home

Author Topic: Fantastic new Empire Militia/Mercenaries/Soldiers  (Read 4104 times)

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
Fantastic new Empire Militia/Mercenaries/Soldiers
« on: February 16, 2021, 01:59:09 AM »
Found these fantastic WIP pictures of some new 3D models by https://reptilianoverlords.com/ today. They are so good, they deserve their own thread! The models will be sold digitally, but I hope some people get a commercial license of some sort and start selling some physical copies.

The pictures can be found on Instagram. Here is a link to a site that let's you view the Instagram posts without needing the App: https://gramho.com/profile/reptilianminis/6991194402

Here are 2 pictures as a teaser - If you can not see them, try to open the link above in another browser (I have the same problem with Firefox atm).

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 01:36:10 AM by Victor »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Fantastic new Empire Militia/Mercenaries
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2021, 03:27:47 AM »
They look like pirates, I like the bottom one, the top two not as much.  There is something bulbous about them that seems to come out with digital sculpts sometimes.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 04:19:49 PM »
I suspect they'd look great once printed at the right scale. I find the digitial renders always look weirder then they turn out to be. All 3 looks awesome.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2021, 05:11:22 PM »
They look like pirates, I like the bottom one, the top two not as much.  There is something bulbous about them that seems to come out with digital sculpts sometimes.

It really is difficult to judge what the miniature will look like 'in the flesh' based on 3D renders. In December I received some (physical) miniatures from a recent kickstarter. The miniatures were digitally designed and looked great on the 3D renders, but it turned out that they were actually too detailed, which does not translate well to the physical copies! On the other hand, many other 3D models that I have seen look way to bulky. It seems like you really have to hit the sweet spot and these designs here might just do that.

What I also find promising is, that he is modelling them with the old Warhammer kit in mind. He posted a short video of GW parts attached to a test print of a body and it works. Also this will probably not be sold as a full kit, but as sets of individual parts.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 08:34:45 PM by Victor »

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 02:06:26 AM »
They look great. Its just the cutlass that makes it look piratey.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2021, 11:59:35 AM »
What I also find promising is, that he is modelling them with the old Warhammer kit in mind. He posted a short video of GW parts attached to a test print of a body and it works. Also this will probably not be sold as a full kit, but as sets of individual parts.

You can actually tell this is very GW based even from the models themselves. That cutlass is 99% the one from the militia set, if not identical. The other sword is the same, 99% the one from the Bretonnian archers. Torso on the right is 99% militia kit again, legs on the left almost Empire cannon crew and even the stance of the legs on the hero looking guy is 99% the same as the other set of legs from the Empire cannon crew...

They look really promising and will fit in seamlessly alongside GW minis.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 03:02:32 PM »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 03:51:09 PM »
Quite the variety.  Have they set up a site for selling these things? Might have missed that somehow.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 05:35:21 PM »
You know, I've always tried to keep all my stuff GW only so far, but these guys are really REALLY tempting me to change that habit. They look pretty awesome. Especially good vibes from the helmeted heads...

Also on a side-note, is it just me or do all heads without hats tend to be bald!? It's really hard to find bare heads that have normal looking hair that's not some sort of wildman, sci-fi gangster or mohawk emblazoned chaotic bloke...

Anyway I digress - these lot are A1+ :::cheers:::

If anybody does invest in some of these I'd love to see some pics of the real article rather than the 3D renders, especially how they interact with the GW minis...

**EDIT** Actually I've just looked on the links at the top of this thread and there's a few more previews and test prints for these guys, it all looks fantastic!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 05:49:48 PM by Jmash »

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 01:24:05 AM »
Printed examples:

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 08:57:48 PM »
Does anybody know where these are/ will be available in physical form?

I don't have a 3d printer and no intention of getting one but these guys are definitely looking like a tasty prospect, thinking I might like to get me some.

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 11:10:10 AM »
These are spot on! I would love to get a bunch of these (no printer as well).
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 09:23:48 PM »
These have recently shown up on my FB newsfeed and there's some comments on there about the same thing. Apparently the creators are looking into it but there's a LOT of bits, so selling pre-printed sets would likely be quite expensive so they've not offered it just yet.

I really hope there will be a way to get these in physical form from somewhere though, they've already said there will be more to come in this range too, these are only set 1...

They really are right on the money and just the ticket I think for creating some Border Prince mercs under Lietpold the Black!

Aaargh I need a way to get me these! :biggriin:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2021, 02:38:56 AM »
I do wonder if those printed samples have been cleaned. They are excellent quality.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2021, 12:58:03 AM »
I did some searching, but could not find anyone who is selling printed miniatures yet.

I did find a picture of some printed examples by someone else:
(I can't see the picture on Firefox - if you have the same problem, try another browser)

I'm frankly amazed by the quality of the prints - the printer that was used apparently costs ~350-400$. Is there no one who wants to buy one and print some miniatures for the rest of us?  :engel:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2021, 02:27:01 AM »
What's the name of the printer? :icon_wink:

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2021, 04:18:59 PM »
I will have a look. :icon_lol:

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2021, 04:57:21 PM »

I'm frankly amazed by the quality of the prints - the printer that was used apparently costs ~350-400$. Is there no one who wants to buy one and print some miniatures for the rest of us?  :engel:

You're right, these look great! Fingers crossed somebody obtains rights to sell some printed versions to the rest of us who don't own 3D printers!

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2021, 02:00:51 AM »
Some new previews of the next set(s) can be found on facebook (... I hate that site): https://www.facebook.com/pg/reptilianminis/posts/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2021, 12:29:57 PM »
What's the name of the printer? :icon_wink:
This one, apparently: https://phrozen3d.com/products/sonic-mini-4k-resin-3d-printer-phrozen

:-D
I will have a look. :icon_lol:
So I took a look at their website ... anyone know anything about this company?  Seems like they have different printers for different sizes of stuff.  Think when I have nothing better else to do, need to do some research on 3D printers for the future.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2021, 12:49:39 PM »
So ... I flipped on youtube for a morning dose of video, and voila!

This video shows there's more to 3D printing than meets the eye ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTUhHnlZ6-8

And so has begun my 3D printer education. :icon_lol:

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2021, 02:32:38 PM »
That's the main Problem I have with 3D printing so far - it probably takes quite some time to familiarize yourself with the technology and also some tinkering to get good/great results. I simply don't have the time for that.

Offline Jmash

• Members
  • Lancashire, UK
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2021, 04:15:31 PM »
I genuinely worry that our beloved hobby will eventually start to move into that sort of realm... On the one had it might be really good in terms of less waste from sprues but the time, expense and expertise is a big drawback.

Just you wait for the Citadel branded 3d printers to be rolling off the shelves :-P

Offline Captain Dob Van Dwi

• Members
  • Just jiven'
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2021, 12:49:42 AM »
Reptile truly put out some good stuff. I've considered their stuff for a while. 

Oh if only I had a printer...
I choose too keep "Old Warhammer" alive with my blood sweat and tears.

It's bad that warhammer might die but it would be a tragedy if it stays dead!