home

Author Topic: The Road to Volganof (update 7Sep2023 - Swordsmen & priest)  (Read 140770 times)

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
The Road to Volganof (update 7Sep2023 - Swordsmen & priest)
« on: March 29, 2014, 05:51:44 AM »
One of my favorite Warhammer moments was opening up that four page spread in the then new 8th edition BRB and being in awe of the massive battle at the walls of this “lesser-known” Empire city. In a nutshell: In the year 2515 a massive Chaos invasion threatens Ostland (what’s new?) and it culminates in the attack on the city of Volganov.  I’ve long dreamed of re-playing this battle but there is the minor detail of the massive scale and of course it takes two to tango. Now I’ve found a partner-in-crime for the Chaos side and this blog will chronicle the long (certainly bumpy and potentially windy) road towards playing this battle from the Empire perspective. Eventually there will be a companion blog for the Chaos side (LINK TO BE ADDED). Will we make it? Men much madder than us have succeeded in their endeavors, just look around this section of the forum. But I don’t have a blow dryer so who knows.

This blog will help me get organized; I welcome any and all comments, criticism, words of encouragement or wisdom. Eventually, there will be lots of (rather mediocre) painting to see and lots of kit-bashing, maybe some of it useful as inspiration. All this mixed in with random thoughts and musings about how to approach this project and Empire models in general.

Before I lose my readership with more rambling, let’s get started:
Units from different provinces came to the defense of Volganov. Here is Captain Rudolf, the fearless leader of Rudolf’s Rudel, a Halberdier regiment from Nordland.

...and some close-ups of back rankers that I like to think worked out well.

I really like the "ugliest mug" contest going on in the last picture :biggriin: The guy on the left clearly lost but the other two are strong contenders...

I’ll leave it at that for now. Cheers. Naitsabes.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2023, 07:08:31 AM by Naitsabes »
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
Re: The Road to Volganov
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 05:52:15 AM »
last update 29Aug2015
BOLD = required
GREEN = ready to go
RED  = anything from still on the store shelf to primed and halfway painted

Volganov City Guard (3000pts)
Oleg von Raukov
Sergov Pfeiffer (Lv1 Fire)

Klaus Solmann (Lv4 Heaven)
Baron von Blutten

Captain Schwarzhelb
60 Stalwart Bulls (Greatswords)
30 Gryphon Guard A
30 Gryphon Guard B
40 Reinforcement Spearmen

40 Reinforcement Halberdiers
40 Reinforcement Swordsmen
2 Steam Tanks
17 Knights of the Golden Griffon
Captain of the Golden Griffon

3x 10 Crossbowman
3x 10 Handgunner

2 Priests
2 Captains
2 Battle Wizards (Lv2)
40 City Halberdiers

40 City Spearmen
Hurricanum
Helblaster Volley Gun
Engineer

Artillery of Volganov (1500pts)
Kannonmeister Gunther Trundlekopf (Engineer)
Ol' Puddings (Cannon)
Spinning Bertha (Helblaster)

5 cannons
2 Mortars[/color]
4 cannons
1 Mortars

Ostland
30 Kludburgh Militia
20 Volgar's Shadomen (Huntsmen)
Volgar (Captain)

50 Flagellants of the Forest of Shadow
50 Scarlet Curs (Halberdiers)
Vasili von Raukov

Other Provinces
Volkman (Captain)
50 "Bechafen" Halberdiers
30 "Blackhats of Talabheim" (Swordsmen)

Altlangen Contingent (Captain + 1000pts core + 500pts special)
Baron Beckdorf[/color]
2x 10 Handgunner
31 Spearmen
30 Swordsmen
6 Knights (FC)
6 Knights (musician)
24 Altlanger Greatswords+FC+Standard of Disciplin
12 Swordsmen (Detachment)
5 Pistoliers (music+champ+repeater)

Relief Column (1500pts mounted)
Kurt Helborg
Ludvig Schwartzhelm
45 1st Reiksguard

45 2nd Reiksguard
Valmir von Raukov
Raukov Battle Standard
[/color]
color=red]10 Raukov Household Knights[/color]
6 Knights
3 Demigryph Knights

3 Demigryph Knights
2 Pegasus Captain
Pegasus Captain
6 Outriders
5 Pistoliers
Luminark
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 05:17:54 AM by Naitsabes »

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 05:52:36 AM »
reserved for armylist

Offline Ad A Dglgmut

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 01:52:49 PM »
I love the color scheme and how varied it is and how light in color it is without being all white.  I also like how you used the 6th edition handgunners to make halberdiers.  I don't think I've ever seen that done before.  One thing that bugs me though is some are holding their halberds with the blade backwards.  It doesn't really matter in the end, but it looks a bit odd (especially on the one looking like he is about to swing it).

