home

Author Topic: Empire arcane journal wishlist  (Read 3864 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Arcane Speculation
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2024, 11:13:11 PM »
Crossbows are S4....?

Small arms fire has always been overcosted IMO.
In the past, a S3 Mortar was more cost effective.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2024, 01:33:39 AM »
And while we're wishlisting, handgund should not be a one point upgrade. It should be choose crossbow OR handgun. The extra AP comes at the cost of range.

Agreed, but the dwarves pay the same tax to "upgrade" crossbows to handguns, so I suspect that ship has sailed.

There seems to be a general overvaluation on AP in this edition. I assume the rules writers play knight heavy chaos warriors and high elves.
Don't hug me I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Skyros

• Members
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2024, 03:27:25 AM »
What I would LIKE to see is some sort of "State troops are actually good" list where you lose access to flying griphons and war altars and such, but your infantry is actually worth something (maybe all state troops cost a point less, and get shieldwall and drilled) and you must take an elector count as your general, and a unit of greatswords counts as core.

Maybe you can also buy one unit of halberdiers heavy armor for free if you put the elector count in them.

What are we likely to see....? Not sure. I would have said middenheim list, but we already have the priests of ulric in the base book. Knights of the white wolf are just great weapon knights, tuetogen guard are just greatswords....it doesn't sound very exciting but I do think it's one of the most likely.

Other than that...a 'dogs of war' list would be very cool, but I just don't really see them doing it. And if they aren't bringing back all the DOW mercenaries, a marienburg list doesn't feel very appealing to me.

What they  might do, if the empire is in a civil war, is just make a list for each 'side' of the war, which would be thematic and fun.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 04:54:16 PM by Skyros »

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2024, 05:04:28 AM »
What they  might do, if the empire is in a civil war, is just make a list for each 'side' of the war, which would be thematic and fun.

I suspect those lists will come later - the game looks to be themed around Settra invading the Border Princes and the two current Arcane Journals support this.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline GoblinGreenBases

• Members
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2024, 12:26:39 PM »
What new kits were released for Brettonia and Tomb Kings?  Dragon, Foot Knights, and Duke?  Am I missing one?

Purely speculation, but Empire could get a Bolt Thrower or Flame Cannon of sorts, though it seems unlikely.  I would like to see Duelists or Marines or maybe even our own version of Foot Knights (which IIRC we had back in the day).

Mercenaries do seem likely, but what role they'll fill, I can't fathom.

Offline Perforated

• Members
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2024, 12:42:14 PM »
What new kits were released for Brettonia and Tomb Kings?  Dragon, Foot Knights, and Duke?  Am I missing one?

Brettonia got a new hero on Pegasus and the foot knights if I re-call correctly. TK got the dude on a bone dragon.

Purely speculation, but Empire could get a Bolt Thrower or Flame Cannon of sorts, though it seems unlikely.  I would like to see Duelists or Marines or maybe even our own version of Foot Knights (which IIRC we had back in the day).

Who knows? The releases for Bret/TK had nothing to do with their respective Arcane journals. The rumor has it that Empire will be getting new knights and new free company. For the rest of the range there is mostly excellent plastics already (personally I hate the regular state troop models but that's me).

In the arcane journal I'd guess we'll be seeing some kind of "crusade" list, what the other might be I have no idea :)
Stirland rabble for life!

Offline GoblinGreenBases

• Members
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2024, 03:02:07 PM »
The most recent kits still hold really well too.  (Except the State Trooper with no shoes...)

Offline lcmiracle

• Members
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2024, 02:46:01 AM »
Who knows? The releases for Bret/TK had nothing to do with their respective Arcane journals. The rumor has it that Empire will be getting new knights and new free company. For the rest of the range there is mostly excellent plastics already (personally I hate the regular state troop models but that's me).

