O.F., That's exactly the feedback I'm looking for!

I will say that it's not all totally official, hence Bergsberg. This is a culmination of Official sources, stuff I made for my campaign or WFB armies, and some unofficial things I found interesting.

I'll have to correct the Battle for Solland's crown!

Offline Gorgash Redfang

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Ostermark "Themed" Army
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 04:19:53 AM »
Thanks....will give opinion after a long look  :eusa_clap:

EDIT: I found it to be very usefull, but hey I am easily pleased  :icon_rolleyes:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 11:49:41 AM by Gorgash Redfang »
Then make three times that. It should be enough for half the roof Glue
You could certainly amass quite a collection of testicles

Offline Hieronymus

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 09:04:27 AM »
Have you not seen Gitzman's map? It's of the entire Warhammer world - it's incredibly impressive.

http://www.gitzmansgallery.com/
Check the Imperial Office to read my Warhammer vignettes - all feedback gratefully received.

Latest: Dark Resurrection

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 03:43:01 PM »
That's an excellent map, Ernst! Though I think it disagrees too much with the geography of 1st edition WFRP for me to find it useful, sadly. Empire maps are just too different from each other for it to be possible to make one map to suit everyone!

Bergsburg: Now I know some fine folks made an unofficial WHFRP adventure but I don't think the town was recognized in any official capacity. I mean I may be wrong but Hergig is used as the provincial capital in The Enemy Within.

Actually, The Enemy Within specifically says that the capital of Hochland is Bergsburg! And yes, it appears on some of the maps. It's certainly official.

Bergsburg also appears on the map in Warhammer City (the Middenheim book that had at least three different titles). Again, it's described as the provincial capital of Hochland.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 04:28:20 PM by rufus sparkfire »
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 05:32:15 PM »
Actually, The Enemy Within specifically says that the capital of Hochland is Bergsburg! And yes, it appears on some of the maps. It's certainly official.

Bergsburg also appears on the map in Warhammer City (the Middenheim book that had at least three different titles). Again, it's described as the provincial capital of Hochland.

The odd part was when I went back checked and went to the map on page 16 of TEW, Hergig gets the little provincial capital legend and no Bergsburg...

Then of course looking it over again some 6 pages latter it contradicts itself and there it is labeled as the capital.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:37:14 PM by S.O.F »
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 06:01:11 PM »
The odd part was when I went back checked and went to the map on page 16 of TEW, Hergig gets the little provincial capital legend and no Bergsburg...

That's the map that also claims Carroburg is a city-state. It's rather an unhelpful map!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline S.O.F

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 06:13:54 PM »
That's the map that also claims Carroburg is a city-state. It's rather an unhelpful map!

Indeed, its interesting that the proto-4th edition WD list also has Carroburg as a City State as well, not just the map but a little blurb to back it up.
Soldier of Fortune
Crazy DOW player
Rabid Mets Fan

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 06:59:54 PM »
Quite a bit of effort seems to have gone into this map, and it looks good!

At the same time, noticed there are a number of locations included on the Madalfred maps that are not located on this map.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Ernst Brauer

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 02:51:30 PM »
Quite a bit of effort seems to have gone into this map, and it looks good!

At the same time, noticed there are a number of locations included on the Madalfred maps that are not located on this map.

I tried my best to stick to melding official with unofficial. So, I used Sigmar's Heirs as my base and all of 2nd ed WFRP to build on it and added some stuff from outside sources. I LOVE Madalfred's stuff, but I wanted to try a semi-official version that suited what I wanted.

That being said, I wish someone had a Gotrek and Felix Gazetteer of some sort that lists all of the locations they went too. I'm sure those books have a lot of great places.

Again, it's a kind of mish-mash of Official and unofficial with being as close to "official" as I feel is neccessary.
That's an excellent map, Ernst! Though I think it disagrees too much with the geography of 1st edition WFRP for me to find it useful, sadly. Empire maps are just too different from each other for it to be possible to make one map to suit everyone!

As you say, it is utterly impossible to make a map of the Empire that will suit everyone. This one works well for our group and as a GM, the toggling of certain layers really helps us. The Trade layer gives me an idea on the fly of the wealth level of a town and where they trade, the political layer lets me know who rules over an area my players go to. This way, I can also toggle off layers I don't want my players to see if I show them a portion of the map.   :happy:

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 02:53:30 PM »
Hey Ernst!

I've tried a couple of times on different browsers and different computers to take a look at the map but it's not working for me.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Ernst Brauer

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 09:17:59 PM »
Wiss,

You gotta be looking at it via Adobe Acrobat. It's best to not try it from a browser, but to download it and open it in Acrobat. Let me know if this doesn't work.

~Ernst

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2013, 01:07:27 AM »
I don't currently have Adobe, I'll have to install that soon (new computer).  I was able to see the basic map though. Would like to view it again being able to mess with the layers.  It looks good, though!
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Ernst Brauer

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 04:00:20 PM »
All,

It's been quite some time since I revisited this layered map of the Empire. A lot of work has gone into updating it. Some updates include a trade layer showing the trade zones and town wealth as well as some revisions based on WFRP 1st edition Enemy Within Maps I dug up.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/rylbn2h5sadf0an/Empire_Map.pdf

The legend is still unfinished...

Offline M. Armand

• Members
  • Of the Old Guard mercenary company.
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 08:15:33 PM »
This is a very nice map!  Well done sir.  :smile2:
"You say you fight for the greater good of mankind?  What could be of greater good to mankind, Monsieur, than gold?"
- M. Armand, Mercenary Captain of the Old Guard

Offline carturello

• Members
  • Tilean soldier, at your service.
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 11:02:09 PM »
Very good work! i love it!

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 03:04:25 AM »