home

Author Topic: Paint recommendations, UK, for a beginner.  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Paint recommendations, UK, for a beginner.
« on: October 20, 2011, 10:42:10 PM »
So, I finally convinved my bro to get some models.

And now he needs paint, obviously. But I told him not to bother with GW as it is more expensive for the same quality, apart from perhaps the foundation paints.

Do other ranges have more pigment heavy types of paint like the foundation paint?

Is there a type of paint he needs to avoid? ie acryclic, enamel, whatever.

Should he just get a vallejo starter set?
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
Re: Paint recommendations, UK, for a beginner.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 11:16:54 PM »
The P3 line by Privateer Press is a high pigment set, which started to really bite into GW's paint sales and really caused them to kickstart the foundation line.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline Orcslayer

• Members
  • I salute you
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 12:09:37 AM »
WALMART generic paint all the way!  :biggriin:
W/D/L with new army book: 30/15/20

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 12:42:20 AM »
I believe one of the two Reaper paint lines is high pigment. I have only just started buying their paint to try out, so I can't tell you for sure.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 01:05:55 AM »
I believe one of the two Reaper paint lines is high pigment. I have only just started buying their paint to try out, so I can't tell you for sure.

I believe you're thinking of Reaper Master Series.

The P3 line by Privateer Press is a high pigment set, which started to really bite into GW's paint sales and really caused them to kickstart the foundation line.

I just decided to give P3 a second chance and picked up an orange to replace a Vallejo color. The first bottle I tried was their give-away "Brass Balls" which I later heard was one of their worst paints. (Sort of a dumb choice to give away as a promo & convert people to your brand!)

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 05:36:29 AM »
WALMART generic paint all the way!  :biggriin:

Once you use a really high quality acrylic, you really begin to despise the Walmart cheapos. I still use them for Terrain, but I cannot use them for minis. In fact, one of the better painters at our local store used only Walmart cheapies, until I let him borrow my paints. The coverage was so good, and it sped up his painting so much, he also hasn't been able to go back to the crappy acrylics in the craft aisle. They're just ... rougher.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 05:48:53 AM »
I use a mix of miniatures paints and craft paints. The things to keep in mind with the craft paints are:

- Each band is different.

- Certain colors will be better than others.

My personal preference (here in the US) is for the "Americana" brand. But even then, I usually use black, whites, greys, some browns, some greens (dark greens and olive & avocado colors) and one very dark red. Also the base color for my human flesh. So mostly the "earthy" colors. I use one or two "Ceramcoat" & "Folk Art" paints, but I don't think their coverage seems as good.

But for metalics and most bright primary & secondary colors (and various shades) and all those great washes, I go with hobby/miniatures brands.

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 06:07:58 AM »
Reaper's high pigment line is called Master series HD (High density). (The normal line is Master series Core colours).

I have one HD paint (Ivory tusk). First impression is that it's density is not as high as GW's foundation paints. Also, it is a bit "slimy" in it's consistensy.

But I'm also really just starting to try them out.

Offline scarletsquig

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 09:32:04 AM »
TBH, I'd just stick with GW when just starting out.

They do have some paint sets that aren't a terribly bad deal.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 01:20:14 AM »
should you not just go to an art shop and buy acrylic paints there?

Offline Wendersnaven

• Members
  • Kung Fu Dice
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2011, 04:25:26 AM »
So how about washes?  Are there any particular brands you guys recommend over others?

I've just been inking my guys but now that I'm starting over fresh I want to give the washes a go.
Dear Friend of Stirland,

Your shoes have been put on backorder. We appreciate your custom.

Hope we are finding you shod,
Stirland

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2011, 05:04:55 AM »
So how about washes?  Are there any particular brands you guys recommend over others?

I've just been inking my guys but now that I'm starting over fresh I want to give the washes a go.

GW's new washes are actually very good.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 05:25:48 AM »
I agree -- the GW washes are a GREAT product. I only wish they came in larger (much larger) containers!

I wouldn't recommend that, especially for a beginner.

Offline Aza

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 08:41:45 AM »
Apart from the GW Foundationpaints, I use Vallejo all the way.
Bought both their fantasy aswell as normal range.

The normal range adds way more variaties that imho fit with an Empire army, as in more normal colors.
You have a choice of like 6 different greens and the same for the other normal colors.
"The purpose of War is not to die for your country but to make sure the other bastard does..."

-General Patton-

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 01:56:24 PM »
I would suggest that you find some painted figures that have paint jobs that you like and ask the painter what kind he uses, and also find some that you dont like the look of the paint and ask also what kind it may help you find what you want and also what you dont want. steveb

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 08:38:43 PM »
If he's starting out he won't notice any difference from Vallejo to GW. You can get by on GW foundations, washes, and maybe a few colours on the side if needed.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Maza

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 11:12:49 AM »
If I understand it correctly, Reaper has three washes (Flesh, Black, Brown). I have tried the brown one, and my impression is that it's not as translucent as a GW wash, resulting in a very dirty look.

I think the question in part depends on what undercoat will be used. If black, GW's foundation range will be hard to work around. If white, it would probably not matter just as much. (For some reason, I think it is "appropriate" that a beginner should start with a white undercoat - but I'm probably just a moralist  :ph34r:).

Offline Zoring

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 02:10:01 PM »
I think GW's paints are probably one of their very few products that are still worth it. I use mainly those, and a few Vallejo on the side.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 02:16:17 PM »
I agree -- the GW washes are a GREAT product. I only wish they came in larger (much larger) containers!

I wouldn't recommend that, especially for a beginner.

Oh why in general and why for a  beginner?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 03:31:06 PM »

I think the biggest reason is paint consistency. Even many experienced painters have problems with this. At least hobby paints will get them most of the way there.

Hobby paints also have some other advantages. There are far more color choices, which means less mixing of paints to get the colors they want. Many times they can pick out a base color, shade and highlight, which makes it even easier. At least several companies directly market their paints in that way (Reaper & Foundry come to mind.) Then there are the specialty items, like the washes. Washes can be replicated to a certain extent, but even after many years of experience, experimentation and trial & error (and internet research) I've still not been able to brew up a wash that is as good as the GW washes.

Between those options, it's not just a matter of quality of application of the paint, it's a matter of time. You can easily double or triple the time spent painting if you're constantly thinning & mixing paints.

This may be personal preference, but I don't care for the finish of most artists' paints on figures, once they're dry. This has less to do with the completed project (as you can always spray Dullcote or similar products) but has more to do with layering further paint on top of previous layers if it has a glossy or "plastic" like finish.

Those are the reasons that first come to mind.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 04:20:42 PM »
I think GW's paints are probably one of their very few products that are still worth it.

That's why you will be hanging out on the Kings of War forum more no doubt...   :closed-eyes:

I mostly use Foundation paints and GW washes with lots of water to great effect - nothing beats it IMO.

I add colors from most brands to complement it, GWs, Vallejo, P3 and some Foundry.

My hood is my castle...

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 05:11:34 PM »
Citadel Foundation Set and Washes have seen me through most things.
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.