home

Author Topic: Timbor's Fantasy Log (12-7 Westfalia Halflings)  (Read 70848 times)

Offline Timbor

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log (05-28 Big Update)
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2011, 05:14:46 PM »
Thanks, GP!

The gripping beast russians worked pretty well.  I find their sculpting to be a bit basic on these figures (though I really like the looks of their plastic vikings).  The horses actually come with the byzantine like barding (at least some do).  They are from the medieval russian range.  I have 5 more which have had the horses painted, but not the riders.  The full command is with those guys.  I am hoping to finish em before I move in 3 weeks.

The ROB board was actually quite easy to do, and I even got my wife to help me.  I think she liked that it was a bit more of a 'macro' project as she continually says she doesnt have the patience to even try to paint a miniature  :engel:
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline Blue in vt

• Members
« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2011, 04:09:21 AM »
 :::cheers:::

Looks like babyhammer 1st ed hasn't totally knock you off course! Nice keep up the excellent work...this is one of my favorite threads to follow.

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting and Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2011, 04:12:34 AM »
Your wife helped?  Thats so cool! :::cheers::: :::cheers:::

My last significant relationship, she wouldn't touch the minis, quite supportive of me doing my hobby, and she played GW's Man O'War.  Oh well.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2011, 06:48:23 AM »
Nice work here :::cheers:::
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2011, 11:59:29 PM »
The brewing squad is great!

I like the looters as well.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log (05-28 Update)
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2011, 09:58:40 PM »

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2011, 03:21:15 AM »
I have actually been pretty active over the past couple months.  I finished a unit of 20 of the old school Rulglud's armoured orcs, which have not yet been photographed, as well as participating in the first conversion contest at DWP.  I have been painting up some stuff as hobby reports for A5.5.  While its all greenskin related, perhaps you may appreciate it.

First up, some old MB2 orcs and other orcs from the 1980s:

Next, an orc battleship from Uncharted Seas:

I have high hopes to paint up an old halfling unit that I have recently acquired in time for EoW...  Time will tell!
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Offline Timbor

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log (09-15 Update)
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2011, 01:20:12 AM »
No love for the old orcs?  :engel:

Finished the orc frigates from my uncharted seas orc fleet.  They are being used as 'snotling pump dinghies' in my A5.5 fluff:

Snotlings are good for little else other than kicking around. The problem is there are so many of them, that it takes you forever to kick them all! Dok Dentokk, having been contacted by an envoy from da Krushin Fists has been granted a technology they employed to great effect in the battle against Nippon - the snotling pump dinghie. These crude paddleboats are made from makeshift scrap and are powered by countless snotlings turning the paddlewheels. While they are not capable of much actual damage, they work splendidly to bog down larger ships as they struggle to repel the swarm of tiny greenskins swarming their ships and stealing their valuables.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 01:24:19 AM by Timbor »

Offline Blue in vt

• Members
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2011, 02:43:00 AM »
 :::cheers:::

I love the old orcs...particularly the Marauder ones...and you have painted yours splendidly...photo saved for inspiration!!

Blue

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2011, 03:02:37 AM »
Funny you should say that, I was partly inspired by your works on the MB2 and MM25 orcs  :icon_redface:

I am now only missing the champion from the MB2 regiment, the one with 2 axes.  I have at least one of all the others, I think...

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2011, 09:07:03 AM »
Old orcs are nice orcs.

They look realistic.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »
Marauder orcs!

I love marauder orcs. I have a big unit of them.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2011, 03:28:48 AM »
Indeed!  I think I have enough for a unit of about 30 now.  Just need to paint some more.

I also have 20 of the old school rugluds painted up - those things paint up fast!  I should get a picture of those too...

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2011, 03:46:28 AM »
New update!

First, I finished off the remainder of the orc starter fleet by painting up the 3 cruisers:

Next, I decided to try something different, and idea that has been growing and developing for some time now.  You see, I went and bought a bunch of halflings.  I wanted to try something special with the little chaps.  Then, last week 023 posted the most delightful link on making scenery using faux fur.  I decided not to make a gaming table that would probably not get used.  Instead, I am going to try and base my halflings using the fur, to depict a cut hayfield.  The unit will hopefully get some sort of haywagon as a unit filler (stand-in war altar perhaps?  :engel:)

Here is my test fig:

My potential hay wagon would be this.  I just have to get around to ordering it:

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log (09-30 Update)
« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2011, 07:57:17 AM »
That halfling is great, I really like it and what you have done with it. The brown leather effect is fab (and something I could never achieve with my stupid insistence on using enamels). There's only one problem with it - I now, for the first time in 43 years, have a desire to collect a halfling army. It's new feeling for me. I must fight it, though, too many other projects to sort first.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2011, 08:51:21 AM »
Those ships really reminded me of the Warcraft 2 ships. Not bad at all!
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Blue in vt

• Members
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2011, 09:33:03 AM »
I think it looks pretty cool Tim, my only concern would be about the edge of the fabric that over hangs the base base edge a little... Other than that it's am ery cool idea.  How hard was it to get it cut to size?

