home

Author Topic: What’s up with War Machines?  (Read 806 times)

Offline Clymer

• Members
What’s up with War Machines?
« on: April 19, 2024, 09:26:52 PM »
From the Unit Level stats on Woehammer, it looks like template based war machines are doing well to very good. Cannons and bolt throwers, not so much. Elf RBTs don’t show up on the lists, but I’ve faced them twice and while their potential is quite scary, they have done f@ckall in the games I’ve faced them.

The Helblaster seems to overperform the army average for Empire, but not by much. My experience with cannons this edition is that they have been solid, but not overwhelming.

It’s not clear to me why templates are so good when the scatters are so bad and base sizes have gotten bigger, meaning fewer hits. I’m also struggling to understand why non-template war machines are so poor.

Thoughts?
Note: The above post was intended for entertainment purposes only and may contain views not necessarily held by its author. Any similarity to actual facts is purely coincidental.

Offline PowerSeries

• Members
Re: What’s up with War Machines?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 10:23:15 PM »
Well my Bretonion opponents seem to make every +5 ward save when I shoot them with the cannon, but that's not statistical.

A Griffon costs basically the same as a cannon, and I feel has more impact on the game usually. 

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 10:30:39 PM »
It could also have something to do with how the stats are calculated. Cannons should still be strong. Mine have been decent but I generally don't leave home without 2

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2024, 04:50:17 AM »
It could also have something to do with how the stats are calculated. Cannons should still be strong. Mine have been decent but I generally don't leave home without 2

From the sounds of it your local meta is atypical and from memory you're playing smaller (1250-1500) games?
Don't hug me I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2024, 05:14:26 AM »
I mean, I would take 2 cannons in an all comers list: a great cannon and a steam tank.
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2024, 07:24:20 AM »
I do play smaller games and players are stil reasonably careful around cannons

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2024, 06:45:23 PM »
From the Unit Level stats on Woehammer, it looks like template based war machines are doing well to very good. Cannons and bolt throwers, not so much. Elf RBTs don’t show up on the lists, but I’ve faced them twice and while their potential is quite scary, they have done f@ckall in the games I’ve faced them.

I think Empire Great Cannons have lost something, but also have become a little bit more reliable (no ones anymore). Of course if people come from the eighth, laser-sighted cannons causing less wounds might feel bad, and maybe they avoid cannons because of that. Me, coming from the 6th, I can appreciate the measuring.

I think Great Cannons are average. And the Empire needs them.

Bolt throwers are about what they used to be, and I find them versatile. For low BS armies, they're still a hit and miss weapon, but Elf players always take them for their effectiveness. And because the army doesn't have other warmachines.

Stone Throwers I think are very good now.

The Helblaster seems to overperform the army average for Empire, but not by much. My experience with cannons this edition is that they have been solid, but not overwhelming.

I've had really really bad luck with my Helblaster. Or rather my opponents have killed it time and again, often without it getting a single shot out. So I cannot say much from experience. Other than that my opponents prioritize it as a target, which might tell something.

Statistically, I think the HBVG used to be equivalent to 25 Handgunners in the 6th ed, and now I think it's equivalent to 15-20 Crossbowmen. Those Crossbowmen are much more unwieldy and have a big footprint, but they have longer range, more wounds, and can do something in combat too with numbers and close order. I'm contemplating using them instead (divided into several units/detachments), but their big footprint is a problem, especially now on 25mm bases.

HBVG with an Engineer is good in theory, and I hear in practice too. The combo is a lot of points, but give the Engineer a decent weapon and place another warmachine within his command radius, and I think all in all he should be quite good.

It’s not clear to me why templates are so good when the scatters are so bad and base sizes have gotten bigger, meaning fewer hits. I’m also struggling to understand why non-template war machines are so poor.

Not clear to me either. My experience, and my calculations, with the Mortar suggest it's a pretty poor choice for its points. Then again I've been unlucky with it.

But the Mortar can hide from the enemy and still lob random shots, even at hidden enemies. And it's still a moderately efficient tool against tightly packed horde armies with T3. Maybe it forces the enemy to move, opening up targets for other units?

-Zyg
Live in peace and prosper.

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2024, 07:43:02 PM »
The indirect fire is why I like the helstorm rocket battery as well.

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2024, 08:14:51 PM »
The mortar can also snipe chariots and monsters granted at less strength then a cannon and less damage.

Offline Rodman49

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2024, 06:34:52 AM »
The ability to shoot indirectly (i.e. project force without exposure) is a HUGE advantage for template war machines.

Also the helblaster - while good is a far cry from its 4e-6e version which auto-hit.  It's worth taking but really needs an engineer . . . and then is a much larger investment.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2024, 04:43:41 PM »
Indirect shooting is good.
Blast templates might scatter but they scatter into other units.
Mortar is cheaper.

Sounds like you guys play with low points so there isn't enough units on table to block line of sight or scatter into.

