home

Author Topic: The new detachment rules  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Elarti

• Members
The new detachment rules
« on: April 10, 2012, 07:43:18 AM »
Just re-reading the new detachment rules, and two things jumped out at me, thought I'd ask for opinions.

First, characters seem to be able to join detachments, with no penalties - the detachment retain their detachment status.

Secondly, and this is the one I want to be wrong, it states that detachments cannot be taken without Regimental units. Given the Militia states they have only the detachment rule, I can see some people not allowing them as an independant unit - as they 'can't be taken without a Regimental unit'.

I know that the Militia can take command, so this is a non-issue, but it would be nice to have that in the FAQ, just to combat the idiocy of some tournament goers.

Thoughts?
Playing in Perth Western Australia? Look me up, I'll be at TGA

Offline Calisson

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • From Druchii.net
Re: The new detachment rules
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 08:12:57 AM »
Secondly, and this is the one I want to be wrong, it states that detachments cannot be taken without Regimental units. Given the Militia states they have only the detachment rule, I can see some people not allowing them as an independant unit - as they 'can't be taken without a Regimental unit'.
Read again p30, left column.
The "detachment" rule means that the unit may become a detachment.
If the unit is deployed as a detachment, then it must abide with p30, right column, and have a Regimental unit.

Offline Elarti

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 08:16:55 AM »
Yep, pretty much as I thought... Mushy brain syndrome. Still, the first point is somewhat useful...
Playing in Perth Western Australia? Look me up, I'll be at TGA

Offline Porkix

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 11:37:54 AM »
Which characters would you put in a detachment then? a wizard? a witchhunter? Because it would be silly to put a captain or WP as you don't pass hatred or hold the line to the main unit?

Do we still have supporting fire? Witch hunter with supporting fire?

Porkix

Offline Arfa

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 11:59:06 AM »
Which characters would you put in a detachment then? a wizard? a witchhunter? Because it would be silly to put a captain or WP as you don't pass hatred or hold the line to the main unit?

Do we still have supporting fire? Witch hunter with supporting fire?

Porkix

I think its less about the abilities you pass on (lets face it your parent unit will most likely have them anyway) and more about the high strength attacks winging around and smashing you on a countercharge or an engineer sitting in the support detachment of handgunners letting rip with whatever gun he has. For poo's and chuckles you could even run a detachment with a front rank of nothing but characters and if your parent unit is getting its hatred from an altar rather than a priest they'd be rocking in with hatred. Expensive, but potentially lulzworthy.

Arfa

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 12:19:53 PM »
Would characters in a detachment get hatred?

Other characters in the Priest's unit don't get hatred.

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 12:21:02 PM »
Nope I donīt think so.

Offline Arfa

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 12:26:54 PM »
Not from a priest I wouldnt think but from a War Altar sure. It gives hatred to everything, no mention of it not applying to characters.

Arfa