home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen RPG (out of character thread)  (Read 735392 times)

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen RPG (out of character thread)
« Reply #13250 on: June 15, 2016, 10:51:34 AM »
Well, it depends what everyone wants to do. There are various plotlines active:

- Elf ultimatum to Middenheim/dark elf necromancer infiltrators.

- 'Golden City' chaos cult and their planned demon-summoning play.

- Chaos cultists at the Cathayan embassy.

- New Millenialists revolutionary/chaotic? group.

- Sybo's brother's evil laboratory in the cellar.

- Loose ends of the Etelka plot: Cassonava/van Haagen/various leads from her journal.

- sell the trade goods the party brought from Middenheim!

Also, the snotling needs to go to that elf who runs the petshop!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:00:45 AM by rufus sparkfire »
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #13251 on: June 15, 2016, 11:16:40 AM »
Etelka's journal, translated partly by the elf guy and partly by Max (Max's parts are in blue)

"Now, the first page begins with a name: 'Tessa.' Following are some biographical details, in abbreviated form."

This section of the journal describes the character of Tessa, an assumed identity of the journal's writer. Tessa was born in the Tilean city of Mirgaliano, and from childhood became a part of the infamous 'Blue Hawk' gang. After becoming rich through the drug trade, she studied magic at the city's university, but was expelled after being caught stealing alchemical reagents. She then came to Marienburg, on a mission to establish links between the Blue Hawk Gang and the League of Gentlemen Entrepreneurs.

Hans notices that Ralmoris looks a little disturbed by the mention of magic. But he continues to translate.

"The next page describes Lady Miranda Arcimboldo, also from Miragliano."

Lady Miranda's history is as detailed as Tessa's. It's a fairly generic story of an heiress who has come to Marienburg as part of a grand tour of The Old World. It's obvious that both of these sections of the journal are Etelka's reference notes for the characters she plays.

"Ah, now we have a section on the League of Gentlemen Entrepreneurs."

This section is composed of brief notes on the League's structure. After this are various annotated names:
- Gerardus Hondschoen, a priest of Ranald, is described as a threat that must be removed.
- Guan Lo Fat, a gang-leader in Little Cathay, is struggling to control his rebellious lieutenants. The word 'opportunity' is written after.
- Miguelito Nunez, a smuggling gang-leader, is putting pressure on Guan Lo Fat's operations. The words 'ally with' are written.
- Dmitri Hrodovsky, a pharmacist in Kruiersmuur, is said to be a 'drug supplier.'
- Gijsbert Delftgruber. ship's chandler in Guilderveld. His father was a gang leader during the last gang war, and was horribly punished by Henschmann. Gijbert runs a minor smuggling operation outside League control, though Henschmann knows about it. Gijsbert wants revenge on Henschmann. After this information, the journal says, 'target as Miranda.'
- Adalbert Henschmann, the league's boss, has a longer section of text. The initial parts talk about his repulsiveness and susceptibility to seduction. Thereafter it records his total control of the League's constituent gangs. The last section describes a plan to get close to him as Tessa, claiming to be offering a connection to the Blue Hawk Gang, then seducing him and obtaining some authority in the League. The next stage is to trigger a gang war, and quickly kill Henschmann. The writer hopes to win the war and become the new leader of the League.

"All very sordid," Ralmoris says. "hmmm, this part is strange. It says, 'use League as bargaining tool with M.M. of Middenheim.' Well, there's still a great deal more to translate. I shall continue."

He turns the page. "The arrangement of the words here is odd... they are diagrammatical. There is a heading... 'Myriad Reshapement of Ys-Tra'leth'. Then... arcane syllables... the Invocative diphthong... this is a spell! A transmutive incantation!"

"Um, yes, the words are arranged in a magical diagram. The heading is... 'Myriad Reshapement of Ys-Tra'leth.' Definitely a spell. Yes, under the code it's written in the arcane language, or at least a variant form of it. I'm not an expert on magic, but I think it's a spell for reshaping objects into other things. Um, perhaps it's what Etelka used to turn a chair into a creature."

"The next section is in a narrative form."