That aside, I look forward to your future updates!
Usually I have a female mage holding my Rod of Power   :-D

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 02:11:26 PM »
very nice love the color combinations keep up the good work sir  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Members
  • Imperial Liberal
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 10:30:38 PM »
I agree, great colors! Nice work!  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 12:24:20 AM »
Always love watching an army grow into epic proportions.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 09:38:07 PM »
well, yes, the plan is to end up with epic proportions indeed! I am starting from ~10K of finished models but not all is usable in the Volganov list (looks sadly at the Griffon rider).

I love the color scheme and how varied it is and how light in color it is without being all white.  I also like how you used the 6th edition handgunners to make halberdiers.  I don't think I've ever seen that done before.  One thing that bugs me though is some are holding their halberds with the blade backwards.  It doesn't really matter in the end, but it looks a bit odd (especially on the one looking like he is about to swing it).

That aside, I look forward to your future updates!
I will not claim coming up with the handgunner to halberdier idea, more than likely I saw it on this forum. This place is full of good stuff like that. It's a very useful conversion to fill out units on a budget. The backward blade is a keen observation. I shall claim they are getting ready to unhorse knights...isn't that what these hooks were supposedly for?

okay then, the Great Muster begins. I’ve started compiling the Army list (see above). I do have quite a few painted Empire models. But, at this point not a single one in Ostland black-white. The Volganov City Guard proper should certainly be in that color but, I decided to change the Ferlangen Contingent into an Altlangen Contingent (Altlangen, the Altdorf exclave a little bit up the Talabec River, ruled by Baron Beckdorff, I am sure you’ve heard of it). This way I get to field a lot of my current models. Now, these guys start the game way out in the field near the city gallows surrounded by the vast Chaos horde. And, it’s 1500pts of core/special with no character except for one Captain. In other words, they are in deep trouble. As such I thought this model with the defiant ‘angry fist in the air’ pose would be fitting for Baron Beckdorff (not sure why my younger self painted the sword in this weird rust tone).

Here is most of the contingent. Baron Beckdorff will lead the infamous Altlanger Greatswords and I have no doubt they will valiantly stand their ground to the last man. Not so sure about the rest of the gang. Steadfast or not Ld7 will only last so long.

Two of the better Greatsword conversion. The current goldswords just lack a little bit of armor for my taste.

Life in the back rank: Here they were just having a nice swig from the bottle when Bobo opened the flask then nice cloaked stranger gave him last night…

And a close up on some knights. These are “Gamezone” horses, I really like them. They are metal and come with huge gaps so takes a little bit of work but well worth it.

Thanks for your interest and kind words. Cheers. Naitsabes

p.s. anybody have a suggestion how to make the hundreds of shields with the Ostland bull? I have done some minor castings of tidbits but I wouldn't even know what to start from. Rumor has it there is a Bretonian shield with a bull, does anyone have a picture? or better idea?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 09:42:10 PM by Naitsabes »

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 10:42:03 PM »
Like this:

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 10:49:44 PM »
well yes! I have two arms and two legs, how many shields will that get me?

Offline Hoodling

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 02:30:48 AM »
I salute your noble (and mad) intentions. The Volganov stuff was definitely the highlight in the big rulebook.

Depending on how involved this is going to be, it might be worth your while setting up an actual blogger or wordpress blog so you can keep it all together and better control how it's presented. Would let your Chaos counterpart contribute to the same place too if you wanted.

Just a thought. Keep painting!

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 08:46:19 AM »
As a fellow Ostlander I am very excited about this blog and will follow with interest!
The shield Shadespyre showed is indeed the infamous OOP bretonnian bull shield. It's not very easy to find.
But if you do, try to get some instant mold* and make simple green stuff copies of it. It's what I've done for my swordsmen and once painted you can't tell the difference between the real deal and the copies.

* don't buy actual instant mold, go on ebay and search for oyumaru, it's the same thing only that the hobby stores charge about four to five times more for it.
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 06:07:52 PM »
I have just one of these, but I'm happy to send it or a mold made from it if that'll get the job done for you?

I'm making the shields for my vampire army like this, it's time consuming but definitely plausible :)

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 08:55:09 AM »
I salute your noble (and mad) intentions. The Volganov stuff was definitely the highlight in the big rulebook.

Depending on how involved this is going to be, it might be worth your while setting up an actual blogger or wordpress blog so you can keep it all together and better control how it's presented. Would let your Chaos counterpart contribute to the same place too if you wanted.

