home

Author Topic: Darknight's Knights (Dark and Otherwise) - Thread Superseded!!!  (Read 110423 times)

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
Re: Darknight's Knights (Dark and Otherwise)
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2011, 05:07:03 PM »
Actually I was thinking about using them on my Greek successors, and I have tonnes of Greek bits already.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2011, 12:21:01 AM »
Did a fair bit of gluing and sticking, but haven't taken photographs of it (it's all a bit random, although I might have some pics of my unit of College Knights tomorrow ... I seem to be able to muster the interest to covert, but not paint.)

However, I did dig out an old model (I don't even know what manufacturer it is) I had painted years ago. She was stuck on a 25mm square base, with a molded metal base as part of the figure and was painted with a green dress. She had a sort of magical staff in one hand. So, a bit of careful conversion work and she gets a hoplon and a spear (pictures at the top) and then she gets a new color on her dress (pictures at the bottom). Click for larger image.

She's a Warrior Priestess of Myrmidia (in her aspect as the topler of the columns, hence the maltese cross) and will have a bodyguard unit of Amazon hoplites. But that is a LOT of shields to greenstuff laurels on . . .
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Erik Von Karlson

• Members
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2011, 01:44:19 AM »
Don't greenstuff laurels onto the rest have it be an elite thing only.
My Middenland Army: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=37453.0

There is no facepalm that can fully illustrate the state of mind I am currently in...

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2011, 02:04:07 AM »
I thought about doing that, but every single member of the order has a laurel on it somewhere (usually on the helmets, although some have them elsewhere). I have a bunch of heavy-armor swordswomen who are going to have hoplite shields with the maltese cross and have the laurel pieces (from the Empire Knight sprue) elsewhere.

The "Temple Guard" (which is what the hoplites will be) on the War Altar have the laurels on the shields, so it would have to be a different sort of "Temple Guard" .... ultimately, it is going to be easier to greenstuff 'em than try to find the bitz and have a non uniform looking army. It only takes ten minutes (tops) to sculpt the laurels.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2011, 03:39:10 AM »
I've finished putting together one of my College Knights - these are a unit of eight knights, each themed after one of the colleges of magic. This is the Celestial Knight (click for larger image);

The others are coming along, but are not finished yet.

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2011, 01:30:58 PM »
That is excellent.  :::cheers:::

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2011, 08:29:23 PM »
Glad you like it, Patsy! I think it has just the right sort of "freaking crazy" needed for Warhammer - dude has a flail which is an orrery.

I have now completed another two of these guys (the whole unit has been "almost finished" for a long time!); Bright and Grey Colleges. I also added a tiny moon orbitting one of the planets, using a smaller piece of chain. Again, click for larger images;

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2011, 09:14:19 PM »
I think it has just the right sort of "freaking crazy" needed for Warhammer - dude has a flail which is an orrery.

I love your uncompromising interpretations of WH. Great work! 

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2011, 02:02:06 AM »
In my opinion, Warhammer is all about the crazy. Otherwise, it is just GELF (Generic Extremely Low Fantasy). It needs (as was said for Dreadfleet) beautiful mutant mermaid piratesses cutting off their own fishtail legs and replacing them with swordfish blades.

It doesn't get any more Warhammer than that.

So, here are all-but-one of the rest of the College Knights (the one missing is the Life Order Knight, who is based on the Albion Truthsayer model mounted on an unarmoured Elven steed and the unarmored Elven steed as a centaur with the Bretonnian heart-in-a-box piece as decoration ). I am nicknaming this unit the "... your argument is invalid" unit; we have already seen the Celestial Knight ("My flail is an orrery - your argument is invalid"), the Bright Knight ("My horse has a horse on its head carrying a key - your argument is invalid"; although perhaps this should be "Yo dawg I herd you liked horses and keys ....") and the Grey Knight ("I am Don Quixote - your argument is invalid").

And now we have ... (click for larger pics);

"My hat is a totem pole - your argument is invalid"  (This model still needs greenstuff work)

"My eagle has two heads - your argument is invalid" (This model still needs greenstuff work)

"I am a Warhammer model legitimately covered in skulls - your argument is invalid"
(I need the small hourglass piece from the plastic Empire Wizard kit - if anyone would like to sell or trade, I am most agreeable to such things!)

"My entire ensemble is a snake - your argument is invalid"

And here is the full unit as it stands currently;
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 02:56:23 AM by Darknight »

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2011, 05:30:06 AM »
Your models are completely over the top.

I love them!
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2011, 02:24:28 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2011, 02:42:21 PM »
excellent work, keep it up. please post after painting, take your time and do the fantastic paint job that these excellent conversions deserve. steveb

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2011, 08:17:01 PM »
"My hat is a totem pole - your argument is invalid"

I wish that one day, I will get to say that to someone. And mean it.

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2011, 10:01:37 PM »
Looks very funky, in a good way :wink:
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2011, 10:40:54 PM »
Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys - it is great to have such comments from such good painters. I hope my painting doesn't let these models down!

