home

Author Topic: Burn down the forest.  (Read 831 times)

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
Burn down the forest.
« on: January 31, 2024, 01:30:49 AM »
Hypothetical 1250pt Wood Elf List.

Glade Lord 135
Forest Dragon 275
Befuddlement of Mischiefs 30 (-1 WS and -1 I to a unit in base contact)
Lamentation of Despairs 20 (Enemies within 6" are -1 Ld when testing for Fear/Panic/Terror)
Spear of Twilight 65 (AP -2, Killing Blow, always wounds on 3+)
Merciw's Locus 35 (The user and models attacking it can't use weapons to boost their strength)

18 Eternal Guard, shields, full command, 267

14 Glade Guard, Swiftshiver Shards (multiple shots 2) 182

Treeman 215 Murder of Spites 25 (unit in base contact.takes d3 S2 hits at the start of combat)

How would you beat this? Assume the wood elf player hides their army behind their free 12" wood.
Don't hug me I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Burn down the forest.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 10:12:04 PM »
I've heard flying monster mounts and Wood Elfs are broken in this edition. So you're bringing the worst the game has to offer.

I guess we can politely agree that you've proven the point, and then go build 1250pts lists that are actually fun to play with AND against.  :-)

-Z
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 10:17:03 PM by Zygmund »
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 12:02:09 AM »
I'm disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any answer at all.

I had a vague idea about using a level 4 illusionist with the Mace of Helsturm as a monster hunter. You're fishing for Spectral Doppelganger, but you can mitigate that with a Lore Familiar.

I just can't get around the Elf Lords Strike First and Killing Blow.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2024, 11:08:32 AM »
Bring a list with 10 level 1 wizards against this list and straight up murderise that lord on a dragon with magic missiles.

Offline Wolfgang aus Wien

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2024, 12:08:23 PM »
Bring a list with 10 level 1 wizards against this list and straight up murderise that lord on a dragon with magic missiles.
Something like that.
I don't have the books yet, but since WHtOW seems to play similar to 5th edition (except magic), I'll go with my experience from that time.
5 Doom Divers (or equivalent) and constant barrage on the Lord/Dragon from turn 1, line of sight unnecessary.
Add spell after spell after spell, as commandant suggested.
Ignore the other troops completely, the probably won't do much, anyway.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2024, 12:17:19 PM »
So I played out an opening turn against this list. I would have played more but my daughter got in the way.

The first thing I noticed is that this only has 3 drops which meant after my archers, free company and artillery were on the field the wood elves were deployed which let me place my inner circle knights, state troops and characters where I wanted.

The second thing I noticed is that this list has no magic defense at all. My peggy captain with his ruby ring of ruin and my peggy mage are both looking for combat with those two infantry units.

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 01:36:32 AM »
Can flying units enter difficult terrain in this edition? For tournaments wood elves were always expected to provide their own free forest. It's perfectly possible to deploy 1250 points of wood elves entirely within a 10" diameter circle, such that no part of the army can be seen from outside the wood.

I'm not sure that's an optimal strategy, I'm not a wood elf player, but it's possible and conceivable that someone would do so to avoid shooting/combat.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 09:55:22 AM »
True but the helstorm rocket battery doesn't need line of sight

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2024, 07:54:55 PM »
How should this army want to deploy?

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2024, 04:42:37 AM »
How should this army want to deploy?

My initial suggestion would be most of the army deploys in or.behind the free wood. Obviously if you're running this army you'll have brought either a 12" diameter forest or a shallower 12" long forest.

The basic strategy is to refuse engagement with the troops and treeman - they are there to deny points and if someone pushes troops up to engage them, engage on favourable terms.

The dragon is intended to hedge hop forward, picking engagements it knows it can win. Look to charge detachments/small units in turn 2, ideally punching through the opponent's front line and then wreaking havoc in his back line.

It's not a friendly list.

Grenzstadt stands.