home

Author Topic: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]  (Read 649143 times)

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
Re: Shadows over Bogenhafen: game thread [players only please!]
« Reply #1450 on: August 03, 2012, 01:37:35 PM »
Heinrich will see that the unconscious man is secured aboard ship.

To max he replies:

"No. Come with me."

Heinrich drags Max to wherever Mortus is.

"Mortus, I would like you to please explain to Max why you've been lying about being a wizard."
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1451 on: August 03, 2012, 02:07:58 PM »
Max allows Heinrich to pull him along to where Mortus is. But when he accuses Mortus of being a wizard, Max struggles out of Heinrich's grip and stands protectively in front of her.

"Heinrich, this has to stop! Mortus is not a liar, and I won't stand for you impugning her integrity like this!"
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #1452 on: August 03, 2012, 03:11:10 PM »
Mortus is sitting on the side of the barge with her feet dangling over the edge.   She looks up as Max and Heinrich approach, smiles and pats the deck beside her, inviting them to sit.   When Heinrich issues his accusation she stands up slowly and carefully.   The smile drains off her face.   She reaches out and touches Max on the arm, gently pushing him to one side so that she can look directly at Heinrich.

"Its okay, Max," she says quietly.   She takes out her hip flask and drinks from it slowly.   Her eyes narrow and her entire face hardens.
"I am a wizard, Heinrich?" she says, her voice dripping with the question.   "Why would you say such a thing?"   Her voice is steady but rigid and cold.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:19:28 PM by commandant »

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #1453 on: August 03, 2012, 10:55:45 PM »
"I am not a fool, Mortus. I just want to know why you are hiding it. Are you ashamed of your skills? Are you afraid we will think you a witch like some gaggle of back country goat lovers?"
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 10:59:20 PM by CannonofDoom »

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #1454 on: August 03, 2012, 11:01:58 PM »
"I would not think you are a fool, Heinrich," Mortus says, tiredness creeping into her voice.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #1455 on: August 04, 2012, 04:26:41 AM »
"I would not think you are a fool, Heinrich," Mortus says, tiredness creeping into her voice.

"Good. Now end the lies and let us help you. We are your friends, Mortus, not your enemies. You have nothing to fear from us."

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #1456 on: August 04, 2012, 04:56:05 AM »
"I have told you no lies, Heinrich," Mortus' voice is sharp and her stance rigid.   "I've been sleeping badly, the stuff I've seen has effected me badly.   Sure I haven't been myself much later but can you blame me.   I came to Bogenhafen to try and make money and sure I've made money but I also ran into Chaos and do you think I was expecting that.   Accusing me of hiding things and lying to you is not a good way to make me trust you."   Mortus closes her eyes for a second and then she sighs and turns to Max.

"Have you got that draft, Max?" she asks.   "I'm going to try and get some sleep."

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #1457 on: August 04, 2012, 05:02:49 AM »
"I have told you no lies, Heinrich," Mortus' voice is sharp and her stance rigid.   "I've been sleeping badly, the stuff I've seen has effected me badly.   Sure I haven't been myself much later but can you blame me.   I came to Bogenhafen to try and make money and sure I've made money but I also ran into Chaos and do you think I was expecting that.   Accusing me of hiding things and lying to you is not a good way to make me trust you."   Mortus closes her eyes for a second and then she sighs and turns to Max.

"Have you got that draft, Max?" she asks.   "I'm going to try and get some sleep."

"You're a wizard, Mortus. The evidence is there! I only want to know why you won't admit it. Why are you hiding it?"

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #1458 on: August 04, 2012, 05:10:39 AM »
"Evidence?" Mortus' voice is colder now than before and her speech is almost chipped.   "I've cast magic maybe?   Vacc was a wizard, he could use magic.   You want to talk to him about this not me."

Mortus is holding herself very rigidly, anger flaring in her eyes.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #1459 on: August 04, 2012, 06:43:39 AM »
"Evidence?" Mortus' voice is colder now than before and her speech is almost chipped.   "I've cast magic maybe?   Vacc was a wizard, he could use magic.   You want to talk to him about this not me."

Mortus is holding herself very rigidly, anger flaring in her eyes.

"I don't understand why you insist on hiding it."

Heinrich shakes his head.

"Fine, continue misleading the boy, and keep the others in the dark. You don't make friends through subterfuge, Mortus. You have to give trust to gain it. Remember that."

Heinrich storms off, throwing Max a glance that carries the weight of his disappointment in the boy's gullibility.

Heinrich will place himself on the barge to observe how the halfling navigates, and if possible see if he is willing to teach Heinrich how it is managed (offering to pay for lessons if necessary).