Offline patsy02

• Members
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 10:21:11 PM »
I had to check back one more time. This is still brilliant.  :::cheers:::

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2011, 12:06:46 AM »
I'm so pleased you like them!

I bought a couple of buttons to make shields with designs on, and need to do greenstuff to finish them off (and need to work on the Life Knight Centaur).

I repeat my earlier request; does anyone have the little hourglass piece from the Battle Wizard sprue? I can pay :)

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2011, 10:59:09 AM »
very cool unit! and great conversions

I'm guessing the two headed eagle guy is Metal? If so I don't quite see the connection to metal, sorry. Perhaps the two headed eagle works better as an illusion?
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2011, 12:43:55 PM »
I'm guessing the two headed eagle guy is Metal? If so I don't quite see the connection to metal, sorry. Perhaps the two headed eagle works better as an illusion?

Symbol of the Lore of Metal is the eagle, and he is heavily armored with a forge hammer. The Gold Wizards always work with the Engineers to make odd mechanical things . . .

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2011, 01:32:29 PM »
Symbol of the Lore of Metal is the eagle,

ahh, I didn't knew that! It makes sence now, thanks for explaining! :biggriin:
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2011, 01:41:04 PM »
It is in the old (IIRC) 6th ed Empire Army Book; there is a whole section on the Lores and what their symbols are etc. They are strange, in many ways - Light has the snake, Grey Order is the sword (which I just remembered - I've given the model the arrow which is some other order . . . need to correct that!)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2011, 03:11:18 AM »
Been very busy with making tiny props for a cat stuffed toy for a colleague, and baking a Christmas cake, and with the hardware at work crashing so I haven't had much time for modelling etc. although I have been working on the College Knights. I do intend to enter the monthly painting contest with my general if I can get him finished over the next couple of weeks (what is the closing date? Some time in January?)

Anyway ... as the new Warhammer appears to be all about THE HORDE!!!!11one (the horde is the new skullz?) and I had a very old model lurking in my figure case being unfinished which could be converted into a Warrior Priestess, I grabbed some bitz and some green stuff and spent a pleasant evening getting superglue on my fingers while my wife advised a friend of ours on family problems and ate good steak in a Belgian restaurant.

Meh. You're only here for the pics; converted Warrior Priestess with greatweapon to accompany the greatswords, a new counts-as Count's Champion for the Greatswords, and a couple of Greatsword conversions - boosts the unit to 23 Greatswords and a Warrior Priestess. Not quite a horde, but growing - I have an Ogre I can use as a unit filler if I want. Click for larger image;

The Count's Champion is based on the old Korhil model - it has a nice Grecco feel to it with the skirt and the greaves etc. Used an old Soldiers of the Empire head I had primed blue (I've got a fair few of those bitz lurking around). The model for the Warrior Priestess is from some company I don't know - I'd converted her to be carrying a greatsword across her back to represent a Werewolf RPG NPC years ago; she was modelled wearing a fluffy shirt and skinny jeans with boots. I've modelled some bootops on her, smoothed out her thighs and given her a skirt to match the other priestess. I'll paint her legs as bare flesh.

All the models have small shield "icons" on them - the greatswords have them from the Bretonnian sprues, while hers is a round Middenheimer icon with the wolf filed off. As part of my fluff, all the members of the Order have a shield with the Melite Cross (Maltese cross with a skull in the middle on it) and a laurel wreath. For models without a shield as part of their equipment, it is a symbolic icon (so, Greatswords and this girl). I need to go back and add itty-bitty icons to each of the Greatswords and the huntresses.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2011, 03:13:03 AM »
I absolutely have to simply knuckle down and PAINT something .... I have always found it much easier (in terms of motivation) to assemble and convert models than paint them ... I need to finish off the details on about 12 Greatswords (their icons) and paint 3 Greatswords, a Priestess on foot and six regular Knights and then I will have a bunch of completed units which will allow me to take an army picture and go, "Look! I am not lame!"

But that is not happening right now - my desk is covered in shavings of metal and plastic and there is blood and greenstuff superglued to my fingers.

See this thread http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=40072.0 for the details of my War Altar and behold below for work on my mounted priestess (click for larger pic);

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2011, 04:10:50 AM »
I absolutely have to simply knuckle down and PAINT something .... I have always found it much easier (in terms of motivation) to assemble and convert models than paint them

my desk is covered in shavings of metal and plastic and there is blood and greenstuff superglued to my fingers.

I am quite nearly exactly in the same boat as you my friend.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline The Village Idiot

• Members
  • Empire GT Winner
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2011, 04:25:53 AM »
But that is not happening right now - my desk is covered in shavings of metal and plastic and there is blood and greenstuff superglued to my fingers.

I too always seem to put a little part of "me" into my projects. Your conversions are awesome...keep 'em coming!

TVI
Quickly everyone, chant the Canticle of the Battalion Concept. Maybe we can convert him!
-Rufus Sparkfire, Imperial Scrivener