Just a thought. Keep painting!
wow, Mr. Hoodling, Sir! I really enjoyed your manly-sized games and the way you present them to the world, certainly a big inspiration. I had thought about a standalone blog but I think I get more interest and feedback here. I mean it's not like I am setting up the Battle of the Gates of Kislev :wink:  will definitely revisit the blog idea when I have more content.

Commander Bernhardt, at this point I am really only a Ostland wannabe (although I did paint my first Ostland model, see below). I do have instant mold. Sort of a rite of passage for a certain generation of empire players to make a mold from a certain hip armor piece  :icon_smile:

I have just one of these, but I'm happy to send it or a mold made from it if that'll get the job done for you?

I'm making the shields for my vampire army like this, it's time consuming but definitely plausible :)
Are you sure you would want to ship that valuable shield across the ocean? I'd love to have it here, make some molds and then send it back to you (along with some thank you bits if I have anything Empire-related you are interested in). That would be really awesome!

..and here is my first Volganov Defender (born and raised in that very place):

I am not too happy with the paint job, white and black are really not too amenable to my typical copious use of washes and glazes. maybe I get the hang of it.  any wise words of advice (preferably not containing "layering", "blending" or other scary stuff)

EDIT: looks like this gentleman: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=47345.25 has found a supplier for a slightly different shield. interesting!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:20:36 AM by Naitsabes »

Offline Irishzero

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2014, 01:50:15 PM »
As a fellow Ostlander I think it looks good. You have a more "used look" in your ostland scheme, like it alot. Think my own style is more crisp and gives the impression of a new uniform. Anyways really like this thread so far:) :::cheers:::

Offline Hoodling

• Members
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2014, 11:37:51 PM »
You might not be super-happy with that guy, but if you can produce an entire army to that standard, I would have said you were doing very well indeed.

Offline -SaH-

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 08:23:13 AM »
Nice collection, but the regiment from Nordland - they are stunningly! Beautiful colour scheme!
You are very good in bright colours!

Wish You the best in fullfilling this plan ! :)
To fight Chaos on the battlefields, not to grow rich and fat in the golden halls of the capital, that is the purpose of our Cult! - Boomed Luthor's voice at the Council

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
Re: The Road to Volganov (update 8Apr, cannons)
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 04:48:09 AM »
Hey everyone!

thanks for your interest and encouraging words.

Here is my first cannon+crew.

I suppose that’s technically the first complete unit in Ostland colors. I am slowly warming up to the black-white scheme. I am using mostly P3 colors and overall I am pretty happy with them but, it turns out the white isn’t all that great. It took 3-4 coats to get the cannon all gleaming and that’s 2-3 coats too many considering the bricks of state troopers in my future. I suppose I should get one of these uber-pigment GW paints. Would that do it?

While we are looking at cannons, here are a (slightly fuzzy) cannon and helblaster from Nordland bolstering the defences of Volganov.

The Helblaster might be small and old but it’s mean!

Gamewise, I can put warmachines into the City Guard proper as well as the Artillery contingent. Since I can’t take engineers in the latter this seems like the place for the regular cannons while the helblasters and their babysitters come out of the regular army budget.

upward and onward!!

EDIT: how do I modify the title of the thread? would like to add some 'update note'
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 05:27:03 AM by Naitsabes »

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2014, 07:06:45 AM »
nice work!

you can edit the title of the thread by editting the first posts subject line
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline The Ol Perfesser

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2014, 09:43:57 AM »
 :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Never make predictions, especially about the future.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 11:24:30 AM »
Some classically good stuff here! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 10:42:01 PM »
nice work!

you can edit the title of the thread by editting the first posts subject line

hah, I learned something new today!

also, getting a little drunk on all the beverages here  :::cheers:::

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Members
  • Imperial Liberal
Re: The Road to Volganov (update 8Apr2014 - cannons 'n' friends)
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2014, 12:28:55 AM »
 :::cheers::: Drink one on me too!
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

Offline Lateksimajava

• Members
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 09:29:53 AM »
I like your cannon crew a lot! Also great kitbashing with the halberdiers. Looking forward to see some more!

Offline klunc

• Members
  • from Space Australia
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 11:52:19 AM »
For the shields, check out Durloth's blog here - http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=47345.100

He had found a chap in the UK who was doing the Bull shields, Hayter Minifigures - http://www.facebook.com/HayterMinifigures

I have since contacted the same guy to get some for my project. His price I believe is 45 pence a shield, so it's much cheaper than buying bretonnian ones off ebay.

Hoping that's helpful!