The Empire at War ... The Gamers Guild > The Old World Cometh Again !!!

Free company

(1/7) > >>

Footpatrol2:
Has anyone tried this yet? As in a combat block like 28 ish? They look interesting.

Minsc:
I've tried them as detachments.

Would never use them as a big combat block. Impetuous is fine on them, I can work with that - but them having Levies as well is just too much.

Ld6(7) even with Warband, when you can't use your Generals IP or BSBs HtL just means that my Free Company would run off the table more often than not.

commandant:
Mind you Men-at-arms have this difficulty as well.   I think they could be interesting. Are you considering deploying 7-8 wide

Minsc:

--- Quote from: commandant on April 24, 2024, 10:29:14 AM ---Mind you Men-at-arms have this difficulty as well.   I think they could be interesting. Are you considering deploying 7-8 wide

--- End quote ---

But Yeoman Guard don't. :icon_wink:
If I play my Empire as Brets, I'm using Exiles/Border Princes-rules.

The thing is that Free Company cost about as much as spearmen (1 ppm less than Empire Spears if you give them shields, 1 ppm more than Exlie-spears), and have about the same number of S3 attacks most of the time (2 attacks per model in the front rank vs. 1 attack in 2 ranks - there are pro's and con's to both).
Then they do have S3 throwing weapons, but they also have no armour and Levies.

Can they work? Probably, but imo the tradeoff just isn't worth it.

Skyros:

--- Quote from: commandant on April 24, 2024, 10:29:14 AM ---Mind you Men-at-arms have this difficulty as well.   I think they could be interesting. Are you considering deploying 7-8 wide

--- End quote ---

Men at arms are substantially more reliable

Men at Arms can use the leadership, not only of the general, but of any other knight with a vow within 6 inches

Of course, since they have warband, they can be rocking around with leadership 9 all on their own, in any case. And of course one of their unit champions can be upgraded to give them stubborn, and if you're running a battle line of them, you can just plop down a 45 point sergeant at arms in the middle unit that lets them give ground instead of fallback as much as they want, and makes them immune to panic from other levies, and can let all levies within command range reroll failed panic tests.

He's basically a mini BSB/captain/permanent shieldwall combo for peasants.

And naturally, being peasants, the enemy gets no VP for capturing their banners, so they are a pretty risk free investment for line infantry, since they are 50% cheaper than free company/state troops.

And, notably, yeomen guard are still peasants, without being levies. AND veterans. And two points cheaper than an empire spearman or one point cheaper than a free company.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version