home

Author Topic: 2400 ETC LC list  (Read 1859 times)

Offline kasual

• Members
2400 ETC LC list
« on: May 27, 2015, 07:29:58 PM »
Here is the list I've played in two NE GTs this year. Went 3-2 in the first as I was still learning, then 4-0-1 and a 2nd overall at Unplugged GT. A clubmate and I created the list and both have been playing with some success. Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to talk shop. I feel ETC is a little "light" on the light council, compwise. I think it's an excellent choice. Here's our list:

Arch Lector, altar, dragonhelm, talisman of preservation, HA, shield, terror horn (this is for arcane unforging protection really)
Lvl 4 Light, power stone
Lvl 1 Light, dispel scroll
Lvl 1 Light, Scroll of shielding
Captain, BSB, GW, Armour of meteoric iron
Capticus, Lance, enchanted shield, dragonbane gem
Captain, horse, ogre blade, charmed shield, luckstone (this guy is an mvp, seriously)
Witch hunter, GW, BoP
11 Inner circle, FC (captain on horse here)
40 Halberdiers, FC (LC, bsb and WH here usually) Detachment 5 archers
Cannon
4 Demigryphs
Steam Tank

I play a pretty cagey game with this list. Game after game, we would add up points and this list just doesn't give up easy points. The Hals usually act as the juicy center of a very tough nut to crack. Six turns of banishments and pressure really works well. Light and altar buffs are amazing when it's combat time, and the continuous threats of banishment ripping up some big baddies is excellent. Power stone is your guaranteed banishment when you need it most. The scroll of shielding in with the WH is basically an extra dispel scroll. Let me know what you think of the list and any questions!

Offline Jomppexx

• Members
Re: 2400 ETC LC list
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 07:50:16 PM »
Looks like a usual Light council.
Nothing really sticks out as being overly bad, expect the witch hunter. I would definitely leave him out and just take more mass.
Running a captain on horse without BSB is interesting, he's sort of serving as what High Elf Nobles do I guess? Seems interesting.
"Sigmar is like a barbaric, warrior Jesus, and only appeared to be a mortal man."
Highlights :
8/2014 : Grandmaster slew a Chaos Lord in a challenge

Offline kasual

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 05:43:42 PM »
Yeah it is a pretty typical light council with my own twist. It's also ETC legal, which in my region is used for a lot of singles events. Not sure how it'd be in a team environment.

I do have a bsb on foot. He sticks with the hals along with the rest of the characters. The witch hunter is an amazing character. I know it gets hate but for me, best 60 points spent in the list. Oddly he acts a deterrent for some armies who don't want a character getting too close. I accuse BSBs who want to get into combat with my hals. Works excellent. He earned his spot in the list by taking of two wounds on a wrath bloodthirster at unplugged gt for an epic show of awesomeness. Rare, sure, but he's my boy and definitely worth his points. Also gives me another character for redirecting or double flees. There are a myriad of uses for this little guy. MR2 and scroll of shielding is an excellent combo. You can let a big spell through if you need to. I love using it on fiery convocation. I'll let that spell ride out all game at 2++ or until he wants to chuck more dice at it again.

The captain in the inner circles has been an absolute mvp. Having the extra 3 str 6 attacks in that unit has changed fights. He's not super protected but enough to survive a round of combat and that is key. I want my inners getting in and getting out quickly.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 05:52:40 PM by kasual »

Offline Once Bitten

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 11:47:16 PM »
Nice job with the 2nd place finish. I'm looking to design an Empire list to use over the next year (with only minor modifications so I can used to playing a list rather than switching all the darn time). The gutsy part of me wants to make an all-infantry list - but I'm not sure there is one that can win GTs. If I don't go that route, I may try your list out.

Offline brachmeier

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 09:10:37 PM »
Kasual I love this list - the perfect inspiration when struggling for what to bring to an upcoming tourney, to the extent that I'm bringing exactly the above, hope it's seen as respect rather than plagiarizing!

It makes a lot of sense - I normally run a Warrior Priest in the IC Knights but he only has 2 attacks and needs the armour save more than a good offensive build, so wasn't quite cutting the mustard. Plus war machines are often easy points and as you said, this list makes it very difficult to get points.

I'm interested in the deployment - I presume halberdier bus in the centre with the War Altar sandwiched between them and the iC Knights for the hatred bubble, then one each of the Stank and Demis on each flank?