In the arcane journal I'd guess we'll be seeing some kind of "crusade" list, what the other might be I have no idea :)

Dunno if EMP will get anything, since if you look at what TK and Bret got, they either got new units that didn't exist previously KotR on foot (no, everything before 6E Bret were mistakes), Nekeph, Bone Dragon or updates to very old resin kits. Personally I don't see the point of a new Empire Knights kit -- they didn't release new KotR on horse kits and the EK kit was in the same style as those. Meanwhile the FCM are in the same still as the state troops, so lots of interchangeble parts, and IMO that's a good thing. The last Empire plastic range was a whole package that don't need changing.

For the "starter" factions, they released several resin character minis, such as the new "Handmaiden of the Lady", that named prophetess on a horse or unicorn, and two paladins on foot (one posing with a two-handed sword another a standard bearer).

source

TK also got Nekhep holding up a scroll proclaiming for Settra on a tactical rock.

Provided they tie the other factions' release to the Border Princes campaign, then Empire has three representives there -- and none of them will get an exclusive kit, if prior patterens will be observed. Instead I hope we get a new "Jade Wizard" miniature since the plastic kit didn't come with options for neither amber nor jade wizards. There was that LoB wizard on foot resin kit circa 6E and of course that plastic one with the griffon kit, but Jade? Hopefully they add some kind of "Hedgewise" character who was trying to warn those three Empire guys in the Border Princes of Settra, or something. They can also make that a Taalite priest, I dunno, something.

If Empire gets a flame cannon, the AJ will just tell players to use a Dwarf flame cannon with human cannon crews -- that exactly how they did it with the Bombard

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2024, 03:23:26 AM »
If Empire gets a flame cannon, the AJ will just tell players to use a Dwarf flame cannon with human cannon crews -- that exactly how they did it with the Bombard

I think you're right, any new kit will be an update to something existing. I assume a new wolf priest, or at least I hope for one.

Any units in the journal will be either a kit bash or a "but it on a scenic base" job

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2024, 06:15:51 AM »
They will re-release the Ulric priests from storm of chaos. Great models.

Don’t forget TK got a new third variant carrion model. :biggriin:

I think new knights are the most likely, mainly because of the horse models age. Inner Circle knights perhaps. However TK got their old horses back… so not sure.
Or smaller Griffons for captains (rather than EC from 6th ed re-release) or maybe a GM on demigryph model.
Maybe a new witch hunter (despite them being terrible).
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2024, 06:57:14 AM »
Are there any equipment options that didn't exist in model form before?

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline lcmiracle

• Members
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2024, 08:25:38 AM »
Are there any equipment options that didn't exist in model form before?

Well, I guess we do have Heavy Armour for the knights... They also got no bits for it, so... perhaps they will be added in this time?
The only justitiable reason for them to release a new knights kit, to me, is to integrate all the orders' options in one single box. There weren't enough pelts for KP, not a single cavalry hammer nor proper barbaric head for KotWW, and if you want greatsword knights you had to get bits elsewhere (and those won't have the proper rerebraces either -- I built a couple GS knights for flavor with left-over GS arms and they look weird)

Witch Hunters got a lot of options from the AoS release so I'm think that's why they got crossbows and can ride horses now. Then there's the pegasus mount option which, will probably be more useful then replacing the plastic griffon mini.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 08:28:17 AM by lcmiracle »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2024, 12:39:58 PM »
All the knights I bought back in the old days had the white wolf sprue included. Which had enough hammers and beardy heads and some extra pelts.

Offline lcmiracle

• Members
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2024, 01:03:49 PM »
All the knights I bought back in the old days had the white wolf sprue included. Which had enough hammers and beardy heads and some extra pelts.

Such are the ways of buying second hand off ebay I guess. But then it's another reason why a new EK kit is not needed

Offline Perforated

• Members
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2024, 01:53:31 PM »

Such are the ways of buying second hand off ebay I guess. But then it's another reason why a new EK kit is not needed

Technically needs, maybe not, but it would be welcome as the knights are by far the most dated models in the Empire range, having been around since god knows when :-P

I'd be happy with new knights and a re-release of the Free company (maybe with some new bits if they re-master the sprues).

