home

Author Topic: 2400p Tournament list- Need Help  (Read 1342 times)

Offline lukesalter2004

• Members
2400p Tournament list- Need Help
« on: June 18, 2015, 07:07:42 PM »
I am now going to a tournament end of July, but the empire comp is quite harsh! Here it is:
-max of two of each war machine and 4 max
- Each Steamtank counts as 1 Warmachine for the purpose of the Warmachine cap. (2nd Steamtank counts as 3)
-War Altar counts as 1 Warmachine for the purpose of the Warmachine cap.
- Maximum 11 Demigrpyh models in the army, each Great Cannon taken counts as 3 models and each Steam
Tank taken counts as 4 models for the purpose of this cap.
- The first Mortar or Helstorm Rocket battery taken does not count towards the Warmachine cap.

I am a little stuck at this point and haven't had a lot of practice, I have a horde of halberds and a stank and few other bits if you had an suggestions, Thanks,
So this is my slightly alternative list:

Lords(524)
Arch Lector- Heavy Armor, charmed shield, Talisman of Preservation, War Alter of Sigmar 304

Battle Wizard Lord- Level 4 Light, Power Stone 220

Hero's(372)
Captain- Full Plate armor, Enchanted shield, Sword Of Might, Dawnstone, BSB Warhorse 155

Captain- Full Plate armor, Shield, Barded Warhorse, Ogre Blade, Potion Of Foolhardiness, LuckStone 129

Battle Wizard- Level 1 Light, Dispell Scroll 90

Core(600)
13x Inner Circle Knights- Full Command, Razor Standard 400

5x Knightly Orders- Standard, Musician 130

10x Archers- 70

Special(769)
4xDemigryph Knights- Standard, Musician 252

4xDemigryph Knights- Standard, Musician 252

Great Cannon- 120

5x ReikGuard Knights- Musician 145

Rare(130)
Celestial Hurricanum- 130

Total- 2397
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 09:40:23 PM by lukesalter2004 »

Offline CarolineWellwater

• Members
Re: 2400p Tournament list- Need Help
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 12:10:17 AM »
(( lukesalter2004,

A couple of quick thoughts / ideas:

1) Your army is basically a cavalry Light Council.  That's a tournament army.

2) I would suggest the following to free-up some points:

2-A) For your Arch Lector, I know a number of players swoon over the Charmed Shield.  I'm not impressed with it.  A savvy player will plink away any character they think has the Charmed Shield with arrows or magic missile effects (effectively using up the enchantment), and then hit it with the big stuff.  I would save the points, and just get a shield. 

2-A-1) Though, with the Arch Lector's moderate fighting abilities, the norm is to get him a two-handed weapon, so at least when he hits, he hits hard.

2-B) I find the Power Stone to be overpriced, for it's one-time trick.  I'd just drop it, and rely upon your 2d6 roll + 3 channeling rolls for your power dice.  Shoot, for a few more points, you can get a Power Scroll that almost-auto-gives you irresistible force... which is usually what a player is trying to do, when the max-dice-cast spells.

2-C) For the BSB, I'm fond of Full Plate, Shield, Pistol, and Ulric's Cloak.  That gives him a 3+ Armor Save / 5 + Ward Save (2+ vs. Fire), and makes him trickier to hit in melee.  With how critical the BSB is in keeping our mediocre LD more reliable, I just don't see giving him a magic weapon as a good idea.

2-C-1) Though, if you do want to give him a magic weapon, I would, instead, suggest a magic banner.  Right now, his Sword of Might affects his three attacks only.  If you get him a magic banner, it'll affect all the attacks in the unit... his... the wizards... the priests... the foot soldiers.  It has a better Meta effect.

2-C-1-a) Though, doing so, you have to be willing to accept the risk that your BSB will have a 3+ Armor Save / 6+ Parry Save as his only protection.  Basically, anything you give your BSB to increase his combat effectiveness decreases his protections... which means you have to be willing to accept the BSB becoming more and more of an easy-pickings target.

2-C-2) As an added benefit of Ulric's Cloak, if you get your BSB WS 10, via a Light buff, you do stand a pretty good chance of having him get hit in melee only on 6s.

2-D) On your other Captain, I'd drop the Potion and Luckstone.  I know it's all of a handful of points; however, dropping those items lets you get a champion for one unit of Demigryphs... or almost upgrade the Power Stone to a Power Scroll.

2-E) With the Knights already giving a -1 or -3 to Armor Save, I don't find the Razor Banner necessary.  I'd suggest, instead, a banner to increase their movement (and thus their threat-radius), or a Terror Banner, which allows you to add psychology into the mix... or the Flamming Banner, if you think you're going to face a lot of regeneration-type enemies.

2-E-1) Yes, Fear and Terror aren't what they used to be (and many armies will resist their effects reliably); however, eventually your opponent will fail Fear / Terror LD checks.

2-F) Overall, your army is highly mobile... except for your Great Cannon.  At some point it'll be left by itself, and become easy pickings for your opponent.

2-F-1) Something to consider, in its place, might be some Outriders or Pistoliers (since you mentioned the strict composition restrictions).  Yes, both units are glass-cannons; however, they are highly mobile, and better fit with your cavalry-focused army.

Anyway, just some quick thoughts. ))

Offline Sceleris

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 01:50:30 PM »
Couple of comments:

2A - for the sake of 1pt keep the charmed shield.
2A-1 - agree with great weapon as the shield won't do you much could in combat
2B - don't mind power stone as extra couple of dice (esp in low winds phase) is nice
2C - cloak is nice as it will benefit the rest of the unit slightly.  Ward save v 1+ reroll is your call really.
2C-1 - even on mounted BSB with 1+as don't really like magic banner as don't find any that are that beneficial esp when unit can take one.
2E - like steel standard or ranger banner

2F - Cannon seems bit out of place but I suppose it can be useful - stick it away from the rest of your army as a distraction esp if opponent doesn't have cheap fast moving stuff

Offline lukesalter2004

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 06:58:11 PM »
I think I like my BSB to have a sword because the best defence is a good offense ;) But seriously the took captains in the Knights add for some punch, I like the AP banner because this unit Now just eats monster cav and such like.