home

Author Topic: Finding ...  (Read 2141 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Finding ...
« on: January 31, 2016, 02:03:09 AM »
Finding ... ???

... my last Devlan Mud!

I was painting Greek Hoplites.  A little ways back, I was using Devlan Mud to provide a coat of wash over the primer of a dozen of these figures for two units to be used as Greek Mercenaries for a Late Achaemenid Persian army for Impetus.  Luckily, I had just enough to cover each one to an equal extent.  And I discovered that on a light gray, it made an interesting less than metalic, yet still a bronze look.  So I kept the edges of the sheilds, the armor, the helmets, and the grieves that color.  But as I provided more paint, it wasn't looking quite good enough, yet I had no more Devlan Mud to strike a stonger tone to what had already been done.  Meanwhile, there were another dozen hoplites that needed doing, and I used a black wash over them, which of course then required a different paint to be used to obtain a metalic look for the bronze, in this case, Coat d'arms Bronze.  This provides a shinier look than the Devlan Mud, yet I didnt' want to ruin the look achieved on the first dozen hoplites.

Then the other day, when sorting through another box of paints purchased as GW was changing it's line of paints, I found my last paint pot of Devlan Mud!  Today I have been going back over those first dozen hoplites and using the rediscovered Devlan Mud, and I am so grateful that my last paint pot of Devlan Mud has been found because it is definitely making an improvement to the look of their bronze.  Although it will be a bummer when this wash is used up, having it to finish this project is a wonderful joy.

So have you had any similar such experiences with the hobby?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Finding ...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 02:40:09 AM »
I bought a huge amount of the inks as they discontinued them, so hopefully not going to have the issue for sometime.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 05:22:37 AM »
Flesh wash and chestnut ink were two of my favorites. Didn't have the foresight to stock up, though.

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 07:48:34 AM »
Flesh wash and chestnut ink were two of my favorites. Didn't have the foresight to stock up, though.

Flesh wash is sorely missed; Reikland fleshtone a poor substitute.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 10:05:23 AM »
I still have two bottles of the old Flesh Wash left (flip top "bolter shell" bottles) and one more of the previous Sepia.

I really wish I had stocked up on the Delvan Mud, too. I'm down to the last few drops in my last bottle. The new Earthshade or whatever it's called is not even close. At one point I had learned the dark art of mixing up my own "Delvan Mud-ish", but I don't remember the exact alchemy. I think I have an idea (burnt umber, Future, Reaper anti-shine...) but would have to experiment a little.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 12:54:26 PM »
My last paint pot of the old Flesh Wash is currently down to 3/4s.  Also, I have one Chestnut, Brown, Black, Yellow, and Magenta ink remaining, too.

Then I have some of the washes they provided after that ... 1 each of Thraka Green, Asurman Blue, and Leviathan Purple, 1 1/4 of Gryphonne Sepia, 1 3/4 Baal Red, and 2 1/2 of Badab Black.  I've used Agrax Earthshade, and actually have 1 3/4 of it, and it's ok, but not close to the same Devlan Mud.  I recently purchased Seraphim Sepia to give it a try.  I've seen Reikland Flesh, and it just doesn't look good.

I've been using Secret Weapon's Flesh Wash instead on historical figures, and saving my last old GW Flesh Wash for Empire figures.  The Secret Weapon Soft Black has a bit too shiny of an appearance for me, although it can work on some things, and I'm probably going to try others made by them as well.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 01:05:23 PM by GamesPoet »

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 01:12:33 PM »
Perhaps you should consider it an opportunity to look for cheaper (non-GW) alternatives.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline red shift

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 02:08:46 PM »
The difficulty I have in truro is there are no other hobby shops for something like forty miles and due to an eu rule paints have to be courier delivered so anything other than gw is expensive!

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 03:00:38 PM »
I could be mistaken, but, as far as I know, there is no such EU rule. However, the EU is often automatically blamed for any burocratic inconvenience (especially in the UK), even if it is just the result of a national or even company rule.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2016, 05:05:13 PM »
Isn't Agrax (Sp?) Earthshade pretty close to Devlan Mud?

I've had another type of "finding" towards the end of the past year. Instead of Tallarn Flesh, I started to mix the fleshtone from dark (wine) red and pale yellow. Very good results, and very easy to get individual hues and tones. Very good skin.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 03:44:49 AM »
Perhaps you should consider it an opportunity to look for cheaper (non-GW) alternatives.

This could be an excellent opportunity to start a post on effective substitutes.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 03:40:13 PM »
Good idea for the Brush & Palette area! :::cheers:::