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #1460 on: August 04, 2012, 09:39:11 AM »
[Things Klaus will attempt to do on the travels towards Nuln]

He will tell the others that he has a plan to try to get information from the delirious maybe feverish guy they have on board, he will try to paint one of those crowns on his chest and then sit at his side, whispering to him that he is a friend and ally of Etelka Herzen and that he came to late to speak with her about the plans and that he should tell him as much as possible that his wounds are grave and that he will try to bring him to a surgeon and get him prepped up again but the mission is more important and therefore he has to speak. The others could wait outside should something happen.
(a bit like a priest trying to wriggle informations from a dying man)

He will read up more on the Averland history also trying to get to know more of the lay of the land.

He will try to talk with Billy how he got mistreaded and tell him that Max is a lawyer to be and tell him how he managed to get recompense from the Burgomeister.

He will try to talk to Max telling him that he thinks that Billy was mistreated somehow.

He will drink and smoke with Julian and Ragni to strengthen the bond and play card games with them.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #1461 on: August 04, 2012, 09:41:28 AM »
Heinrich will be watchful and not allow Klaus to be alone with the wounded man.

• Members
« Reply #1462 on: August 04, 2012, 09:43:07 AM »
He can join and sit by if he wants to if he won´t go along with it Klaus will check with the others and wait for Heinrich to sleep and still do it.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #1463 on: August 04, 2012, 09:46:33 AM »
He can join and sit by if he wants to if he won´t go along with it Klaus will check with the others and wait for Heinrich to sleep and still do it.

He's not interfering, he's just making sure you don't murder him.

• Members
« Reply #1464 on: August 04, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »
Then he can feel free to sit by.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1465 on: August 04, 2012, 10:31:18 AM »
Max doesn't notice Heinrich's look of disappointment, since he's too busy asking Mortus if she's OK and generally fussing around her. He gives Mortus the sleeping potion, warning her not to use it too often.

Once everyone is aboard and ready, Billy casts off the lines and sets sail. The Faithful Hound leaves Grissenwald and goes onto the mighty River Reik. The river is almost 200 yards wide here, the banks lined by the dense Reikwald Forest. From time to time, strange things can be glimpsed in the trees.

The Hound is not alone on the river. Dozens of other boats of all sizes can be seen traveling in both directions. Billy pilots the barge expertly, catching the best winds and easily avoiding the occasional rocky islands. Heinrich watches the halfling work, after a while asking him questions about boat-handling. Billy is wary at first, but once he realises that Heinrich respects his skill he is more than willing to teach him.

[keep in mind though that learning non-career skills requires a successful Int test, with failure resulting in the loss of the EXP!]

Klaus comes up with a good plan to get information from the injured bounty hunter the party found in Etelka's tower. Unfortunately, the surgeon gave the man a large dose of sleeping drugs, sufficient to keep him under for a couple of days. There's no chance of waking him until they reach Nuln.

Billy stops the boat at a riverside inn called the Eight-fold Star once the daylight is starting to fade. The party go inside for dinner and a few drinks (and may stay the night at the inn if they don't fancy sleeping on the boat). Klaus starts a card game. Ragni joins in enthusiastically, while drinking very heavily. Billy sits by himself and just drinks.

The next morning, the boat sets sail again. Klaus tries to talk to Billy about his life. Billy isn't interested at first, saying, "I don't need some bald-footed human meddling in my private business." But Klaus persists...

[Klaus Fel test = 26, pass]

...and at last manages to get Billy to talk to him. Billy says he left the Moot hoping to become a famous ship captain, like his ancestor Fred, but found that no one would hire a halfling as anything but a cook. He eventually gave in and became the cook aboard a riverboat sailing between Nuln and Altdorf. While he was working there, he gradually learned how to work a boat for himself, and saved enough money to buy a small barge. He spent the next couple of years as a minor trader and passenger carrier, until he fell foul of a corrupt exciseman in Kemperbad. Billy couldn't afford to pay the bribe the exciseman demanded, and so his boat was confiscated. When he went to the authorities in Kemperbad, the exciseman accused him of smuggling. Billy was flogged in the town square. After that, he's struggled to make a living as a deckhand... but he refuses to be a cook, ever again.

Klaus talks to Max about Billy's story. Max is of course outraged, and swears in Verena's name that he'll try to do something about it if they ever go to Kemperbad.

By noon that day, the Faithful Hound approaches Nuln, the jewel of the Reik: the second-greatest city in The Empire.

[continues]
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1466 on: August 04, 2012, 10:32:57 AM »
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1467 on: August 04, 2012, 11:07:01 AM »

Billy sails the barge to the southern docks. There is a mooring fee of 5 crowns, which has to be paid immediately. The party then look for a buyer for their cargo of coal.

[Cargo = coal, 37000 units, paid 3690 crowns.

demand = trade buying constant*3d6 = 6*11=66% chance + 30% for major trade centre = 96% chance of demand. Dice roll = 56, pass, buyer found.

Buyer estimates value of cargo: estimate test = 29, pass. Estimate to within 5% of value. Estimate = 5600 crowns. Random factor = 6, +15% = 6440. Bargain test (Klaus's Fel) = 94, fail. No further increase.

Profit = 2750 crowns!