Met Delftgruber as Miranda at Red Cock Inn. The place is a smuggling safehouse. The owner, Tuersveld, is an ex-pirate. He is conspiring with Guan Lo Fat and Delftgruber to supplant Henschmann. This aligns somewhat with my own interests. Used Tuersveld's contacts to take a letter to M.M. in Middenheim, via the Windhund Haulage connection. The Red Cock will be my contact point for the M.M.'s agent. Promised more than I currently have in the letter, but am confident I have the time to make good. I am vulnerable without the M.M.'s support. Hunters may arrive any day. Have set spies to watch the docks and the gates.

Met Sybo Haan at the Red Cock. Local wizard with enchanting business. Would be an interesting ally, and easy conquest, except Delftgruber is jealous and made trouble. Tiresome!

Lunch at Red Cock: unusual-tasting meat. Delftgruber greatly enjoyed it, but I suspect it is not boar as described. Tuersveld said it came from Groenewoud's Slaughterhouse. Visited and spoke to Groenewoud. Superficially charming, but hiding his true nature. Excellent blackmail target, once I have evidence from inside slaughterhouse. Will stick to fish at Red Cock in future.

Convinced Delftgruber to take me to the Three of a Kind. Knew that Trancas, elf owner, was connected to League.

Ralmoris stops, frowning. When he continues, Hans suspects him of skipping ahead in the text.

"Ah, you've left a little gap here on this part about Trancas. Did the translator skip something? Let's see... yes, he did. I'll try to decode it."

He's quiet for a while, scribbling away with his pen. "I think I have it: recalled seeing Trancas on old wanted posters when I passed through Carroburg. The elf is wanted for the murder of the Grand Duke's son, about eighty years ago. Despite the time that has passed, I suspect the current Grand Duke would still honour the reward of 2000 crowns if Trancas was brought to him. Unsure if the money or the hold over Trancas would be more useful. I must be cautious: elves are not to be trifled with."

Delftgrubber introduced me to Crispijn van Haagen. Heir to van Haagen family - one of the Ten. Recall Teugen's letters about Jochen van Haagen in Bogenhafen. Used that information to convince Crispijn I was a family friend. Obtained dinner invitation next day at Prince's Rest. Delfgrubber is upset, but convinced him I would still see him.

Crispijn is as corrupt as Jochen, as I suspected. Many say he is connected to the slave trade. Haagen family generates more wealth than their declared assets should be capable of. Also heard Rembrand van Onderzoeker's death has been blamed on Leo van Haagen. I intend to meet Thijs van Onderzoeker and offer to arrange Leo's death. This would give me control of both houses.

Have the use of Crispijn's suite at the Prince's Rest. Convenient address for Miranda. Have been active in high society. Attended the Directorate Ball. Met Jaan van de Kuypers. Detected something in him. Will investigate further, but he would be a dangerous enemy. Also met Cathayan ambassador. Something familiar about him. Need a private meeting to determine what.

Let's see what's next: hmmm, it's about meeting van Haagen. Oh my! She mentioned Professor Teugen! You won't have heard of him, Hans, but he was an important merchant in Bogenhafen. He was the leader of a cult dedicated to the Ruinous Powers, and he almost performed a horrible ritual with the help of a demon. Uh, we stopped him, thank the gods.

"There were van Haagens in Bogenhafen, but they weren't part of the cult as far as we ever discovered. But it seems Teugen told Etelka something about them in his letters to her that she could use.

"The next part is interesting: so Etelka thinks she can use the bad blood between the Haagens and Onderzoekers to gain control of both houses! That's rather bold. Um, especially since she's trying to control the League at the same time. Hmmm, Jaan van de Kuypers... the head of another of the merchant houses. I wonder what she means by, 'detected something in him?' That he's corrupt? Oh, and the Cathayan Ambassador too - yes, we found that letter she'd started to him, wanting to meet but unsure what excuse to give.

Visited the college as Tessa to register as a wizard. Absurd protectivist laws! Was handed a flier for a student society called the Seekers of the Golden City. Noticed some keywords in the text, so did a count using the number of the L of C. Does appear to be a cult. Good news: if they're stupid enough to reveal themselves, then I can take them over easily.

Attended meeting. As expected, there is an outer and inner circle. Outer circle are gradually inducted to inner. I revealed my knowledge of the mysteries of the L of C, and was welcomed into the inner circle. They are mostly fools: there must be a third layer of membership, since there is some intelligence behind this cult somewhere. It will be someone at the College, like H.S. in Nuln. The Seekers are partly funded by Cathayan embassy. I knew I sensed something about the ambassador. I must obtain an audience with him.

