home

Author Topic: Lots of empire stuff on Last Chance to Buy  (Read 5919 times)

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
Lots of empire stuff on Last Chance to Buy
« on: August 02, 2019, 11:30:49 PM »
Hi folks.

Just  a quick heads up - a lot of old Warhammer kits are getting squashed (that time again), thought I'd raise the alarm.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Warhammer?N=647457687+3155674414&Nr=AND%28sku.siteId%3AGB_gw%2Cproduct.locale%3Aen_GB_gw%29&Nrs=collection%28%29%2Frecord%5Bproduct.startDate+<%3D+1564792080000+and+product.endDate+>%3D+1564792080000%5D

the empire captain, huntsmen, war altar and most of the finecast characters. Also a lot of the WE, HE and dwarf range. Sad times!
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
Re: Lots of empire stuff on Last Chance to Buy
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 11:50:50 PM »
Ye like they just wanna kill Fantasy it seems like. Cause for other factions a lot of basic units are going too, like Clan Warriors for dwarves, which even have round bases already

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 11:51:27 PM »
And what is being taken off the market seems a bit random too! Multipart kit General goes, but the single pose two hander captain stays

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 01:59:05 AM »
How disappointing. Even getting rid of the huntsmen!  Total bunk. :icon_eek: :icon_sad:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 11:04:55 AM »
I have to admit disappointment at the dwarf culling. There goes most of my dwarf contingent and I was thinking of converting my elf army but I’ll leave them wfb until the new CoS comes out. Not that I can at the moment, do any work but I would hold on all empire stuff at the moment. I can safely convert the night goblins to the gloomspite easily enough.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 11:10:57 AM »
My guess is the dwarves will be reboxed in sets of 10.

Not sure why the huntsmen went up though. Or the skycutter or lion chariots.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 11:22:03 AM »
Can dwarves go into units of 10? I thought they came on sprues of 4 each. My guess is what doesn't fit the desired aesthetic by GW is just going and will be replaced or ignored

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 11:51:58 AM »
Can dwarves go into units of 10? I thought they came on sprues of 4 each. My guess is what doesn't fit the desired aesthetic by GW is just going and will be replaced or ignored

They can't. I am 99% sure none of this is coming back. The stuff that might get the rebasing treatment would be the greatswords and statetroops, since they are on the cover of the book, yet they haven't gone.

Got most of the empire stuff I wanted, but the dragon princes, loremaster and chariots going away makes me sad. Even more so, as I've made a big HE order a month ago but my FLGS dropped the ball and forgot to go through with it. 

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 12:03:15 PM »
Ye I feel like the stuff that they are dropping now is just gonna be gone. Why would they put rebased kits on last chance to buy if they wouldn't get rid of em. Meanwhile rebasing I can imagine they will do with no big deal around it when the pre-order for the book goes live. They already come with round bases, so all they will have to do is take out the squares n change the box

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 01:19:09 PM »
It is amazing to me how much stuff is selling off so fast this morning, just in the few hours since seeing this today.

Going to have to go to some local stores and pick up a few boxes before this all goes gone.  The old aesthetic is disappearing.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 12:56:04 AM »
I was beginning to think they were going to find a way to get these older models into AOS like these have done with other armies like Chaos. Some of these I may have eventually bought after I got all my required ones. Like burning a hole in my pocket items. Guess that door is closing.

I am so glad I got into WFB when I did mid last year. It was easier to buy some things then than it has been lately. Had I try to do it now I probably wouldn’t have even tried to get all that I have.

They even made new trees. Which are prob better than the old Citadel Wood ones, but I love the old ones, and took my time getting them. The goal was 3, but as soon as I realized they were being replaced I picked up 2 more. Now they are pretty pricey and the new ones are $50?!? We went from like $35 to $50 for trees? Come on.

Offline jauntyharrison

• Members
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2019, 01:59:05 AM »
I'm likewise glad I finally resolved to pick up the last of what I was wanting from the current inventory a couple of weeks ago. I feel like I got in and out right under the wire. I'd also already reached the point where the most desirable parts for my project were 6th edition plastics and metals off of ebay. Still, I wish I had picked up another box of archers when they could still be had without a markup. I suppose the only shock is that before this morning I thought I was making an Age of Sigmar Army. Turns out it was a SAGA Age of Magic / KoW / Erehwon army all along.

