home

Author Topic: ✠ [Army Blog] The Grand Order of the Reiksguard: 2018 - Imperial Herald(s)  (Read 117198 times)

Offline Army of Hochland

• Members
Re: [Army Blog] The Grand Order of the Reiksguard: 2017 - Back in Action
« Reply #200 on: February 13, 2017, 10:44:42 AM »
YES, YES, YES!!!!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #201 on: February 14, 2017, 04:59:29 AM »
Looking great victor, as always. I assume your photo posting issue is fixed?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #202 on: February 14, 2017, 11:23:53 AM »
Thanks guys!  :smile2:

Looking great victor, as always. I assume your photo posting issue is fixed?

I haven't tried since, but it took me ages to post these 6 photos. I had to split them up in 3 seperate posts, because it would not work otherwise. Even when I tried to edit one of these posts, it took ages for the server to respond.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #203 on: February 14, 2017, 03:34:59 PM »
Classic Warhammer dude !!! love your work
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #204 on: February 23, 2017, 01:42:09 PM »
This is seriously one of the best looking armies that I've ever seen. Sweet, merciful Sigmar, this is beyond awesome. And that Warrior Priest - he is incredible. You sir, are a true artist. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #205 on: July 01, 2017, 10:54:27 PM »
Thanks!  :happy:

So ... as some of you are aware already, photobucket.com is basically not usable anymore and so all my old pictures are currently more or less unavailable. I have started to upload some of them to another host and changed the links, but this is all time consuming and will take me some time.

For those who don't know the old stuff and are curious, you can (probably/maybe) look through my photobucket album for now (I will delete that soon, because the site is a bad joke): http://s928.photobucket.com/user/Victor_86/library/Warhammer?sort=3&page=1

But back on topic!

I have finally found the motivation to paint some of my warmachines (I didn't enjoy it though). These are no masterpieces (especially because I had to do a rescue paint job on 2 of them), but I managed to take some nice photos I think.

Canon #1

Canon #2

Both cannons are plastic models with the metal gun crews from 4th/5th edition of warhammer. As the (inner) barrel diameter of the plastic cannon is too big by default, I have made it a bit smaller with greenstuff which makes the cannon look more massive and realistic I think (the plastic mortar is terrible for the same reason).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 09:33:57 AM by Victor »

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
Re: [Army Blog] The Grand Order of the Reiksguard: 2017 - Artillery Battery
« Reply #206 on: July 01, 2017, 11:03:31 PM »
Mortar #1

Hellblaster Volleygun #1

Technicus Otto Seipl

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #207 on: July 01, 2017, 11:55:12 PM »
And a group shot of the artillery battery - more warmachines will be added (eventually  :closed-eyes:):

I have also uploaded a high resolution photo of the greatsword unit:

Click the photos or open them in a new tab to see the bigger version.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 11:57:51 PM by Victor »

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #208 on: July 02, 2017, 03:10:51 AM »
Great stuff! and, so glad you are staying the course.

That engineer cracks me up every time I see it. The poor sod on the ground is supposed to keep the gun stable while somebody is stepping on him! a warhammer moment.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline RE.Lee

• Members
  • Imperial trauma surgeon
« Reply #209 on: July 02, 2017, 09:27:51 AM »
Great work - your Greatswords are among the best units out there! Don't let photobucket bring you down, they'll suffer for what they've done  :ph34r:
cheers,
Lee

Offline Sergeant Henry

• Members
  • Koblenz / Germany
« Reply #210 on: July 02, 2017, 09:41:03 AM »
Awesome! :-o :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Very fine artillery and greatswords!  :eusa_clap:
Are the paintings on the standards freehands? The standards looking great!  :eusa_clap:

Edit: Oh, I'm sorry! I read your post about the standards later!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 02:08:46 PM by Sergeant Henry »

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #211 on: July 02, 2017, 09:58:03 AM »
If they are no master pieces, what do your master pieces look like?
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #212 on: July 02, 2017, 01:18:28 PM »

I will let you know when I finally produce one. If I would invest (even) more time and would use better equipment (and not colours that dried out like 3 years ago etc.), I feel like I could produce better results. I'm never fully satisfied with my work, but there is so much else that requires painting, that I have to say "enough!" after some time and move on.

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #213 on: July 02, 2017, 08:50:59 PM »
Your artillery crew look great, Im getting inspired to paint mine finally  :::cheers:::
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #214 on: July 03, 2017, 11:11:18 AM »

I second that. These models are insanely good looking! :ph34r:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Rogers Kul

• Members
« Reply #215 on: July 03, 2017, 11:20:52 AM »
Wow!! awesome clean painting (and good photos!)