They gave me a book. It is a play written by a prophet of the L of C, and fortells the coming of the Silent Visitor. I dare not read it: to do so is to offer your mind to the Visitor, who is a being from Outside. My mind must remain my own. But I am capable of convincing them that I have read it and am one of them. They will perform the play in public and so call the Visitor to this world. I believe this is foolish, as was Teugen's plan, and will mean their deaths. That is nothing, but I cannot allow them to destroy the city when it is so useful to me.

I have a plan. I will construct an appealing trinket which I will use to subvert the will of one of the Seekers. One of the men would be easiest. I will push him into siezing the leadership, and then together we will expose and destroy the Cathayans and whichever professor of the College is behind the cult. Then they will serve my aims instead. Perhaps I shall send the copies of the book to Tilea, so that the Vistor may come to them instead.

"The next part is about the Seekers of the Golden City. Gosh, look what she wrote: worshipers of 'the L of C!' She means-" Max makes the Sign of the Hammer "- the Changer of Ways, the evil god that most of the cultists we've encountered follow. The Seekers really are a cult, and they're funded by the Cathayan embassy for some reason! Hmmm, she thinks the cult has a hidden leader at the College - she says, 'like H.S. in Nuln.' That was Doktor Schmidt, a cultist who tutored both Etelka and Teugen in dark magic. He's dead now though.

"Oh, now I see why you were so worried about Mortus having the copy of the book, Hans! The play is a summoning ritual for a demonic entity of some kind, and even reading it is dangerous." Max shudders. "Just knowing it's in the room makes me uncomfortable.

"That odd crown we found with the journal is supposed to subvert the mind of whoever wears it, she says. Etelka plans to gain control of the cult - ha, as well as the merchant families and the League! That's an awful lot of work to do at once. It's interesting that she wants to expose the Cathayans' involvement. But then, we've often seen rival groups of cultist battling each other, even though they serve the same god. It seems to be part of the same madness that leads them to evil ways in the first place. Those who think most like them are often their most bitter enemies."

Ralmoris hesitates, and then slams the book down. "The next page is another filthy incantation. I can read no more of this... this human evil! Do they not realise that this is what they want? The western kin!"

"Hmmm, this is probably another spell. Yes, the heading is in the arcane language, beneath the cypher. I can't quite make it out... um, something like 'the infinite eyes of the confluent sage.' Probably best to leave it at that - it sounds odd. What's on the next page? Ah, back to normal entries. 'Attended the next meeting of the Seeker cult, this time looking for a suitable candidate to wear the Sage's Crown. The inner circle are too much under the sway of the cult's leader - who remains unknown to me - and in any case are far too stupid. However, have learned of a new member of the outer circle who seems perfect: a student with radical political views, called Haam Markvalt. He is a leading member in the Vrijbond and New Millenialist groups, and his passionate speeches have bought him a substantial following. Somehow the Seekers have drawn him in. I think he has the force of personality to lead them, once the crown has opened his eyes.'

"The entries aren't dated," Max says, "but it looks to me like a few days passed before the next bit. Um, it's been written in a hurry, I'd say - look how much more untidy the writing is. And the cypher has quite a few mistakes in it. Um, it says: 'Spies report Faithful Hound docked this morning! Klaus's boat... Klaus and his friends. They killed T and HS and thwarted me at Castle W. I have feared this since I arrived in Marienburg. I must remove them quickly! Will hire someone to plant a copy of the play on their boat, then tip off the watch to search them. Will include my Red Crown amulet too to make sure of it. Too much to hope that they will be charged as heretics, but at least this will delay them until I can do more.'

'Klaus tried to contact me at the Red Cock, which is the address I sent to the M.M..' Um, that's the Magister Magistri of the Purple Hand, who we exposed and defeated in Middenheim. We found Etelka's letter among his papers. So of course Klaus knew Etelka would be watching at the Red Cock for news. I'll continue: 'Delfgrubber directed him to the Prince's Rest, where he left a message under some foolish pseudonym. I went to the Red Cock to kill him, but somehow I found myself allowing him to speak to me. The same impulse, perhaps, that made me spare his life at the palace in Nuln. He told me the Red Crown have been destroyed - my former comrades, later turned enemies, gone! Klaus claims to have destroyed them with the aid of his group: the sullen archer, the duplicitous witch, the sanctimonious dwarf, and the ginger runt-' Oh, I say! That's rather rude! But I suppose she's bitter over her defeats! Well, let's read on: -'Afterwards he abandoned the group, stole the wyrdstone comet and defected with it to the Purple Hand. Then, by an amusing twist of fate, he has been sent by the M.M. to negotiate with me. The Hand hold Middenheim and the wyrdstone, while I will soon control Marienburg. The Time of Change will come!

