home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen RPG (out of character thread)  (Read 735392 times)

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen RPG (out of character thread)
« Reply #5600 on: March 30, 2013, 10:20:12 AM »
Yikes! That's awful Finlay! Sorry that happened. Where in Greece where you?

I'm not really in a touristy location. The friends I've made here, have become like family. I get beer chips and tzatsiki all the time! Or if it's cold, I get Rakomelo (hot Tzatsiki with honey!).

Rufus, that place, Meteora, is great! I traveled there last spring! It's only about 2 hours from me. It looks like it's straight out of a fantasy book. Breathtaking, really.

Here's one of my pictures: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/JustaGuy778/P3311549_zpse16135a3.jpg

It's taken from a larger monastery on a higher/bigger rock. Insane how they built them. They used to only have cargo nets and buckets to bring people up and down.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:25:39 AM by Karl Voss of Averland »
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5601 on: March 30, 2013, 10:28:34 AM »
I think I visited two of them. Can't remember which ones, but it was amazing.

How long have you been in Greece? Sounds like it's been a while.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #5602 on: March 30, 2013, 10:35:48 AM »
The two popular ones are Megalos Meteoron (Grand Meteroa) has a ossuary room with skulls (Very Warhammer) and Varlaam which I pictured above. I'm a fan of hiking, so I just stayed for a weekend at a hostel at the base of the mountains and hiked up each day.

Got here Since mid-2011. Partially why I disappeared from the forums for awhile, as I didn't have internet. It's a 2 year internship, and I'll be back in the US this summer.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5603 on: March 30, 2013, 10:53:44 AM »
Ah, I expect those are the two I went to then. I definitely went to the big one.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay in Greece.

Nice photo by the way!
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #5604 on: March 30, 2013, 10:56:05 AM »
Thanks!  :::cheers:::

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #5605 on: March 30, 2013, 11:02:55 AM »
Those places look awesome.

I went to Thessaloniki.

I did ancient history at uni, so would love to visit again really.

Glad you're experience has been better karl- to be fair it was only one restaurant owner and bus, and busses suck.

It sounds like a good two years!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5606 on: March 30, 2013, 11:05:40 AM »
I went to Thessaloniki.

I went there too! And to Philip II's tomb, and Pella.
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #5607 on: March 30, 2013, 03:43:48 PM »
Thess is a cool city! I like it better than Athens, as it's a little less chaotic. Old cities designed before cars sometimes don't modernize well, and Athens is just a sea of people. It does have the Acropolis and cool museums. And a nice parliament building to throw stuff at - it's all the rage these days!

I love history in general. I'm one of those dorks that will go spend hours checking stuff out in museums or going to see various ruins. I haven't seen Phillip II's tomb or Pella, which is sad as I live not far from it. I actually just booked tickets to pop over to Istanbul for a weekend in April (100 euros roundtrip!). Lot's of cool stuff there too. Last time I saw the large chain they used to stretch across the Maananspoort Bosphorus!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5608 on: March 30, 2013, 03:50:20 PM »
I'm one of those dorks that will go spend hours checking stuff out in museums or going to see various ruins.

That's an awesome thing to do! How can anyone not be interested in history?

I haven't seen Phillip II's tomb or Pella, which is sad as I live not far from it.

You should definitely go. Worth seeing!

I'm jealous about Constantinople! I really want to go there. I love Byzantine history especially.
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #5609 on: March 30, 2013, 03:58:48 PM »
Keep an eye RyanAir! I just found a good deal with them. They may have crap service, and try to slam you with fees, but sometimes you can catch great deals! Swing by Constantinople sometime, totally worth it for the Hagia Sofia alone. Topkapi palace is pretty cool, and has the church of Hagia Irene where the First Council of Constantinople was held. Plenty of cool spice markets and the like too.

I'll definitely plan on visiting Pella and Phillip II! Gotta start saving.

I'm also learning to speak Greek. It's hard, but fun to learn the roots of a lot of English words. People often think I'm from England, as they don't expect Americans so often, unless you're in a tourist area.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5610 on: March 30, 2013, 04:47:27 PM »
Thanks for the advice! I'll have to do that.

I am absolutely terrible at languages. Good luck learning Greek!

RPG:

cough ask Yorri if he knows anything about Bardin cough.
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #5611 on: March 30, 2013, 06:41:37 PM »
No problem. Seriously, if you ever go one day, let me know. I know some friends that are studying there and they might be able to hook you up.

Anyways, RPG:

Divine inspiration from above?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 06:53:41 PM by Karl Voss of Averland »

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #5612 on: March 30, 2013, 07:01:56 PM »
I went to Thessaloniki.

I went there too! And to Philip II's tomb, and Pella.
I didn't go to the tomb, but I did go to an exhibition of the stuff from it in Oxford. My MA was on hellenistic dynasties, basically.

Thess is a cool city! I like it better than Athens, as it's a little less chaotic. Old cities designed before cars sometimes don't modernize well, and Athens is just a sea of people. It does have the Acropolis and cool museums. And a nice parliament building to throw stuff at - it's all the rage these days!