1% sales tax on the transaction = 27.5 crowns
5 crown mooring fee
30 crowns for 2 days work by Billy

Net profit = 2693 crowns]

[continues]
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1468 on: August 04, 2012, 11:23:08 AM »
A huge, multi-decked riverboat towers over the other vessels in the busy docks. Max recognizes it, "That's the Emperor Wilhelm," he says, "it goes between Altdorf and Nuln. I traveled on it when I first came to Nuln four years ago - father sent me on the Emperor Luitpold from Bechafen to Altorf, then on the Wilhelm... that was a wonderful journey! It was so kind of father to pay my fare."

The boat is flying the flag of Middenheim, and it soon becomes clear why. Accompanied by a fanfare of trumpets, a regiment of knights in full armour, decked with panther furs, disembarks from the Emperor Wilhelm. They are followed by a group of richly-dressed nobles. At the centre of the group is a hunched, sad-looking man dressed in black. Walking just behind him is a taller, younger man, and a stunningly-beautiful young woman. There's a clear family resemblance between the three.

"That's Graf Boris Todbringer, the Elector Count of Middenheim!" someone nearby says, "Looks like he's still in mourning for his wife... and that must be the princess Katarina! She's even more beautiful than people say."

"They must be here for one of Countess Emmanuelle's parties," someone else says, "though I can't imagine the graf doing much celebrating."
If I wanted to.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1469 on: August 04, 2012, 11:33:50 AM »
Max is thrilled to be back in Nuln. "I love this city! Have any of you been here before?"

"Not me, kid" Ragni says, "I bet the boss has though, right boss?" he nudges Julian. "this looks like a pretty good place, for a human city... I bet dwarfs built all the good bits, right boss!"

"I can show you around," Max says, "where shall we go first? Maybe the cathedral of Sigmar to see Father Anton? Or I could show you Magnus College! Shall we stay at my place while we're here? It's not very big I'm afraid... would an inn be better? I know a few good ones. Would you like to see the sights? There are so many famous buildings to see." Max is practically jumping up and down with enthusiasm.

Billy morosely says that he'll stay with the boat.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 11:51:00 AM by rufus sparkfire »
If I wanted to.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #1470 on: August 04, 2012, 11:41:28 AM »
"Nonsense! You'll stay with us. I think your piloting easily earned you a 50 crown bonus (Heinrich will pay this out of his share of the cargo profits).

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #1471 on: August 04, 2012, 11:54:54 AM »
Billy is taken aback by Heinrich's generosity. He accepts the money, trying not to look too eager, and shakes Heinrich's hand gratefully. "You're a good mate," he says, "I'd be honored to go with you. Watch out for pickpockets, everyone. This city is full of thieves... like all human cities."
If I wanted to.

• Members
« Reply #1472 on: August 04, 2012, 01:47:41 PM »
Klaus inhales several breaths of the city....a habit he has entering big cities from the very first day he left the farmstead of his family. The stench of a city crammed with people always is sweet as honey for him as it is the smell of opportunity.
"I would say we should find a suitable inn with a seperate room for everyone. We could split up and first bring our guest to a surgeon and as soon he is stable enough bring him to Father Anton and talk with him how to best proceed to find our new friends at the Magnus College, I would love you to show us the wonders of the city after that...like the famous bridge that is a wonder in the whole Empire."

Klaus also wonders if there is a way to join in that party of the Countess.

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #1473 on: August 04, 2012, 04:10:21 PM »
"I would quite like to see Magnus college," Mortus says almost shyly.   "And you should inform your professors that you are back."

Mortus has kept to herself for the entire trip to Nuln, not leaving her room that often except to eat and when she has left her room she just sat at the front of the barge with her legs dangling over the side staring at the water.
She has been having nightmares again and not taking the sleeping drug, there are even heavier bags under her eyes, though it does not seem that she is soaked in brandy, maybe her hip flask is empty.
She keeps remembering Vacc's death, the flames licking around his body, his face melting off the bone, his screams, but now she often sees her face instead of his staring at her from the fire.   She hugs herself when this happens and rocks gently swearing to herself that her 'friends' are not like Vacc's 'friends'.   
She is also eating less and is quiet at the few meals that she does not manage to eat alone.   She will deflect any of Max's questions, claiming nightmares.
At some point during the trip she will seek out Klaus.   She walked up to him quite nervously.
"There is something I want to talk with you about," she says.    "I would like to get Max something small, he has been a wonderful friend and I need to repay him for this necklace but I have no idea what it should be.   Have you any suggestions?"

• Members
« Reply #1474 on: August 04, 2012, 06:32:24 PM »
"Oh....Mortus how interesting. Well Max talks a lot about you and that present he got for you, I could only admire such great taste....and it looks fantastic on you if I may say so. If you want to get him something in return....hmmm I would first need to know how you think about him. More like a close friend...sort of a brother, or more like in a " Klaus tries to say it in a non slippery way but might fail at that "romantically inclined way?"