'I do not believe everything Klaus says, since he is as great a liar as I. But the spirit of change is in him. He cast aside the lot life dealt him, and forged a new life, a new identity, for himself. He is a catalyst, an agent of the L of C, one who will help destroy the old world to create the new. He told me what he knows of his former group's plans. When I mentioned the Cathayans and their backward interpretation of the great truths of the L of C, he at once suggested we find a way to set his old friends against them.

'I left him at the Red Cock, an ally for now. Let us see if he is true to his word, or if he will run back to his dwarf and his whipping-boy
-' oh, is that supposed to be me again?"

"Bad lady!" Skwiknibble says.

"She is! And I don't believe Klaus was as enthusiastic as she claims. It's obviously just a scheme to trap her. Klaus is awfully good at that sort of thing, and Etelka isn't half as clever as she thinks. Anyway, here's the last few lines: 'Klaus is to visit Sybo Haan about the Liber Mortis, and is then to find a way into the Cathayan embassy. I gave him the name of the clerk Diaochan as a suitable target, since she is an impressionable young woman. Meanwhile, I have told him I will investigate the New Millenialists for him. He need not know I have already done so. His suggestion that we try to escalate the tensions between the elves and the city is also a good one, though dangerous. We meet tonight at the opera.'

"Well, that's the end of the journal," Max says, putting down his pen.
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #13252 on: June 15, 2016, 05:09:41 PM »
So, that was Etelka's journal in one post, to remind everyone of what was in it.

Which plotline do you all want to investigate now?
If I wanted to.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #13253 on: June 15, 2016, 09:19:43 PM »
I'm feeling like we could investigate the Golden City and Leo Haan's horror basement in one day.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #13254 on: June 15, 2016, 09:41:34 PM »
Agreed. Which would be best for a useless swordsman?

Rufus, question about magic healing: How would it affect Admund? Does it just heal Admund's stiched up cuts and remove pain/bruising? Does it leave behind scars? I'm assuming it doesn't knit bone back together, so my arm isn't fixed. Admund clearly would feel better after healing, but would it just remove flesh wounds and damage?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:43:35 PM by Karl Voss of Averland »
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #13255 on: June 15, 2016, 09:48:17 PM »
Hans will want to investigate the basement first. Undead are his thing. The girl Nadine that I captured with Maarkvalt should be in prison in the watch house. You don't need your sword arm to beat answers about the cult out of her.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #13256 on: June 15, 2016, 10:06:24 PM »
Rufus, question about magic healing: How would it affect Admund? Does it just heal Admund's stiched up cuts and remove pain/bruising? Does it leave behind scars? I'm assuming it doesn't knit bone back together, so my arm isn't fixed. Admund clearly would feel better after healing, but would it just remove flesh wounds and damage?

The rules are vague about this sort of stuff. There are three injury levels:

Lightly wounded = 2 or more wounds remaining. No serious harm. Character will heal naturally over time. The wound stat is described as a buffer before real injury occurs, so as long as you are on 2 or more you are basically fine.

Heavily wounded = 1 or 0 wounds remaining, but hasn't taken a critical hit. Medical treatment required to become 'lightly wounded.' Natural healing will not proceed without treatment.

Severely wounded = 0 wounds and has taken at least one critical. Medical treatment required to avoid dying (probably).

There are additional rules to cover broken/dislocated/amputated(!) limbs. For a broken limb, healing takes d4+1 weeks after successful surgery.

Admund was considered 'lightly wounded' after his surgery. The cure light wounds spell only works on someone who is 'lightly wounded,' so all it does is speed up natural healing. I'd imagine you'd still get scars if you'd have been likely to get them anyway. The spell is a fairly trivial form of healing, though still miraculous.

Admund's arm is definitely still broken. Only a specific, Shallayan-only spell can heal a broken bone!