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #216 on: July 06, 2017, 12:18:25 AM »
Great job on those models. They have a very 'lived in' look :::cheers:::

Offline Drakenhof

• Members
« Reply #217 on: July 17, 2017, 10:41:04 AM »
Congratulations on these models man, good choice of palette and clean painting, the standards are brutal  :ph34r: what's next?

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
Time for threadomancy once again. Last year has been very rough and spare time was almost non existant. Next year will be just the same, but now and then I get to spend an hour or two on the hobby. As usal I work on 10 things at once which means nothing really gets done, or so it seems. But I have some finished things or close to finished - pictures will follow soon, I hope.

For now I have some WIP pictures: What do you do, when you have 2 big units of greatwords already? That is right - you start a new one! This time I wanted to have a go at the old 4./5. Edition greatswords, which you very rarely see. It will be a smaller unit this time around and I will most likely paint them as Averlanders with the good old Marius Leitdorf on horse in the center with his bodyguards around him.

Sadly there are only 3 Greatword variants (and the one with the wavy blade - the flamberge - isn't that good looking)  and also non of the old captain models fit the unit. To get some variaty for the front rank at least and a proper captain/champion, I did some conversions. I have used 2 pairs of armoured legs from White Knight that fit the miniatures very well. On the following pictures you can see the original models on the left and the right side and the 4 conversions in the middle.

Once painted, these should look pretty cool - or at least that is the plan.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
WHOA  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Cool, minimalistic and very finely done conversions!

For variety, I'd focus on a face or two. Hard work, but you (or rather, me) usually recognize the face, and when the same two faces keep alternating on the front rank, the effect of conversion work elswhere isn't that obvious. These models have quite broad faces/foreheads, so maybe a careful thinning and then some GS work on the nose would change the face enough. Perhaps just a repositioning of the feathers would do the trick?

I find the Flammberge pose is nice. If only the sword is a problem, maybe change the sword blade?

None of this is meant as criticism. I think your GS skills are excellent, and you could achieve even more variety.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
Thanks for the input Zygmund! I definitely appreciate that. The final decision hasn't been made here regarding the conversions. This will be a rather small unit though with Marius as unit filler in the middle. The front rank will only have 5-6 models in this case and the standard bearer and musician are different models anway, so it shouldn't look too bad either way. (The drummer has already recieved the same  "half armour" or "munition armour" with green stuff to better fit with the other miniatures.)

I find the Flammberge pose is nice. If only the sword is a problem, maybe change the sword blade?

The pose is alright, but the sword is rubbish. Changing the blade is not so easy, but I might do it for one guy for the front rank. But there is plenty of time to think about all that some more (as there will be no time to actually continue any time soon ... sounds paradox).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 10:30:00 PM by Victor »

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
great conversions. that is some slick green-stuffing. glad to see this project continues. even just a little bit of hobby is good for one's mind & soul.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
I'm really impressed with your GS skills. These are definitely great looking minis. Can't wait to see them painted. :blush:

Gneisenau

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
Re: [Army Blog] The Grand Order of the Reiksguard: 2018 - Imperial Herald(s)
« Reply #224 on: August 16, 2018, 01:58:54 AM »
I have got something special today! Photos first, short explanation afterwards.

Imperial Herald, Baron Gregor von Willersbach

Imperial Pursuivant with the Imperial Banner

Imperial Pursuivant and Guardsman

Imperial Herald with his retinue

The idea for this 'unit' started, when I got the Imperial Herald GW miniature - the one with the banner and trumpet. When looking at Front Rank Miniatures I found quite similar looking heralds in their War of the Roses miniature range and bought them too. After doing some conversion work on the mounted FR herald, I kept him as such and 'demoted' the other two to his assistants - so called pursuivants. Because heralds are not allowed (or meant) to carry arms, I have added a guardsman with a greatsword, who is there to help, should things get ugly. This miniature is also from Front Rank but has recieved a GW head and sword.

Heralds had a variety of duties and where ambassadors of their Lords and the first diplomats. Having such an ambassador of the Emperor join the battlefield together with the Imperial flag would have a positive effect on the army I thought. I never liked the models of the wizard wagons but liked the rules and their buff effect to units around them. So I thought, why not just use the rules and do your own thing. So yes, this will be my first "wizard wagon":

The plan is to have a movement tray with the appropriate size and leave slots for the 4 miniatures and fill up the rest of the space to give a coherent look to the whole thing. I want the miniatures to be removable though. And before someone asks again: the eagles were done again using my little cheat - mostly anyway.

:smile2:

- Victor