Offline Gargolock

• Members
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 02:33:42 AM »
I am happy I picked up the plastic Empire General Kit when I could. I wasn't planning on using many citadel models for my upcoming army but the ones I was considering are seemingly OOP now. Its really confusing to me why they are cutting some of these kits.

Why would you keep a single posed empire general kit but not the multipart plastic one?

Either way I hope my local hobby shop has the master engineer still sitting in there, I kinda want that guy. I doubt we will see any of these kits make a return, maybe the War Altar will be a made to order one day because Volkmar is in it. Luthor Huss is another candidate that would work for a Made to Order, other than them and maybe a few of the finecast sculpts. I doubt we will see any of these models again after this.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 03:17:16 AM »
I picked up a General kit, and a box of greatswords at a local hobby store today.  No more huntsmen available at either of the store I stopped at.

I also got a box of the metal Chaos knights ... $35, yes!  And a battle box of Orcs and Goblins from 6th edition era ... $90, yes!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 01:25:54 PM »
I'm actually fine with it …..

…. makes my stock of boxes even more valuable.

:engel:
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2019, 05:42:26 PM »
 :icon_lol:  That is a positive way to look at it. :::cheers:::

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 01:23:38 PM »
yeah, models are harder to come by for sure. On Fleabay, some of my old models are now $10 to $20 dollars apiece!  I've been trading with Racticus some stuff back and forth.  I gave him some of my Empire models, and got Two Boxes of Stormvermin and 15 metal greatswords back on the trade. 

I've switch over to Kings of War entirely.  It isn't that I think the rules are perfect by any means, but I a lot of my old friends are playing it so I am too. I even went to a tournament and humiliated myself.  :D

There are LOTS of good models for Empire out there that are FAR cheaper and look great!  I REALLY like the Pike and Shotte models.  They have basically greatswords, polearms, handgunners and pikemen! 

"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 01:45:12 PM »
Been doing some searching on line for huntsmen, but can't find any currently. :icon_sad:

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2019, 11:55:14 AM »
@GamesPoet  - it's gonna be a challenge as they've been a direct only item for at least a year. Maybe check some brick and mortar stores, maybe there's a box somwhere out there, sitting on a back shelf?

@Atchman - there's a lot of alternatives, but unfortunately very few things match the heroic scale of citadel. The proportions and height of the Warlord's, Perry's and other historical miniatures just looks way off (at least to me). I'd have to start a whole new army, using nothing but the historical models and that's not what me and many others are after - which is expanding our current forces. That is going to be more and more difficult over time.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2019, 11:58:29 AM »
Yep, that's how I found the greatswords, general kit, orcs & goblins 6th edition battle box, chaos metal knights.

Not going to be easy, but it'll be an adventure!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2019, 03:40:06 PM »
I've got 10 or so boxes GP   :engel:
If you're over the pond anytime soon … ... … … (Postage would probably be ridiculous)

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2019, 03:56:13 PM »
Midaski has 10 boxes?! :icon_eek: :icon_lol:

Got to get a passport first.  Before I invade Britain. :icon_wink:

Offline KindledAshe

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2019, 04:42:12 PM »
Odd question and off topic, but since they kinda are maybe not too off topic. I have 10 archers atm, would it be worth getting more? ALSO IF IT IS YOU LOOKING TO SELL, MIDASKI?! :P

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2019, 05:32:53 PM »
Well ... I'd say it is worth it to get more.  I have multiple ideas on what to use them for in modeling different provinces or whatever.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2019, 09:00:30 PM »
They were a fantastic kit which, if you remember came out with the plastic "Goldswords" and the furore that followed.
Along with a lot of others I suspect, it was the beginning of the end of my love affair with GW, and the time when I started looking at all the other manufacturers out there.

As I recall the Goldswords were a 65 odd piece kit for £25 and an Empire 'Special' choice

The Huntsmen/Archers were a Core unit 95 piece kit for just £15

The bodies were great for the Renaissance look, and the arms from all the other plastic kits worked fine - so hey presto a quite different looking combat unit in your army.