I love history in general. I'm one of those dorks that will go spend hours checking stuff out in museums or going to see various ruins. I haven't seen Phillip II's tomb or Pella, which is sad as I live not far from it. I actually just booked tickets to pop over to Istanbul for a weekend in April (100 euros roundtrip!). Lot's of cool stuff there too. Last time I saw the large chain they used to stretch across the Maananspoort Bosphorus!

You know, my favourite lecturer at Uni was from Athens, and she'd always go on about how horrible it was. Hot, smoggy, busy with traffic. The acropolis almost not worth going to because too busy! I almost said that above but felt I'd already been too anti greek.

I'd love to go touring round some less popular ruins and stuff.

Istanbul is a cool city too. I did a 2 week field trip touring east turkey for ruins. It was fun.

Pass the machete.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #5613 on: March 30, 2013, 07:06:59 PM »
I'm glad you guys enjoy this stuff too! Sure, Athens has it's negatives, but the Acropolis and the museum with it are certainly worth seeing. Did you go to Ephesus by chance? One of these days I hope to go to Cappadocia.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 08:00:28 PM by Karl Voss of Averland »

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #5614 on: March 30, 2013, 08:07:08 PM »
you edited out asking to be my best friend!

I saw it.

ha ha.

No to Ephesus- we were Eastern turkey, as in syrian border style!

Highlight was the Kommagenian remains, at nemrud dag and 2 of their cities.
Also some Ptolemaic cities.
Saw a bunch of other older stuff which was less interesting to me. One old frieze in this farmers field- he said that some people came and tried to steal it with pneumatic drills, and he fought them off!

Pass the machete.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #5615 on: March 30, 2013, 08:13:39 PM »
Ha! Can we still be best friends? I was quoting the movie Step-Brother, then edited it out because I thought no one would know what I was referencing  :icon_redface:

That's really cool! Man I wish I could do some of that stuff. I love finding historical bits that aren't major tourist traps. The Ptolemaic cities sound cool! Also I saw in some thread that you have a second kiddo on the way? (Well, maybe your wife more than you) Congrats!!!!  :::cheers::: When is she expecting?

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #5616 on: March 30, 2013, 11:03:52 PM »
I didnt get the reference, although I have seen the movie- It made me laugh anyway.

I wish I had a better memory of it, there were some cool stories.

yes, due on april 11th! I've been decorating the baby (and my son's) rooms this easter weekend.

Pass the machete.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #5617 on: March 30, 2013, 11:33:30 PM »
Wow! She's about to pop then! My mother, girlfriend, and sister where all born on April 10, 11, and 12. You know if it's a boy or girl?

Rufus, Yorri and Helga aren't supposed to be tactful! I want information on Bardin, but I don't think Admund would explain to every dwarf he meets that he's on a revenge quest against another dwarf.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5618 on: March 31, 2013, 09:15:08 AM »
Rufus, Yorri and Helga aren't supposed to be tactful! I want information on Bardin, but I don't think Admund would explain to every dwarf he meets that he's on a revenge quest against another dwarf.

I did say ask! They might have seen him on the street (he's very recognisable), but not know his name.

You could ask them over breakfast, if you wanted.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 09:25:48 AM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #5619 on: March 31, 2013, 10:04:34 AM »
Feels a little forced, but i'll ask over breakfast. Admund really wants to pay Bardin back for the headwound. Dwarfs know the business of other dwarfs I guess. And Bardin really is recognizable. I want to take his monocle as a trophy.

I also think I'm rushing things too and not giving Julian & Heinrich a chance to talk, so i'll wait a bit
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:12:08 AM by Karl Voss of Averland »

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5620 on: March 31, 2013, 10:19:30 AM »
Well, you don't have to ask them, and maybe they don't know anything. But I think it would occur to your characters that Yorri and Helga live 50 yards away from the dwarf who owns the warehouses Bardin used, and so might have seen him on the street. It's possible!
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5621 on: March 31, 2013, 07:19:14 PM »
Post!
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #5622 on: March 31, 2013, 07:20:14 PM »
Just got home. Happy Easter!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5623 on: March 31, 2013, 07:25:20 PM »
Yes, Happy Easter!

It's not Easter in Greece though, surely? They calculate when it is differently.
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #5624 on: March 31, 2013, 07:32:55 PM »
Yep! I just explained this to my parents on the phone actually. Greece uses the older Julien (not Finlay) calender, which has some deficiencies, more out of tradition than anything. In the 1500s, the Gregorian Calender that we (the West) use became the standard and made up for the deficiencies of the older calender by adding things like leap years. Easter is always calculated based on the date of Passover, and Passover depends on the lunar calender. Most of the time, East and Western church Easter celebrate the same day, but occasionally they different. This year Easter will be May 5th!

/jeopardy

RPG: I am assuming that a full fledged doctor will be able to heal better (more wounds) than Max back at the Inn with his medical bag? Probably going to ask for direction to the nearest doctor and get some heals as all of us are fairly banged up!