I agree with the above.... The figure it self is very well painted and those warships look like fun.
Cheers,

Blue

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2011, 11:57:14 AM »
I just used scissors to cut it to size, wasn't too hard.  I also had to trim the fur, as it was originally about as tall as the halfling (not too good for a 'mowed' field).  I see what you mean though, I might have to trim it a bit more.  Otherwise I might try gluing some sand or flock or something to hide the edge. 

I also had to paint the fur (it came white) so what I did was first use some dark brown watered down, and dipped the fabric bottom into it to get it brown (like soil).  Then for the actual 'hairs' I first used some watered down goblin green, and more or less drybrushed it in.  I then did the same with Bubonic Brown.  The colours are a bit washed out on the hay/grass in these photos.  Must need to improve my makeshift photo studio.

@Padre - I would love to see one of your batreps coming out of the moot!  Thebattleforge has enough of a line to make an entire army, I am just not sold on their sculpts though.  There seems to be lots of the old old GW halflings on ebay these days... you should be able to get then for a similar price to the BF ones, maybe a tad more.  It would just take time.  Then there are the less common GW imperial halflings, of which I have a ton of archers (Blue can attest to this).  I have been scrounging to find the spear and sword halflings from that range, and I think I have enough of those for a small unit too  :engel:

Also, the leather effect was dark flesh with snakebite leather highlights.  Then wash black.  Then snakebite the highlights again, with a final small highlight of  Reaper leather brown (a very light brown).

@Syphon - Yeah, they do kinda have a warcraft feel to em!  They were nice and simple to paint up.  If I had better freehand skills I could have made the sails look spectacular.

Offline WallyTWest

• Members
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2011, 07:20:06 PM »
Dude, I love your river troll like a long lost child. Please do/post more.
It’s all about Renaissance Punk.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2011, 07:34:38 PM »
The halfling looks like Benny Hill.

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2011, 11:36:02 PM »
The halfling looks like Benny Hill.

Great, now I have the ending theme in my head.....

Great conversion work though. I can't wait to see how a whole unit looks.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #96 on: November 23, 2011, 04:01:15 AM »
Ok, I have gotten some more work done, despite being sidetracked by hunting season  :engel:

I added 5 more halflings to my group, the original is included with the shot.  As was mentioned before, the fur/grass needs some work to try and hide the edges of the fabric on the base.  I am still trying to think of how to do that.  Perhaps I will cut it short and glue on some of the fur trimmings to try and hide the fabric edge.

I also got my battleforge halfling hay cart painted, but I still have to cut and finish a base for it.  It will go on a 40x80mm base and act as a unit filler.  The battleforge stuff is ok, but it makes me sad to put it beside the citadel ones - marauder or 4th edition.  The sculpting quality is just so much better on the GW side...

I liked the patch coloured pony.  I think I may use that scheme again when I paint some WK dwarf ponies.  Speaking of WK, through my own skills of persuasion, I got ahold of a couple master castings of his goblins, and had a blast painting them  up:

Now, to give a short review - the body sculpts are very smooth and detailed, making the minis easy to paint.  The detailing on the clothing is bold enough to allow easy drybrushing and highlighting.  The weapon hands required some filing to get a better fit, but I am not sure how that would change on the production molds, as I am ignorant to such things.  The head on the left was my least favourite, but I only got 3 head options and opted to save the sallet head for later.  I thought the face details to be a bit rough, and I always find it hard to paint eyes that are partially obscured by a hat.  I imagine most of the other heads will be nicer, as the one on the right is simply outstanding.  Needless to say, I look forward to ordering a bundle of these, and so should you (as long as I can order my fill first!).  The bodies will probably lend themselves well to having halfling heads too.  Thanks, WK, for your contribution to the hobby by having these guys made!

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log (11-22 Update)
« Reply #97 on: November 23, 2011, 01:25:11 PM »
I love the bright green skintone, very much in the classic GW tradition.

Regarding the fit of the weapons, most should fit fine, but a couple can benefit from a quick pass with the drill in the socket or the file as mould shrinkage and the limitation on how deep you can make the sockets without tearing the mould when getting them out can make it a bit tight. That and the fact they are pushed to the limits of their versatility of course. In any event, no major surgery should be involved.

Offline Timbor

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log (11-22 Update)
« Reply #98 on: November 23, 2011, 05:47:43 PM »
Yeah, it was no big deal.  I put a file in the sockets and reamed them out a bit, then just filed the ends of the hands a bit and they fit fine.  On the plus side, mold lines were minimal or nonexistant, so preparing them actually took very little time!

Offline Timbor

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log (01-14 Update)
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2012, 03:44:07 AM »
After a busy December, I shook off some laziness and got around to painting some fine kislevites that I acquired from another user here.  Got this Kossar and Horse Archer finished, pretty happy with the results.  The kossar was a breeze to paint!  Lots of details but the brush just seemed to find them with no problems.

Hope you like em!