Edit: it is worth noting that it's still a 1-hit wonder weapon. So it has all the drawbacks and benefits of a 1-hit wonder weapon.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 04:20:18 PM by The Peacemaker »
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Edwin von Dufflecoat

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2024, 02:18:03 PM »
So far ive lost every game i took a warmachine in, won both games without them. They just dont seem to have an impact.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2024, 08:18:13 AM »
Sounds like you guys play with low points so there isn't enough units on table to block line of sight or scatter into.

In the first game I played against a Night Goblin horde, I rolled like three Misfires, and got two glancing hits (because of scatter), killing something like three gobbos. The Mortar was then destroyed. Anything else would have been better.

In the next game I played against a Night Goblin horde, my Mortar continuously scattered away from the goblin hordes, but got one good hit on a skirmishing Squig Herd, which killed something like three squigs and two goblins. The latter impact might have been meaningful in the game, as the herd just about couldn't win their next combat. But overall the Mortar was lacklustre, and a cannon or any other shooting unit would have done significantly better.

I may have been exceptionally unlucky, but even against T3 horde armies, the scatter and S2 just suck away the fun.

I've played 6th ed Dwarf Grudge Throwers against Dark Elfs in thin lines, and even with several direct hits (I aim well & have accuracy runes), they just don't kill many. With larger base sizes, they're even less efficient in TOW.

In 6th ed, the Empire Mortar isn't that good even against Skaven hordes. You score good hits approximately half the time, but you just don't kill enough to make a real difference. Actually, my best use of Mortars has been against other Empire armies, where the Empire infantry units tend to have the sweet spot of relatively high numbers and relatively high cost. Once, I got a direct hit on a flanking unit of Pistoliers, killed 4/5 and they panicked and ran away. In that one game among dozens, the Mortar shone.

This is my experience, and it isn't connected to playing against 'wrong type' of armies. It's connected to poor hitting and poor wounding, which are hallmarks of Empire Mortars, and doubly so in TOW. At 95pts I'd think thrice before getting one into my list.

-Zyg

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2024, 10:11:05 PM »
I would say for the points, I think a bunch of crossbowmen are probably a better choice than a Mortar.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2024, 06:00:05 AM »
I would say for the points, I think a bunch of crossbowmen are probably a better choice than a Mortar.

Totally.

I'm arguing that a bunch of Crossbowmen are probably as good as a HBVG. For roughly equal points.

-Zyg

Offline Minsc

• Members
  • Grumpy Berserker of Rashemen.
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2024, 11:38:24 AM »

Totally.

I'm arguing that a bunch of Crossbowmen are probably as good as a HBVG. For roughly equal points.

-Zyg

Take both. Core needs to be taken regardless so they're not mutually exclusive.

Offline madeinitaly1

• Members
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2024, 05:30:20 PM »
About war machines... I tried the helblaster with the engineer 165 useless points, they managed to kill 3 bretonnian knights

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2024, 05:42:37 PM »
About war machines... I tried the helblaster with the engineer 165 useless points, they managed to kill 3 bretonnian knights

Yeah, it sure is super swingy and gets killed rather easily.

Tried twelve Crossbows last game, and they were quite reliable. The extra range was super handy, as they could shoot the first turn (before my opponent moved), and continuously found targets during the game without wasting time in movement.

Sure one or two good shots from a HBVG would have done more. But I never seem to get those anyway, so found the reliability and cheapness more pleasing.

-Zyg

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2024, 06:32:16 PM »
I've been taking a block of 20 crossbowmen. Typically I face elves and brets and ong. What have you been taking zyg?

Offline madeinitaly1

• Members
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2024, 07:46:22 PM »
I've been taking a block of 20 crossbowmen. Typically I face elves and brets and ong. What have you been taking zyg?
Sure is better than an helblaster, but isn't 20 too wide? How do you manage to deploy them?

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2024, 07:54:49 PM »
Sure is better than an helblaster, but isn't 20 too wide? How do you manage to deploy them?
At least 10 wide to 12 wide. It's pretty durable. If I take wounds from shooting (elves) it doesn't affect my shooting output. Small chaff units can't just run you over either since you got the numbers and in a pinch since the unit is close order you get that extra static res late game. I've had mixed success.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2024, 06:51:02 AM »

I'm practically playing with a 6th ed army, so focus on maneuver, cavalry attacks and magic. I don't take more than one unit of CB's, and try to place it on a hill to minimize width.

I love the HBVG for its small footprint and ability to turn around before shooting. But it's just so unreliable, easily killed and often left without good targets because of the short range and all the things taking place on the battlefield.

My regular opponents include OnG (Nigh Gobbos!), Dwarfs (both shooty and melee orientated), and some Brets, DE, CD, what have you got. I also play OnG (Night Gobbos!) and Dwarfs myself.

-Zyg

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2024, 09:03:20 AM »
Placing the 5+ ward save from elementalism on your high priority war machines discourages the opponent to kill the warmachines via shooting. You can also use the priest of sigmar prayer one.

The opponent might not even shoot at the war machine with the 5+ ward on it but that also means the spell is doing it's job.

@zyg
Since old world came out my gaming group got a lot bigger. In two different gaming groups now. So it's pretty much the full spectrum. There is a lot of elf players thou.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 05:18:59 PM by Footpatrol2 »