Offline kasual

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 06:14:06 PM »
@OB: It's been nearly a year since we had a beer talking about this very same empire army. In concept, it looked much different then. I think I was talking about having all buff wagons and whatnot. I'd love to see a battle report with you playing this list. I think you'll enjoy it. I regret not doing reports for my last two GTs with this list, but I really wanted to focus on playing the list to its potential and not forget key rules since I'm still pretty new to empire. I know Crossroads spring the first two games I forgot my Power stone, who knows what else I would have forgotten had I been focused on taking pictures too. I just got a game with this list this past weekend playing in the Universal battle GT and it brought me a solid 15-5 win over some lizards. It continues to perform well for me under ETC comp. I honestly think it's one of the harder, tougher lists for ETC. **(This list does struggle tremendously against the 2500 point OnG warmachine-fest lists)**  I watched your game against Vince the other day, that list looked really fun to play with. I dig the idea of all infantry.

@brachmeier: haha, glad I can bring some inspiration! No worries about plagiarizing, I'm far from the first to put a light council on the table. I'm sure I have some unique elements but again I can't take all the credit because it was a mish-mash of ideas from different resources and a good friend who plays empire too.

Regarding deployment. There is a subtle beauty in this list that may go unnoticed at one glance; low drops. Yes, you are going to have to have somewhat of a set deployment in mind (reference oncebitten360's deployment tacticia) because of this. But in most games I've had less drops against opponents giving me a better chance of going first. With going first, of course, I have the opportunity to neutralize big threats before my opponent gets to act. I've pulled many dispel scrolls first turn, which is a huge advantage, imo. Typically my deployment will involve a hill to keep the altar safe from range threats. The altar plays a support role. Keeping everything within the 18" LD range during deployment is a top priority. The last thing you want is to lose first turn and, for example, have demis take a panic and flee. With this in mind, I want to have nearly everyone in BSB range too, just in case. If terrain doesn't allow for this or maybe there is an exception, than I want at least the inner circles within bsb and altar range as panicking them off is more points with the captain and the knights than the demis are. Usually they are on opposite flanks. Deployment took me some time to figure out over the course of a bunch of games. I found out what worked and what didn't for me. You're not necessarily castling with this list, but your also not deploying 12 inches up across the entire board either. I try to decide before deployment what roll my inner circle knights are going to play in the game. If I feel my hals will be in combat inevitably, I tend to keep them more in a reserve fashion or at least in a position that it only takes a turn or two to get them into the flank of whatever is coming at the hals. Basically, the key is to pick the right early matchups for your demis and steam tank. You want to delay combat on the hals for as long as possible. You want your dice to be dedicated to banishments and not supporting combats. I try to match things up where I know I don't have to support the early combats. I can't be spending dice on timewarp to help the demis win a combat. I need to be casting and shooting (skank and cannon) at the biggest and fastest threats. Get the edge on points early and this opens up the late game for you.

The biggest thing with this list is overcoming the feeling you'll have most of the game that you are losing, lol. Seriously. There have been quite a few games where I felt like the game was all but lost and then I get off a double banishment in turn 5 to make it a crushing win. It's just the nature of the list. Early game could see a scroll get used, maybe your cannon misfires for two turns, your skank gets caught up on some flanking fel bats or something. Demis are in a hard fight, then all of a sudden, boom the cannon rips off a dragon, banishment rolls up 13 hits on a deamon and everything is rainbows and kitty cats. It could be just my being new to empire, perhaps. Having come off of a long two year run with deamons, I could be a bit over-obsessive with stuff like panic tests. :D

Hope this wall of text helps!

Offline brachmeier

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 09:11:32 AM »
Excellent stuff, many thanks for this! I was thinking that the Demis and Knights would be on opposite flanks, something like Demis - Stank - War Altar - Halbs - Knights and Mr Pegasus wherever it looks good, Cannon probably rear centre if they have fast cav, although as you said it's good to get the right matchups. We have loads of Warriors and Kairos Daemons in the local meta, so if I can engineer the Stank into the likely Beasts/Plaguebearer/Warrio blocks it'll do nicely while I banish off the more mobile threats like Flies/DPs/Disco Lords. The War Altar gives a load of flexibility too with the buffs, especially if I face regen (Trolls/Throgg ...) for bubble flaming, so I'm looking forward to trying the list out. As said I normally have more chaff but it's often easy points and in tight games makes a real difference.