home

Author Topic: Cav-heavy list - which wizard?  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Shoganai

• Members
Cav-heavy list - which wizard?
« on: November 07, 2012, 08:37:03 AM »
I'm trying to put together an army with a heavy focus on cavalry, but also including steam tank(s) and some artillery. Pointwise I play anything between 1000-2500. However, I'm a bit unsure as to how I can make my wizard effective in such as list. The best choice seems to be to put him on a warhorse, but since there's no such model yet I'm out of luck unless someone knows of an easy conversion (I would want to use empire models, not bret./high elf or from other companies).

On foot seems too slow, and mounted on a griffon too limiting (only one lore to choose from). I'm therefore considering using the Balthazar Gelt model, either as himself or as a Wizard Lord on pegasus. It seems like people don't like the pegasus option though....could this be because he doesn't really fit in the infantry-heavy army most use, or is it simply a bad choice? I play very little all-corners, so my opponents would be mainly O&G, Chaos, VC, Skaven and Dark Elf...which means not too many cannons etc.

Another question: If i were to go for the Gelt model, would it be easy to swap parts from the Wizard kit without any cutting/green stuff neccessary?

Thanks in advance for any feedback  :smile2:

Offline Cecil

• Members
Re: Cav-heavy list - which wizard?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 08:52:39 AM »
Heaven's. Either mounted or at foot. Heaven's have pretty good range on the spells. Have been very successful with both.

The augment spells benefit mounted lists especially good. Go crazy! :)

Offline Ludwig von Blucher

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 10:24:43 AM »
Gelt is awesome, Metal's not ideal for an all cav list but it's not bad at all. With Gelt it becomes great. He is basically one piece though and would need conveting to another lore. Metal also gives flaming attacks, good against Hydras, Hell Pits, Terrorgeists

I run a list with a lot of white wolves and lore of beasts works well for them, it makes full use of the lore attribute. I use the model from the Griffon as my figure.

If you're not after a fun game, lore of life is good, especially to heal up the steam tank(s) and resurrect expensive knights. Dwellers also slaughters O&G, Skaven, VC (low strength big units) Chaos (no 3+ ward saves for you!) and DEs, low strength.

As for the others, Light and Shadow are always good. Fire could give you the fire power you lack, good for dealing with skirmishers, monsters, etc.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 11:42:05 AM »
Beasts rocks. Wyssans on knights at reduced cost csn't be bad...
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline KarlvonAbiheim

• Members
  • More beards, more pointy hats
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 11:49:41 AM »
Ebay is your friend.  :icon_biggrin:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Wargames-RolePlaying-/16486/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=mounted+wizard

Loads of OOP options here, from £8-12. Easy to paint-strip metal ones, some undercoated.

A couple of tasty Thyrus Gorman models, some that look like Death, Life, Shadow... you could easily paint some (like Gorman) with metalics to look like Gold Wizards, or Life wizards in browns to look like Beast wizards.
Im Himmel gibt's kein bier, d'rum trinken wir es hier

Offline Krokz

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 11:53:14 AM »
Lv4 Heavens for Harmonic convergence bubble. Iceshard warmachines. Put it on a mount, give him Van Hortsmann's Speculum and add him to your big cavalry unit.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 01:24:55 PM »
I like Light and Life for my cavalry lists.  Flesh is a fantastic spell and your steam tank is great for taking the extra wounds.  Timewarp is super fantastic.

A wizard on pegasus isn't a terrible idea, he's very maneuverable.  Just expensive.

Offline BBorN

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 06:21:16 PM »
Coven of light not a bad idea ;) I10 knights and ASF is scary...suck out dispel dice with double banishment then slap those two spells onto your knights...gravy!
It's not the size of the Herdstone it's how you use it

Offline TheElectorCount43

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 08:50:51 PM »
imo, light
makes them fast and move further which means you can get into combat faster

or, life
to regrowth those expensive knights or stanks

Offline zakalwe

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 11:20:13 PM »
I have always ran a fire wiz with my cav, Normally lvl 1 or 2 for fireball. Fills that Long range fire power niche.

Beasts, light metal and death are all pretty good at low lvl, 1-2. as support.

My other wizards tended to be scroll caddies, to dispel the nasty spells until i got into combat and won magically dominance by skewering enemy wizards. ( easier said then done ).

Offline eriktheguy

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 06:41:09 AM »
I like heavens.

Convergence to reroll armor saves. Curse to reroll enemy 6's on killing blow.  Good magic missiles for the fliers and skirmishers that a cav list has trouble hitting. Comet is always great. Iceshard to stop artillery that threatens horsies.

Offline Joey_Boy

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 09:17:51 AM »
lvl4 Life with earthing rod on a pony is really great for cav armys.

You can mount him up in a big cav unit and keep him in the second rank. That way your main unit will have two buffs available to them. The regeneration for the unit and flesh to stone, this is really a nice bonus as you can boost both the unit he is with and another unit. Your also a little more flexible when picking your spells as you don't need to swap a double for Flesh to Stone if you don't have it as standard on your 4 rolls.

You also have a great saturation for the lore attribute as your in a tanky unit with 2-3 other characters. Add in regrowth to keep the demigryphs and STank up and running and if you really need it you can always dweller people. I did this with HE running two combat characters with a lvl4 in the second rank and they did smash things up really well. And normally I dropped dwellers for earthblood, Flesh to Stone, Throne and regrowth as they are all so great in a cav army. Sure you lack ranged damage in the magic phase but you make up for it with insane durability for your units and the ability to heal them and the characters when needed making it extremely easy to conserve points.     

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 10:35:15 AM »
Light or Heavens are the best for a cav heavy army if you intend to buff.

Fire/Shadow are great if you need a bit of punch (fire only against T3 armies).
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline csjarrat

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 04:29:40 AM »
You can go a number of ways tbh, either use magic to counter your weaknesses (low numbers) so go with life to res models and boost toughness. Use it to buff strengths, light is good for combat buffs.
Or use it to bring something new to the list, like ranged damage (fire) character sniping (death).
They're all viable mate, have fun testing them!
Compared to the state troops they are a gentle handjob on a friday evening - jaggedjimmyj in ref to knights

Offline Shoganai

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2012, 12:42:21 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback :) I'll try to find a model which can be used as a wizard mounted on a warhorse then. When it comes to magic lore I'll try light, heavens and life first, but it's great to see all the different views on which lore to use.