Oh, and he can use his sword left-handed. The penalty is only -10% to WS!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 10:08:42 PM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #13257 on: June 15, 2016, 10:21:57 PM »
I want to start with the golden city and haan basement, once we've slept.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #13258 on: June 15, 2016, 10:26:38 PM »
You have slept! It's lunchtime on the next day.
If I wanted to.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #13259 on: June 16, 2016, 03:35:41 AM »
Oh, and he can use his sword left-handed. The penalty is only -10% to WS!

I know, but it feels up fluffy! And I loose the use of my shield. Maybe Admund could become a left handed captain America?
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #13260 on: June 16, 2016, 10:21:09 AM »
You can have a larger WS penalty if you like!  :icon_razz:
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #13261 on: June 16, 2016, 04:10:03 PM »
Jaime Lannister style!

Pass the machete.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #13262 on: June 16, 2016, 04:38:06 PM »
Jaime Lannister style!

So Admund needs to become more of a douchebag? I don't want to sleep with my sister!

Incoming brooding and depressed Admund, the broken swordsman!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 06:30:17 PM by Karl Voss of Averland »

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #13263 on: June 17, 2016, 10:35:01 AM »
Looks like i can turn julian into even more of a murdersaurus, although ive slightly confused myself the way ive marked the character sheet.

I think I can add up to 30 more WS, one more Str, 4 more wounds (lol), 10 more dexterity and 1 more attack, in any combation of 5.

Seems a bit unnecesary!
Can I learn scale sheer surface of have I gone too far.

Pass the machete.

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #13264 on: June 17, 2016, 08:41:06 PM »
Who needs two arms to fight!
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #13265 on: June 18, 2016, 12:55:19 PM »
Looks like i can turn julian into even more of a murdersaurus, although ive slightly confused myself the way ive marked the character sheet.

I think I can add up to 30 more WS, one more Str, 4 more wounds (lol), 10 more dexterity and 1 more attack, in any combation of 5.

Seems a bit unnecesary!
Can I learn scale sheer surface of have I gone too far.

You can still learn scale sheer surface. Unlearned skills from past careers are still available to learn. Also, it's appropriate after Julian's house-climb.

Yes, you could improve your stats in some combination of the options you listed. Note that increasing Dex improves his ability to build things and set traps. You could also learn various unnecessary specialist weapon skills.

It probably isn't necessary to upgrade Julian any further, but that's the point we've reached EXPwise. I think the WFRP advancement system breaks down after a while.
If I wanted to.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #13266 on: June 18, 2016, 01:27:44 PM »
There should probably be racial maximums, and it should probably cost more exp to move a stat the higher it is, but it's all good.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #13267 on: June 18, 2016, 01:30:57 PM »
There are a lot of things I'd have changed if I'd known about the problems in advance, but it's too late now!

Is Hans keeping the magic ring? It seems fair.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 02:26:14 PM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #13268 on: June 18, 2016, 06:52:59 PM »
I'll probably do dex, ws, s, attack and scale sheer surface

Pass the machete.

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #13269 on: June 20, 2016, 04:31:43 AM »
Can Admund still wear armor his torso? Just not his arm?

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #13270 on: June 20, 2016, 07:12:22 AM »
I was thinking of giving the ring to Admund or Julian, since Hans isn't as good at chopping. He does have two working arms though, a point in his favour.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #13271 on: June 20, 2016, 09:34:55 AM »
I'll probably do dex, ws, s, attack and scale sheer surface

OK. Are you going to edit your character sheet or do you want me to do it?

Quote from: Karl
Can Admund still wear armor his torso? Just not his arm?

He could wear his breastplate, but I think wearing a heavy, sleeved mail coat would be out. Plus the sleeve will need repair anyway after being hacked.

Quote from: Sig
I was thinking of giving the ring to Admund or Julian, since Hans isn't as good at chopping. He does have two working arms though, a point in his favour.

Not to Julian! He already has two magic items and is ridiculously overpowered!
If I wanted to.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #13272 on: June 20, 2016, 09:50:51 AM »
I guess. That's the point though! Get him to chop even faster.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #13273 on: June 20, 2016, 10:34:47 AM »
I'd rather Hans kept it really! Unless you think he wouldn't use it.
If I wanted to.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #13274 on: June 20, 2016, 10:52:31 AM »
Yeah sure, can do. No issues.