home

Author Topic: Plog: Averland 8th [last update: 10 june '11]  (Read 6869 times)

Offline Willem I

• Members
  • Sovereign Prince of the Netherlands
Plog: Averland 8th [last update: 10 june '11]
« on: June 10, 2011, 07:49:29 AM »
In this project-/painting log I will keep track of my painting progress. Also its a reference for myself, and hopefully it can keep me extra motivated to paint!

Without further ado, the Grand l'Armee! I have surfed the boards, and gotten some advice here and there, so I decided to get this as a starting point.

I did discover the Knights in the batallion come only with Lances - so I cant create them with 2h weapons :( I could always use Greatswords Weapons, though - I dislike the curved blades, but they might look cool on Knights :)
To keep things within control, I decided to assemble one batallion box first, paint them, and then start with the rest. So here's the first batallion box spray painted.

Even though I got a good sense of my colour scheme; based on the Dutch uniform during the Napoleon Wars. I started with 5 halberdiers as a colour test. Some days ago I got a cannon crew painted from the 6th edition starter box as a quick way to test the scheme, but these should be the real test. I found it hard to put white somewhere on the models, and I think they are quite dark. Ow,almost forgot to mention, these models arent finished yet, I just got the base-colour and wash on.

And then something more for myself as reference, then for you guys, the paints I use for the different colours.

Painting scheme Averland 8th Militia

White primer

Blue
Basecoat: Enchanted Blue
Wash: Blue Ink
Highlight: Enchanted Blue
Second highlight: Electric Blue

White
Basecoat: Ice Blue
Wash: Badab Black
Highlight: Ice Blue
Second Highlight: Dead White

Orange
Basecoat: Blazing Orange
Wash: Skin Wash
Highlight: Blazing Orange
Second Highlight: Bleached Bone

Grey
Basecoat: Neutral Grey
Highlight: Neutral Grey
Second Highlight: Stonewall Grey/Medium Sea Grey?

Brown
Basecoat: Beast Brown
Wash: Skin Wash
Highlight: Beast Brown
Second Highlight: tbd

Black
Basecoat: Black
Highlight: tbd
Second Highlight: tbd

Metal
Basecoat: Gunmetal Metal
Highlight: Gunmetal Metal
Second Highlight: Silver

Hopefully I can finish the first five Halberdiers today, or later this weekend. I will keep you guys updated :) C&C is more then welcome!
History in the making: Averland 8th Militia

In my sword, the wind.
In my heart, courage.
In my eyes, death.
I am Matsu.

~ from Kakito Marushijins play, No Mans Bride

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: Plog: Averland 8th [last update: 10 june '11]
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 10:38:58 AM »
Looks great so far!! Though from the color list (your reference) and the WIP figures I can't see the resemblence yet with the Averland scheme of Yellow/Black (or yellow/dark blue).

Though I have added you to the Averland list in the List of painting blogs. Depending on your answer I might move you down to the other color schemes section.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Willem I

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 04:42:55 PM »
I am not going for the Averland colours - even though my army hails from that province. The colours I am going to use are blue/grey for uniforms, with orange banners. Hats, belts and boots will be black. So I think its better if you move me with the other colour scheme section :)

In my sword, the wind.
In my heart, courage.
In my eyes, death.
I am Matsu.

Offline Vredesbyrd

• Members
  • Chair for the Public Misunderstanding of Magic
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 05:37:53 PM »
This army looks to be off to a very strong start, nice large amount of stuff for you to be building there as well as a good individualistic colour scheme. Do you think you'll write up fluff justification for the different coloured Averlanders at all?
My Nordland Empire Log
The Emperor's Schilling
Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

Offline TheElectorCount43

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 05:44:23 PM »
If you dropped the second battalion and added a handgunner/crossbowmen box instead, you'd have the same things I bought when I started. Hope it goes well, thats a lot of models to paint, might be a while...

Offline Hendrid

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 09:30:43 PM »
Good start on the army. Another Averland blog, huzzah! The different livery should be intersting en masse. Look forward to see more.

Offline Willem I

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 04:49:00 PM »
It's been a while since I have posted something about my army. I haven't done anything about it until the Eurobash. There I have played a couple of games - most of which I lost horribly - and they sparked my interest in painting again. Most Eurobashers had painted armies, some of which where really supperb. Though I am not a great painter by any standards, I am able of creating a tabletop quality army that fits my idea.

So, I have started painting. All-in-all I have painted: 30 halberdiers, 5 handgunners, 15 swordsmen and 5 pistoliers. I also have a cannon with crew painted, but they where painted allready. Just had to finish the bases. This is the first part of a 1k army I have in mind.

First up the cannon, which I based. The cannon was the first model of this army I painted, and therefor I used them to try out the colour scheme.

Next up are the halberdiers. I painted the first 10 with more detail, but I abondoned that idea after seeing the sea of models I yet had to paint. Maybe when a bigger army is finished, the additions will be painted in more detail. About halfway I switched the painting method in the trousers from a grey to a more white-grey with a wash added. The colour isnt that much different. For the banner I need to add a free-hand, something I am not confident in (yet). Maybe when I get more painting done I am going to try it, otherwise I am going to ask a friend to paint it for me. I don't want to screw it up :)

Next up I painted some swordsmen. I choose to not paint the command, so it can serve as a detachment. At this time I began to dislike the bare-foot model, and decided to paint the feet just like they where boots - black.

Then I painted 5 handgunners. Supposed to be a detachment and safe place for my wizard, if I field one.

And then to finish this first part off, I painted pistoliers. I liked our pistoliers in the battle against the Orks at the Eurobash. Also I like the models. I added a little more detail to show off their status (the striped arms). The horses are painted in colours close to the colours of the first 5 horse pictures you find when one googles 'horse'.

Entire painted progress so far:

That's it so far. I am pretty proud to have painted this much, even if it isnt painted to high standards. The varnish is still a bit glossy, so will probably lightly dust the army with matt varnish once its done. I want to finish 15 more swordsmen, about 13 handgunners and then a bsb and a priest. That together should get me up to 1k pts.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:05:15 PM by Willem I »

In my sword, the wind.
In my heart, courage.
In my eyes, death.
I am Matsu.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 08:33:41 PM »
looking good, i especially like the grey and blue combo
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline mhewson

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 03:43:39 AM »
that looks great I like the approach to the bare feet - they are just minimalists :P)
http://www.rei.com/product/820539/vibram-fivefingers-komodosport-ls-multisport-shoes-mens

Offline Willem I

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 06:35:36 AM »
Those shoes are horrible! Lol.

Thanks for the kind replies :)

In my sword, the wind.
In my heart, courage.
In my eyes, death.
I am Matsu.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 08:21:13 AM »
Going good there Willem!!
Nice to see the Eurobash inspired you so much, now stop painting and let me catch up  :engel:
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989