For other releases I would expect:

* Bring back metal priests of Ulric
* Bring back metal warrior priests (no plastic model outside of war altar).
* 6th edition general on Griffon

For made to order I would be happy to see:

* 6th edition greatswords
* Metal teutogen guard
* Flagellants (both 4th/5th and 5th edition metals)
* OG Karl Franz on Griffon
* Old metal state troops (one can dream)
* Halflings + Hot Pot (can be used as a "counts as" Mortar but I'd love rules for it in the Arcane Journal)
* Old wizard models

Stirland rabble for life!

Offline Skyros

• Members
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2024, 04:54:55 PM »
They will re-release the Ulric priests from storm of chaos. Great models.

Don’t forget TK got a new third variant carrion model. :biggriin:

I think new knights are the most likely, mainly because of the horse models age. Inner Circle knights perhaps. However TK got their old horses back… so not sure.
Or smaller Griffons for captains (rather than EC from 6th ed re-release) or maybe a GM on demigryph model.
Maybe a new witch hunter (despite them being terrible).

I hope they also release the teutogen guard. I sold mine, and reget it to this day.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2024, 05:12:34 PM »
I want the old free company. Not some new oversized 32mm scale version that will overhang on 25mm bases with less options and stupid copy-rightable helmets.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline emcdunna

• Members
Empire arcane journal wishlist
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2024, 05:02:57 PM »
What do you want to see I the empire's arcane journal?

I of course want fluffy stuff like an ulric themed list perhaps with teutogen greatswords and maybe a war alter of ulric but I'm also hoping there's more competitive choices built in as well

For example, I think having some kind of faith based list that bans (most if not all) wizards but grants a unit of flagellants as core  would be very exciting. And if there were any way you could get some kind of item or special warrior priest with LD 9 that would be fantastic as well as empire is kinda lacking the flexibility I'd want for a good general choice

Another thing I'm hoping for is some way to improve state troops. If it's not too much to hope for, some kind of 40k Detachment like system where you pick your city/province and get an exclusive buff to even just one flavor of state troops (for example giving them drilled or horde) would be excellent

You know what else would be amazing is if we could have a new unit in the arcane journals to represent more heavily armored core state troops. Like the nuln Ironsides, or perhaps just representing a richer province. State troops with heavy armor would be exciting as a possibility

But what are the ideas you all have for ways to make empire more interesting in an arcane journal?

Offline HelmutVonSmutt

• Members
Re: Empire arcane journal wishlist
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2024, 07:14:46 PM »
For me doing something with state troops is a must. whether its giving them horde or reducing points etc
I would also like to see knights coming with full plate it makes no sense from a fluff perspective why they wouldnt be wearing it
And maybe some province specific list options

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2024, 07:45:34 PM »
Just as a core rule, why do the empire character's abilities like ignoring panic or the priest spells not work on detachments? If they did that'd be no where near as broken as other factions but not having it is embarrassing

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2024, 07:56:11 PM »
Immune to Phycology is passed on to the detachment.   Why would a priest's spells be passed on to the detachment? The detachment is not being buffed by the priest.   Frenzy on the other hand is passed on to the detachment.

Offline Grendel083

• Members
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2024, 08:13:42 PM »
There’s only one thing I’m hoping for…

Offline madeinitaly1

• Members
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2024, 10:32:56 PM »
Van Horstmann speculum

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2024, 10:38:36 PM »
250point steam tank so I can take two in a 2k list is what I want.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline emcdunna

• Members
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2024, 10:46:58 PM »
Immune to Phycology is passed on to the detachment.   Why would a priest's spells be passed on to the detachment? The detachment is not being buffed by the priest.   Frenzy on the other hand is passed on to the detachment.
Because empire has no unique army special rules anymore, and detachments, while being underwhelming would be a good area to try to fix them up a bit

The fact that nothing in the empire book synergizes with detachments is sad. Yes and in old editions the WP gave the whole unit hatred! But now, nope that's not allowed. The necrotect does that but empire would be too OP with hatred